Co49 wrote:

Invisblemario wrote:

May I please do these in order?
1.Standard Programming
2.Certified Collaborator Course
3.Standard Managing

Welcome to the collaboration!
When do I start?

Right, what specifically do you want to improve in?
Pen, clones

Hi!
when green flag clicked
forever
if <(you meet me) = [true]> then
say [Hi!]
end
end
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Crimson & Co's College of Collaboration [Student]

HarryB178 wrote:

Notice: RickCall12 has passed his programming assignment. He now should get the certificate.
RiskCall12 has fulfilled the whole criteria?
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

HarryB178 wrote:

Notice: RickCall12 has passed his programming assignment. He now should get the certificate.

He passed my assignment.
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HarryB178 wrote:

Co49 wrote:

HarryB178 wrote:

He passed my assignment.

Okay, I'll make a certificate for our first graduate.
k9lego
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Post disappeared.

Last edited by k9lego (Sept. 5, 2015 19:06:41)

- Let's Eat  Grandma! This is a hidden advertisement for the Collab Hyper Cloud Inc. :)
- Let's Eat, Grandma!
Commas Save Lives!

Nothing Much here…

If you want to reply to me, please comment with the link to the topic “On my profile page”. thanks. k9lego
Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

HarryB178 wrote:

Co49 wrote:

HarryB178 wrote:

He passed my assignment.

Uh, he only did one assignment.

Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Standard Management - Lesson Two - Hiring
-The way to hire new members

Imagine you have been put in charge of hiring of a collaboration. This lesson will give you tips on advertising for jobs and selecting the right member for the job.

Advertising the Job
Sometimes it can be hard to attract new members, especially when the collaboration is new or there are few members already. Methods of attracting new members and advertising jobs include:
▀ Ensure (Recruiting Now) is included in the thread's title. If you are recruiting one or a few particular position(s), include that in the title.
▀ Add a link to it in your profile.
▀ Ensure the signature banner includes what you are hiring for and that it links to the forum thread. Try to ask members to include it in their signature.
▀ Tell members to ask their friends of scratch if they would like to join the collaboration.
You could also consider inviting friends to the collaboration to help.

Checking Applications
Requirements
Some collaborations have certain requirements such as a minimum time on scratch so be sure to check applicants against this. However, if the applicant is only just short yet outstanding in skill, you would probably want to consider breaking these requirements.
Check Projects
Be sure to have a good look at the applicant's work, especially what they label as their best work. This will be a good indicator if they have the right skills for the collaboration as a musician, scripter or graphic artist. Have a look inside the programs if they are applying to be a programmer.
Experience
Ask the applicant about their previous experience, especially if they are apply for a management position. This can show that they are well suited for the job that they are applying for.
Motivation and Time
If an applicant applies very enthusiastic and takes time with their application, they are more likely to work hard for the collaboration. If half the fields of the application are left blank unexplained, they are probably not as motivated for the job. Also make sure the Scratcher will have time for the collaboration but this depends whether it is a serious or more relaxed collaboration.

Accepting and Initiation
When accepting a member into a collaboration, be sure to invite them to the studio (if there is one), explain what team they work in/any duties they have and explain where they will find their assignments and how to submit them. Make sure they explain the set up very clearly to them so that they know their team well and are not confused later on. Most importantly though, be sure to personally greet them and welcome them to the collaboration.

Rejection
Whether it is due to the job already being taken or they lack experience, you may need to reject some applicants. However, you must always inform them in a kind way.

Bad Chief of Hiring wrote:

Sorry but you were not accepted.
This is a very blunt and inconsiderate response. Make sure any response gives a reason and wishes them well.

Good Chief of Hiring wrote:

Sorry but I'm afraid that you very not accepted because you did not have enough experience in the area you were applying for. However, I wish you good luck!

Example Applications

Applicant #1 wrote:

Time using Scratch: Over two years
Link to best project(s): I have made a Zombie Invasion game here
Role as a: Senior Programmer
Experience in other collaborations (leadership and time): I have managed a few other gaming collaborations before. Some projects that I have helped design and program have been on the front page.
This applicant clearly has a lot of experience in both management, scratch and programming. They are well suited for the job.

Applicant #2 wrote:

Time using Scratch: Almost eight months now
Link to best project(s): I have made loads of games and programming tutorials, such as: link, link and link.
Role as a: Programmer Manager
Experience in other collaborations (leadership and time): I haven't had any experience in leadership but I am willing to learn!
This applicant has lots of experience in programming but none in leadership. This means they should probably be a programmer, not a manager.

Applicant #3 wrote:

Time using Scratch:
Link to best project(s): Any of my projects
Role as a: Programmer
Experience in other collaborations (leadership and time):
This applicant hasn't filled in half the fields and hasn't linked to any specific projects.

Last edited by Co49 (Dec. 30, 2015 11:16:52)

dolphin_24
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Actually, I don't want to take my class anymore.

Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dolphin_24 wrote:

Actually, I don't want to take my class anymore.

Okay.

sonicfan12p
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have yet to receive my instructions?

Comeback time? Maybe?
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sonicfan12p wrote:

I have yet to receive my instructions?

I thinks that makethebrainhappy is your tutor.
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Standard Management Course - Delegation Scenario #1
You are the manager of a small mixed roles team in a large game collaboration. You have been asked by the Leader of the collaboration to complete a task. You must break the task up and delegate it to your team. You cannot complete any work yourself as you are already involved with a part of the project. The task
"Please create the draft of a new mini project we are making; it is a simple platform game. It needs a menu and scrolling sensor/engine. Just build the base of it and other teams can build on it. Also, we need some background music and please program the AI of a few different enemies. Graphics should be vector and look professional. Thanks."
Here are the members of your team:

Shadow Sword
A very skilled programmer with lots of experience but cannot do too much as Shadow Sword is already working on another project. Shadow mentioned that they could spare some time but not that much.

Musico
A composer who is able to write many different types of music. Has enough time to compose two songs before the deadline as Musico as lots of time available.

Paul23
A general programmer with little experience however has made any simple games. Paul23 has lots of spare time on his hands.

Byte
A graphic artist who is great with pixel art. For your last project (a classic RPG), Byte made excellent pixel characters. Byte said he could try and make vector characters although Byte has had very little experience with vector.

You must write down what tasks you would give to who, why (in detail) and anything you might say to your Chief. Don not worry about the deadline. This will count towards your course criteria if you respond successfully. Please post on the 11th September at 20:00 to 22:00 British Time but no sooner. Good luck!

-Co49

Last edited by Co49 (Nov. 3, 2015 15:54:49)

Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

Co49 wrote:

Uh, he only did one assignment.

Oh yeah, sorry. I'll find the programming criteria.
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Standard Programming Course - Lesson 1 - Organisation

One of the most important things in coding, especially in a collaboration, is organisation. This will not only make it easier for your fellow collaborators, but also for yourself understanding your code and making it easier to access scripts.

Comments

Comments are a very handy way of grouping scripts or reminding yourself what each script does. They can be used to set notes for what each sprite will do, and also explaining to others what your scripts do. Leave comments wherever you had to spend time to get something to work right; this way, if a project breaks, you can refer back to what worked before. Anyone with enough experience should be able to understand your script at first glance.

Condensation

It is very important to condense scripts into as little code as possible. You can do this by using lists and custom blocks instead of ‘if’ loops with multiple conditions. Usually, over three or four if loops conditions is enough. This will also reduce slowness in your projects and make them easier to handle for yourself and others. http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Improving_Scripts is a useful example. The best way to prevent silly mistakes is to have neat, organized code. Order scripts by their functions or order of evaluation will help find mistakes and prevent them.

Not Copying

Do not blindly copy scripts from other projects, unless that was the intention of the project. Other than moral copytheft issues, chances are the script will not work in the context of your program. The backpack was not meant for this purpose!

Your task

Your task is to make a simple project which takes the input of a username, and if it begins with a vowel, number, consonant or other, it states so. If you need more info, just ask.
makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Programming Lesson 2- Account vs. Remixing

Many Collaborations are interested in having everyone work together on a project and have each person contribute a part to the project. A collaboration account may sound like a good compromise at first but collaboration accounts are discouraged by the scratch team for various reasons including the fact that the methods used to pass the collaboration account passcode are extremely unsafe. Be prepared to get alerts if you share a passcode! The Collaboration Accounts can be used to brand your final project but this has really nothing to do with programming. This would only ever work for a small two man operation that has ways of communicating outside of scratch. You may be able to pull it off with a group of friends.

Remixing may seem like a hassle but there are some things that make it easier. While it seems that the first downside is that only one person can be working on it at a time they can also be working on putting together pieces that other people made such as sprites, menus, and scripts. This allows for people to be working on many different things at once but you'll need someone to put it together. You can also make all the parts first separate and put it all together at the very end.

Now Lets get the programming!
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also for the final project you can download then upload so the project does not show as a remix.
WarmChoco
Scratcher
18 posts

Can i do the Standard Music ?
RickCall12
Scratcher
100+ posts

HarryB178 wrote:

Your task

Your task is to make a simple project which takes the input of a username, and if it begins with a vowel, number, consonant or other, it states so. If you need more info, just ask.
What do you mean? Make a program that requires you to input a name and then it says the first character?
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Gaming Lesson 1 - Types of Games

Games are by far the most exciting part of Scratch, and are great fun to collaborate on! But the problem is - what type of game shall you make?

I see many collaboration posts which are like ‘Hey, can we collab to make a 3D multiplayer space game?’ This is nigh impossible on Scratch. There are many types of game you can make. Here are the main types that mean you can tell the difference between them.

Platformer These are pretty common on Scratch, and there is usually one made by a famous Scratcher in ‘What the Community is Loving’. They involve ‘platforms’ which a character can jump on and usually lava or enemies to avoid, and an exit to get to.

Strategy These games are not so common on Scratch due to their complexity and finding it tough to make AI. They are either real-time or turn based. They involve thinking to outwit an opponent.

Puzzle These games are fairly common, and self explanatory. You have a puzzle and you have to solve it.

RPG These games are big and usually have a storyline or plot. They are pretty difficult to make on Scratch, though some have been done.

Arcade These games are usually pretty simple and designed for casual play, and usually have retro graphics.

Tycoon These games are quite slow and involve trying to make more money by investing in items. There are a few on Scratch.

Other These games fit into no specific genre, and are just games. There are many of these on Scratch.

Your task is to find and categorise 5 games!
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RickCall12 wrote:

HarryB178 wrote:

Your task

What do you mean? Make a program that requires you to input a name and then it says the first character?
Here:
It says
say [Your first character of your username is a (whatever it is)]

Use the username block or an input.

(username)

ask [What's your name?] and wait
(answer)