Discuss Scratch

FinalFantasyVIII
New Scratcher
18 posts

Trademark and the Scratch online community

The studio isn't even trademarked. They shouldn't have the right to just… mess with people's personal belongings that are shared with other people.

WE WON!!!
-Scribbler-
Scratcher
35 posts

mozarty wrote:

Interesting.
What's the most interesting is how it got edited before the post was made.
-Scribbler-
Scratcher
35 posts

-Scribbler- wrote:

mozarty wrote:

Interesting.
What's the most interesting is how it got edited before the post was made.
Oops, nvm, I made a mistake.
fireaction2001
Scratcher
100+ posts

xD REALLY?! “Oh hi, we're from a multimillion dolor museum, and we think that a compilation of children's animations being followed by 7 people might be getting half as popular as us. Please devastate them and remove their hard work from the face of internet. Thankyou.”

*Insert cringey early 2000's meme here*
SANDIman
Scratcher
8 posts

when green flag clicked
Well Trade marks is bad:cool:
thehendershot
New Scratcher
1 post

Yeesh that is a bit harsh like really your going to sue a bunch of kids? really? what kind of person would do that! its not like we are using it in a commercial like wow people…..tnx
JTAChicago
Scratcher
11 posts

The_Duke wrote:

well that clears up allot about ™ for me btw first to see!
funonthebungames
Scratcher
24 posts

when green flag clicked
broadcast [trademarks! v]

when I receive [trademarks v]
show
say [crazy!] for (2) secs
stop [trademarks v]
VoltageGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just like NAMCO and that one Pac Man project that got taken down…
I believe cheddagirl once said about NAMCO: (This is a paraphrase, of course)
I guess they thought a young kids project about pac man was gonna lose them tons of money…
I suppose it's the same for Animation Hall of Fame.

i3-6100 / r9 380 / 8 gigs ram / 1 tb hdd

Click here to inflate my ego and thank me for my posts.

CutieCreator
Scratcher
29 posts

No one would confuse a studio with 30 second animations and a big GIANT museum with 2 hour movies. But if you're talking about legal stuff……..

forever
live
love
be cool
scratch
end
LightningGuy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Recently the owner of the registered trademark for “Animation Hall of Fame” contacted us to request that we rename or remove a Scratch Studio titled “Animation Hall of Fame”. Apparently when one Googles “Animation Hall of Fame,” the link to their organization is first, but the results also include a link to a Scratch Studio with the same name.

We see the value of trademark law: We wouldn't want anyone else to be able to create a programming language called Scratch. That could lead to a lot of confusion, and wouldn't be fair. However, there are limits to how broadly trademark should be applied. For example, if someone created a skateboard called Scratch, I don't think we'd have much reason to complain (as long as they weren't using our logo, or claiming some kind of association or endorsement from us.)

But in this case, we don't feel that this trademark claim is reasonable or fair. According to the About page on their website, their “Animation Hall of Fame” is:

“To be located in the Central Florida area of the United States, the Animation Hall of Fame, Inc. complex will be an international interactive, entertainment attraction honoring the history and heritage of Animation from around the world. This state of the art high-tech complex and each of its venues will be designed to educate and entertain animation fans and non-fans alike from around the world.”
( http://animationhalloffame.org/about.html )

The Scratch studio formerly titled “Animation Hall of Fame” is, well, a Scratch studio: A webpage, created by a Scratcher, that shows projects made by kids who are learning to program animations with Scratch, a free programming tool created at MIT.

http://scratch.mit.edu/studios/346625/
(Check it out- there are some good Scratch animations in there!)

Is it really reasonable to demand that we rename this Scratch studio to avoid possible confusion between a multimillion dollar complex in Florida, and a webpage with some Scratch projects? We really don't think so. But because taking legal action to contest this would be very expensive and time consuming, we agreed to change the title of the studio formerly known as “Animation Hall of Fame” to: “Scratch Hall of Fame - Animation.” I guess this clarifies what should be pretty obvious: A webpage with some Scratch projects is not likely to be confused with a multimillion dollar museum.
I agree. I don't think that one Scratch Studio should become a conflict. If the studio became famous worldwide(WE NEED BILLBOARDS) then I think that it should be considered a problem. If it's just a kid who went to the animation hall of fame and created a random studio and added projects made by kids it shouldn't be considered a problem.

Oh, and you just lost the game.
jrezneckbhds
Scratcher
500+ posts

SnowKittyartist
Scratcher
14 posts

im shaking

Last edited by SnowKittyartist (Nov. 25, 2014 22:37:44)

You won't be unknown anymore
whisperingscreams
Scratcher
4 posts

atorubarov wrote:

That studio Aniumation Hall of Fame should change its name in orde to be fair.
if Google finds out it will be MAD. That's why try to make him change that name

Well, yeah. Maybe. But they could be kind and understanding people and just force us to delete it
Zacshap21
Scratcher
100+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

mozarty wrote:

The thing is, kids, which predominantly make up the Scratch website, do not and will not take the time to search up a trademark.

And this is at the core of the issue - should kids who are making Scratch studios be required to search a trademark database before choosing a general name? We really don't think so: There isn't a likelihood of confusion.

Especially for a vey general trademark. Such as animation hall of fame. I mean, Animations are one of the most popular types of projects on scratch, so why should trademarks be a problem? Aren't all scratch projects under a license or something once they are shared on the scratch website? The Creative Commons Share-Alike or something if I'm not mistaken? Or are studios not applied?

Play Pong! against a computer player! Earn Fire and Gold Power-Ups to throw off your opponent and get the highest score possible! Click the above to play!
Cool_Guy10
Scratcher
35 posts

wkelly42 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Is it really reasonable to demand that we rename this Scratch studio to avoid possible confusion between a multimillion dollar complex in Florida, and a webpage with some Scratch projects? We really don't think so. But because taking legal action to contest this would be very expensive and time consuming, we agreed to change the title of the studio formerly known as “Animation Hall of Fame” to: “Scratch Hall of Fame - Animation.” I guess this clarifies what should be pretty obvious: A webpage with some Scratch projects is not likely to be confused with a multimillion dollar museum.
And THAT is why so many cease and desist letters are sent out about things like this. The lawyer KNOWS that it's a flimsy case at best, but they also know that people can't afford to fight it. They get what they want without having to have solid legal footing.

</rant>
Hmm. Is that because laywers are expensive? Slimy.
Cool_Guy10
Scratcher
35 posts

FinalFantasyVIII wrote:

The studio isn't even trademarked. They shouldn't have the right to just… mess with people's personal belongings that are shared with other people.
Right you are.
krymat
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'd just rename it, less trouble than going through legal issues,

Erratically active elder.
Just happy to be here.
Tymewalk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

whisperingscreams wrote:

atorubarov wrote:

That studio Aniumation Hall of Fame should change its name in orde to be fair.
if Google finds out it will be MAD. That's why try to make him change that name

Well, yeah. Maybe. But they could be kind and understanding people and just force us to delete it

Maybe we could rename it to “Scratch Animation Hall of Fame”, so there's no confusion and it doesn't feel like a really big change to the studio.

bold thing - italic thing - underlined thing - strikethrough thing
doodle20059
New Scratcher
2 posts

hi