Discuss Scratch

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Also, I'm in trouble because I pressed F12 (Inpsect Element) and now I feel that the teachers are probably going to disactivate the Ctrl, Alt, F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12, Delete and Insert. If that happens, I can't do Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V (which I use VERY often)

bottom text
Ben02045
Scratcher
40 posts

School Computers

My school provides every student with a Toshiba laptop. We use them a lot in class and have school gmails. The funny thing is that the passwords are predictable and you can get into almost any account without trying, but no one even uses the accounts anyways lol.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

@CatsUnited
And Scratch isn't blocked for being inappropriate - it's not blocked at all. Neither is the Wiki.
It's because teachers won't want us to do this

Look At
> MLG (Major League Gaming) Content
> MLP (My Little Pony) content
> Any movies (like some Scratch projects have movie scenes taken out and turned into a gif like they take out parts of Big Hero 6, Frozen etc.)

Play
> FNAF Fan Games
> FPS Games (like Griffpatch's Laser Tag)

Do
> Colouring Contests
> RPing
> Fan Fics

The wiki isn't blocked because it doesn't have this stuff in it.

Last edited by CatsUnited (Feb. 10, 2015 07:16:39)

bottom text
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

> RPing

Well I guess you could create a sub-page under your wiki user page to RP if you have a wiki account.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

Also, I'm in trouble because I pressed F12 (Inpsect Element) and now I feel that the teachers are probably going to disactivate the Ctrl, Alt, F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12, Delete and Insert. If that happens, I can't do Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V (which I use VERY often)

WHAT?!?

Inspect Element is fine here. Same with Ctrl+C and +V. The only thing you're not allowed to do is change the desktop backgrounds or the basic computer settings. Internet usage is fine as long as you don't try to bypass the filter.

Also…

It's because teachers won't want us to do this

Look At
> MLG (Major League Gaming) Content
> MLP (My Little Pony) content
> Any movies (like some Scratch projects have movie scenes taken out and turned into a gif like they take out parts of Big Hero 6, Frozen etc.)

Play
> FNAF Fan Games
> FPS Games (like Griffpatch's Laser Tag)

Do
> Colouring Contests
> RPing
> Fan Fics

MLP is a bit old for high-schoolers, but I see a 12th-grade girl do MLP every day. She sits right next to me in the computer class. I'm baffled at how she still likes it.
FNAF was a trend at my school for about a day.
FPS is a bit laggy and intense, so this would probably be the only controversial thing.
CCs - No one has heard of these, but they're okay.
RPing is controversial, but it's okay at my school as long as it doesn't get out of hand.
Fan Fics - I don't know what these are.

The only thing that's really banned is Yu-Gi-Oh!. There was a trend last year that got WAY too out of hand.

Last edited by TheHockeyist (Feb. 10, 2015 16:28:32)

gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

Our computers run Windows 7 with Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.

They take 30 minutes to boot (I'm not kidding here. The teachers come to school early to boot the computers so they will be ready when class starts.)

What I can do on them: lots of trolls. One plug to turn off all of the internet in one room.

Also, I got into a debate that took half the class period (an hour) with our computers teachers about why we should use Chrome as default. It ended in Chrome being installed on the computers the next school year but he still “highly recommended” that students use IE.

“Highly recommended”? Wow…

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

turkey3 wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I found a similar item but it's latest reply was nearly a year ago.

SCHOOL COMPUTERS

Discuss about your school's computers. It can be about their OS, what you can't do on them, what browser they run, how long you have and what you do on them.

RULES:
  • Do not say your school's name or location
    Do not say any of your teachers names
    Follow this

At my little brother's school, they are still using Optiplex GX260s and most of ‘em run Windows XP! At my school, for general use we have Optiplex GX620s or Optiplex 725’s or something. For 3D CAD we have these HP Ultrabooks with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM.
Optiplexes with XP were like the computers of schools.

I forgot to say that all of our Optiplex PCs were designed for XP but they upgraded them to Windows 7. Almost all of them have 2 GB of RAM and either a Core 2 Duo or a high end Pentium 4, which is OK… We also have regular use Lenovo Thinkpad laptops with 4 GB of RAM and an AMD A8-5400 APU.

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Okay, this year is the year our school has used more technology than ever.

When school started last year (before I knew Scratch), everyone used IE8 or IE6 (I hope not) since no other browser existed on our computers and they all ran Windows XP. There were no iPads and classdojo was a thing that only just started (once Windows 7 came along).

Now, Our computers are Win7 (you all know that), we have at least one iPad in our class and quite a few other things are happening. Also, this is School Computers, so I didn't talk about the rest of our school. Also, they've just lifted the “IE ONLY!” rule, but like OmnipotentPotato,

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

he still “highly recommended” that students use IE.
which seems strange especially considering that some computers still have IE8 from the XP days (most of them have IE11 now, which isn't too bad).

Last edited by CatsUnited (Feb. 11, 2015 07:19:47)

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

~it's up there uno (oh wait that means one )~

MLP is a bit old for high-schoolers, but I see a 12th-grade girl do MLP every day. She sits right next to me in the computer class. I'm baffled at how she still likes it. I'm still in primary school (but I'm going to high school next year)
FNAF was a trend at my school for about a day. For us, it was much longer, but way less people were talking about it because everyone either said stuff about Minecraft or Call Of Duty
FPS is a bit laggy and intense, so this would probably be the only controversial thing.
CCs - No one has heard of these, but they're okay. same
RPing is controversial, but it's okay at my school as long as it doesn't get out of hand. actually no-one at our school (expect mine) has heard of it
Fan Fics - I don't know what these are. me either, but I heard it on Scratch

The only thing that's really banned is Yu-Gi-Oh!. There was a trend last year that got WAY too out of hand. Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't even a trend for our school. Only about 20 people know about it and 3 collect the cards.

My comments are underlined

bottom text
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

My friends found this online Minecraft thing that literally downloads a free Minecraft Launcher JAR to your computer, and literally opens Minecraft. For free. I think they hit an illegal copy or something. A bunch of people are literally using it right now, and the community they're developing is quite interesting. Even more absurd, the school doesn't block the website or anything! I can't believe they somehow found a workaround to play Minecraft with each other for free. Talk about absurd…
OmnipotentPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

goldfish678 wrote:

My friends found this online Minecraft thing that literally downloads a free Minecraft Launcher JAR to your computer, and literally opens Minecraft. For free. I think they hit an illegal copy or something. A bunch of people are literally using it right now, and the community they're developing is quite interesting. Even more absurd, the school doesn't block the website or anything! I can't believe they somehow found a workaround to play Minecraft with each other for free. Talk about absurd…
coughwatchemgetaviruscough
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

*coughadminswilluninstallminecraftlolcough*
There are schools who still use Internet Explorer? At my school, we all use Chrome and IE is discouraged unless you have to use it. You do get freedom of what browser you use, but almost everyone uses Chrome.

OmnipotentPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

There are schools who still use Internet Explorer? At my school, we all use Chrome and IE is discouraged unless you have to use it. You do get freedom of what browser you use, but almost everyone uses Chrome.
Well, pretty much everyone in my school uses IE still. As I said, it was just installed this year though. Most of them aren't so tech-y, and since they didn't add a shortcut of Chrome to the desktop, most people just use IE because it is the only browser on the desktop lol.

And, if you download “free minecraft” if you get a virus uninstalling mc won't get rid of the virus most likely.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

Well, pretty much everyone in my school uses IE still. As I said, it was just installed this year though. Most of them aren't so tech-y, and since they didn't add a shortcut of Chrome to the desktop, most people just use IE because it is the only browser on the desktop lol.

And, if you download “free minecraft” if you get a virus uninstalling mc won't get rid of the virus most likely.

Same thing at our school, but they forced us to add Chrome as the default browser. Now everyone's a Chromer (Chromist? Chromian?). Heck, let's just go with Chrome user. We now have an icon shortcut thingy.

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

*coughstopgoinglikethiseveryoneit'shardtoreadwordswithoutspacescough*

Anyway, I've heard that our school is getting even more iPads than they do already. Soon, iPads will likely outnumber computers at our school (but PC is much better).

@TheHockeyist

Yes, schools still use IE and “highly recommended” it. My school's lifted the “IE ONLY!” rule and we can use Chrome but only the tech-savvy people use it and there are only two of them (one of them's me). Everyone else just listens to what the teachers say and still use IE. They don't even want to use the Start Menu and Google Chrome is not on the desktop which is why everyone expect 2 people use IE.

bottom text
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

*coughstopgoinglikethiseveryoneit'shardtoreadwordswithoutspacescough*

Anyway, I've heard that our school is getting even more iPads than they do already. Soon, iPads will likely outnumber computers at our school (but PC is much better).

@TheHockeyist

Yes, schools still use IE and “highly recommended” it. My school's lifted the “IE ONLY!” rule and we can use Chrome but only the tech-savvy people use it and there are only two of them (one of them's me). Everyone else just listens to what the teachers say and still use IE. They don't even want to use the Start Menu and Google Chrome is not on the desktop which is why everyone expect 2 people use IE.

iPads? Those are banned at my school as well as any portable electronics. Phones are banned unless it's an emergency! The only electronics we have are the school computers and idiots bringing out their phones in class and them getting confiscated.

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

~snip~

The teachers have them.

bottom text
OmnipotentPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

~snip~

The teachers have them.
Exactly! The teachers are like “no phones in school, give me it” and then 5 minutes later they say “talk with your groups about it for a minute” and then goes to text lol.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

~snip~

The teachers have them.
Exactly! The teachers are like “no phones in school, give me it” and then 5 minutes later they say “talk with your groups about it for a minute” and then goes to text lol.
Our teachers are too concerned with grades and attendance. There was one teacher who would do her makeup, though. No teachers got out their phones.

goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

They're not really installing anything, just downloading this ridiculous free Minecraft JAR from this legit website.