Discuss Scratch

birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

In addition: Just something I've noticed in the AT lately, especially wish the influx of younger posters, but whenever the thread goes off topic, let's not spend twenty posts complaining about how off topic it is and spamming emoticons about ‘lol look how distracted we are’. Instead GET BACK to the topic you're supposed to be focusing on, or make a new thread to discuss what you were discussing.

Am I the only person who likes 3.0 better than 2.0, or do the people who do just not talk about it?
frodewin
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

thisandagain wrote:

frodewin wrote:

ok, thanks, I will write it as follows:

Scratch 3.0 will rely on a new implementation of an html5 player instead of being based on the community created html5 players like the abandoned HTML5 player, Phosphorus or Sulfurous.

Thanks for helping maintain the Wiki!

I'm not 100% sure if I agree with the way this is being represented. The earlier HTML5 player was also created by the Scratch Team. Also, there is a big difference between what we have built (a full Scratch interpreter and editor) vs. other explorations like Phosphorus and Sulfurous which convert an SB2 into JavaScript and so I'm worried that both this and the English language wiki are comparing apples to oranges (interpreters to converters) which is misleading.

Thanks for this info, I have changed now the text as follows, is this fine?

Scratch 3.0 will be a new implementation of a full Scratch interpreter and editor, which will be different from previous implementations of Scratch project players for html5, most notably the HTML5 Player, the Phosphorus Player and the Sulfurous Player.

You can also find my best projects here or stop at my profile and say hi!
IgDegOo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

What happened to all the posts?
thisandagain
Forum Moderator
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

IgDegOo wrote:

What happened to all the posts?
Off-topic posts and flaming back and forth will be reported and removed / moved if needed.
thisandagain
Forum Moderator
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

frodewin wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

frodewin wrote:

ok, thanks, I will write it as follows:

Scratch 3.0 will rely on a new implementation of an html5 player instead of being based on the community created html5 players like the abandoned HTML5 player, Phosphorus or Sulfurous.

Thanks for helping maintain the Wiki!

I'm not 100% sure if I agree with the way this is being represented. The earlier HTML5 player was also created by the Scratch Team. Also, there is a big difference between what we have built (a full Scratch interpreter and editor) vs. other explorations like Phosphorus and Sulfurous which convert an SB2 into JavaScript and so I'm worried that both this and the English language wiki are comparing apples to oranges (interpreters to converters) which is misleading.

Thanks for this info, I have changed now the text as follows, is this fine?

Scratch 3.0 will be a new implementation of a full Scratch interpreter and editor, which will be different from previous implementations of Scratch project players for html5, most notably the HTML5 Player, the Phosphorus Player and the Sulfurous Player.

Thanks! That seems much better to me!
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Here's an interesting issue: (#152)

Particularly:
Everything is handled with props passing. This is a good place for redux, but I needed it to be done for the play test tomorrow.

I'm curious about who that play test is targeted towards – it could really be anyone, such as Scratch users, but also anybody they'd like to present the future of the Scratch editor to – but in any case play tests are always nice!

..PS, in case anybody doesn't know, you can try scratch-gui on its official GitHub page (add “#PROJECT_ID” to view a 2.0 project in it).

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20 21, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
thisandagain
Forum Moderator
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

_nix wrote:

Particularly:
Everything is handled with props passing. This is a good place for redux, but I needed it to be done for the play test tomorrow.

I'm curious about who that play test is targeted towards – it could really be anyone, such as Scratch users, but also anybody they'd like to present the future of the Scratch editor to – but in any case play tests are always nice!

..PS, in case anybody doesn't know, you can try scratch-gui on its official GitHub page (add “#PROJECT_ID” to view a 2.0 project in it).

We are doing an “internal” test with almost every member of the Scratch Team tomorrow which is what that is referring to. We do internal tests like this before we do testing with kids / teens. Our third such test for 3.0 is in about two weeks!
DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

thisandagain wrote:

_nix wrote:

Particularly:

We are doing an “internal” test with almost every member of the Scratch Team tomorrow which is what that is referring to. We do internal tests like this before we do testing with kids / teens. Our third such test for 3.0 is in about two weeks!
Can't wait for the Scratcher test

NickyNouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

_nix wrote:

Particularly:

Can't wait for the Scratcher test
You can test it now and report bugs you find
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Switching to a non-existent costume name now switches to the last costume, previously it didn't switch at all. This breaks some case sensing and possibly other projects.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
thisandagain
Forum Moderator
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

stickfiregames wrote:

Switching to a non-existent costume name now switches to the last costume, previously it didn't switch at all. This breaks some case sensing and possibly other projects.
That is a really good catch. Thanks!
djdolphin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

thisandagain wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

Is there any chance of getting a proper method of case detection? String manipulation in Scratch is currently a bit ridiculous, especially if you aren't familiar with the program.

Something like
<[hello world] exactly equals [HELLO WORLD]? :: operators>
([hello world] to uppercase :: operators)
([HELLO WORLD] to lowercase :: operators)
would be nice, and much more understandable than using a quirk in costume switching.

I think a block like
(letters (1) to (5) of [hello world] :: operators)
is also long overdue. The workaround of reading each letter individually isn't that difficult to figure out, but it's pretty annoying.

EDIT: Lol sorry, I just saw thisandagain's post asking for feature requests to not be posted here. I think this was relevant to the post before though, and unfortunately posts in the the suggestions usually seem to go completely ignored.

Last edited by djdolphin (March 3, 2017 00:20:46)

!
awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

djdolphin wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

Is there any chance of getting a proper method of case detection? String manipulation in Scratch is currently a bit ridiculous, especially if you aren't familiar with the program.

Something like
<[hello world] exactly equals [HELLO WORLD]? :: operators>
([hello world] to uppercase :: operators)
([HELLO WORLD] to lowercase :: operators)
would be nice, and much more understandable than using a quirk in costume switching.

I think a block like
is also long overdue. The workaround of reading each letter individually isn't that difficult to figure out, but it's pretty annoying.

Don't really get the other blocks but I'd love to see this block around!

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Studio!
Ask Ouija!
Ask a question and get your answers one. letter. at. a. time. Join now!

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

The + in the buttons are off centered.
My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.11, Firefox 51.0, Flash 24.0 (release 0)

who needs signatures
Ed8
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Bug: When you hover your mouse over the scratch logo, it has the light blue tint, and it should be dark blue for it to look more like the homepage.

When I hover my mouse over the scratch logo in the GUI, it look different then the main site.

It is also smaller on the GUI then on the main site.

First post on page 100! yay!

(Sorry no image)

Last edited by Ed8 (March 3, 2017 01:31:11)

Scratch 3.0 is here!
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Eh, here's a list of things I'd like to point out (most likely all noted and documented, but I'll just go ahead):

I am also aware that this is still in development.

• Buttons - Buttons, including the zoom feature, just appear “stale” and don't reflect the fact that they're pushed. (If you don't have any scripts inside, and click the button, it appears like nothing has happened.)
  • Cut-off Sprite Library Design - When selecting a sprite costume, and scrolling all the way down, you see a sprite in the center, but the bottom half of it is cut off/not visible. This also applies with a background.
  • Continuously Unaligned - When interacting with the script editor, according to the scrollbars at the bottom and right, you have space up left. When you drag the script(s) to the suggested top-left, it continues this effect.

Questions
  • Is the player now 272x217? Honestly, not quite satisfying in terms of equilibrium.
  • Why are there red/blue squares on the left of reporter blocks?

7500+ posts (19th)
NickyNouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Austinato wrote:

Questions
  • Is the player now 272x217? Honestly, not quite satisfying in terms of equilibrium.

1- It's showing as 480x360 for me at different window sizes, make sure your browser zoom is set to the default
2- those are checkboxes (or they will be eventually) to toggle variable watchers on the stage

Last edited by NickyNouse (March 3, 2017 04:58:46)

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

NickyNouse wrote:

Austinato wrote:

Questions

1- It's showing as 480x360 for me at different window sizes
Can we have a 4k stage in Scratch 3 please?

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

NickyNouse wrote:

Austinato wrote:

Questions

And widescreen!

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
NickyNouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

infinitytec wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

NickyNouse wrote:

Austinato wrote:

Questions

And widescreen!
That'd be a great use for a fork, userscript (if the ST decides to expose the VM), or 3.0-style extension (depending on how much control it has)

Last edited by NickyNouse (March 3, 2017 05:47:15)