Discuss Scratch

MSPA
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

I used Scratch 1.4 editor once.
My elementary school friends didn't even know what Scratch was until I was allowed to use it during break in 5th grade.
I'm finally in 6th grade and unable to access Scratch since my school now is so strict on computer safety >:U

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

MSPA wrote:

I used Scratch 1.4 editor once.
My elementary school friends didn't even know what Scratch was until I was allowed to use it during break in 5th grade.
I'm finally in 6th grade and unable to access Scratch since my school now is so strict on computer safety >:U
Wow, you were lucky. Scratch Website was always blocked at my school and we always use 1.4.

bottom text
ealgase
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

We have 15 year old macs, and half of them don't have working batteries. WE NEED MORE FUNDING

ST should get the top ten users from Advanced Topics to code Scratch 3 instead of the project they created.
natemonster321
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

ealgase wrote:

We have 15 year old macs, and half of them don't have working batteries. WE NEED MORE FUNDING
I have a 6 yo MacBook (not pro), which I thought was old…

Steam: natemonster321
Youtube: TheUltimateMaleFan Can I haz Internets?~Can I haz huggles?
A kumquat ate my rainbow.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

ealgase wrote:

From 2000? What OS do they run?

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Okay this is long but don't worry, I'm quick at typing XD

The Attack of the XXXXXX
In our class

1… How XXXXXX came to be.

At my teacher's old school, they did XXXXXX. It caused their entire school to do it, and the kids were giving reviews about it like…

OMG XXXXXX is SOOOOO FUN!! EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL IN AUSTRALIA SHOULD DO IT M8!!! 11/10 IGN
~ An Example

Last year, my current teacher left her old school to go to our school (enter scary music here). Anyway, it became 2015, and at the second week of our First Term (last week), our teacher started doing it .

2… Why is XXXXXX so bad?

CatsUnited wrote:

1. The 3, 2, 1, GO! sound is so high-pitched
2. It makes learning <sarcasm>“fun”</sarcasm> by making it as addictive as Candy Crush Saga and Flappy Bird.
3. The good offline edition costs lots of money and requires a powerful computer that can handle good 3D graphics.
4. Anyone outside of Australia can't even use it becuase of it's “.au” domain!

One scary story I heard from my teacher was:

XXXXXXX is fun! At my old school with the Year 5's, after they saw XXXXXXX, they decided to quit doing anything else on their computers and just did it all day, every day on the holidays.

I find it scary because all our 50 minute long computer sessions could just become XXXXXXX sessions for the rest of the year and no-one would learn how to use Win7 becuase about 16/27 people in our class struggle to use Windows 7, let alone Windows 8, let alone Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, let alone Ubuntu, let alone Arch Linux.

And the worst part? If we don't get enough points in each session, we get banned from the computers FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!!!!! Nano describes what I mean (if you click on him)!

Now this is serious!

3… Mah( ) situation

I can't tell our class to stop it since everyone would hate me, and to prove it…
XXXXXX Supporters vs No Supporters
Supporters 26/27 children Mainly kids who don't know how to use Windows 7 well, let alone 8, let alone Mac, let alone Ubuntu, let alone Arch Linux.
No Supporters 1/27 children CatsUnited (everyone's gonna hate me now…)

Also, my teacher is going to try and make this school-wide.

What's worst is that now they're talking about XXXXXX all day

Person1 wrote:

OMG I Just got 500 POINTS!!! (emoji spam (nah not really emojis aren't in the real world))

Person2 wrote:

Well I'm going onto the computer and get 2000 POINTS!!!
and so on…

bottom text
PaganoLeo10
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

We mostly have OS X Mavericks and OS X Yosemite at our school.
Browser: We, at first used Safari but when our teachers saw Chrome - Oh my goodness, they went crazy for it.
EDIT 2-20-15: Our teachers found chrome a year and a half ago.

Last edited by PaganoLeo10 (Feb. 20, 2015 22:28:28)

Moving on from Scratch? Learn a C derivative or Java.
Please give me an internet (Yes, I am UnitedUntitled.) In return you get a slogan.
“Scratch is awesome” 43 translations later with Yandex we get “What is good”.

Being awesome, staying awesome. -PaganoLeo10

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

PaganoLeo10 wrote:

We mostly have OS X Mavericks and OS X Yosemite at our school.
Browser: We, at first used Safari but when our teachers saw Chrome - Oh my goodness, they went crazy for it.
You're lucky. Our Win7 computers have Chrome but the teachers encourage us to use IE. It's “highly recommended”, and so do the students.

IE users 24/27
Google Chrome users 3/27

Another user down, 24 to go!

Last edited by CatsUnited (Feb. 17, 2015 07:51:35)

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

^ My “Get everyone to use Google Chrome and think of a better name for this” plan is working! I got one more person to use it!

bottom text
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

^ My “Get everyone to use Google Chrome and think of a better name for this” plan is working! I got one more person to use it!
Are you allowed to install themes and extensions?

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

nathanprocks wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Are you allowed to install themes and extensions?
Not at all. The download ban does count for web browsers

bottom text
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Well, we can download, but everything must go onto our school server.

natemonster321
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

I used to download butt tons of pictures that i thought looked cool into my pictures folder at school. At the end of the year, I moved them all to my flash drive. its so tiny yet 32 gb If they went through the school server, and someone actually looked through those, they would think I was a rabid fangirl of Doctor Who. But I'm a boy, not a girl.

Steam: natemonster321
Youtube: TheUltimateMaleFan Can I haz Internets?~Can I haz huggles?
A kumquat ate my rainbow.
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

natemonster321 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

I used to download butt tons of pictures that i thought looked cool into my pictures folder at school. At the end of the year, I moved them all to my flash drive. its so tiny yet 32 gb If they went through the school server, and someone actually looked through those, they would think I was a rabid fangirl of Doctor Who. But I'm a boy, not a girl.
I've downloaded many gigabytes on my school's internet. Probably at least 30GB in total in the last 2 years. I usually use my school laptop or their desktop computers to download, but sometimes I take my MacBook Pro to school if it is a file that I can only get on Mac such as huge updates.

Last year I figured out how to access other students files on the network. They didn't set the right permissions on the folders, so I could open Windows Explorer and type the path to where the student files are stored on the server. I also figured out how to access it from my iPad. I didn't modify or delete anyones files but I did find photos of some friends from a few years ago that they deleted after I showed them because they were embarrassed. xD

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

nathanprocks wrote:

natemonster321 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

I've downloaded many gigabytes on my school's internet. Probably at least 30GB in total in the last 2 years. I usually use my school laptop or their desktop computers to download, but sometimes I take my MacBook Pro to school if it is a file that I can only get on Mac such as huge updates.

Last year I figured out how to access other students files on the network. They didn't set the right permissions on the folders, so I could open Windows Explorer and type the path to where the student files are stored on the server. I also figured out how to access it from my iPad. I didn't modify or delete anyones files but I did find photos of some friends from a few years ago that they deleted after I showed them because they were embarrassed. xD
Whatever you do, don't try to tell your school that you discovered a “bug” or “exploit” because they can just get you arrested for hacking and accessing “private” information. This is what happened to one boy who documented all the flaws in the code of a school server and sent them to the school, he got arrested and got jail time for hacking. If you really want to report the issue, do it very, very anonymously.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

natemonster321 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Whatever you do, don't try to tell your school that you discovered a “bug” or “exploit” because they can just get you arrested for hacking and accessing “private” information. This is what happened to one boy who documented all the flaws in the code of a school server and sent them to the school, he got arrested and got jail time for hacking. If you really want to report the issue, do it very, very anonymously.
ARRESTED?? That sounds serious.

bottom text
eolhc1963
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

W have a BYOD school so everyone has their own laptop. I LOVE IT! Almost everyone in my core class (in high school) has a macbook or macbook pro. We could by our own or rent a school one. most people (like me) bought their own because it was like $1000 cheaper, no overexageration!

Season 4 of Sherlock….
Some people complain that it's taking forever to be released
That doesn't bother me
I have a TARDIS

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

eolhc1963 wrote:

W have a BYOD school so everyone has their own laptop. I LOVE IT! Almost everyone in my core class (in high school) has a macbook or macbook pro. We could by our own or rent a school one. most people (like me) bought their own because it was like $1000 cheaper, no overexageration!
You're lucky. Our school has about 50 desktop computers and they run Win7 with IE8 or IE11 and Chrome (IE8 is bad, I saw a website with lots of ads and it failed to work in IE8. Also, some of our classes do Studyladder and there are lots of graphical problems in IE8 when using Studyladder because of CSS.

Edit: <offtopic>500TH POST!</offtopic>

Last edited by CatsUnited (Feb. 20, 2015 09:24:31)

bottom text
Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

Video

Dat beat tho…

Anyway. I took a screenshot of my school computer's desktop but still have not posted it… One day…

Last edited by Zeusking19 (Feb. 20, 2015 10:33:27)

nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

natemonster321 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

I actually told my old computer teacher about it, but she knows that I wouldn't do any harm so I didn't get into trouble for it. It wasn't actually a bug in the code or anything. It was just the permissions on the student files. I know that the staff and administrator files all have the correct permissions because I get the “Access denied” error if I try to access it. I'm sure that I would get into a lot of trouble if I were to run Metasploit on the school network. I actually have Metasploit framework installed on my iPad.

;