This is really useful! Thanks!

Hi
codeman1044
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Guide to Finding Duplicates

Za-Chary wrote:

I BLESS THE RAINS DOWN IN AFRICA
The things you can find on the forums posted by certain people are… interesting.
I know this was posted on April Fool's Day, but still…

This is my signature, which shows up every time I post and is automatic. To make a signature of your own, locate the “Change your signature” option in the bottom left of the Discussion Home.
I am nothing if not consistently inconsistent.
Snap! is a website that offers block coding like Scratch, but also offers the creation of your own blocks and writing JavaScript functions. The adventurous should consider checking it out!
Potentially useful tutorials and topic coverage
If you want to see a new tutorial added to this, feel free to leave a suggestion on my profile.
lunaraemaemae
Scratcher
50 posts

play sound [ WHAT?!]
say [.......] for (2) secs

(^_^)   
this is my kumquat killer.STRIKE THAT DEMON DOWN PAPYRUS!!!!
Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lunaraemaemae wrote:

play sound [ WHAT?!]
say [.......] for (2) secs
Is there any problem? If you just wanted to write random things, then the forums are not the right place to do it.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. - Mewtwo
Ian-Stewart
Scratcher
500+ posts

Thanks for this guide, now I know how to find duplicates!

My signature was completely outdated and a new one is under construction.
Boomer001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I saw on the custom search website some topics that were a duplicate of mine, but they where from 4 years ago. Am i still allowed to post? (It's not in the list of rejected suggestions)
when green flag clicked
ask [???] and wait

Last edited by Boomer001 (Dec. 7, 2019 08:10:12)

:::::::::   ::::::::   ::::::::  ::::    ::::  :::::::::: :::::::::   :::::::   :::::::    :::   
:+:    :+: :+:    :+: :+:    :+: +:+:+: :+:+:+ :+:        :+:    :+: :+:   :+: :+:   :+: :+:+:   
+:+    +:+ +:+    +:+ +:+    +:+ +:+ +:+:+ +:+ +:+        +:+    +:+ +:+  :+:+ +:+  :+:+   +:+   
+#++:++#+  +#+    +:+ +#+    +:+ +#+  +:+  +#+ +#++:++#   +#++:++#:  +#+ + +:+ +#+ + +:+   +#+   
+#+    +#+ +#+    +#+ +#+    +#+ +#+       +#+ +#+        +#+    +#+ +#+#  +#+ +#+#  +#+   +#+   
#+#    #+# #+#    #+# #+#    #+# #+#       #+# #+#        #+#    #+# #+#   #+# #+#   #+#   #+#   
#########   ########   ########  ###       ### ########## ###    ###  #######   #######  ####### 
CHECK OUT MY FORUM STATS

R4356th
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wahsp wrote:

Guide to Finding Any Duplicates to Your Suggestion

You've had an amazing idea, one that you're sure will revolutionize Scratch. So you head to the Suggestions Forum and type out your suggestion and all the reasons it's wonderful. Soon after you post your topic though, you discover someone else had your idea and you wasted a lot of time.
So, before you suggest, be sure you check for any topics out there that might be the same as yours.

What can you do to figure out if your topic is a duplicate of another?

The first step would be to come up with some key words related to your idea. Let's say our suggestion is to make the Scratch Cat purple instead of orange. Some words you might want to use would be Scratch Cat, or Change Color or a combination of words (for this I used “Scratch Cat Change”. It's not too specific, but helped narrow my results a bit)

Next is the searching part. There are two ways to do this (of the two, I'd recommend the second one).
  • Paste this in your search bar: site: scratch.mit.edu/discuss/ and wait for the next step
or

Once you have pasted or pulled up the other page, either place your key words after the /
or if you're using the custom search, search your words.

Now you are able to look for duplicates. Even if your first try doesn't show anything, try mixing up the words just to be safe, especially if the results are not close to your topic. The example words I used didn't give me anything related until I used “Scratch Cat Change”. A suggestion to change the Scratch Cat to a fish appeared. From all of my searches, I can conclude that there probably is not a topic about changing the color of Scratch Cat, and therefore my suggestion is most likely not a duplicate.

Be careful when looking for duplicates, a topic might seem similar or have a similar title, but that does not mean your topic is a duplicate. It's always a good idea to read through the post to make sure.

What do you do if you do find a duplicate?

Well if you haven't posted your suggestion, don't post it now. If you find a duplicate of your topic after you've already posted it though, you should close your topic yourself or request an admin to close it so the discussion is in one place. Then you can go to the other topic and add to the conversation there. Maybe you thought of something that really improved the suggestion or you want to show you support or agree with it. If you find a duplicate of another user's topic, politely inform them of it and provide them with a link.

And if no duplicates are found?

If you've checked and there aren't any similar ideas around, then go ahead and post your suggestion!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading! If you have any suggestions for this guide (hah), please give them below. If I made any sort of error, please inform me of that as well (it is one in the morning as I post this). I hope this guide helps some users with their own suggestions, or to help them help others with theirs.

oh and I checked and I'm pretty sure this is not a duplicate
Thank you so much!
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Thanks! I just found out that a suggestion I wanted to make isn't a duplicate.

Inspired by coder2045—which, in turn, got inspired by Mr_PenguinAlex.
What's wrong with these blocks? There are zero mistakes because no round has started yet. Beware that some of the mistakes don't relate to the Scratch blocks below.
// No round has started yet.
Be the first to comment all of the mistakes on my profile correctly and you'll get a love! You can't comment any mistakes right now because there are none!
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

R4356th wrote:

Thank you so much!

You don't have to quote the OP.

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
Scratcher
1000+ posts

We haven't seen a post from this sticky since December, and I wish stickies just continue having creating forever and ever continuous posts.

Inspired by coder2045—which, in turn, got inspired by Mr_PenguinAlex.
What's wrong with these blocks? There are zero mistakes because no round has started yet. Beware that some of the mistakes don't relate to the Scratch blocks below.
// No round has started yet.
Be the first to comment all of the mistakes on my profile correctly and you'll get a love! You can't comment any mistakes right now because there are none!
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kChiaEC19 wrote:

We haven't seen a post from this sticky since December, and I wish stickies just continue having creating forever and ever continuous posts.

Why? Stickies are always there for good use, and you can always read them - bumping a sticky or even just posting there doesn't increase the benefits.

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
nerdiebirdy
Scratcher
500+ posts

What do you do when your search is not working?

Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

nerdiebirdy wrote:

What do you do when your search is not working?
There are other search options (:

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!

Thanks!

Check out my recent projects!

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

“TODAY IS THE 32ND OF MARCH TODAY IS THE 32ND OF MARCH TODAY IS THE 32ND OF MARCH”

I have about 3450 posts, 90 shared projects, 180 total created/followed topics, and 425 followers.

Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

m͓͇̹̘͍̣̙͎ͣo̩͉̗͉̮̖͙̙̠ͫn͈͚̺̪͉̱̬͖ͥ̍̔ť̩͉̬͎̼̱̿̑ͧͥ̀̂ͅh͉̪̗̍ͪͩs̪͓̩̒ͧͫ ̰̤ͣ̌ͯ̌ͫ̽̐d̖͙̯̱̟̲̹̓͒o̩̦͕̖̯̖͛͒͗̑ͨ̈́ͩͅn͇͈̯̝̗̗͑͒̂ͭ͌̂ͧ̚'̥͕͍͚̓̔t̥̙͖̞̥̉̉̉̀̑ ̺͖̯̖͐̉̀̒̔̈͆w̯̩̝ͯ̽͌͐ö̯͑ͧ͛r̖̬̝̙͎̓͆̿͛̔ḱ̟͚ͣ͊ͣ̇ ̯͖͙̬̝̋͐͗̅̚ị̘̰̱̏̉́̓̓̋͒ṉ̩̽ͧͩͮ̏ ̙͕͎̹̦̗̼̎̋̎ͯͦ̚t̩̻̣̱͔̗͙̻̭̒̾͋̿̅ͦ̔̚h̬̲̮͙͊͊͋ͬ̂ͫͩị̱͂ͯͦͫ͗̑s͖̻̺͙̭ͤ̌̇̈́̉ ̯͖͚̺̭̮̯̠̗̊̂ͥw̳͊͐͌̂̈́̚a͔̣̺̳̝̔̿ͩ̈ͣý̥͓͈̜͔̏ͭ͋͆ͮ

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. - Mewtwo
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

quite

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!

haha imposter forums

when green flag clicked
say [Hi, I'm Life_Tutor!]

Check out my projects and studios, follow me if you want. Of course, before you do any of that, you will require your viewing and following permit. That's a joke… or maybe not, since I haven't gained my joking permit just yet.

Also, I am hosting a Q&A for 1K followers! Copy this link and ask questions while you still can: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/393580487/
bfbfan55
Scratcher
100+ posts

But sometimes, the duplicate is a topic where nothing has been posted in like a year.

things i like: Battle for Dream IslandGeometry Dash: Blockly ᛫ other stuff lol
Follow me for animations and some other stuff
Mystery link! :D
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-snip-

Last edited by Super_Scratch_Bros20 (July 26, 2020 20:46:55)