Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL ANSWER BY THE SCRATCH TEAM? "Forever If" block: will it ever be back? And, if not, why? [RSS Feed]
powerboy0101
Scratcher
100+ posts

WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL ANSWER BY THE SCRATCH TEAM? "Forever If" block: will it ever be back? And, if not, why?

Ok,Post edited deleted thingy.
I will not bring it back.
END OF STORY

Last edited by powerboy0101 (Feb. 22, 2014 01:59:28)

Click on the picture, download file, i dare you.
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL ANSWER BY THE SCRATCH TEAM? "Forever If" block: will it ever be back? And, if not, why?

Blaze349 wrote:

it is because it encourages bad laggy programming habits

I understand this. But, maybe, having an option to use it, wouldn't be bad. In this way students could at least initially use it, so to be able to quickly create interesting programs without having to remember complex things. Then they cold move to the forever+if shortcut (something that my students do very soon). So, if having it in the palette is so dangerous, what I would do (and will do if it doesn't come back) is the following:
  • showing the FOREVER IF block in the palette
  • the very first time (or maybe after a while) it is used I would show a dialog saying if the user would like to replace it with an equivalent and more efficient FOREVER + IF sequence, by giving the option to remove it from the palette and not to show the dialog again
  • adding an option in the EDIT menu to allow/disallow showing the block in the palette and show the dialog

Indeed, I guess that enforcing good programming habits is not the right things to do. Instead, teaching them is much better.

Last edited by s_federici (Feb. 22, 2014 07:01:26)

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s_federici wrote:

Indeed, I guess that enforcing good programming habits is not the right things to do. Instead, teaching them is much better.
no you have to do both
firedrake969_test
Scratcher
500+ posts

I wouldn't say having to remember one extra block is that complex

Alt account of Firedrake969.

Rocket II: A black and white bitmap space game!

I seek not fame, but education.

;
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well can't you just tell someone:
There used to be a block called “forever if”, which would constantly check if the condition was true and would run it if so. But, as the name suggests, it is simply a forever block + an if block, which is considered better programming habits.

I mean I don't know, as I have never had to teach anyone Scratch, but it seems like saying something about the forever if block and how its replacement should work.
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

maybe we should close this topic since no one supports Forever if
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If you want an answer from the Scratch Team, then it would be faster to ask on one of their profiles.
xlk
Scratcher
100+ posts

I duno about others, but I've never once used it, in fact, when I started, I kind of feared it more than variables…

blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s_federici wrote:

Sonickyle wrote:

The main reason it was removed is because new Scratchers were getting confused about what it does
I would like to know if this is the official reason. And if the Scratch Team is still thinking about it.
There was a post by Lightnin (from the ST) somewhere saying essentially what Sonickyle said: it was removed because they found in user testing that it was confusing to new users. The ST aren't considering it anymore, and are very unlikely to ever add it back.

tosh · slowly becoming a grown-up adult and very confused about it
siewake
Scratcher
5 posts

I think it was the right move to remove it - as a beginner's language there should be clarity between loops and conditions

<[e] = ((mc) * (mc))>
xlk
Scratcher
100+ posts

firedrake969_test wrote:

it clearly indicates that programming ain't your thing if you have to remember what each block does individually, instead of going the other way, from an idea, into which blocks. Also, dosen't scratch fix that anyways? “change x by”. whatever could it do? The forever if block on the other hand….

s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

Thanks to anyone that took part in this discussion

siewake wrote:

I think it was the right move to remove it - as a beginner's language there should be clarity between loops and conditions

There are still blocks in Scratch that integrate loops and conditions: “when key pressed”, “when clicked”. As far as I know, the Forever If block was a replacement for a general “when <condition>” hat (the perfect block to me), that kept being triggered if the condition was true (than slowing down Scratch). And the “when” block is exactly what a naive (and reluctant…) programmer would like to see

Blaze349 wrote:

maybe we should close this topic since no one supports Forever if

Maybe we should start asking the community I guess the discussion should involve the remaining 200.000 active scratchers

firedrake969_test
Scratcher
500+ posts

Although the community may have input (and has had its chance), it's still the ST's final decision.

xlk wrote:

firedrake969_test wrote:

it clearly indicates that programming ain't your thing if you have to remember what each block does individually, instead of going the other way, from an idea, into which blocks. Also, dosen't scratch fix that anyways? “change x by”. whatever could it do? The forever if block on the other hand….
Exactly.

Alt account of Firedrake969.

Rocket II: A black and white bitmap space game!

I seek not fame, but education.

;
WafflezOnAStick
Scratcher
100+ posts

No support.
if <> then

forever

end
end

they-might-be-cats
Scratcher
100+ posts

not needed. its the same as
when green flag clicked
forever

if <> then

end
end
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

As I already explained, the ST have removed it, and aren't considering bringing it back.

I could probably dig out Lightnin's post from the archives if you really really wanted.

s_federici wrote:

a general “when <condition>” hat (the perfect block to me), that kept being triggered if the condition was true (than slowing down Scratch).
No, the condition would still have to be evaluated every frame.

Particularly for complex conditions like this one:
when <<key [space v] pressed> and <mouse down?>> :: control hat

tosh · slowly becoming a grown-up adult and very confused about it
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

blob8108 wrote:

No, the condition would still have to be evaluated every frame.

Yes, exactly. And this is why it was replaced by the (I really don't understand why) much “hated” Forever If block, that requires the green flag to be clicked before getting triggered. Anyway, I added it to Snap, and it works really well If someone wants it, I can share the “changeset”. I'll do the same with Scratch 2.0 as soon as the source code is officially released.
SilverTheHedgehog4
Scratcher
100+ posts

There's a work-around to this.

forever

if <> then

end
end

ilikelegos
Scratcher
100+ posts

I don't think it is needed. I just always use
forever

if <> then

end
end

Hi! I'm a computer science student who learned coding on Scratch!
bozman
Scratcher
73 posts

s_federici wrote:

Sonickyle wrote:

The main reason it was removed is because new Scratchers were getting confused about what it does

If this is the reason, why not to reword it to “every time that”? O else? Just removing the block is a very drastic solution to me.

Anyway, I found opinions like this one around, but I would like to know if this is the official reason. And if the Scratch Team is still thinking about it.

The main point of Scratch (as far as I'm concerned) is that people can get a handle on programming, how it works, and just basically get knowledge on how programming works.

Now, if this is the main purpose of Scratch, then they very well should NOT use “every time that” or “Or else” because this is never (I'm pretty sure) the syntax for actual programming, it's always an “If” statement. so, if it was changed, someone using Scratch to get a proper introduction to programming would see the “every time that” or whatever, and get used to it, then go into regular programming, and see that “if” is used, and then that person will suddenly be like “WHAAAT?”. That's my thought on that.
  • Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL ANSWER BY THE SCRATCH TEAM? "Forever If" block: will it ever be back? And, if not, why? [RSS Feed]