Discuss Scratch

NickyNouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

NitroCipher wrote:

I think they should make it so it saves your block palette colors to your user profile instead of having to re-apply it every time you open the editor like in 2.0. This also should apply for setting the side that the stage appears on. (assuming they add an option to switch the side)
I don't know if they're planning on making a settings panel where you can customize block colors in Scratch 3.0, but now that it's in HTML5 you can style it with CSS via a userscript or userstyle.
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

PullJosh wrote:

Ceo_ wrote:

I noticed that the scene was at the right, but personally I prefer this at the left. Does anyone know if there will be an option to change it ?

Sorry if my English is bad, I'm French so I don't speak English usually…
I know I've mentioned this somewhere before, but I'll say it again:

For users who speak languages which are read from left to right, it seems only logical to have the stage on the right. When building a program, you begin with the block palette, place the blocks, and then see the resulting project. This matches the left-to-right flow of the screen in Scratch 3.0 (and 1.x). With a massive portion of the Scratch community speaking English or another left-to-right language, it seems to me that placing the stage on the right side is very nearly an objectively better decision.

That being said, I might just be getting old and cranky. A 1.4-like layout feels much more homely than the 2.0 style.
Would/should right-to-left languages have the stage on the left and blocks on the right?

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
-Io-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Sheep_maker wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

Ceo_ wrote:

I noticed that the scene was at the right, but personally I prefer this at the left. Does anyone know if there will be an option to change it ?

For users who speak languages which are read from left to right, it seems only logical to have the stage on the right. When building a program, you begin with the block palette, place the blocks, and then see the resulting project. This matches the left-to-right flow of the screen in Scratch 3.0 (and 1.x). With a massive portion of the Scratch community speaking English or another left-to-right language, it seems to me that placing the stage on the right side is very nearly an objectively better decision.

That being said, I might just be getting old and cranky. A 1.4-like layout feels much more homely than the 2.0 style.
Would/should right-to-left languages have the stage on the left and blocks on the right?
Yes and IIRC that's how Blockly (what Scratch 3 is based on) does it.

EDIT: IIRC might fit better than AFAIK

Last edited by -Io- (Feb. 17, 2017 01:32:37)

jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

I don't think that is really beneficial, because Scratch is written up-to-down. In the horizontal view, if the direction was reversed then it might make a bit more sense imo.
-Io-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

jokebookservice1 wrote:

I don't think that is really beneficial, because Scratch is written up-to-down. In the horizontal view, if the direction was reversed then it might make a bit more sense imo.
I don't really care. Blockly does criticize the stage to the right and the workspace in the middle problem, though, saying that because the workspace grows with the screen, it pushes the block palette and the stage too far, separating the tools you regularly use, and that the stage should be the first thing you see.

thisandagain
Forum Moderator
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

PullJosh wrote:

Ceo_ wrote:

Yup! I'm not sure how objective it is, but that is part of our theory as well. For languages which read right-to-left (RTL) we are considering flipping the entire interface. In any case, we are going to test this thoroughly before committing to a direction.
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

thisandagain wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

Yup! I'm not sure how objective it is, but that is part of our theory as well. For languages which read right-to-left (RTL) we are considering flipping the entire interface. In any case, we are going to test this thoroughly before committing to a direction.
Awesome. I suppose “objective” was probably the wrong word to use, but I'm glad you're with me on the idea. Flipping the layout on a language change is an interesting idea. The best bet in making that decision is probably just through trial and error.
titanscratch
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

Sigton wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

Ceo_ wrote:

We are testing out having the stage to the right but if it doesn't test well we will change it back. There are some pretty big advantages to it being shown on the right though and want to explore both options.
It will take a while to get used to it being on the right though

Sigton
Agreed
Me too!

QuantumSingularity wrote:

Ceo_ wrote:

Sigton wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

Ceo_ wrote:

We are testing out having the stage to the right but if it doesn't test well we will change it back. There are some pretty big advantages to it being shown on the right though and want to explore both options.
It will take a while to get used to it being on the right though

Sigton
Happy to hear that ! Scratch 3.0 looks so cool I am impatient !
Ninja'd.

*a-year-isn't that long!* *a-year-isn't that long!* *a-year-isn't that long!*
I'm so impatient!

Scratch Wiki Contributor • Active Forum User • New goal: 500 posts • 310/500 posts (62%)My projectsMy studiosMy profile

(-_-) // This is the Bob the good kumquat. He and his army fight evil kumquats.
(-@-) // This is one of the evil kumquats that eat up your signature!!!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
mrbumppo
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

<Am I Awsome?>

mrbumppo
The Internet is a weird place, so don't question it.

jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

In the meanwhile, I love the way scratch 3.0 is shaping up! Even though I hated scratch 1.4, I like how it looks so far.

Last edited by technoboy10 (Feb. 18, 2017 00:03:50)

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

SirShadow
Scratcher
90 posts

Scratch 3.0

I have very strong feelings of disdain for:

- The rounded stage
-The lack of contrast

Seriously, unless I concentrate the whole screen is pretty much just one color (Okay, I'm exaggerating only a little. Still hurting my eyes, though), and I don't like the rounded corners on the stage for an obvious reason.

Wow, this guy is 17 and still hasn't put out a cool project yet? Guess he's just a washed up old man, eh?
I'm so much more skilled now that looking back on my projects fills me with distorted amusement. Tragic, but still funny.
tcman2006
Scratcher
36 posts

Scratch 3.0

SirShadow wrote:

- The rounded stage
-The lack of contrast

Seriously, unless I concentrate the whole screen is pretty much just one color (Okay, I'm exaggerating only a little. Still hurting my eyes, though), and I don't like the rounded corners on the stage for an obvious reason.
I totally get what you mean by that. I like to move sprites to see their shadow, and then put it down and be like - CONTRAST I NEED YOU- get my memo?
awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

mrbumppo wrote:

<Am I Awsome?>

Is this spam? Is THIS spam? idk..

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Studio!
Ask Ouija!
Ask a question and get your answers one. letter. at. a. time. Join now!

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
NickyNouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

tcman2006 wrote:

SirShadow wrote:

- The rounded stage
-The lack of contrast

I totally get what you mean by that. I like to move sprites to see their shadow, and then put it down and be like - CONTRAST I NEED YOU- get my memo?
I think they were talking about in the gui
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

jromagnoli wrote:

In the meanwhile, I love the way scratch 3.0 is shaping up! Even though I hated scratch 1.4, I like how it looks so far.
I don't use (nor were around for) Scratch 1.4, but I don't like the design - I still respect it, knowing it's an older version and all, but I still didn't like the design of Scratch 1.4.

7500+ posts (19th)
scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Austinato wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

I don't use (nor were around for) Scratch 1.4, but I don't like the design - I still respect it, knowing it's an older version and all, but I still didn't like the design of Scratch 1.4.
Yeah, today it looks dated, especially the color and texture choices. Lots of rounded corners, pinstripes, and drop shadow.

Looking past that, though, I think the layout is pretty nice.

I am a Lava Expert
tcman2006
Scratcher
36 posts

Scratch 3.0

NickyNouse wrote:

tcman2006 wrote:

SirShadow wrote:

- The rounded stage
-The lack of contrast

I think they were talking about in the gui
anyway…
IgDegOo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

here is my guide how to relax using the new features in scratch 3
  1. put this script in the scratch cat

2. put on your headphones
  3. set your computer's volume to 100%
  4. click the green flag
  5. enjoy

DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

IgDegOo wrote:

4. click the green flag
  5. enjoy

I think that's How to break your over priced beat headphones

IgDegOo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

IgDegOo wrote:

4. click the green flag
  5. enjoy

I think that's How to break your over priced beat headphones
by “break your over priced beat headphones” do you mean “burst your eardrums”?