Discuss Scratch

heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

Enhanced Games Unlimited Collaboration ~ Making Drifter!

RonTheNerd wrote:

heine wrote:

Another note about the first level: maybe the player can pick up different items used in the game there? Considering he had been washed ashore after being shipwrecked, I don't think he would have been able to take much with him.
As in his sword, perhaps?
Yeah.
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

heine wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

heine wrote:

Another note about the first level: maybe the player can pick up different items used in the game there? Considering he had been washed ashore after being shipwrecked, I don't think he would have been able to take much with him.
As in his sword, perhaps?
Yeah.
Sounds good to me.

Banner by @ncro2005.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

I have a slight issue with the new wall-jumping mechanic: While I agree that the old one is clunky and annoying, the new one allows you to scale up any wall, which doesn't seem like what we want. I tried a “compromise” between the two systems, but it just looked weird. Should we try and work out a new wall-jumping system, or should we maybe remove the feature altogether?
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

heine wrote:

I have a slight issue with the new wall-jumping mechanic: While I agree that the old one is clunky and annoying, the new one allows you to scale up any wall, which doesn't seem like what we want. I tried a “compromise” between the two systems, but it just looked weird. Should we try and work out a new wall-jumping system, or should we maybe remove the feature altogether?
Well, he will need to be able to get over anything that's in his way though…

Banner by @ncro2005.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

heine wrote:

He can simply jump over all the obstacles we have so far. We don't have to remove wall-jumping, it works fine. It just feels a bit clumsy.
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

heine wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

heine wrote:

He can simply jump over all the obstacles we have so far. We don't have to remove wall-jumping, it works fine. It just feels a bit clumsy.
I need to get in and plat the game again to refresh my memory, but from what I remember, we don't have any walls, do we?

Banner by @ncro2005.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

SNIP
I need to get in and plat the game again to refresh my memory, but from what I remember, we don't have any walls, do we?
We have one in the jungle level, but that is to prevent the player from going back.
jsnpldng
Scratcher
100+ posts

heine wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

SNIP
We have one in the jungle level, but that is to prevent the player from going back.
On the topic of jumping, we could incorporate variable jump heights. Either we could use a “jetpack” system, where you keep moving steadily upwards until you run out of “fuel” or let go of the jump button, or we could increase gravity when the player starts falling or lets go of the jump button like in Super Mario Bros. 1.

Oceanboy98
Scratcher
100+ posts

jsnpldng wrote:

heine wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

SNIP
On the topic of jumping, we could incorporate variable jump heights. Either we could use a “jetpack” system, where you keep moving steadily upwards until you run out of “fuel” or let go of the jump button, or we could increase gravity when the player starts falling or lets go of the jump button like in Super Mario Bros. 1.
If we use the jetpack system, wouldn't they just try to…. float above and over the monsters?
XD I can see that in my head in 8-BiT
I'm back!With a sniffly nose :mad:

EDIT: I think the “Gravity” option would be better like (this is going to be not too good and might not make sense cause uh… I'm not too good at programming XD

when [ up ] key pressed
repeat (5)
change y by (Y)
change x by (X)
end
wait (3) secs
repeat (5)
change y by (-Y)
change x by (-X)
end

(The X/Y is the number we'd put there)

Last edited by Oceanboy98 (Aug. 4, 2019 17:53:01)

heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

Important question: should the player be able to change direction in mid-air?
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

heine wrote:

Important question: should the player be able to change direction in mid-air?
I think that would be beneficial. I know personally, I prefer to play games where that is possible.

Banner by @ncro2005.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

heine wrote:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/322532228/ <– Testing some stuff
It looks great!

A couple of things:
When I go into settings and change from WASD to arrow controls (As well as changing which buttons do attacking), I find that I am unable to attack.

After this problem occurs, the game starts lagging pretty bad. Everything is still smooth, just slow motion.

Banner by @ncro2005.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

heine wrote:

It looks great!

A couple of things:
When I go into settings and change from WASD to arrow controls (As well as changing which buttons do attacking), I find that I am unable to attack.

After this problem occurs, the game starts lagging pretty bad. Everything is still smooth, just slow motion.
Is this what you set the controls to?
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

heine wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

heine wrote:

It looks great!

A couple of things:

Is this what you set the controls to?
Negative.
I changed the attack buttons so that it wouldn't be trying to attack and move all the time.

Banner by @ncro2005.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

SNIP
Negative.
I changed the attack buttons so that it wouldn't be trying to attack and move all the time.
Were any of them the same, though? Because I only get this bug when two controls are set to the same key.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

A small detail I just noticed:

There are three palm trees but there's only one reflection in the water.
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

heine wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

SNIP
Negative.
Were any of them the same, though? Because I only get this bug when two controls are set to the same key.
No, they were not.

heine wrote:

A small detail I just noticed:

There are three palm trees but there's only one reflection in the water.
LoL. I never noticed that! XD

Banner by @ncro2005.
EnhancedGames
Scratcher
54 posts

BUMP

heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'm working on an inventory system but I'm not sure if it fits the style
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/326018330/
Thoughts?