Discuss Scratch

MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Constructive Recommendations On How to Respond to and Make Suggestions!

Scratcher1002 wrote:

3. If I No Support a suggestion it's for one of several reasons:
• I can't think of many applications for the suggestion.
• It's been rejected.
Point one: Then try to improve the suggestion, don't just turn it down without a second thought.
Point two: If a suggestion has been rejected, then what is the point of posting on the thread in the first place? Is it to make the person who suggested the suggestion feel bad?

Scratcher1002 wrote:

4. If I say it's unnecessary, it might be because it doesn't have many uses, or the uses don't make much sense, or it has a workaround.
All in all, good post, but I disagree with it. OH NO WHAT DO WE DO? MAYBE JUST MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES?!
Then try and politely explain your opinion and either post the workaround or suggest something to improve the block.
There's no need to be rude.

Trust, but verify ⅼ There is a madness to my method ⅼ Always outnumbered, never outclassed ⅼ They said I couldn't, so I did ⅼ I didn't lie, I circumnavigated the truth ⅼ Determination is the wake up call to the human will ⅼ I don't want to hurt you. And you know that I can ⅼ People can change - there is reason for hope ⅼ True friends stab you in the front ⅼ No I'm not ‘giving up’ I'm just too classy to fight an idiot like you
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Thanks Meag for helping out

Sigton

MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

Support…
These are some very good ideas!
However I think it's fine to say support/no support but it should just be a way to convey your opinion it should not have the meaning and value it seems to have now, as you should also state what you like, what you don't and what could be improved.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with Support or No Support in itself, the problem is that no one posts a reason as to why they are giving support or not. Just posting No Support can make a user confused, and feel like his opinion doesn't exactly matter.

Trust, but verify ⅼ There is a madness to my method ⅼ Always outnumbered, never outclassed ⅼ They said I couldn't, so I did ⅼ I didn't lie, I circumnavigated the truth ⅼ Determination is the wake up call to the human will ⅼ I don't want to hurt you. And you know that I can ⅼ People can change - there is reason for hope ⅼ True friends stab you in the front ⅼ No I'm not ‘giving up’ I'm just too classy to fight an idiot like you
MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

Thanks Meag for helping out

Sigton
Your welcome. For some reason this is fun.

Ceo_
Scratcher
500+ posts

I think, for stop the “support/no support”, it should be buttons “Support” and “No support” in the suggestion forum. Like this,the posts in the forum are here just for make the suggestion better.

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MegaByteCorporations wrote:

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with Support or No Support in itself, the problem is that no one posts a reason as to why they are giving support or not. Just posting No Support can make a user confused, and feel like his opinion doesn't exactly matter.
The simplest solution to the problem is just to stop using support/no support.

Sigton

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
It should just be like saying “I like this idea…” Or “I don't like this idea…” Some people might just want to state their opinion as well.
But it should not be something expected like it is now.

Last edited by powercon5 (Aug. 28, 2016 13:37:54)

Witty signature.

MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ceo_ wrote:

I think, for stop the “support/no support”, it should be buttons “Support” and “No support” in the suggestion forum. Like this,the posts in the forum are here just for make the suggestion better.
That is an interesting idea, possibly there could be a bot that restricts your being able to post that until you give a reason?
The problem wit that is that there are forums (like this one) that are guides to how to properly suggest things or are lists of workarounds, and this would restrict posting on them as well.

MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

It should just be like saying “I like this idea…” Or “I don't like this idea…” Some people might just want to state their opinion as well.
Correct.

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
Yes, I like how you have said that

Sigton

Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratcher1002 wrote:

3. If I No Support a suggestion it's for one of several reasons:
• I can't think of many applications for the suggestion.
• It's been rejected.
Point one: Then try to improve the suggestion, don't just turn it down without a second thought.
Point two: If a suggestion has been rejected, then what is the point of posting on the thread in the first place? Is it to make the person who suggested the suggestion feel bad?

Scratcher1002 wrote:

4. If I say it's unnecessary, it might be because it doesn't have many uses, or the uses don't make much sense, or it has a workaround.
All in all, good post, but I disagree with it. OH NO WHAT DO WE DO? MAYBE JUST MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES?!
Then try and politely explain your opinion and either post the workaround or suggest something to improve the block.
There's no need to be rude.
When there's a workaround, usually it's a semi-support for me, not no support.
It was a joke, not meant to be rude.

powercon5 wrote:

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
I think support/no support is the norm because it's short and easy to type.
MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratcher1002 wrote:

And now onto the topic of “Semi-Supports”, in my personal opinion these are both the best and the worst of Support and No Support, the best because they are usually the only kind that people actually give a reason for. And the worst because they don't really add anything to the conversation.

Scratcher1002 wrote:

Saying “Support” or “No Support” as well as stating your reasons is just as easy as saying “I like this idea because etc., etc.” or “I don't like this idea because etc., etc.”. No Support is actually, in my personal opinion, a bit rude.

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratcher1002 wrote:

And now onto the topic of “Semi-Supports”, in my personal opinion these are both the best and the worst of Support and No Support, the best because they are usually the only kind that people actually give a reason for. And the worst because they don't really add anything to the conversation.

Scratcher1002 wrote:

Saying “Support” or “No Support” as well as stating your reasons is just as easy as saying “I like this idea because etc., etc.” or “I don't like this idea because etc., etc.”. No Support is actually, in my personal opinion, a bit rude.
Yeah, I have seen a lot of people get upset on scratch because lot's of people just post

blank1 wrote:

No support

blank2 wrote:

No support

blank3 wrote:

No support
especially when they don't give a reason or it is usually the same reason.
Maybe You could say something like

niceperson wrote:

I don't support this idea because… but maybe if you change this…
Or something like that?

Last edited by powercon5 (Aug. 28, 2016 14:12:15)

Witty signature.

MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

Yeah, I have seen a lot of people get upset on scratch because lot's of people just post
-snip-
Or something like that?
Support. XD

GlassGalaxy
Scratcher
500+ posts

Ah. Yep. Those posts that just say “Support/Semi/No Support” without any reasoning whatsoever because “they don't have the time”. At least add an extra sentence or two?

Usually when I don't agree with a suggestion, I avoid saying “I don't like this idea” because it's kinda rude and I would not enjoy getting that feedback if I had made the suggestion.

sobbing about pinof 9
MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GlassGalaxy wrote:

Ah. Yep. Those posts that just say “Support/Semi/No Support” without any reasoning whatsoever because “they don't have the time”. At least add an extra sentence or two?

Usually when I don't agree with a suggestion, I avoid saying “I don't like this idea” because it's kinda rude and I would not enjoy getting that feedback if I had made the suggestion.
I agree with you. It would be better to say, “This is a good idea, but you could make it even better by…” Try to keep a positive attitude when on the Suggestions forum.

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GlassGalaxy wrote:

I agree with you. It would be better to say, “This is a good idea, but you could make it even better by…” Try to keep a positive attitude when on the Suggestions forum.
Well you should always try to start with a positive and then a negative. Even if you like it you should always try and give constructive criticism otherwise the idea would never be improved and refined. However it should still be a positive comment.

Last edited by powercon5 (Aug. 28, 2016 14:26:12)

Witty signature.

MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

GlassGalaxy wrote:

Well you should always try to start with a positive and then a negative. Even if you like it you should always try and give constructive criticism otherwise the idea would never be improved and refined. However it should still be a positive comment.
You should envelope a negative in a positive.

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

GlassGalaxy wrote:

You should envelope a negative in a positive.
Yeah.

Witty signature.

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If you “don't have time” to reply to a post fully, then wait until you have time to finish it. You wouldn't send a half finished email or text, would you?

Sigton