Discuss Scratch

Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Stop Saying "x can be confusing to New Scratchers" to warrant a "No Support"

Support, for several reasons.
1. We were all New Scratchers once.
2. How did New Scratchers learn? By using the block in different situations, or asking someone for help. By no supporting a suggestion, you are possibly taking away a form of learning if the ST doesn't implement it.
3. There is no 3.
pvz_pro
Scratcher
500+ posts

no, what if someone suggested something like this:
go to x:() y:() in () secs while drawing a [] pokemon::motion

if you are reading this, ok
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

pvz_pro wrote:

no, what if someone suggested something like this:
go to x:() y:() in () secs while drawing a [] pokemon::motion
Then it probably wouldn't be added because it's much too specific, if you absolutely need that block, you can make a custom block.
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can I add this idea to this thread?

Sigton

The4thPixel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cream_E_Cookie wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

No support. There is a huge difference between complex projects (ex griffpatch's projects) and a complex block/idea. To analyze why, let's compare an elementary-level novel and a really complicated word, such as discombobulate. (I'm sure at least half of the people reading this looked at the word and had no clue what it meant.) To an elementary student, both may seem complicated. The novel because it's got lots of words, but because it is an elementary-level novel, all of the words are going to be simple words that are easy to understand. This is just like a complex project on Scratch; it has a lot of blocks, but the blocks are easy to understand because they're worded in ways that are easy to understand and represent basic/necessary functions in programming. A big word, like discombobulate, would seem complicated because… well, it's a big, complicated word. Few, if any at all, elementary students would know what discombobulate means. Even after reading the definition, the word might still seem complicated. This is comparable to a complicated block, such as a split block or elseif/elif block. A new scratcher would not know what it does due to the block's complexity and, unlike a project, the scratcher cannot read the code to figure out what it does. Even after looking at the definition, it would still be hard to understand.

IronBit_Studios wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

TheMonsterOfTheDeep wrote:

I see where you're going with this - just because something *can* be confusing to those new to programming, it doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate suggestion, because we already have a lot of things that those newer to programming wouldn't understand.

I know, for one, that when I was new to Scratch, I had no idea what lists were, what the different string functions did, or what any of the fancy math things (including absolute value) did. Despite the fact that these functions aren't all that easy to understand, we have them because otherwise things would be very difficult.

And I agree that a suggestion shouldn't necessarily be rejected because it is complicated. However, some should; 3D, for example, is rejected because of how complicated it is.

Suggestions should be judged on an individual basis; if a suggestion is a little complicated but has a lot of merit (such as reporter custom blocks) than saying it is complicated isn't really a good enough reason to not support it. But some suggestions that are complicated and don't have too much use should be considered more carefully, because Scratch is an entry-level programming language.
This is a really nice summary of our design philosophy for Scratch! You can see more about it over here. So, yes, people should not reject a suggestion just because it can be “too confusing for beginners” but because it doesn't bring enough new functionality to justify the added complexity. Everything is a balancing act
I completely agree.
Hello

Please don't quote someone else without adding your own opinions to the discussion. Thanks!
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

^^

Check your timnestamp first. Those are posts from way back when “Clicky That Sticky” was a thing.

To give you a run down that was back when absolutely no one read the stickies. So a lot of Scratchers worked towards a way of getting them to click them. Not an issue now though .-.

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
dinogirl112
Scratcher
78 posts

No support. This could be confusing to New Scratchers.
JK, support.

(Foo)
Meet Foo. She is my trained attack kumquat block that will find and destroy any evil kumquats.

;
monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dinogirl112 wrote:

No support. This could be confusing to New Scratchers.
JK, support.
Please don't necropost if you're not going to add anything.

(Swallowed by an evil kumquat who was just taking a walk in the neighborhood of evil kumquats when they saw a garage sale where they bought a plate which they used to eat but they discovered that it leaked and they went to get their money back but the sale was over so they went in the house but the door was locked so they got their key but it didn't fit so they went home to use the key on the right door which was their own door and then they decided to swallow a signature for no reason.)
DerpyHead0
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why not make an advanced section?
or a toggle for advanced blocks?

definitely support

when I start as a clone
delete this clone
the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support.

Why don't we make these blocks then?
play sound [lol v] from (3).(7)(2)until done::sound

point away from [sprite v]::motion

when stop sign clicked::events
I still do stand by my old self though.

I wrote:

Wow. I supported a long time ago. I don't support that much. I'll semi-support. I think that this should be discouraged if there is no reason for being confuzzling. Also, too vague is a fine reason to not support (temporarily)

JDScratch7
Scratcher
100+ posts

LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. Disagreeing with a topic isn't rude unless it's meant to offend someone directly or deliberately. And the topic being too confusing to some people is actually a valid reason.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

No support. Disagreeing with a topic isn't rude unless it's meant to offend someone directly or deliberately. And the topic being too confusing to some people is actually a valid reason.
You haven't actually addressed any of the points made in this topic other than stating the inverse of it's general argument.

Sigton

Smurphy13AWESOME
Scratcher
500+ posts

No support. We need to accept all Scratchers and not discriminate by experience. You need to make Scratch an easy to learn site. If we allow this to happen then Scratch will get more complicated and almost impossible to learn.
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

You haven't actually addressed any of the points made in this topic other than stating the inverse of it's general argument.

Sigton
..Then I suppose I don't understand the main points of the topic?

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

That is possible, yes

Sigton

LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

That is possible, yes

Sigton
Oh.

FancyFoxy
Scratcher
500+ posts

I support! When I first joined Scratch, I was really confused why there were reporter blocks and boolean blocks. I didn't know how they went into a project, and was confused as to why they even exist if they don't snap to the bottom of another block. But reporters and booleans are extremely important to even a basic game. We shouldn't shoot down really good and important ideas just for the sake of a Scratcher not understanding.

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. THIS MEANS IT IS AN AUTOMATIC MESSAGE THAT APPEARS AT THE BOTTOM OF ALL MY POSTS.
Hi! I'm FancyFoxy! I create animations and games that were never, EVER meant to be taken seriously.
FancyFoxy Heroes and #Thanksgiving are some of my latest projects, check them out!
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FancyFoxy wrote:

I support! When I first joined Scratch, I was really confused why there were reporter blocks and boolean blocks. I didn't know how they went into a project, and was confused as to why they even exist if they don't snap to the bottom of another block. But reporters and booleans are extremely important to even a basic game. We shouldn't shoot down really good and important ideas just for the sake of a Scratcher not understanding.
Those are still pretty easy to learn compared to things like 3D Scratch. See, the reason 3D Scratch was rejected is because
1: It's way too complicated and Scratch was made to be as easy as possible for people to learn to code.
2: It technically already exists in a more advanced program.

But if it's something that can be complicated but still relatively easy to learn, like reporter/boolean/sensing/etc. blocks, then those shouldn't be “too complicated”. I mean, I'm still a little confused as to how they work (as anyone would be) but if it's something that's incredibly complicated like 3D Scratch.. no. Scratch was actually made to be easy as possible to code (which is true compared to Python..)

Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. If a block is complicated, then don't even use it. The first time I went here, these were some blocks I didn't even understand:

pen up

pen down

(() mod ())

play drum ( v) for (0.25) beats

And if these blocks were actually suggested by users, what would one of their replies be? “No Support, too confusing for New Scratchers”.

I know this isn't like Python or Java or C++ coding, but please understand that a block doesn't have to always be understandable.

A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!