Discuss Scratch

phabletcrunch
Scratcher
27 posts

The Scratch Cat's Hideout: Change of plan: I'm renovating this thread. Click inside for details.

I'd like to join.

EASY PEEZEY LEMON SQEEZAY!
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

The Scratch Cat's Hideout: Change of plan: I'm renovating this thread. Click inside for details.

Updated within an hour!
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

sonicfan12p wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

A separate review centre would make things confusing for other Scratchers, as the whole idea of this thread is to have everything on show and tell organised into one place.

Also, what's your feedback on this:
Maybe we need to expand on how useful the “worth mentioning” section is, by focusing on scratchers rather than things. For example, we could use it for birthday mentions and public messages like in a newspaper!
I see what you're saying, but this thread is already crowded with many things. The reviews, members, galleries, everything has its own separate post. A very long post. Some people prefer to just have the info they need on the first post. I do like that you linked to the other posts from everywhere, that is good, but some people like to have things separated. One last thing…This thread's name. It is very informative, but also cluttered. I know what you're thinking, with the purpose of this thread and all, why would we separate it, but it may be for the better. Maybe. It could go badly, I don't know, but if it does, we can always just let the other thread go away, and focus on this one again.

About your idea, I do like it. Scratchers are more worth mentioning than projects sometimes, so that would be a good change.

Let's try the simpler title, but keep everything on one thread. Maybe we're just doing too many things? Maybe I should simplify the project advertising system. So instead of having hundreds of projects, we could just have the top rated ones. Every time a project is added to the galleries, we review it and it may or may not end up in the public listing.
sonicfan12p
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Borrego6165 wrote:

sonicfan12p wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

A separate review centre would make things confusing for other Scratchers, as the whole idea of this thread is to have everything on show and tell organised into one place.

Also, what's your feedback on this:
Maybe we need to expand on how useful the “worth mentioning” section is, by focusing on scratchers rather than things. For example, we could use it for birthday mentions and public messages like in a newspaper!
I see what you're saying, but this thread is already crowded with many things. The reviews, members, galleries, everything has its own separate post. A very long post. Some people prefer to just have the info they need on the first post. I do like that you linked to the other posts from everywhere, that is good, but some people like to have things separated. One last thing…This thread's name. It is very informative, but also cluttered. I know what you're thinking, with the purpose of this thread and all, why would we separate it, but it may be for the better. Maybe. It could go badly, I don't know, but if it does, we can always just let the other thread go away, and focus on this one again.

About your idea, I do like it. Scratchers are more worth mentioning than projects sometimes, so that would be a good change.

Let's try the simpler title, but keep everything on one thread. Maybe we're just doing too many things? Maybe I should simplify the project advertising system. So instead of having hundreds of projects, we could just have the top rated ones. Every time a project is added to the galleries, we review it and it may or may not end up in the public listing.
Alright, good plan!

Comeback time? Maybe?
LoopyS
Scratcher
100+ posts

Borrego6165 wrote:

For the signature, I've got the new one down here encase anyone wants to try it out! +25 points for members with this signature!

Have you put the code for it somewhere, like on the homepage? You can use the
 [code] [/code] 
tags so we just have to copy and paste it into our signatures. Also, I was thinking, your signature is good, but maybe something less invasive? Because I want to advertise my own stuff, too.
Maybe you could put just one picture with everything. Like maybe…

It can link to a post with the featured project (worth mentioning?) and can change every week. So Scratchers come here every week to get the new code, and can check out the rest of the Hideout while they're here. It could get a bit annoying changing the code every week, though.

Also, I like the idea of the worth mentioning section becoming more newspaper like. Maybe it could have:

• A featured Member
  • A featured Project
  • Birthdays and Special Events
  • Other News About the Thread

Awaiting feedback…

___________________LoopyS__________________
————| Profile | Website | A Tiny Tweak… |————
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

LoopyS wrote:

[code] [/code] 
tags so we just have to copy and paste it into our signatures. Also, I was thinking, your signature is good, but maybe something less invasive? Because I want to advertise my own stuff, too.

It can link to a post with the featured project (worth mentioning?) and can change every week. So Scratchers come here every week to get the new code, and can check out the rest of the Hideout while they're here. It could get a bit annoying changing the code every week, though.

I won't bother with the featured project idea thing, as I don't want the signature to be cluttered. And it's worth 25 points because it takes so much room. Look at the size of the signature on the other thread!

LoopyS wrote:

Also, I like the idea of the worth mentioning section becoming more newspaper like. Maybe it could have:

• A featured Member
  • A featured Project

Awaiting feedback…

Maybe we convert to “The Scratch Cat Times” and have the whole thread converted to a newspaper, and each post can be a page?
phabletcrunch
Scratcher
27 posts

Borrego6165 wrote:

Maybe we convert to “The Scratch Cat Times” and have the whole thread converted to a newspaper, and each post can be a page?

I don't really like this idea… but that's my opinion.

LoopyS
Scratcher
100+ posts

Borrego6165 wrote:

No, this is an advertising thread and it should stay that way.

jh1234l
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maybe we can add a way to review other projects, like art.

My recommendation:

Specification For Art- Scroll down, quote this, and remove the other bits to keep the formatting

Project name

“DESCRIPTION”

Effort /10
“”How much effort was used in this project? Were there good designs, colour choice, and adequate detail? Does it contain any aspects that you can learn from when you make an art project?

Originality /10
“”Was this project original? Did it feature a special idea, or did the project contain things that is in almost every other project? Please note that just because it is a line art of a cat does not make it unoriginal. Did the project creator express an unoriginal idea in an original and unique way?

Innovation /5
“”Did the project creator do anything special when conveying this project? Does the project use something that other similar projects don't have, like pen rendering for the pictures or scripts that allow the art to change dynamically?

Sound choice /5
“”Does the art project have fitting music? For example, a light, bouncy soundtrack would be good for a piece of art that is a line art of fluffy kittens, but it will not be good for a creepy Halloween-themed drawing. If there are scripts to make the art do things and animate, does that make good sound effects?

Message/theme /10
“”Does the art convey a message or have a single theme to it, or is it a bunch of random sprites? For example, creating a drawing with pencils and a backpack has a theme- school, but a bunch of scribbles (that is not made in a way to make it abstract art) does not have a theme. A drawing about bullying conveys a message and has a theme, but a picture of a basketball and a upside-down apple does not have a message or a theme. The art project should either have a theme or a message, or even better, both.

Firing round: /10
Quality /2
0 (jagged lines, signs of resizing, poor colouring, appears rushed) 1 (decent quality) 2 (excellent quality)
Idea /2
0 (unoriginal idea) 1 (creator has made an effort to make an original idea / make an unoriginal idea more unique) 2 (creator has made an original idea / expressed an unoriginal idea in an unique and creative way)
Clutter and simplicity /2
0 (too simple or too cluttered) 1 (decent) 2 (just right for the project, not too simple or too cluttered)
Reuse value /2
0 (not good enough to reuse in a project) 1 (good enough if changes were made) 2 (good enough to reuse in a project)
Innovation /2
0 (not created in a way that makes it different) 1 (signs of innovation) 2 (innovative, with good scripting)

Overall experience /50
“”In this place talk about general points, repeat the important points, and give suggestions to improve.

TOTAL: /100

Key
0-19 Can improve many aspects.
20-39 Can improve some aspects.
40-59 An average project.
60-79 Quite a cool art project.
80-94 Wow! It only needs a bit of editing.
95-100 You're the top cat!

NOTE: Originality is the idea of the drawing, while innovation is the way the drawing is conveyed.

Two Advertising and sharing groups:
Scratch Cat's Hideout: Home Page / Advertise! / Members / Write A Review / Read A Review / FAQs
Scratching fame:

Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

Specification For Art- Scroll down, quote this, and remove the other bits to keep the formatting
#Credit to jh1234l for the art mark scheme

Project name

“DESCRIPTION”

Art Design /10
“”Were the designs good? Good colour choice? Does this contain many interesting things to look at?

Originality /10
“”Was this project original? Did it feature a special idea, or did the project contain things that is in almost every other project? Please note that just because it is a line art of a cat does not make it unoriginal. Did the project creator express an unoriginal idea in an original and unique way?

Innovation /10
“”Did the project creator do anything special when conveying this project? Does the project use something that other similar projects don't have, like pen rendering for the pictures or scripts that allow the art to change dynamically? Does it contain any aspects that you can learn from when you make an art project?

Sound choice /5
“”Does the art project have fitting music? For example, a light, bouncy soundtrack would be good for a piece of art that is a line art of fluffy kittens, but it will not be good for a creepy Halloween-themed drawing. If there are scripts to make the art do things and animate, does that make good sound effects?

Message/theme /10
“”Does the art convey a message or have a single theme to it, or is it a bunch of random sprites? For example, creating a drawing with pencils and a backpack has a theme- school, but a bunch of scribbles (that is not made in a way to make it abstract art) does not have a theme. A drawing about bullying conveys a message and has a theme, but a picture of a basketball and a upside-down apple does not have a message or a theme. The art project should either have a theme or a message, or even better, both.

Firing round: /5
Technical Quality /2
0 (jagged lines, signs of resizing) 1 (decent quality) 2 (excellent quality)
Clutter and simplicity /2
0 (too simple or too cluttered) 1 (decent) 2 (just right for the project, not too simple or too cluttered)
Reuse value /1
0 (not good enough to reuse in a project) 1 (good enough to reuse in a project)

Overall experience /50
“”This is your own personal, emotional response. How did it make you feel? Did any messages from the art make you want to do anything? For example, a drawing of a car may have been so good it inspired you to make a racing game, it doesn't necessarily have to be something moral based such as saving the planet.

TOTAL: /100

Key
0-19 Can improve almost most aspects.
20-39 Can improve many aspects.
40-59 An average art piece.
60-79 Quite a cool art piece.
80-94 Wow! It only needs a bit of editing.

Last edited by Borrego6165 (Oct. 25, 2013 07:26:43)

Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

LoopyS wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

No, this is an advertising thread and it should stay that way.

OK! I just thought I'd see how it sounded
LoopyS
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maybe we could change the worth mentioning section into “The Scratch Cat's Times”?

Here's a mock up…

The Scratch Cat's Times
Issue #0 - Updated Weekly

Featured Member

This week's featured member is Borrego6165.
He founded the Scratch Cat's Hideout!
Check out his profile HERE!

You could be the next featured member! Simply join The Scratch Cat's Hideout!
Featured Project

This week's featured project is The Scratch Cat's Hideout Tycoon!
It scored an amazing 87/100 when reviewed by Scratch Cat's Hideout members!
Check it out HERE!

The next featured project could be yours! Simply get your project reviewed by The Scratch Cat's Hideout!
Special Events

October 31 - Halloween!
??? - A contest??? - Member Exclusive!

You can participate in member exclusive events! Simply join The Scratch Cat's Hideout!
Other News

Thanks for reading this week's issue of Worth Mentioning!
Check back next week!

P.S. If you like this idea, link to this post from the main post and I can edit it every week.
P.P.S Maybe we could have contests for members???

Last edited by LoopyS (Oct. 25, 2013 11:48:20)

Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

It's OK, it's far better to have it on the front page so I just copied and pasted it.
bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LoopyS wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

For the signature, I've got the new one down here encase anyone wants to try it out! +25 points for members with this signature!

[code] [/code] 

• A featured Member
  • A featured Project

Awaiting feedback…

I like the signature, so now I have it.

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

bigpuppy wrote:

Wrong signature, sorry! See the members page for details (by clicking on my handy signature at the bottom of this post) unless you don't want the points Not sure if you noticed but LoopyS sneakily put their project as featured on the signature! That would be unfair to use their signature

Last edited by Borrego6165 (Oct. 25, 2013 15:19:45)

bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Borrego6165 wrote:

bigpuppy wrote:

Wrong signature, sorry! See the members page for details (by clicking on my handy signature at the bottom of this post) unless you don't want the points Not sure if you noticed but LoopyS sneakily put their project as featured on the signature! That would be unfair to use their signature
Okay, now can I get the points?

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I added 2 projects to art and animations.

Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

phabletcrunch
Scratcher
27 posts

…sorry for the random interruption, buuut….

|
|
|
v

phabletcrunch
Scratcher
27 posts

Enhanced OS 2

“Welcome to Enhanced OS 2! Here, you can have all the fun you could ever have! Just click the 2 in the bottom right corner.”

OS Design 5/10
Other than the logo, the style was ok. But i decided to continue anyways. Pressing the ‘2’ in the bottom right corner, i was greeted with Settings 2, Noter 2, and Headphone Music 2. Settings only had the ability to change the wallpaper (they were ok). Noter did however have something i haven't seen on an OS before: The ability to load files. Headphone Music was a music player with only two songs.

Originality 4/10
There wasn't really anything that original in this OS at all. So where did these 4 points come from? 2 come from the ability to load files in “Noter 2”, and 2 from the speakonia sounding voice that plays when you see the desktop for the first time, write a note, and load a note.

Ease Of Use 9/10
As surprising as it is, this gets a 9. It didn't even need instructions, just click anything and it'll do it. It even says to click the 2 in the bottom right corner in the instructions. But then why is it a 9? It doesn't tell you what Noter 2's ‘Files’ thing does, but it becomes self-explanitory.

Graphics 3/5
It looked decent, the backdrops were a butterfly on a leaf and 2 sunset pictures, which was ok. The logo looked nice, the icons were ok (other than headphones, that looks badly drawn) Other than that, it's just transparent white and grey text.

Sound 3/5
I, admittedly, really liked the chime at the beginning. The voice (mentioned earlier) was something new, the music player contained a song that i've heard way too much now, and a decent Kevin MacLeod song. But nothing more, hence the 3.

Firing Round 4/10 (This is the addition of the following scores)
Reliability 2/2
0 (Very Glitchy) 1 (A few glitches) 2 (Hardly any glitches)
Variety 0/2
0 (Little to do) 1 (Decent amount) 2 (Lots of things to do)
Lag 2/2
0 (Very slow) 1 (Decent in most places) 2 (No lag)
Replay Value 0/2
0 (Would never reuse/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might reuse) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 0/2
0 (Simple to make) 1 (Fairly advanced) 2 (It was very complex)

Overall Experience 13/50
Overall, i was actually pretty disappointed by this OS. There wasn't anything that original (other than Noter 2, stated before) and… i… just… flat-out didn't like it. My main suggestion is add more apps, that's the main reason the score isn't as good. The two original things stated before just make the score a little bit higher.

TOTAL: 41/100

Key
0-19 I could have made that in my sleep!
20-39 Needs a lot of work.

40-59 An average project I suppose.
60-79 Quite a cool project.
80-94 Wow! It only needs a bit of tweaking.