Discuss Scratch

artytime
Scratcher
24 posts

Trademark and the Scratch online community

I Think Scratch Is A Good Place. It Has Some Flaws, But Else Than That, It Is So Good It Made Me Quit Animal Jam And Do This Instead!
artytime
Scratcher
24 posts

artytime wrote:

I Think Scratch Is A Good Place. It Has Some Flaws, But Else Than That, It Is So Good It Made Me Quit Animal Jam And Do This Instead!
I Must Say, I Like Scratch, But It Is A Little Complicated. I Hope Scratch Team Members Are Reading This.
when green flag clicked
say [LOL Life on Scratch is cool.]
Happiny-64
Scratcher
76 posts

Tymewalk wrote:

whisperingscreams wrote:

atorubarov wrote:

That studio Aniumation Hall of Fame should change its name in orde to be fair.
if Google finds out it will be MAD. That's why try to make him change that name

Well, yeah. Maybe. But they could be kind and understanding people and just force us to delete it

Maybe we could rename it to “Scratch Animation Hall of Fame”, so there's no confusion and it doesn't feel like a really big change to the studio.
Like what Lightnin* said earlier, they tried that and were told that the name “wasn't changed enough”, and were asked to change it further.

Last edited by Happiny-64 (June 18, 2015 16:37:04)

This account is dead. The user associated with this account has left this website. If you wish to continue seeing animations from this user, click on this link.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lol, we come up on the second and third results anyways xD

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Tymewalk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Happiny-64 wrote:

Tymewalk wrote:

whisperingscreams wrote:

atorubarov wrote:

Well, yeah. Maybe. But they could be kind and understanding people and just force us to delete it

Maybe we could rename it to “Scratch Animation Hall of Fame”, so there's no confusion and it doesn't feel like a really big change to the studio.
Like what Lightnin* said earlier, they tried that and were told that the name “wasn't changed enough”, and were asked to change it further.
Then we shouldn't change it at all. I just Googled Animation Hall of Fame, and they come up on the first result. Plus, it clearly says on the URL link “Scratch - <studio name here>”. So I don't see how this is causing confusion.

bold thing - italic thing - underlined thing - strikethrough thing
Hamish752
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Recently the owner of the registered trademark for “Animation Hall of Fame” contacted us to request that we rename or remove a Scratch Studio titled “Animation Hall of Fame”. Apparently when one Googles “Animation Hall of Fame,” the link to their organization is first, but the results also include a link to a Scratch Studio with the same name.

We see the value of trademark law: We wouldn't want anyone else to be able to create a programming language called Scratch. That could lead to a lot of confusion, and wouldn't be fair. However, there are limits to how broadly trademark should be applied. For example, if someone created a skateboard called Scratch, I don't think we'd have much reason to complain (as long as they weren't using our logo, or claiming some kind of association or endorsement from us.)

But in this case, we don't feel that this trademark claim is reasonable or fair. According to the About page on their website, their “Animation Hall of Fame” is:

“To be located in the Central Florida area of the United States, the Animation Hall of Fame, Inc. complex will be an international interactive, entertainment attraction honoring the history and heritage of Animation from around the world. This state of the art high-tech complex and each of its venues will be designed to educate and entertain animation fans and non-fans alike from around the world.”
( http://animationhalloffame.org/about.html )

The Scratch studio formerly titled “Animation Hall of Fame” is, well, a Scratch studio: A webpage, created by a Scratcher, that shows projects made by kids who are learning to program animations with Scratch, a free programming tool created at MIT.

http://scratch.mit.edu/studios/346625/
(Check it out- there are some good Scratch animations in there!)

Is it really reasonable to demand that we rename this Scratch studio to avoid possible confusion between a multimillion dollar complex in Florida, and a webpage with some Scratch projects? We really don't think so. But because taking legal action to contest this would be very expensive and time consuming, we agreed to change the title of the studio formerly known as “Animation Hall of Fame” to: “Scratch Hall of Fame - Animation.” I guess this clarifies what should be pretty obvious: A webpage with some Scratch projects is not likely to be confused with a multimillion dollar museum.
Interesting…

Happiny-64
Scratcher
76 posts

Tymewalk wrote:

Happiny-64 wrote:

Tymewalk wrote:

whisperingscreams wrote:

atorubarov wrote:

Then we shouldn't change it at all. I just Googled Animation Hall of Fame, and they come up on the first result. Plus, it clearly says on the URL link “Scratch - <studio name here>”. So I don't see how this is causing confusion.
They probably thought that because the studio had the same name, people would mistake the Scratch studio for the other Animation Hall of Fame.

This account is dead. The user associated with this account has left this website. If you wish to continue seeing animations from this user, click on this link.
Hamish752
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If you search it up, the second result is the wiki page, the third is the studio.

beccamaxin
Scratcher
21 posts

Ok. _meow_

beccamaxin
Hamish752
Scratcher
1000+ posts

beccamaxin wrote:

Ok. _meow_
Please don't spam.

The_Scratch_Squad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hamish752 wrote:

If you search it up, the second result is the wiki page, the third is the studio.

Exactly. I am a bit surprised that they aren't mad about that… The wiki page has the exact same name!!!

Well, I guess it would be that it wasn't an area where the “animation hall of fame” to put animations in, but still, just because of a name?

Last edited by The_Scratch_Squad (July 29, 2015 11:03:50)

REMEMBER! Clicky That Sticky AND Read it Carefully before making new topics.
Get the Worlds Fails on Math!!!
CrunchyAppleProd
New Scratcher
1 post

this is kind of ridicules lol and funny
pandy12
New Scratcher
5 posts

The_Grits wrote:

Wow… this would make for a funny newspaper article… “Multimillion dollar complex demands name change of a Children's Online Studio” XD

On a never before seen newspaper article called, not the illuminati, we see broadcasters not broadcasting about broadly not casting the castings that weren't broad
Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The_Grits wrote:

Wow… this would make for a funny newspaper article… “Multimillion dollar complex demands name change of a Children's Online Studio” XD
Oh my… Though the Animation hall of Fame is a complex, they shouldn't get mad just because there is a Scratch studio called that. The Complex owners didn't check it out, and even the search results end up with the Scratch Studio. And it has Scratch's name on it. I don't understand it.

Pet peeve: Lag. Just, lag. Lag, lag, LAG SPIKE-
There is a need for perfection, even if it's unusual: www.vetpetmon.com
A retired Scratcher who won't be using scratch. I usually go on the forums. I mostly play Unturned, but sometimes, I make mods for games. Knows many programming languages: 100% of HTML, about 60% of CSS, 1% JS, 2% of C#, 50% TSC (for CS modding) and, 1% ASM. Is experienced at Beatbox. I also like writing stories about topics that are interesting to me. I'm well known for my variety of skills that range from programming, art, music, writing, and more. Yes, I have too many hobbies, and I am in 6 fandoms right now!
;
Cythral
Scratcher
100+ posts

Animation Hall of Fame is a registered servicemark class 41 which is educational services. This site is an educational service and any use of the phrase animation hall of fame on here can be considered unlawful. Additionally, the use of it is stated as “museum services” - the design studio is a “museum” of scratch projects which is also a violation of their intellectual property.

Intellectual Property Laws suck, but they're there for a reason. Put yourself in their shoes.

everywhere: @cythral
Cythral
Scratcher
100+ posts

On the other hand, their website makes my eyes bleed. For a museum of art and their budget I expected a lot more out of it.

everywhere: @cythral
hancadatt
New Scratcher
1 post

wow cool

lose belly fat

Last edited by hancadatt (Dec. 9, 2015 00:17:48)

OsvaldoZ
Scratcher
3 posts

What dose that mean plz tell what it mean pofa

( )
( )
lc01607
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Weird…..

OsvaldoZ
Scratcher
3 posts

Ummm…… that not weird that is stuff u paint with?