Discuss Scratch

awesome-llama
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

CellularData wrote:

my school's computers have been updated to windows 10
There's some one rogue laptop with windows 10, everything else has 7.

__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Wettining wrote:

TheMonsterOfTheDeep wrote:

__init__ wrote:

School starts tomorrow! I hope the grade 11 computer science course is any good…
Sadly, when I took my school's computer science class, it wasn't very good…

Now it is a bit better, although it's more accurately labeled a JavaFX and Android class.
Why are they teaching Java… it's not as good as showing how a computer works as C or x86 Assembly
I think Java is a perfect introductory programming language - it teaches useful concepts, provides a nice pathway to other popular languages such as C++, C#, and teaches good programming practices with its moderate strictness.

Another great tool would be a combination of C and Python - C to teach low-level concepts to give you an idea of what's going on and Python to teach more high-level OOP concepts without you having to worry about what's going on behind the scenes, while still being strict and strongly typed (unlike something like JavaScript).

thisandagain pls explain
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

My school have removed access to File Explorer from the start menu or search bar so now we have to go to my computer from the desktop and if we're in the middle of something, we have to minimise it and open the File Explorer… At least File Explorer has the CTRL+N shortcut for opening another Window!

Also reviving this topic because I hope more things have happened in the world of school IT

Last edited by bybb (Oct. 30, 2017 09:46:37)

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
-stache-
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

My school blocks my proxmox panel but not my self hosted C9…

3x3 pb: 13.240
3x3 avg: ~21-26
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

-stache- wrote:

my school blocks all ips. It needs to use a domain to access it.

Game Over
chexbox
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

On our Chromebooks the school hasn't blocked ESC - RELOAD - POWER, so we cad delete ChromeOS and install full linux.

DatOneLefty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

-stache- wrote:

does your school use proxmox and they're just trying to hide it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Scratch data available at ScratchDB (Status)

herohamp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

DatOneLefty wrote:

-stache- wrote:

My old school used proxmox, a shame the login was admin:{schoolname}
that was fun reporting
-stache-
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

DatOneLefty wrote:

-stache- wrote:

I think their website is hosted by rackspace lol

3x3 pb: 13.240
3x3 avg: ~21-26
bob1171
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

ugh my schools IT is really hard to break. I can get someones pic by finding their id but thats it.

bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

My school unblocked nearly everything yesterday. They also use smoothwall which I discovered that if you search too many of the same letter (hold down a key until you're bored) It will block it for “adult sites”.

Game Over
DatOneLefty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

bybb wrote:

My school unblocked nearly everything yesterday. They also use smoothwall which I discovered that if you search too many of the same letter (hold down a key until you're bored) It will block it for “adult sites”.
my friend typed in a few numbers and it blocked it for “Adult Content”

Scratch data available at ScratchDB (Status)

TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

__init__ wrote:

Wettining wrote:

TheMonsterOfTheDeep wrote:

__init__ wrote:

School starts tomorrow! I hope the grade 11 computer science course is any good…
Sadly, when I took my school's computer science class, it wasn't very good…

Now it is a bit better, although it's more accurately labeled a JavaFX and Android class.
Why are they teaching Java… it's not as good as showing how a computer works as C or x86 Assembly
I think Java is a perfect introductory programming language - it teaches useful concepts, provides a nice pathway to other popular languages such as C++, C#, and teaches good programming practices with its moderate strictness.

Another great tool would be a combination of C and Python - C to teach low-level concepts to give you an idea of what's going on and Python to teach more high-level OOP concepts without you having to worry about what's going on behind the scenes, while still being strict and strongly typed (unlike something like JavaScript).
I agree with your C and Python bit, but Java is a pretty good way to go.
DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

k i fix message u happy

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

I'm making a messaging service so I can talk to my friends on other computers using the school server.

Sigton

bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Also when you're forced to take down one of your sites because a kid complained about the site being dedicated to making a religion out of him…

Game Over
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

bybb wrote:

Also when you're forced to take down one of your sites because a kid complained about the site being dedicated to making a religion out of him…
What? XD

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

bybb wrote:

I almost did at a summer camp I went to…
herohamp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

TheUltimatum wrote:

bybb wrote:

I almost did at a summer camp I went to…
CIARAN WILL LIVE ON

Last edited by herohamp (Nov. 9, 2017 02:25:21)

DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

our computers became slow so they made all computer signed into admin account