Discuss Scratch

DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0 Technical Discussion

SuperScratchMaker123 wrote:

anyway to do the on topic

will you still be able to create studios in scratch 3

how many times has this kind of question been answered?

Scratch 3.0 is an update for the EDITOR and the website will not update drastically.

ermes
Scratcher
3 posts

Hi all,
we want to run Scratch 3 on a standalone server pc for network availability problems.
We've cloned the Github repo, installed nodejs on the server and the clients connect and run the gui correctly, except for one problem: they can't see any resource in the catalogs (sprites, costumes, sounds, backgrounds).
Is there a way to load resources into the server so that the clients can see and use them?

Thanks in advance!

Marco
nissj
New Scratcher
4 posts

what risks would it pose? Please Respond

Its hard to collab since we cant really chat and its never real time. And whenever we save sometimes updates go through and some don't.
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ermes wrote:

Hi all,
we want to run Scratch 3 on a standalone server pc for network availability problems.
We've cloned the Github repo, installed nodejs on the server and the clients connect and run the gui correctly, except for one problem: they can't see any resource in the catalogs (sprites, costumes, sounds, backgrounds).
Is there a way to load resources into the server so that the clients can see and use them?

Thanks in advance!

Marco
I don't think there is an automatic tool to do this for you, but you may want to take a look at the entries in src/lib/libraries. The ST has a private (I think) tool for generating this list from a project ID, but I've never heard of one to download every entry automagically. One option is to add a lot of sprites and costumes to one project, then download (either as an SB2 or SB3) and unzip it, then put all the image assets somewhere on your server. (I know the ST used this project at one point – be warned it'll take a little while to load in the 3.0 editor, though. )

You would also have to modify src/lib/storage.js, which has the code for the actual downloading of assets. Particularly, you'll want to change the “addWebSource” lines – get rid of the ones for the Scratch site, and add some for the URLs on your standalone server.

Last edited by _nix (Aug. 8, 2018 20:02:08)

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20 21, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchDiogoh wrote:

<block type="Undefined_Undefined"> // create a undefined block
</block>
Just fixing the code thing…

I'm a programmer, ethical hacker, and space nerd!

Last edited by Neil Armstrong (July 20, 1969 20:17:00)

sam
ScratchDiogoh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

ScratchDiogoh wrote:

</block>
Okay

+1700 Bad Posts
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchDiogoh wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

ScratchDiogoh wrote:

</block>
Okay
It was showing an error around the closing tag.

I'm a programmer, ethical hacker, and space nerd!

Last edited by Neil Armstrong (July 20, 1969 20:17:00)

sam
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

nissj wrote:

what risks would it pose? Please Respond

Its hard to collab since we cant really chat and its never real time. And whenever we save sometimes updates go through and some don't.
Risks to what?

No significant changes will come to the site, other than making the style look more like the homepage. Scratch 3.0 is an update to the editor and player.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
MrMeowington
Scratcher
100+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

-snip-
No significant changes will come to the site, other than making the style look more like the homepage. Scratch 3.0 is an update to the editor and player.

Oh, good! I grow more and more insane by the second seeing new navbar on the homepage and other “new” pages, but nowhere else. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by MrMeowington (Aug. 9, 2018 01:37:30)

Hey there! I don't use this account anymore. You can find me over at @Scratch137.
MrMeowington
Scratcher
100+ posts

I’ve been running some tests with Scratch 3.0 in iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 7 Plus. It does work, but there are a few steps you have to perform first.

This is what I got when I first opened the editor (in landscape mode):

I had to put it into portrait mode to continue, but I put it back into landscape mode after. This is what I got when I zoomed out:

See that empty space on the side? I can scroll the page using that blank space, and once I scrolled the (currently useless) navbar out of view, I got this:

So it’s very usable. The HTML5 and WebGL work great on iOS, and I imagine they can only get better.

Hey there! I don't use this account anymore. You can find me over at @Scratch137.
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MrMeowington wrote:

I’ve been running some tests with Scratch 3.0 in iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 7 Plus. It does work, but there are a few steps you have to perform first.

This is what I got when I first opened the editor (in landscape mode):

I had to put it into portrait mode to continue, but I put it back into landscape mode after. This is what I got when I zoomed out:

See that empty space on the side? I can scroll the page using that blank space, and once I scrolled the (currently useless) navbar out of view, I got this:

So it’s very usable. The HTML5 and WebGL work great on iOS, and I imagine they can only get better.
Nice! Thanks for the report!
It looks like it would be quite usable on a tablet.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

_nix wrote:

I know the ST used this project at one point – be warned it'll take a little while to load in the 3.0 editor, though

Thanks for the hint _nix. I successfully opened the project, but it seems that I'm unable to save it on my PC (Windows 10, Chrome). Any advice?

UPDATE: ignore this. After several minutes I had clicked the menu I got the save file dialog

Last edited by s_federici (Aug. 9, 2018 07:02:36)

d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

s_federici wrote:

_nix wrote:

I know the ST used this project at one point – be warned it'll take a little while to load in the 3.0 editor, though

Thanks for the hint _nix. I successfully opened the project, but it seems that I'm unable to save it on my PC (Windows 10, Chrome). Any advice?

UPDATE: ignore this. After several minutes I had clicked the menu I got the save file dialog
You might've had that problem, but i can't even start the project! Any advice?

when green flag clicked
if <I think of something> then

it's probably been done before

end
Ok, but unironically, check this out!
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

d_and_g wrote:

If you mean that the project page stays empty, just wait. As for saving, loading the project takes several minutes.
d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

s_federici wrote:

d_and_g wrote:

If you mean that the project page stays empty, just wait. As for saving, loading the project takes several minutes.
No i mean When i click the green flag, nothing happens

when green flag clicked

end
MrMeowington
Scratcher
100+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

MrMeowington wrote:

-snip-
Nice! Thanks for the report!
It looks like it would be quite usable on a tablet.
Yeah!

I actually never realized that the resolution of the iPhone 7+ was so big.

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

d_and_g wrote:

s_federici wrote:

d_and_g wrote:

Yeah, I don't think that project actually has any scripts. It's just a big bunch of costumes and sprites that don't do anything

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20 21, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
MrMeowington
Scratcher
100+ posts

Have the WebGL problems for Raspberry Pi been resolved?
I still can't run it.
My browser / operating system: Linux (Raspbian 9.3 "Stretch"), Chrome (actually Chromium) 60.0.3112.89, Flash 29.0 (release 0)
Do I need an update?

Last edited by MrMeowington (Aug. 11, 2018 02:23:36)

d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

_nix wrote:

d_and_g wrote:

s_federici wrote:

d_and_g wrote:

Yeah, I don't think that project actually has any scripts. It's just a big bunch of costumes and sprites that don't do anything
Oh ok

when green flag clicked

end
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

d_and_g wrote:

I suppose this is wanted. the project has been created just to allow people to have a project will all the Scratch sprites.

UPDATE: I noticed now that this has been already answered by _nix

Last edited by s_federici (Aug. 11, 2018 09:03:59)