Discuss Scratch

__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What is your dream PC build?

Znapi wrote:

__init__ wrote:

1THz CPU
You will be able to run Scratch projects at insane speeds.

__init__ wrote:

Liquid nitrogen cooling
Mac OS X Yosemite
and all that in an iMac
Fixed.
Eww macs

thisandagain pls explain
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

andrewjcole wrote:

Not much, just an Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel HD 5500 graphics, 500gb hard drive. I don't need a super build, since pretty much every game I play is from 2000-2005. It would be nice to have decent specs just for better multitasking, smoother screen recording ability and for those few games I play that require more power.

How much would a build like this cost?
Sounds like you would like an I7 CPU and an SSD. A fresh build with that, and integrated graphics, could cost around $800.

Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pretty much, I'm hearing that people want to have a supercomputer in their house.

That's a very powerful OS right there, but your gonna have to monitor it 24/7 because, if a virus like CIH2 come into it, that's like $2k-$10k- dollars wasted.

Man, these days… people have expensive taste… This is just a perfect build, a simple Mac OS X, with the ability to run a windows copy separately… 8GB of RAM, and a good CPU, and was made somewhere in 2011 or 2013, for like, what… $350? Why do people spend $800 on a computer for lots of gaming at beautiful graphics???

Back in the days of 2000-2001, there were games that would run 500 FPS on 2011's computers… and to get that insane speed, it'd need only 4GB of RAM! You don't need a 1TB RAM! It's rather odd to run an older game with extra RAM. This computer can run CS, Terraria, GIMP, Steam, Firefox, and IE all at the SAME TIME!

Pet peeve: Lag. Just, lag. Lag, lag, LAG SPIKE-
There is a need for perfection, even if it's unusual: www.vetpetmon.com
A retired Scratcher who won't be using scratch. I usually go on the forums. I mostly play Unturned, but sometimes, I make mods for games. Knows many programming languages: 100% of HTML, about 60% of CSS, 1% JS, 2% of C#, 50% TSC (for CS modding) and, 1% ASM. Is experienced at Beatbox. I also like writing stories about topics that are interesting to me. I'm well known for my variety of skills that range from programming, art, music, writing, and more. Yes, I have too many hobbies, and I am in 6 fandoms right now!
;
Xander52
Scratcher
100+ posts

QuillzToxic wrote:

Xander52 wrote:

stevenwatson011 wrote:

I plan to make a computer out of an Arduino and/or a Rasberry Pi, along with a lot of other random things. I am hoping to make it look steam-punky, so I am also learning the steam-punk look.
Arduinos are not computers, they are for blinking leds on and of, and making robots and that kind of stuff. Pis will not be a very good computer, unless all you do is browse the web(no flash so no scratch 2)and make random programs in python, c(#, +.++)and java, and use libreoffice.
What about 30 pis
People have done that, but you still cannot run normal programs, you cannot even run normal pi programs. I would just get a intel nuc and make that steampunky
Xander52
Scratcher
100+ posts

Vetpetmon wrote:

Pretty much, I'm hearing that people want to have a supercomputer in their house.

That's a very powerful OS right there, but your gonna have to monitor it 24/7 because, if a virus like CIH2 come into it, that's like $2k-$10k- dollars wasted.

Man, these days… people have expensive taste… This is just a perfect build, a simple Mac OS X, with the ability to run a windows copy separately… 8GB of RAM, and a good CPU, and was made somewhere in 2011 or 2013, for like, what… $350? Why do people spend $800 on a computer for lots of gaming at beautiful graphics???

Back in the days of 2000-2001, there were games that would run 500 FPS on 2011's computers… and to get that insane speed, it'd need only 4GB of RAM! You don't need a 1TB RAM! It's rather odd to run an older game with extra RAM. This computer can run CS, Terraria, GIMP, Steam, Firefox, and IE all at the SAME TIME!
LOL!!!! More like $2 for a new bios chip, and a bitdefender cd. Or if you are like me, I can restore my bios off of usb drive! I also have 7 rescue cds and can probably do everything, from remove viruses, clone hard drives, format with dban, and recover passwords. Your “$350 mac” is not real. You cannot buy a mac that cheap without buying used. My computer was about $300-350. I have three monitors, two of which are from garage sales for about $2-3 bucks each. I have a 3.8ghz-3.9ghz turbo processor, and 8gbs of ram, two 500gb drives, one 1tb that I use for backups in my hotswap dock(in my awesome case), a nividia geforce 630, (wish I waited a bit longer to get it, cheaper now)asus motherboard, two dvd/cd drives, one blu-ray drive (I just had a lot around but don't use them much), 500 watt power supply, extremely nice case(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-553-009&). We get fast computers so we can run stuff other then minecraft at good settings.(and also so we can talk about now macs are overpriced) I also run linux mainly right now, no viruses right now. Like all the viruses made for linux were patched immediately and backfired. If you are that afraid of viruses get avast. Also you know how macs “don't get viruses”, well they now get viruses.
FastAWPer
Scratcher
100+ posts

Xander52 wrote:

FastAWPer wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Xander52 wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

16 GB RAM
500 GB SSD
I'm not sure about the graphics card, but I've have mine at 3 Ghz
DVD drive, CD-ROM drive and Floppy disk drive!
Windows 7 dual-booted with Arch Linux!
I'd just have some normal keyboard and mouse,
A monitor,
Turtle beach headset,
A graphics tablet thing (Oh noes! I forgot what it was called!),

Lol! that would only run you about $800! and what about combo drives now (cd and dvd and blueray in one 3.5 inch slot) Also cpu?
Yeah, I'd want a combo drive DVD, CD-ROM and floppy disk and I'm not sure about the CPU, It would likely have a top-of-the-range intel processor.

If I may ask about a good build would be:
Motherboard: ASUS X99 or MSI Z97
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB x 4 DDR4
CPU: Intel Core Xeon E7 (has 12 cores?)
Windows 10
Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Mad Cats R.A.T.7
Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN X
Case: Corsair (Unknown Model)
Speakers: Darn, I don't remember this model that costed 1.2k.
3x ASUS VK278Q
Any Antec 1k Power Supply.
MTN DEW
DORITOS
Steam
Minecraft
2x 1TB SSD
3 RGB LED FANS

Not sure what I'm missing.
You forgot 128 gbs of DDR4, it is possible, I think the titan Z is faster, mtn dew does not work well for liquid cooling, and Doritos do not work well as a Ethernet card. You also forgot corsair rgb stuff, and a 20 ssd raid array, but other than that, sounds pretty fast.

I'm only joking about the MTN DEW and Doritos XD
Titan Z is a bit of a older version of a Titan X.
Xander52
Scratcher
100+ posts

FastAWPer wrote:

Xander52 wrote:

FastAWPer wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Xander52 wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

16 GB RAM
500 GB SSD
I'm not sure about the graphics card, but I've have mine at 3 Ghz
DVD drive, CD-ROM drive and Floppy disk drive!
Windows 7 dual-booted with Arch Linux!
I'd just have some normal keyboard and mouse,
A monitor,
Turtle beach headset,
A graphics tablet thing (Oh noes! I forgot what it was called!),

Lol! that would only run you about $800! and what about combo drives now (cd and dvd and blueray in one 3.5 inch slot) Also cpu?
Yeah, I'd want a combo drive DVD, CD-ROM and floppy disk and I'm not sure about the CPU, It would likely have a top-of-the-range intel processor.

If I may ask about a good build would be:
Motherboard: ASUS X99 or MSI Z97
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB x 4 DDR4
CPU: Intel Core Xeon E7 (has 12 cores?)
Windows 10
Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Mad Cats R.A.T.7
Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN X
Case: Corsair (Unknown Model)
Speakers: Darn, I don't remember this model that costed 1.2k.
3x ASUS VK278Q
Any Antec 1k Power Supply.
MTN DEW
DORITOS
Steam
Minecraft
2x 1TB SSD
3 RGB LED FANS

Not sure what I'm missing.
You forgot 128 gbs of DDR4, it is possible, I think the titan Z is faster, mtn dew does not work well for liquid cooling, and Doritos do not work well as a Ethernet card. You also forgot corsair rgb stuff, and a 20 ssd raid array, but other than that, sounds pretty fast.

I'm only joking about the MTN DEW and Doritos XD
Titan Z is a bit of a older version of a Titan X.
Ohhhh sorry, you forgot the x4 sli Titan Xs lol much minecraft at 10,000 FPS
MewTheSmasher
Scratcher
500+ posts

any computer but the one I have now
Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Xander52 wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

LOL!!!! More like $2 for a new bios chip, and a bitdefender cd. Or if you are like me, I can restore my bios off of usb drive! I also have 7 rescue cds and can probably do everything, from remove viruses, clone hard drives, format with dban, and recover passwords. Your “$350 mac” is not real. You cannot buy a mac that cheap without buying used. My computer was about $300-350. I have three monitors, two of which are from garage sales for about $2-3 bucks each. I have a 3.8ghz-3.9ghz turbo processor, and 8gbs of ram, two 500gb drives, one 1tb that I use for backups in my hotswap dock(in my awesome case), a nividia geforce 630, (wish I waited a bit longer to get it, cheaper now)asus motherboard, two dvd/cd drives, one blu-ray drive (I just had a lot around but don't use them much), 500 watt power supply, extremely nice case(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-553-009&). We get fast computers so we can run stuff other then minecraft at good settings.(and also so we can talk about now macs are overpriced) I also run linux mainly right now, no viruses right now. Like all the viruses made for linux were patched immediately and backfired. If you are that afraid of viruses get avast. Also you know how macs “don't get viruses”, well they now get viruses.

Oh, your saying my mac costed $400, that was the price cheapest in 2014-2015! This Mac computer was bought in 2011-2012, so it costed like, $325-$350.

The extra $400-$450 was because of replacement for the keyboard, earbuds, a 3TB drive, the windows copy: My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Firefox 40.0, Flash 18.0 (release 0), a CD player, and finally, a backup program (for the Mac side.)

I find it funny and rude how people say that my main Mac system costed $500. _-_

I found it funny but somehow Scratch has a lot of Quotes… XD

Also, I can run Trove at HQ with it running at 60FPS (According to Steam's FPS counter), so your computer is just as good as my computer.

Last edited by Vetpetmon (Aug. 13, 2015 00:18:40)

A retired Scratcher who won't be using scratch. I usually go on the forums. I mostly play Unturned, but sometimes, I make mods for games. Knows many programming languages: 100% of HTML, about 60% of CSS, 1% JS, 2% of C#, 50% TSC (for CS modding) and, 1% ASM. Is experienced at Beatbox. I also like writing stories about topics that are interesting to me. I'm well known for my variety of skills that range from programming, art, music, writing, and more. Yes, I have too many hobbies, and I am in 6 fandoms right now!
;
Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MewTheSmasher wrote:

XD

Just buy a used Mac, or try to upgrade your computer (Add some GB RAM, A better CPU…)

If your computer can't handle it, buy a new computer, or get yourself a Mac.

Trust me. Macs last longer.

;
Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

Vetpetmon wrote:

Reference pl0x.

Computers only last as long as you treat them well. It really does not depend on whether it is a Mac or not. Under the hood Macs use the same hardware as a PC, hence why you can Hackintosh.

Xander52 wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

Xander is actually correct here - in 99% of modern computers you can purchase a new BIOS chip.
A point I'll make about Linux here is security. OSS software is generally easier to investigate in terms of source code, as it's publicly available. For all we know in OS X and Windows there could be a load of vulnerabilities nobody is aware of yet. Also gonna back up the other thing mentioned here, OS X does have viruses now.

It's reasons like this that I keep images of OS's preconfigured and run automation software. It's too painful to waste hours a day redeploying a new operating system because a sibling has installed a virus for example.

Xander52
Scratcher
100+ posts

Vetpetmon wrote:

Xander52 wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

Oh, your saying my mac costed $400, that was the price cheapest in 2014-2015! This Mac computer was bought in 2011-2012, so it costed like, $325-$350.

The extra $400-$450 was because of replacement for the keyboard, earbuds, a 3TB drive, the windows copy: My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Firefox 40.0, Flash 18.0 (release 0), a CD player, and finally, a backup program (for the Mac side.)

I find it funny and rude how people say that my main Mac system costed $500. _-_

I found it funny but somehow Scratch has a lot of Quotes… XD

Also, I can run Trove at HQ with it running at 60FPS (According to Steam's FPS counter), so your computer is just as good as my computer.
Well, one, inflation, so it is probably like the same price.

Two, all that stuff is only like 300, also, get windows 10, why run windows on a mac if you are such a mac fan? My browser / operating system: Linux Mint, Chrome 44.0.2403.125, Flash 18.0 (release 0), Windows vista.
Funny how I never gave how many fps I get…. And trove is not minecraft, just someone who crammed minecraft, pixelmon, and a rpg in one.

Also, let's try not to start a mac vs pc flame war.
Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Xander52 wrote:

Funny how I never gave how many fps I get…. And trove is not minecraft, just someone who crammed minecraft, pixelmon, and a rpg in one.

I know what Trove is.. _-_

My computer does run it on 50FPS normally, which still is pretty fast.

Anyway, what do you guys mean that it's easy to make a virus for a Mac?

Apple updates it software programming every time some hacker leaks the system and creates a virus for it.

And Microsoft, they may drop out of support on the windows 7 OS soon. They have made windows 10, so I guess I'm waiting for Windows 7 to lose support, but it also is on the lines for service pack 1, because if that's not for Windows 10 yet, I'm not upgrading.

;
Xander52
Scratcher
100+ posts

Windows 10 is a free upgrade from 7,8, or 8.1.
Closed source software is insecure, upgrades are slower, I easily get 5 updates per day for different software (like the super insecure flash) People make viruses for mac and windows because they are they most popular, linux users are also more educated on advanced topics like how to prevent getting viruses. Most people do not even have antivirus on mac.
Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

Vetpetmon wrote:

Apple updates it software programming every time some hacker leaks the system and creates a virus for it.
Ah-huh. And so does every other common OS developer.

Vetpetmon wrote:

And Microsoft, they may drop out of support on the windows 7 OS soon. They have made windows 10, so I guess I'm waiting for Windows 7 to lose support, but it also is on the lines for service pack 1, because if that's not for Windows 10 yet, I'm not upgrading.

There are reasons Microsoft has a product lifecycle. The lifecycle fact sheet explains this. Note that Windows 7 has already left mainstream support and is now on extended support.

In addition your viewpoint at the moment is “If a PC isn't capable of meeting the demands get a Mac.” - which is an awful way to look at things.

Last edited by Zeusking19 (Aug. 13, 2015 16:48:15)

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My upgrades coming soon:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $314.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 22:11 EDT-0400

I want a nicer looking case, one of the best PSUs, and I gotta upgrade my H81 motherboard (especially since I have a Haswell Refresh CPU, so reboot don't work). I was considering going Skylake, but I'm going to wait a year for Cannonlake and 10nm.

QuillzToxic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

turkey3 wrote:

My upgrades coming soon:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $314.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 22:11 EDT-0400

I want a nicer looking case, one of the best PSUs, and I gotta upgrade my H81 motherboard (especially since I have a Haswell Refresh CPU, so reboot don't work). I was considering going Skylake, but I'm going to wait a year for Cannonlake and 10nm.
Instead of upgrading the mobo that mutch, upgrade your cpu to a i5 4670k (I think thats what it is xD) and your mobo to a lower end one
Xander52
Scratcher
100+ posts

If I upgrade anything, I am going from a uATX mobo to ATX so I can get two graphics cards. And gigabit.(once I upgrade the switch, and get a 20ft cat6) lol I have my computer like 20feet from the Ethernet port, I have a 100mbs switch hooked up to two computers that comes from like 3 different cat 5/5e cables connected via couplers to a gigabit 24 port switch (don't ask got it really cheap) (and a new router hopefully)
MewTheSmasher
Scratcher
500+ posts

Vetpetmon wrote:

MewTheSmasher wrote:

XD

Just buy a used Mac, or try to upgrade your computer (Add some GB RAM, A better CPU…)

I WILL NEVER WILLING BUY A MAC TILL THE DAY I DIE

WINDOWS 4 LYFE
Xander52
Scratcher
100+ posts

MewTheSmasher wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

MewTheSmasher wrote:

XD

I WILL NEVER WILLING BUY A MAC TILL THE DAY I DIE

WINDOWS 4 LYFE
YUSSSSSS WINDOWS LINUX AND UNIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(oh wait I wanna get a mac to use imovie and any other mac only softwarez)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(oh well I can't afford one anyhow)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!