Discuss Scratch

kittycats2
Scratcher
3 posts

Report cloud data glitches here

say []I NEED HELLP! none of my prjets are looding can you hellp

Last edited by kittycats2 (Dec. 14, 2016 14:21:28)

kuttappy705
Scratcher
100+ posts

kittycats2 wrote:

say []I NEED HELLP! none of my prjets are looding can you hellp
thats just the connection

This was kuttappy705, other known as Nizwiz, signing off for now. Check me out!

;

;

;
kuttappy705
Scratcher
100+ posts

Sometimes my cloud variables act like variables, but once I try using it to be cloud, it doesn't work sometimes. I think if it's going smooth, clouds fine, but if not, it wont work. I need to confirm this. Am I correct?

This was kuttappy705, other known as Nizwiz, signing off for now. Check me out!

;

;

;
OMYGAWDITSOCUTE
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud data does not work. At all.
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My Cloud Data is bugging out a little bit. I have a High Score script:
when green flag clicked
forever
if <(Score) > (☁ High Score)> then
set [☁ High Score v] to (Score)
end
end
in my game Gear Collector (link in my signature), but it keeps setting the High Score variable to 16. 16 just so happens to be the same high score another user got, but when I destroyed that High Score, it reset to 16 (only to convert back a frame later), but I restart the game and what do you know?
The High Score was 16.

Why would this be happening?

AwesomeStuffTV
Scratcher
8 posts

pick random (333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333(☁ score)) to (10))
Foxy112345
Scratcher
100+ posts

I made a Project called “Save the W0lves”. (It is unshared now btw) So basically, there was a Wolf picture. There was a cloud data thing. The cloud data thing was called “Howls” When you clicked the Wolf picture, “Howls” was supposed to go up by 1. Instead, when I clicked the Wolf picture, “Howls” went up by 1, but then a second later, went down by 1 again! Why did “Howls” go DOWN again? I only scripted it to go up! The number there was 100, and I've seen projects with Cloud Data that goes up past 1,000, and they work PERFECTLY! Was it something to do with the name? Also, I refreshed, and each time I refreshed, it got worse! For example; the first time I refreshed, when I got back, the Wolf picture had gone blurry. The NEXT time I refreshed, the cloud data went down by 2 every time, instead! I have no idea what is happening!! Doesn't Scratch want us to Save The Wolves?!

i left lol
Foxy112345
Scratcher
100+ posts

WolfCat67 wrote:

My Cloud Data is bugging out a little bit. I have a High Score script:
when green flag clicked
forever
if <(Score) > (☁ High Score)> then
set [☁ High Score v] to (Score)
end
end
in my game Gear Collector (link in my signature), but it keeps setting the High Score variable to 16. 16 just so happens to be the same high score another user got, but when I destroyed that High Score, it reset to 16 (only to convert back a frame later), but I restart the game and what do you know?
The High Score was 16.

Why would this be happening?

I think this is happening because your computer cannot hold so much memory or Data. Or maybe the other user got the score, and maybe the other user tweaked around in your project somehow. I'm not really sure but I think maybe you need to start all over again, or just delete even having a High Score at all!

i left lol
Foxy112345
Scratcher
100+ posts

AwesomeStuffTV wrote:

pick random (333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333(☁ score)) to (10))

So you want the game to pick a random number from inside that? I don't think numbers even go up that high.

i left lol
TheLogFather
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Foxy112345 wrote:

…“Howls” went up by 1, but then a second later, went down by 1 again…
This is what happens when a project is connected to cloud with fallback mode, but you have subsequently opened another instance of the project elsewhere as the same user.

When you open a second instance of the project, it is THAT instance which now has a proper, two-way connection to the cloud server. If the project was already open anywhere else (under the same user) then those opened instances can no longer send changes to the cloud server. (Only the last one to be opened can send changes.)

However, if a project is connected in fallback mode (which all projects are using right now), the project continues to receive the latest value from the cloud. That means when your project changes the variable, it will stay changed for itself *until* it gets the latest value again from cloud (and the value in the cloud did not increase because the change was never sent to cloud).

It's a rather annoying little feature of fallback mode, unfortunately. However, it's arguably slightly better than the fast port 531 connection, which can never tell at all if it has been disconnected from cloud (since it will see its own changes perfectly fine, but will never get anything back from the cloud server, so can't tell that its own changes never made it to cloud…)

Last edited by TheLogFather (Jan. 5, 2017 16:23:23)

Siggy the Kumquat slayer:
Main account: DadOfMrLog –– Frameworks for basic pen-rendered 3D in scratch (see studio). Examples:

- - - - 3D Text - - - - - - Simple shapes - - - Controllable structures - - - On the ground - - - - - - In space - - - -

Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

TheLogFather wrote:

However, if a project is connected in fallback mode (which all projects are using right now), the project continues to receive the latest value from the cloud. That means when your project changes the variable, it will stay changed for itself *until* it gets the latest value again from cloud (and the value in the cloud did not increase because the change was never sent to cloud).

So, if I'm understanding this right, reaction-based online games are just straight up dead now? Or is there some way to force a cloud variable to update?
A card game, for example, where it's turn based and I have to see what the other person is doing and when they end their turn, would that not work anymore?
Has scratch mentioned anything about their plans for cloud variables in the future?

I can elaborate on the card game I am currently working on and post some scripts if needed, but I'm not sure if that would help.
TheLogFather
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Apfellord wrote:

TheLogFather wrote:

So, if I'm understanding this right, reaction-based online games are just straight up dead now? Or is there some way to force a cloud variable to update?
If the project is the latest one to load (from a particular account) then its changes get sent to the server no problem, and it should receive the latest value back the next time it gets the cloud values.

It's only if you load the project again elsewhere that the old tab(s) containing the project will no longer be able to change cloudvars. (Actually, it can also happen if you leave a project untouched for some time – so, for example, if you're not on that tab for half an hour or so. Then the project can lose its cloud connection. However, it's possible that only happens if the browser switches off processing of that tab – like “app nap” on Macs – haven't tested that for sure.)

As for the question about “reaction-based” games being dead, then it depends exactly what you mean by ‘reaction-based’…

Certainly, a near-real-time multiplayer game is practically impossible at the moment. The time between updates in fallback mode is nearly two seconds, so that means a typical delay of about that long before other users would see your moves – that's kinda far too long, really.

However, there's an even worse issue with fallback that makes it completely unusable, even if you did create a multiplayer game which didn't mind so much having such a long a long delay…
The problem is that you have to leave a gap of well over a second between changing any cloudvars in a project, otherwise it won't see ANY updates from anyone else (see demo project). This is a real killer for any cloud-based project that is regularly changing its cloudvars.

The only type of cloud-based projects which are practical at the moment are those which change their cloudvars only very occasionally, and don't expect to see remote changes within a couple of seconds.

Examples of such projects would be something that just keeps a high-score, or high-score table, which only gets updated when a new high-score is added. Or a slow turn-based game where each player would wait for the previous player to take a turn – which may be the kind of thing you're thinking of for this card game…?

Has scratch mentioned anything about their plans for cloud variables in the future?
Yes (as you've noticed).

Last edited by TheLogFather (Jan. 5, 2017 20:47:23)

Siggy the Kumquat slayer:
Main account: DadOfMrLog –– Frameworks for basic pen-rendered 3D in scratch (see studio). Examples:

- - - - 3D Text - - - - - - Simple shapes - - - Controllable structures - - - On the ground - - - - - - In space - - - -

JonathanSchaffer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0, Flash 21.0 (release 0)
I cannot change any cloud data, even if I have not even looked inside (this happens on every single project.)

club penguin is kil
JonathanSchaffer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

JonathanSchaffer wrote:

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0, Flash 21.0 (release 0)
I cannot change any cloud data, even if I have not even looked inside (this happens on every single project.)
nevermind.

club penguin is kil
scratch-robot
Scratcher
52 posts

turn ccw () degrees
dab

Don't advertise except in Show and Tell! If you agree, this studio is promoting anti-advertising. (Look below, because I can't post links in this.)  Save the honeybees! Did you eat any fruit today? *cough* Pollinators *cough* | Quote Of The Week: "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein 
Don't advertise on Scratch (studio)
scratch-robot
Scratcher
52 posts

woah...
that
really
worked?
*mind
blown*

Don't advertise except in Show and Tell! If you agree, this studio is promoting anti-advertising. (Look below, because I can't post links in this.)  Save the honeybees! Did you eat any fruit today? *cough* Pollinators *cough* | Quote Of The Week: "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein 
Don't advertise on Scratch (studio)
agarraga
Scratcher
500+ posts

scratch-robot wrote:

woah...
that
really
worked?
*mind
blown*
Do not block spam
saodtheking
Scratcher
100+ posts

I noticed that my multiplayer projects no longer work!
before I could play and test my multiplayer games but now it saves the last state of the project when I join on another device!
so now the online saving cloud data is a little bit messed up!

Despicable_Dad
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm having a problem connecting with the cloud data server. It started about 10 minutes ago.

I can *create* a cloud variable in a new project, and I seem to be able to update its value (though this might only be local for all I know.)
But can't fully open a project which already has one. I just get the cloud data info message (which pops up repeatedly over the script area) and the stage is obscured by the connecting message. This applies to newly created projects and old ones and new remixes.

EDIT:
Still the same nearly 8 hours later. Is it just me?

Last edited by Despicable_Dad (Jan. 11, 2017 09:25:45)

I'm a Scratch Wiki contributor, and always keen to know which bits of the wiki are unclear. If I can, I'll try to improve things; otherwise, I'll make sure it's brought to the attention of someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
if <not <touching color [#3d4fe4] ?>> then
return true anyway cos computers are vague, innit
change [scratchFoibles v] by (1)
end
if <[a] = [A]> then
think [What???]
change [scratchFoibles v] by (1)
end

jaconah
Scratcher
2 posts

Despicable_Dad wrote:

I'm having a problem connecting with the cloud data server. It started about 10 minutes ago.

I can *create* a cloud variable in a new project, and I seem to be able to update its value (though this might only be local for all I know.)
But can't fully open a project which already has one. I just get the cloud data info message (which pops up repeatedly over the script area) and the stage is obscured by the connecting message. This applies to newly created projects and old ones and new remixes.

EDIT:
Still the same nearly 8 hours later. Is it just me?

Sadly i am having the exact same issues as you and its driving me nuts since i need to finish an assignment for school and my project has cloud variables in it