Discuss Scratch

G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

Enhanced Games Unlimited Collaboration ~ Making Drifter!

heine wrote:

G_A_C wrote:

SNIP
First important detail. If it is currently touching something… the ledge hitbox moves up by 10y (or something like that) then checks if it is touching the hitbox again. If it isn't this time, it registers it as a close ledge then moves the hitbox down until it touches the level so that the costume lines up. If the player wants to drop down from the ledge, it will slightly change x away from the ledge so that the regular hitbox doesn't then collide with the wall.

I also implemented a wall climb, so that if the player hasn't done one already, he will jump up (set yspeed to 8 or something like that) if he is pressing right/left INTO the wall and pressing up.
Ok. I'll try and implement it in the next test.
Sure! If you need more info, just ask.

G.A.C. - known also as Fish.

RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just so you all know, I've been quiet, but I've been following along. I'm liking this so far. Keep it up!

Banner by @ncro2005.
jsnpldng
Scratcher
100+ posts

Oof i haven't been active for a while, sorry about that
Meanwhile, i've started work on redesigning the Drifter (i'm p.retty sure he's the titular Drifter…?);

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/327640633/

Are there any other changes to his design i could make? Color palette, sword, wristwatch (?), you name it.

G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

I think that haircut looks really good!

G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

Guys, just a quick question. Will each level be a biome? Or can we add multiple levels per biome. (like multiple jungle levels)

RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

G_A_C wrote:

Guys, just a quick question. Will each level be a biome? Or can we add multiple levels per biome. (like multiple jungle levels)
I think we should do whatever flows and feels good.

Banner by @ncro2005.
jsnpldng
Scratcher
100+ posts

G_A_C wrote:

If we do have it with each level being a biome, then it could be like the old Sonic games, where each level has multiple ‘acts’ or sub-levels.

G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

G_A_C wrote:

I think we should do whatever flows and feels good.

Alright, I think for now we should go for multiple levels in a biome, just to give us a chance to reuse art styles and backgrounds, while also giving us the ability to have more levels.

RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also, due to the demise of tinypic, those of us who use the EGUC banner in our signatures are out of luck. If anyone would like to make us a new banner and host it elsewhere, that would be great!

Banner by @ncro2005.
G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

jsnpldng wrote:

G_A_C wrote:

If we do have it with each level being a biome, then it could be like the old Sonic games, where each level has multiple ‘acts’ or sub-levels.

That would definitely flow better than having to go to the menu screen every time you advance.

jsnpldng
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

Also, due to the demise of tinypic, those of us who use the EGUC banner in our signatures are out of luck. If anyone would like to make us a new banner and host it elsewhere, that would be great!
https://cdn2.scratch.mit.edu/get_image/gallery/4939989_200x130.png
or maybe we could just use the studio's image

G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

So, I'm gonna start working on an update now.
Tell me if there's anything you want changed!

jsnpldng
Scratcher
100+ posts

G_A_C wrote:

So, I'm gonna start working on an update now.
Tell me if there's anything you want changed!
Maybe have gravity multiply while you're falling, so you float upwards then rocket downwards. Maybe 1.5x gravity or something. That way, you could set it to multiply either when you start falling or when you let go of the jump button, so there's variable jump heights.

RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jsnpldng wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

https://cdn2.scratch.mit.edu/get_image/gallery/4939989_200x130.png
or maybe we could just use the studio's image
We could, but a little bigger is nice. At least personally, I really liked the full length one I was using.

Banner by @ncro2005.
jsnpldng
Scratcher
100+ posts

I finished the main redesign of Drifter, though he isn't holding (or even carrying) his sword quite yet. In the mean time, i have a few questions still:
  1. Are there any other changes i could make to the redesign?

2. Is there anything you particularly like/dislike about it?

3. Is that thing on his wrist a wristwatch? A wrist-compass?

heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/327634168/
@G_A_C here's a first test for the ledge-grabbing mechanic. You should be able to jump up from a ledge and drop from a ledge by pressing “s”.
Thoughts?
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

jsnpldng wrote:

I finished the main redesign of Drifter, though he isn't holding (or even carrying) his sword quite yet. In the mean time, i have a few questions still:
  1. Are there any other changes i could make to the redesign?

2. Is there anything you particularly like/dislike about it?

3. Is that thing on his wrist a wristwatch? A wrist-compass?
  1. I can't really think of anything more to add, other than possibly adding more texture to his clothes.
  2. I really like the new hair, and the proportions look more realistic now. The eyebrows and mouth look a bit too cartoonish though, and there's something weird about the eyes.
  3. I assume it's a watch, but I don't know if that makes sense with the story.
G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

heine wrote:

@G_A_C here's a first test for the ledge-grabbing mechanic. You should be able to jump up from a ledge and drop from a ledge by pressing “s”.
Thoughts?
I think it works really well! I'll try and fix the player model so he lines up with the ledge. Looks great!

heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

G_A_C wrote:

heine wrote:

Thoughts?
I think it works really well! I'll try and fix the player model so he lines up with the ledge. Looks great!
I had to change the hitbox a bit, and I may have made it too wide. That's probably why he doesn't line up.
G_A_C
Scratcher
100+ posts

heine wrote:

G_A_C wrote:

heine wrote:

Thoughts?
I had to change the hitbox a bit, and I may have made it too wide. That's probably why he doesn't line up.
I've checked, and the hitbox is perfectly the same, but for some unknown reason he keeps getting stuck in walls…