CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Also, I have to go to almost everyone else's computers to help them because they rely on me.

Because of the Don't read the computer's specs rule, the only stuff I know about them are that the powerful ones run

Windows 7 Professional with Aero Theme
Lenovo Thinkstation
An intel proceesor (they won't tell us what processor)

And I learnt Scratch when the computers had

Windows XP Professional
Adobe Flash 9
IE 6 or 8

Once I started using 2.0, I thought that 2.0 was an older version and 1.4 was the newest 0_0

Why can't you read the computer's specs? That's kind of a weird rule… You can look at the specs if you have Windows 7 but pretend to be selecting something in the “Computer” display with the hard drives and USB drives.

I might try it once school starts. (Or when computer starts - we only have about 50 minutes for an entire week, but often the teachers stop us at about 35 - 45 minutes.)

That's it? Your school has some pretty strict rules!

And the only time we can use the computer other than that time is for research. (Which is about once every two-three months that happens)

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

gigapouch wrote:

One of my teachers did give me some “programming goodies”. And by that, I mean

1. Scratch 1.4 (which I don't even use anymore unless I want to mod it)
2. Kodu Game Lab (a 3D engine by Microsoft - it crashes if I run it for more than 30 minutes, so I don't use it anymore)
3. Game Maker Studio (which I don't use)

Now, I only use Scratch 2, HTML, Javascript and Python for coding.

bottom text
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

More on the topic of my school…
Students can use any browser, but Chrome is highly recommended - pretty much default now - I don't see any students using anything else.
Wikipedia is not blocked.
YouTube is blocked (to my knowledge).
About 50% of images are blocked for some weird reason (the terrible filter blocks out many good sites).
We have a terrible outdated version of both Flash and Java (you must be an administrator to update either - and the admins don't do it. I always get a message saying “Update Java now or else!” whenever I log on.)
Command Prompt and Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) are disabled.
Downloading anything to the school computers is forbidden. Each student has a server for their stuff, and you must save it to your server (but student servers get wiped clean every year).
We are free to use any paint editing program (most people use MS Paint, but we do not have any restrictions).
About the only things restricted at our school are forums, inappropriate images (usually in the sense of biological (√529)-chromosome stuff… you know what I mean, right?), blood and gore is allowed (zombie trend going around), anything Yu-Gi-Oh or cards are blocked, (There was a trend last year that got out way of hand. Thank god, Mr. Principal. I was sick of it.) cyberbullying and harassing, texting the (√529)-chromosome stuff, threats to destroy the school, etc.

But it's fairly reasonable.

Last edited by TheHockeyist (Jan. 31, 2015 03:27:44)

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

More on the topic of my school…
Students can use any browser, but Chrome is highly recommended - pretty much default now - I don't see any students using anything else.
Wikipedia is not blocked.
YouTube is blocked (to my knowledge).
About 50% of images are blocked for some weird reason (the terrible filter blocks out many good sites).
We have a terrible outdated version of both Flash and Java (you must be an administrator to update either - and the admins don't do it. I always get a message saying “Update Java now or else!” whenever I log on.)
Command Prompt and Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) are disabled.
We are free to use any paint editing program (most people use MS Paint, but we do not have any restrictions).
About the only things restricted at our school are forums, inappropriate images (usually in the sense of biological (√529)-chromosome stuff… you know what I mean, right?), blood and gore is allowed (zombie trend going around), anything Yu-Gi-Oh or cards are blocked, (There was a trend last year that got out way of hand. Thank god, Mr. Principal. I was sick of it.) cyberbullying and harassing, texting the (√529)-chromosome stuff, threats to destroy the school, etc.

But it's fairly reasonable.
In my school…
Students can only use IE unless told by our teacher (which has only happened once)
Wikipedia is not blocked at my school, but we have to use World Book Web
Youtube is blocked (but people can easily workaround it)
Images are fine for us.
I know. Our school has Adobe Flash 9 or 11 (they won't tell us) and a really old version of Java (if they have it, many Java applets don't work if we don't accept a dialog that pops up)
Command Prompt's blocked, but Ctrl-Alt-Delete works (it just doesn't allow us to do anything)
We only use MS Paint
Yeah, we can't log on to just about anything, even Scratch. Yu-Gi-Oh is allowed at our school because we don't have a problem with it.

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Wow - 25 replies already.

I did remember getting an account for an educational site where we played games that had maths in them. We had accounts for them, but the passwords the teacher gave us only had three letters and there were no numbers, no symbols and the word was just a common word (like bat, car, net). Because of this, we had to quit the educational program because we got hacked by other students, and my intelligence made me the main target.

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Oh yeah, and here are some of the other apps our school computers have

Spelling Wizard or something like that
Mega Crossword Puzzle thing
Phonics Master or something like that.
Typemaster.
Kid Pix Studio
GIMP 2.8
Microsoft Office
Word <– For documents
Powerpoint <– For slide shows
Excel <– For graphs
Onenote <– We never use it.
Outlook <– We never use it.
Publisher <– For creating brochures and other things.
Firefox <– Which we used for Hour of Code

bottom text
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Also, I have to go to almost everyone else's computers to help them because they rely on me.

Because of the Don't read the computer's specs rule, the only stuff I know about them are that the powerful ones run

Windows 7 Professional with Aero Theme
Lenovo Thinkstation
An intel proceesor (they won't tell us what processor)

And I learnt Scratch when the computers had

Windows XP Professional
Adobe Flash 9
IE 6 or 8

Once I started using 2.0, I thought that 2.0 was an older version and 1.4 was the newest 0_0

Why can't you read the computer's specs? That's kind of a weird rule… You can look at the specs if you have Windows 7 but pretend to be selecting something in the “Computer” display with the hard drives and USB drives.

I might try it once school starts. (Or when computer starts - we only have about 50 minutes for an entire week, but often the teachers stop us at about 35 - 45 minutes.)

Sounds quite annoying to me how strict they are. If I were you I'd check for vulnerabilities and pull a little prank. See if the BIOS is password protected and disable booting from the hard drive.

No I'm just kidding XD don't do that you'll get in trouble. I always check school computers for vulnerabilities, for one thing I have the ability on some to set a BIOS password. That can only be restored by them clearing the CMOS. Also FYI if they don't give you access to the control panel you can change the desktop background via Firefox, right-click an image and set as background.

nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

My school uses Lenovo ThinkCentre computers (used to be IBM years ago). They have Intel Pentium processors and I think 4GB of RAM. I can't remember what all the specs are. We access the internet through a proxy server which filters inappropriate content, forums (excluding some educational forums such as Scratch), social networks (excluding Google+, not sure why), streaming, anything to do with hacking. The network firewall also blocks most ports. The cool thing is that now that I started year 11, they have unblocked some sites such as YouTube.
The most updated computers have Windows 7 Enterprise, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, Audacity, the latest Adobe CS, and many other useful programs installed. We can't run anything that must be run as administrator. Chrome doesn't require admin, so I usually install it on computers I use.

Last year, I got to help the IT person setup new computers, install the Windows image from the network, take out the old computers from the library, put in the new ones, connect them to the domain, etc. It was pretty fun, except when I had to help carry the computers (3 at a time) in boxes.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

turkey3 wrote:

I always check school computers for vulnerabilities, for one thing I have the ability on some to set a BIOS password. That can only be restored by them clearing the CMOS. Also FYI if they don't give you access to the control panel you can change the desktop background via Firefox, right-click an image and set as background.

We're not allowed to change the desktop background and we're not allowed to use Firefox anyway unless told by the teacher.

nathanprocks wrote:

My school uses Lenovo ThinkCentre computers (used to be IBM years ago). They have Intel Pentium processors and I think 4GB of RAM. I can't remember what all the specs are. We access the internet through a proxy server which filters inappropriate content, forums (excluding some educational forums such as Scratch), social networks (excluding Google+, not sure why), streaming, anything to do with hacking. The network firewall also blocks most ports. The cool thing is that now that I started year 11, they have unblocked some sites such as YouTube.
The most updated computers have Windows 7 Enterprise, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, Audacity, the latest Adobe CS, and many other useful programs installed. We can't run anything that must be run as administrator. Chrome doesn't require admin, so I usually install it on computers I use.
Yeah, I remembered someone who managed to log into their Google+ account. I think it isn't blocked because it's Google, then again, Youtube is by Google and that's blocked .

bottom text
Code_Name_Geek
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

Our school computers all run Windows 7. The school has wireless Internet, though, so most students bring their own laptops or use their iPods and cellphones for research. We do get to pick what browser we use, but hardly anyone (including the teachers) uses anything other than Chrome. Some websites are blocked, mainly blogs, forums and Facebook, but we're allowed to use Wikipedia. Until recently students weren't allowed YouTube access at all (although there were many ways around that, such as the infamous Google Translate trick), but now we can watch some videos (there's an education filter or something). Teachers have always been able to use YouTube, and we once got the password to a substitute teacher account and used that to watch it. Command Prompt is disabled, and we can't download any programs (luckily that's easy to get around by bringing your own computer). Although we're not specifically not allowed to change the desktop background, it usually reverts back to the default student one next time you log in. Sites like Scratch are allowed, as is Twitter (because our school has a Twitter feed). Most mobile apps run on school WiFi as well, but 3DSs seem to have issues connecting to it. We're discouraged from using Google Translate at all, and directed towards sites like WordReference, which I personally agree with because Google Translate is terrible. The band room has a Mac for music purposes (we watch bands on YouTube and stuff). Every classroom has a projector hooked up to the teacher's computer, which most teachers use more than writing on the whiteboards. Overall, I think the school division has done a pretty good job of trying to keep up with technology, even though other schools in the city are ahead of us at times.

Are you a writer of any kind? Check out the Writers' Guild of Scratch!

Looking for project ideas? The Creative Spark studio is packed full of projects designed to jumpstart your imagination!

“Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn. They teach you there’s a boundary line to music. But, man, there’s no boundary line to art.”
—Charlie Parker
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

One of my teachers did give me some “programming goodies”. And by that, I mean

1. Scratch 1.4 (which I don't even use anymore unless I want to mod it)
2. Kodu Game Lab (a 3D engine by Microsoft - it crashes if I run it for more than 30 minutes, so I don't use it anymore)
3. Game Maker Studio (which I don't use)

Now, I only use Scratch 2, HTML, Javascript and Python for coding.

You can download all of those free! I use Kodu Game Lab, but the computers it is used on at school make it lag a lot (rarely over 20 fps)…

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

Student computers are RM One EcoQuiets, Dual/Quad core Pentiums, Win7, RM CC4, 4GB RAM
Learning Support laptops are Toshiba Laptops, Core i5, 4GB RAM, also Win7 and CC4.
Teacher computers are RM Experts, Dual core Pentiums, Win 7, CC4, 2-4GB RAM.

General software suites:

Overall:
Office 2010 Suite (Enterprise)
AndreaMosaic
LiveBook (Science and Geography)
Internet Explorer

Technology:
Yenka
2D Design
Trimble SketchUp

Information and Technology:
Scratch 1.4
Game Maker
Microsoft Expression Web

Last edited by Zeusking19 (Jan. 31, 2015 16:46:45)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

No changing the desktop backgrounds.

Our school does have wireless internet, and it's password-protected. I am sure the password is something like HwY5$TGw4TGW#%6yTG76hW#$yvg and beyond. Many students bring their own devices for wireless internet, and even those do not work very well. But on the computers, you can access the internet just fine (unless if they are doing work on the internet and you really want to scream at the admins because it was fine before and you are rant rant rant rant rant rant rant…).

Last edited by TheHockeyist (Jan. 31, 2015 17:15:31)

turkey3_test
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

nathanprocks wrote:

Last year, I got to help the IT person setup new computers, install the Windows image from the network, take out the old computers from the library, put in the new ones, connect them to the domain, etc. It was pretty fun, except when I had to help carry the computers (3 at a time) in boxes.
I always wondered how schools connect to a domain and logon to any computer with your username and password. Do they run some third party software or does Windows have this built in?

GyroscopeBill
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

In some newer rooms we have Apple Macs and I usually see people using Safari. In other rooms we have these Lenovo computers (dunno all the details) but they have Windows 7. Most people who use them use Internet Explorer.

Pingu is learning about politics with this amazing project.
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

turkey3_test wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

I always wondered how schools connect to a domain and logon to any computer with your username and password. Do they run some third party software or does Windows have this built in?

I'm pretty sure Windows has this built in.

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
MidnightMystique
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

My school has a weird filter system. They literally blocked Bing. Which I don't mind, but in case we have people who actually use it, it quite probably stinks. They also block a lot of other sites, but for some reason, everyone can access Pinterest. As for the computer type, I believe they're Windows 7.

pls not the bees guys no bees or else i will scream
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Code_Name_Geek wrote:

Our school computers all run Windows 7. The school has wireless Internet, though, so most students bring their own laptops or use their iPods and cellphones for research. We do get to pick what browser we use, but hardly anyone (including the teachers) uses anything other than Chrome. Some websites are blocked, mainly blogs, forums and Facebook, but we're allowed to use Wikipedia. Until recently students weren't allowed YouTube access at all (although there were many ways around that, such as the infamous Google Translate trick), but now we can watch some videos (there's an education filter or something). Teachers have always been able to use YouTube, and we once got the password to a substitute teacher account and used that to watch it. Command Prompt is disabled, and we can't download any programs (luckily that's easy to get around by bringing your own computer). Although we're not specifically not allowed to change the desktop background, it usually reverts back to the default student one next time you log in. Sites like Scratch are allowed, as is Twitter (because our school has a Twitter feed). Most mobile apps run on school WiFi as well, but 3DSs seem to have issues connecting to it. We're discouraged from using Google Translate at all, and directed towards sites like WordReference, which I personally agree with because Google Translate is terrible. The band room has a Mac for music purposes (we watch bands on YouTube and stuff). Every classroom has a projector hooked up to the teacher's computer, which most teachers use more than writing on the whiteboards. Overall, I think the school division has done a pretty good job of trying to keep up with technology, even though other schools in the city are ahead of us at times.

That's nice, our school uses the same Ethernet network they have been using for about 15 years (I think that the staff room has WiFi). We're not allowed to bring our own devices becuase they could get damaged, so you get detention. Some of my friends know the Google Translate trick. We still can't watch YouTube videos, only teachers and they're allowed to watch anything.

We're not allowed to change the background and it changes back to the default Windows 7 one anyway. Scratch is blocked 0_0 and twitter is definitely blocked (our school still uses e-mail only however some teachers such as my music teacher have social media accounts.

We can use Google Translate. Our entire school uses Windows 7. All of our classrooms have a projector hooked to the teachers computer (however most of the time they still use blackboards and whiteboards). Overall, I think that we're behind you by quite a bit.

Zeusking19 wrote:

Student computers are RM One EcoQuiets, Dual/Quad core Pentiums, Win7, RM CC4, 4GB RAM
Learning Support laptops are Toshiba Laptops, Core i5, 4GB RAM, also Win7 and CC4.
Teacher computers are RM Experts, Dual core Pentiums, Win 7, CC4, 2-4GB RAM.

General software suites:

Overall:
Office 2010 Suite (Enterprise)
AndreaMosaic
LiveBook (Science and Geography)
Internet Explorer

Technology:
Yenka
2D Design
Trimble SketchUp

Information and Technology:
Scratch 1.4
Game Maker
Microsoft Expression Web

Why do teachers use Scratch 1.4??

GyroscopeBill wrote:

In some newer rooms we have Apple Macs and I usually see people using Safari. In other rooms we have these Lenovo computers (dunno all the details) but they have Windows 7. Most people who use them use Internet Explorer.

All our computers use Windows 7. All our computers are Lenovo, and that siggy!!

MidnightMystique wrote:

My school has a weird filter system. They literally blocked Bing. Which I don't mind, but in case we have people who actually use it, it quite probably stinks. They also block a lot of other sites, but for some reason, everyone can access Pinterest. As for the computer type, I believe they're Windows 7.
Our school probably blocks Bing because we're supposed to use Google. Also for translation, we're supposed to use Google Translate 0_0

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

gigapouch wrote:

You can download all of those free! I use Kodu Game Lab, but the computers it is used on at school make it lag a lot (rarely over 20 fps)…

Mine usually goes at 40 - 60 fps during normal gameplay and depending on the world, the zooming and other stuff, it goes rarely above 120 fps (because of my graphics card and RAM). The water effect is awesome and it's great until it crashes.

bottom text
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

Mine usually goes at 40 - 60 fps during normal gameplay and depending on the world, the zooming and other stuff, it goes rarely above 120 fps (because of my graphics card and RAM). The water effect is awesome and it's great until it crashes.

On my computer, I actually get about 175 fps on a world with the temperature meter up to red! On the menus, I get about 400.