-0Nebula0-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Stop Saying "x can be confusing to New Scratchers" to warrant a "No Support"

Scratchperson1000000 wrote:

-0Nebula0- wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

oh yeah! let's just randomly put the square root and fractions and algebra into scratch!
(sqrt () :: operators)
(() / () [+ v] () / () :: operators )
([x v] [+ v] [y v] :: operators)
we definitely don't care if it can be confusing!
Square root is already in Scratch though? And fractions aren't confusing; they're like first grade math, and they're also in Scratch using the division block? And I guess you could write some code to solve some basic middle school algebraic equations…
^ pretty much. When I saw the OG post, I was confused, because we already HAVE a sqrt block ^
I don't remember square root being added into Scratch
([sqrt v] of (9))
Futurebot5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oh yeah! let's just randomly put the square root and fractions and algebra into scratch!

NO SUPPORT
we can't just randomly put blocks that can be confusing. you cant rename
move (10) steps
to
scroll (10) pixels :: motion
or rename
stamp
to
giant mark :: pen
(text removed by owner of the message - don't assume blocks are that block)
no support, what if we renamed “if <> then” to “when <> is true” if new scratchers don't even know what true means in scratch
For your first argument, we already have the
([ v] of (9))
block
For your second, how is scroll 10 pixels and giant mark confusing?
For your third, how in the world would an 8 year old using Scratch not know what true means?

So…hello, ou bonjour, o hola, o ciao, oder hallo.

the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Futurebot5 wrote:

how in the world would an 8 year old using Scratch not know what true means?
Didn't mention this in my first response, but I agree with it too. If someone is using Scratch, doesn't know what true means, and can't figure it out, then I think they're either far too young to use Scratch or they have more things to worry about than being unable to learn computer programming.

Ihatr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NO SUPPORT
we can't just randomly put blocks that can be confusing. you cant rename
move (10) steps
to
scroll (10) pixels :: motion
or rename
stamp
to
giant mark :: pen
(text removed by owner of the message - don't assume blocks are that block)
no support, what if we renamed “if <> then” to “when <> is true” if new scratchers don't even know what true means in scratch
They don't have to use the blocks if they don't know what they mean! Scratch is meant to have a high ceiling

this is a link
ThatExplosivePigeon
Scratcher
100+ posts

Exactly. It would be also like if the for loop was shot down because some scratchers don't know what it is. Im genuinly angry at the amount of suggestions shot down for this reason and the people who do such things. I really hope this suggestion get through and people are reminded that scratch has a high ceiling.

ThatExplosivePigeon

Proud owner of 3 letter account @7lq!

Going back into the forums…… Here we go again.

Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ihatr wrote:

They don't have to use the blocks if they don't know what they mean! Scratch is meant to have a high ceiling
High ceiling doesn't mean it has to provide advanced features. It means it needs to be possible to make advanced projects with the features that exist. Increasing limits such as the 5 MB project.json limit is a better way to make the ceiling higher than adding new features.

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maximouse wrote:

Ihatr wrote:

High ceiling doesn't mean it has to provide advanced features. It means it needs to be possible to make advanced projects with the features that exist. Increasing limits such as the 5 MB project.json limit is a better way to make the ceiling higher than adding new features.
Disagree. It's important, but it's really really really really not the only problem. Raising the project limit won't do anything to negate the glaring absence of such simple features as "letters () to () of [string]". I know that this might sound like me bringing up a random suggestion that I personally agree with just to complain about how it hasn't been added yet, but that sounds like what your reply is too

Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

the2000 wrote:

Maximouse wrote:

Ihatr wrote:

Disagree. It's important, but it's really really really really not the only problem. Raising the project limit won't do anything to negate the glaring absence of such simple features as "letters () to () of [string]". I know that this might sound like me bringing up a random suggestion that I personally agree with just to complain about how it hasn't been added yet, but that sounds like what your reply is too
letters () to () of (string) isn't an advanced feature, and it isn't confusing either. I think that if a feature is hard to understand and doesn't add new capabilities to Scratch, then it shouldn't be added.

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
ThatExplosivePigeon
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ironically, the scroll 10 block was a real block used to make rpgs and other thigs where you need a sscrolling backdrop. And tbh, square roots and algerbra blocks would actually be useful.

ThatExplosivePigeon

ThatExplosivePigeon
Scratcher
100+ posts

(Removed by owner of message)

Last edited by ThatExplosivePigeon (Feb. 27, 2021 16:38:57)

ThatExplosivePigeon

the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maximouse wrote:

the2000 wrote:

-snip-
letters () to () of (string) isn't an advanced feature, and it isn't confusing either. I think that if a feature is hard to understand and doesn't add new capabilities to Scratch, then it shouldn't be added.
That's not really what you said in the original post…

Maximouse wrote:

Increasing limits such as the 5 MB project.json limit is a better way to make the ceiling higher than adding new features.
Not "new advanced features“, just ”new features" period.

And I definitely disagree with that statement; you won't spot a difference in results between giving me five minutes to pick up a bowling ball with chopsticks and giving me ten. Increasing the amount of time (space) I have won't make nearly as big of a difference as letting me just use my hands (better blocks for certain tasks).

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

the2000 wrote:

And I definitely disagree with that statement; you won't spot a difference in results between giving me five minutes to pick up a bowling ball with chopsticks and giving me ten. Increasing the amount of time (space) I have won't make nearly as big of a difference as letting me just use my hands (better blocks for certain tasks).
Bad analogy. I think a better one is giving you some rope, pulleys, gears, wood, and nails and telling you to pick up the bowling ball that way. It would definitely be easier to just give you a forklift but given enough time I'd expect you to make something capable of picking up the ball.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

the2000 wrote:

Bad analogy. I think a better one is giving you some rope, pulleys, gears, wood, and nails and telling you to pick up the bowling ball that way. It would definitely be easier to just give you a forklift but given enough time I'd expect you to make something capable of picking up the ball.
I feel like a problem is that neither of these examples acknowledge performance in any way. You can work around the absence of the "letters () to () of [string]" reporter, but it's clunky and leads to a crap-ton of unnecessary slowdown.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

the2000 wrote:

I feel like a problem is that neither of these examples acknowledge performance in any way. You can work around the absence of the "letters () to () of [string]" reporter, but it's clunky and leads to a crap-ton of unnecessary slowdown.
I wasn't arguing against that block, I too would like it in Scratch, that was just more of a general response to advanced features like OOP and first-class stuff.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

the2000 wrote:

I wasn't arguing against that block, I too would like it in Scratch, that was just more of a general response to advanced features like OOP and first-class stuff.
Okay yeah, I do agree that there is an upper limit. The problem I have with “too confusing for New Scratchers” isn't the idea of an upper limit at all, it's that it implies that said upper limit is anything that a very young child can't figure out immediately. In hindsight, I think we got a little side-tracked in this conversation

Last edited by the2000 (Feb. 27, 2021 17:47:55)

Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

We also have to remember that not everyone on Scratch is 8; the average age of a new Scratcher is 16, and the mode is 12.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

We also have to remember that not everyone on Scratch is 8; the average age of a new Scratcher is 16, and the mode is 12.
What mode?

Last edited by Rendangbike2 (March 18, 2021 11:53:18)

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

What?
What is there to not understand? The average age of a new Scratcher according to Scratch Statistics is 16.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

What?
What is there to not understand? The average age of a new Scratcher according to Scratch Statistics is 16.
I think it's 12