Discuss Scratch

LTV2008
Scratcher
57 posts

School IT

Peneren wrote:

han614698 wrote:

A lot of this topic is making fun of IT people and how stupid they do things, but I know first hand that it's not easy.

My Dad is the head of IT for my school district, which is one of the biggest central purchasing school district in the country, so he actually influences what type of new features they add to the next HP computers, since we are one of the biggest customers.

Anyway, that's just my background in this subject, but I would like to say that almost 100% of the time the school district has NO control over what is blocked on your school device - it's almost always the blocking company, whether that be Securely, Fortinet, Hapara, or GoGuardian.

If your blocking system blocks downloads, it is an hours long process to manually program a pathway to this download in many unfamiliar languages just to whitelist it. Websites aren't much easier.

Also I don't know how deep I'm allowed to go into this on Scratch, but if you have a chromebook, there are very easy ways to get to an unblocked google. So I can explain that if someone can confirm that it's allowed for me to say.
My school system has complete control over what is and is not blocked. My school uses the program “iBoss”

My school has both a Fortinet firewall in their server and GoGuardian on the student laptops (which seems kinda dumb) but then they also decide to block adblock (which makes webpages faster on the Chromebooks!) so yeah that sucks…
PaxtonPenguin
Scratcher
88 posts

School IT

zaid1442011 wrote:

PaxtonPenguin wrote:

(#1639)
I watched a video about hacking an iboss. It's not a program, it's a rack mounted dns blocking thing. (and by hacking I mean gaming on it, the server)
I think they were talking about another thing.

You watched Bringus Studios' video?
yes
All I can find is the logo for the rack mount thing so

Hi, I’m Paxton, and i created Peep
Website

dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

RobotChickens wrote:

(#1637)

BigNate469 wrote:

(#1635)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

our school's wifi password is so unprotected that the students use it to watch youtube at school
Wow, that's pathetic (on the part of whoever made the password).
What part of “make a strong password” implies making a easy-to-guess password?
Our school has a really secure wi-fi network for the chromebooks as well as a guest network. Tons of people watch youtube on both, so idk how a secure wi-fi password is supposed to stop this…
in india there are no chromebooks. and the phones have to be snuck in. btw, the password is so simple that it's on your number keys

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Anything above that grey line is a signature!
Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
Computer enthusiast, coder, designer and a offline veteran.
700th post
RobotChickens
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#1643)

RobotChickens wrote:

(#1637)

BigNate469 wrote:

(#1635)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

our school's wifi password is so unprotected that the students use it to watch youtube at school
Wow, that's pathetic (on the part of whoever made the password).
What part of “make a strong password” implies making a easy-to-guess password?
Our school has a really secure wi-fi network for the chromebooks as well as a guest network. Tons of people watch youtube on both, so idk how a secure wi-fi password is supposed to stop this…
in india there are no chromebooks. and the phones have to be snuck in. btw, the password is so simple that it's on your number keys
Do they want the wi-fi to be secure?? Doesn't seem like it sadly. They might not care about it that much. Just as long people arent doing anything illegal

Replying to SPAM is only adding more off-topic SPAM. Just report it.

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature
Get cool forum emojis HERE

Google Noto Emoji is superior as you can see

;