Discuss Scratch

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Constructive Recommendations On How to Respond to and Make Suggestions!

Austinato wrote:

Sigton wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

Support! This feature would be very useful!

Sigton
The irony ;-;
I did it on purpose guys.

____
WOO HOW DID I GET THE NEW PAGE

Last edited by miniepicness (Jan. 28, 2017 01:29:44)

dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

miniepicness wrote:

Austinato wrote:

Sigton wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

Support! This feature would be very useful!

Sigton
The irony ;-;
I did it on purpose guys.

____
WOO HOW DID I GET THE NEW PAGE

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dave4681 wrote:

Ok, lets' be serious now
Yeah.

Also, I'd like to tell Sigton that rather than using
[quote=1st suggestion]...[/quote]
he can use
[quote][b]1st suggestion[/b]
...[/quote]
to get rid of the "1st suggestion wrote" part while maintaining a simple, modified format in the OP.

(EDIT: Fixed tagleak.)

Last edited by Austinato (Jan. 28, 2017 15:18:37)

7500+ posts (19th)
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

dave4681 wrote:

Ok, lets' be serious now
Yeah.

he can use
...[/quote]
to get rid of the "1st suggestion wrote" part while maintaining a simple, modified format in the OP.

He probably did that for the purpose of making things easier, and a lot of suggestions are just those words; and may have their own formatting

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MathlyCat wrote:

Austinato wrote:

dave4681 wrote:

Ok, lets' be serious now
Yeah.

he can use
...[/quote]

He probably did that for the purpose of making things easier, and a lot of suggestions are just those words; and may have their own formatting
Understood, but should I make a version in BBCode for him to copy+paste?

7500+ posts (19th)
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Suggestion:

When posting, even if you aren't being sarcastic, make sure that your post can't be interpreted as sarcastic.
For example:
Hello! Please be constructive on the forums. If you be constructive, you will have better posts!
While that post is kind, it could be interpreted as sarcastic, even if you weren't being sarcastic.
Now, look at this example:
Please be constructive on the forums, as your posts quality will increase when you do that.
That post can't be (easily) interpreted as sarcastic, yet it isn't mean.
It could be improved, but do you like it?

Placeholder
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

Austinato wrote:

dave4681 wrote:

Ok, lets' be serious now
Yeah.

he can use
...[/quote]

Understood, but should I make a version in BBCode for him to copy+paste?
Idrk…
It's really one small thing…

Think before you act.

hi there fella
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@Austinato
I'll probably just leave it as-is.

Sigton

dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Suggestion:

When posting, even if you aren't being sarcastic, make sure that your post can't be interpreted as sarcastic.
For example:
Hello! Please be constructive on the forums. If you be constructive, you will have better posts!
While that post is kind, it could be interpreted as sarcastic, even if you weren't being sarcastic.
Please be constructive on the forums, as your posts quality will increase when you do that.
Just use an irony mark.

I included an example of an irony mark for you.

Please read my signature! It might explain some lingo that I used in my post or comment. However, not all of it shows, so you have to highlight the entire bottom of the post, from “Please read my signature!” to where it says report, and copy and paste in into a new sheet or tab or whatever.
I can't decide my signature between:
1. I'm a grammar stickler, and my pet peeve is when people use good as an adverb.
2. I have lots of [creativity]original ideas[/creativity]. [creativity]This[/creativity] is one of those ideas.
3. If I used this symbol: ⸮ in my comment, please look it up before doing anything else.
4. {Minot, North Dakota/Donald Trump parodies} “WE'RE GONNA BUILD A DAM AND MAKE CANADA PAY FOR IT!” “When Canada sends its water, they’re not sending their best drinking water…They’re bringing sleet. They’re bringing floods. The water's toxic.” (It's just a joke that I came up with.)
5. One should make his/her signature text small; that way (s)he can cram more text into the signature.
6. New [scratchblocks] idea each week! (Thanks to Bright-Idea (Read her signature.) for inspiration/the general idea.) Here's the archive:
Note: I stopped this because of signature character limits.
Week of 1-23-2017: Hat-caps tinyurl.com/htauyu2
Week of 1-16-2017: Country-colored scratchblocks tinyurl.com/z8lz6c4
Week of 1-9-2017: Drop-down booleans tinyurl.com/j5d3k6l
Week of 1-2-2017: Block->string inputs and more truth values tinyurl.com/jqu7avs

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dvargasews wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Suggestion:

For example:
Just use an irony mark.

Use an irony mark? So the post will look even more sarcastic? I think you didn't read my post.
Also, that won't show up on my browser because it is some obscure, outdated Unicode character that no one uses. Can you post an image of it instead?

Placeholder
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Suggestion:

For example:
Just use an irony mark.

Use an irony mark? So the post will look even more sarcastic? I think you didn't read my post.
Also, that won't show up on my browser because it is some obscure, outdated Unicode character that no one uses. Can you post an image of it instead?
It's not outdated enough to not show up on my Phone…
Nor does it seem obscure; pretty sure I've seen it used a few places.

Think before you act.

hi there fella
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MathlyCat wrote:

dude341 wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Suggestion:

For example:
Just use an irony mark.

It's not outdated enough to not show up on my Phone…
Nor does it seem obscure; pretty sure I've seen it used a few places.
I have never seen an irony mark. I only know that it's a substitute for </sarcasm>.
The reason why I can't see it is because probably it's an old emoji that has been changed to this “irony mark” and Emoji One (I think that's what Firefox uses?) hasn't updated to support that.

Last edited by dude341 (Jan. 29, 2017 02:15:35)

Placeholder
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I need to add something along the lines of “If someone misunderstood your post, don't assume they didn't read it and tell them to go do so” cause that's really bugging me

Sigton

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

I need to add something along the lines of “If someone misunderstood your post, don't assume they didn't read it and tell them to go do so” cause that's really bugging me

Sigton
Oh yeah, I actually used that on one of my posts in this thread:
Sorry Sigton

Placeholder
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
I agree, too many people go around telling people to read the OP or their own post when they themselves haven't read the reply totally

Think before you act.

hi there fella
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MathlyCat wrote:

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
I agree, too many people go around telling people to read the OP or their own post when they themselves haven't read the reply totally
Exactly, pretty hypocritical.

Sigton

dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

dude341 wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Suggestion:

For example:
Just use an irony mark.

I meant use it when you are being sarcastic so when you aren't being sarcastic and don't use an irony mark, people will know that you weren't being sarcastic because if you were being sarcastic, you would have used an irony mark.

Please read my signature! It might explain some lingo that I used in my post or comment. However, not all of it shows, so you have to highlight the entire bottom of the post, from “Please read my signature!” to where it says report, and copy and paste in into a new sheet or tab or whatever.
I can't decide my signature between:
1. I'm a grammar stickler, and my pet peeve is when people use good as an adverb.
2. I have lots of [creativity]original ideas[/creativity]. [creativity]This[/creativity] is one of those ideas.
3. If I used this symbol: ⸮ in my comment, please look it up before doing anything else.
4. {Minot, North Dakota/Donald Trump parodies} “WE'RE GONNA BUILD A DAM AND MAKE CANADA PAY FOR IT!” “When Canada sends its water, they’re not sending their best drinking water…They’re bringing sleet. They’re bringing floods. The water's toxic.” (It's just a joke that I came up with.)
5. One should make his/her signature text small; that way (s)he can cram more text into the signature.
6. New [scratchblocks] idea each week! (Thanks to Bright-Idea (Read her signature.) for inspiration/the general idea.) Here's the archive:
Note: I stopped this because of signature character limits.
Week of 1-23-2017: Hat-caps tinyurl.com/htauyu2
Week of 1-16-2017: Country-colored scratchblocks tinyurl.com/z8lz6c4
Week of 1-9-2017: Drop-down booleans tinyurl.com/j5d3k6l
Week of 1-2-2017: Block->string inputs and more truth values tinyurl.com/jqu7avs

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

@Austinato
I'll probably just leave it as-is.

Sigton
Alright.

7500+ posts (19th)
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dvargasews wrote:

dude341 wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Suggestion:

For example:
Just use an irony mark.

I meant use it when you are being sarcastic so when you aren't being sarcastic and don't use an irony mark, people will know that you weren't being sarcastic because if you were being sarcastic, you would have used an irony mark.
I think the point is don't use sarcasm. Most of the time you'll end up being rude; use it when it's silly and appropriate, not when you're going to be toxic to someone.

Think before you act.

hi there fella
Tymewalk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'd like to make another suggestion:

No support, people could misuse it.
No support, people would use it for <bad thing>.
No support, this allows people to do <bad thing>.

These arguments are all fair, but they tend to get overused where they shouldn't be. Many suggestions have had a lack of support due to the potential abuse of them. This makes sense in some cases where the features could be heavily abused to divide the community - i.e, ignore lists or upvotes/downvotes. But more often than not, this gets applied to perfectly fine suggestions.

One example is the user ID block - I won't describe it very much here, but it would report “0” in the case of a New Scratcher or logged-out person. Many people have suggested there this not be added as people could check if the ID was 0, then say “New Scratchers are babies and can't play” or something like that.

But there are also plenty of legitimate uses - better cloud saving, for instance, in which you can just look up the (user ID)th item in a Cloud list, rather than scanning for the user's name. Not only that, but abusive projects like that can already be done - by checking if a Cloud data variable can be changed. The Scratch Team allows projects like this to be reported. Given this, why would user ID be any different than Cloud data?

TL;DR - don't just say no support because it can be abused. No matter what you add someone will abuse it. Bringing up what to do then is a good point but saying no support solely based on that isn't very constructive.

bold thing - italic thing - underlined thing - strikethrough thing