Discuss Scratch

jackson49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch Wiki Community Portal - in the forums!

Za-Chary wrote:

Scratch Wiki wrote:

Note: IP banned users cannot contact the Scratch Team. However, IP banned users can see certain pages using the new interface (i.e. Projects, search bars, etc.). Most pages using the older interface (i.e. User pages, discussion forums, etc.) will be blocked from view. As emails are blacklisted during an IP ban, users will be disallowed from creating accounts from banned emails as well. [citation needed]
The fact that a citation is needed indicates to me that this quote was more-or-less false. As I indicate above, anyone can contact the Scratch Team even if they are IP banned, perhaps by using some random Apple computer in a library where the IP address is different. Maybe there's something I'm misremembering about IP bans, but I believe it is false that IP banned users are completely unable to contact the Scratch Team.

Furthermore, the claim that “emails are blacklisted during an IP ban” is also false. From my time as a Scratch Team member, I know for a fact that a user's email is unaffected by an IP ban.
I removed the sentence saying that emails are blacklisted.

I also removed the claim that you can’t contact the Scratch Team while IP banned since it seems more likely than not that it’s wrong. It did go into a surprising amount of detail for a false claim though, especially this part:

Scratch Wiki wrote:

As Scratch uses Freshdesk for the Contact Us page and email messages, IP banned users cannot contact the Scratch Team, as their messages will be invalidated.

Last edited by jackson49 (July 3, 2022 20:41:18)

Be moist

PC LOAD LETTER

;
Adzboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

QuietYouAll wrote:

do we have to make a new scratch account to reply or talk about something on this wiki? just wondering.
No, if you aren't an editor then you can discuss changes you want made here.

Adzboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Hi, is this still a good place to request wiki edits, considering I don't have a Scratch Wiki account?
Yes, contributions for articles can be suggested here.

Last edited by Adzboy (July 3, 2022 08:31:56)

ImSandwich
Scratcher
43 posts

tron36591 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

sjs21chenr8 wrote:

Is there a wiki Wednesday? I hope there is.
I have submitted it to the Scratch Team, just waiting on them.

tron36591 wrote:

i think you should add a wiki topic about scratch raids.
What are Scratch Raids?
there like a group of scratchers spaming a profile
I’m not sure many people really seen one. The person would probably just turn off chat before anyone really knows that it happened, so it’s own page on the wiki could be debatable as it’s just some trolls trolling people which is fairly common on many sites. However, it’s own page is not really out of the question. It might already be a subsection in another article as that’s fairly reasonable but I don’t really know.

This is a Signature
I have no purpose for this.
This is Entertaining
ImSandwich
Scratcher
43 posts

jackson49 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Scratch Wiki wrote:

Note: IP banned users cannot contact the Scratch Team. However, IP banned users can see certain pages using the new interface (i.e. Projects, search bars, etc.). Most pages using the older interface (i.e. User pages, discussion forums, etc.) will be blocked from view. As emails are blacklisted during an IP ban, users will be disallowed from creating accounts from banned emails as well. [citation needed]
The fact that a citation is needed indicates to me that this quote was more-or-less false. As I indicate above, anyone can contact the Scratch Team even if they are IP banned, perhaps by using some random Apple computer in a library where the IP address is different. Maybe there's something I'm misremembering about IP bans, but I believe it is false that IP banned users are completely unable to contact the Scratch Team.

Furthermore, the claim that “emails are blacklisted during an IP ban” is also false. From my time as a Scratch Team member, I know for a fact that a user's email is unaffected by an IP ban.
I’m not sure how Scratch works, but usually in most sites an ip ban just terminates the account and stops anyone with the ip address to make a new account until they appeal their ban.

This is a Signature
This is Entertaining
gdxfor
Scratcher
100+ posts

In the Speak () (block) page, it doesn't say anything about the 128 character limit the block has, nor anything about the bad word filter (which to my knowledge is the same one as the one at the bottom of this page).

Last edited by gdxfor (July 5, 2022 18:34:04)

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ametz807 wrote:

In the Speak () (block) page, it doesn't say anything about the 128 character limit the block has, nor anything about the bad word filter (which to my knowledge is the same one as the one at the bottom of this page).
Added, thanks for letting us know.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
starhero5697
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I can’t access the Scratch Wiki - anyone having the same problem?

check out my youtube channel and soundcloud where i post my music

jackson49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starhero5697 wrote:

I’m having the same problem. This is longer than most downtimes. It’s been over an hour.

Edit: The Wiki is still down as of 8:30 AM ET, meaning it's been down for over three hours.

Last edited by jackson49 (July 6, 2022 12:29:42)

Be moist

PC LOAD LETTER

;
Adzboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starhero5697 wrote:

Yes, looks like a server downtime. It should be back up soon enough

Arqwa
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm here for the Scratch wiki FR and it's not just a problem of the wiki in English. The wikis are all still unavailable at the moment, all the Scratch wikis, whose link is given on this page. I hope that everything will return to normal soon so that everyone can access the content. Thanks a lot!
Adzboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Arqwa wrote:

I'm here for the Scratch wiki FR and it's not just a problem of the wiki in English. The wikis are all still unavailable at the moment, all the Scratch wikis, whose link is given on this page. I hope that everything will return to normal soon so that everyone can access the content. Thanks a lot!
Yes, all of the Wikis are hosted on Martin's servers which appear to be down.

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I also can't access the admin panel, so the problem is with the host. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about this other than wait for it to be fixed.

Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Update to everyone: Martin reports a ticket has been opened with the host and they expect it to be back soon.

TheAnimalKingdom42
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

Update to everyone: Martin reports a ticket has been opened with the host and they expect it to be back soon.
Great! It must have been a stressful morning.

Last edited by TheAnimalKingdom42 (July 6, 2022 14:53:34)

Adzboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

Ok

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It looks like the web server is running again but the database server is still down. Hopefully this will be resolved shortly.

Adzboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

It looks like the web server is running again but the database server is still down. Hopefully this will be resolved shortly.
I was getting database errors mixed in with web server errors earlier… Now it's just showing database errors

ImSandwich
Scratcher
43 posts

This is definitely a interesting evening.

Last edited by ImSandwich (July 6, 2022 18:07:33)

This is a Signature
This is Entertaining
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It looks like the Wiki is back up. Thank you everyone for your patience!