Discuss Scratch

ExperienceSea
Scratcher
91 posts

ITopic - Making Your Way Into the Scratch Community :)

Hi! This is kind of a how-to forum, idk. I don't go on the forums much but I just wanted to share some ways that new/unknown Scratchers can get really plugged into the community of Scratch. This means making friends, getting more views on projects, discussing ideas, and getting noticed in general.
(also this sounds like I'm trying to make a sticky, but er.. whatever)

- Entering Contests
Entering contests is a REALLY good way to get yourself out there cause a lot of people will see your work. The judges (of course), and lots of contestants check out their competition.
You can find a good contest by looking in TOP REMIXED, searching for “Contest” or “Art Contest” etc., or by snooping around profiles XD
Try to find a contest where you can really display your skills, but it's totally fine to enter just for fun. Also another plus is that contests usually have pretty sweet prizes

- Joining Studios
Helping out in studios that fit your interests is another great way to meet new Scratchers! To find a good studio fit for you, you can look in the featured studios on the front page, but sometimes they have too many curators already So, you can search some of your interests like “Art Studio” “Pen Studio” “Platformer Studio”. Try to find an active studio, with curators that are already busily working.
You can also join a conversing studio like a debate studio
#Debate
or this fun one:
Studio for Pointless Rants

- Following Others
Following others is a great way to find out more great projects that that user has made. Also, you can see projects that they are discovering in the What's Happening Box. Dropping a friendly comment on their profile is a nice way to start a friendship, but refrain from advertising

- Using the Show and Tell Forum
The Show and Tell forum is nice, but sometimes forum ads get lost. In this case, using the golden rule (Treat others like you would like to be treated) can be helpful here Try to check out one or more project advertisements in the Show and Tell Forum for every one you post! This is another great way to make friends

Getting to know the Scratch Team
The Scratch Team includes wonderful hardworking people who are always ready to help you!
You can ask them questions, and also say hello- many of them enjoy welcoming new scratchers. One particularly friendly and talkative Scratch Team Member is @ceebee*

Taking In Requests
I think a bunch of you know that I really like art, so when I first joined Scratch, I started taking in Icon Requests.
Think of how the community could need your talents-
Do you like coding- maybe you could offer bug fix services!
Art- icon requests or art requests in general
If you like animating- you could offer animated intros if you wanted to
You can also join some shops, which are often in the Collaboration Forum

Art Trades (For Artists)
If you like to draw, you could find other artists on Scratch who are willing to do Art Trades. An art trade is when you each draw something for each other. This is a sample conversation of how to set up an art trade:
Person A: Hello! I like your art style Do you do AT's (Art trades)
Person B: Yes, I do, what would you like?
Person A: I would like a frappuccino, wbu?
Person B: I would like a unicorn with a mohawk, I'll let you know when I'm done
Person A: Ok!

So here are just some ideas of ways to get involved with the Scratch Community! You can post your ideas below as well, and I hope this helps any new/unknown Scratchers out there <3

~ ExperienceSea
shd02
Scratcher
100+ posts

ExperienceSea
Scratcher
91 posts

shd02 wrote:

Great topic, I suggested it to be a sticky.

Thank you
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Good guide! I'm going to move it over to the New Scratchers area as I think they would benefit the most from it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
scratchnapped
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nice guide! Really helpful :0
Gz on getting stickied

“If you get it, then let's go, crown citizen.”
flash1163
Scratcher
23 posts

I wood love to make some friendshttps://scratch.mit.edu/studios/2936308/projects/
-Rosella-
Scratcher
12 posts

Hi! I'm newish, I was here for a week and already have quite a few projects. I'm a new scratcher still. (To be honest I've had scratch accounts before, but I wanted a new start/break from the other accounts!) So hello everyone!

Last edited by -Rosella- (Aug. 13, 2016 06:34:39)

TheWolfNinja1
Scratcher
3 posts

Hai~~~I'm kinda new here as this is my second account! I created this account so I could have a fresh start! I'm not good at all on Scratch but I'm learning!!! Your Tips are really useful and I'll try them out! ThankYou soooo Much for the help…..Like me I'm pretty sure alot of new Scratchers will appreciate this!!!! ヾ(@^▽^@)ノ

You Told Me Dreams do come True! But You Never told me Nightmares are Dreams too!
ExperienceSea
Scratcher
91 posts

Yes, ExperienceSea isn't my first account either -Rosella- and TheWolfNinja1

1ThatOneShadow1
Scratcher
7 posts

i just started scratch yesterday and well I'm kinda good at scratch but i i can make aa good (part of a game) and i never finsh it!

Last edited by 1ThatOneShadow1 (Aug. 13, 2016 15:19:59)

TheWolfNinja1
Scratcher
3 posts

Welcome to Scratch 1ThatOneShadow1!!!!!!!!! Hope you like it here!!! 。◕‿ ◕。

You Told Me Dreams do come True! But You Never told me Nightmares are Dreams too!
1ThatOneShadow1
Scratcher
7 posts

i do like scratch a lot! even when i was little i all ways wanted to make a game now i can!! i kinda hard but I'm pretty sure i can make a game sooner then later!
forever

SCRATCH4EVER

Last edited by 1ThatOneShadow1 (Aug. 15, 2016 03:06:51)

cs404434
Scratcher
9 posts

Hey!! I'm new.. But my account is through school and my school is now done so I can do more projects and meet new scratchers!!
ExperienceSea
Scratcher
91 posts

cs404434 wrote:

Hey!! I'm new.. But my account is through school and my school is now done so I can do more projects and meet new scratchers!!

That's great
TalkingWithGuy
Scratcher
13 posts

Hello! I have been on Scratch for over 4 years on my main account, but I have never really experienced the Scratch community, so I guess that emakes me new? IDK :I
ExperienceSea
Scratcher
91 posts

TalkingWithGuy wrote:

Hello! I have been on Scratch for over 4 years on my main account, but I have never really experienced the Scratch community, so I guess that emakes me new? IDK :I

Yeah, sort of A lot of people just use Scratch for coding, which is totally fine- but sometimes the best ways for people to see your work is to get to know the community as well
1ThatOneShadow1
Scratcher
7 posts

same with me i have been playing scratch for idk three weeks now
forever

Scratch4Aever
Anime_Okatu
Scratcher
10 posts

Hi! A notice to everyone on here, peole can take your art and use it for themselves! You only get a *Little* credit! Happy scratching!
jinxaccio6793
Scratcher
100+ posts

Nice! Thank you!

I'm really excited for Scratch 3.0!
1ThatOneShadow1
Scratcher
7 posts

OK SO EVERY ONE CAN FIT IN ON SCRATCH