Discuss Scratch

kayybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Pablo_Paturg wrote:

You know, there IS a way to make 3D scratch, and still have it easily accessible, make two seperate downloads; one for Scratch 2D, and one for Scratch 3D. Problem solved, that way beginners can use the 2D version, while more advanced users can move onto the 3D version. As for the potential problem of a lower framerate, 3D projects will probably have to be downloaded, like you could with 2D projects back in 1.0, I see no reason to at least CONSIDER this.
Well, the Scratch team took over 2-3 years to make a 2D scratch. How long do you think a 3D scratch would take?
There are already many alternatives, including the obvious one of being a good programmer and programming the 3D game in 2D.
Pablo_Paturg
New to Scratch
15 posts

kayybee wrote:

Pablo_Paturg wrote:

You know, there IS a way to make 3D scratch, and still have it easily accessible, make two seperate downloads; one for Scratch 2D, and one for Scratch 3D. Problem solved, that way beginners can use the 2D version, while more advanced users can move onto the 3D version. As for the potential problem of a lower framerate, 3D projects will probably have to be downloaded, like you could with 2D projects back in 1.0, I see no reason to at least CONSIDER this.
Well, the Scratch team took over 2-3 years to make a 2D scratch. How long do you think a 3D scratch would take?
There are already many alternatives, including the obvious one of being a good programmer and programming the 3D game in 2D.
I'm almost positive MIT will still exist in 4-6 years. Plus, you've probably seen that 3D games made with 2D scratch don't fare well, the frame drops to an almost unplayable state (though very simple games can get around this) and the graphics are of Amiga quality. (one of the first home computers to render 3D, though very laggy) Another thing is that other 3D programming languages similar to scratch just don't “sit” right with me, if you understand what i'm going at, for example, when creating things with ALICE, you can only see a screen roughly the size of the original Game Boy, you can call it nitpicking, but I really don't like it. It doesn't even have to be that complicated, just Scratch with a Z coordinate added (plus a few more art features and blocks to make it work)
kayybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pablo_Paturg wrote:

kayybee wrote:

Pablo_Paturg wrote:

I'm almost positive MIT will still exist in 4-6 years. Plus, you've probably seen that 3D games made with 2D scratch don't fare well, the frame drops to an almost unplayable state (though very simple games can get around this) and the graphics are of Amiga quality. (one of the first home computers to render 3D, though very laggy) Another thing is that other 3D programming languages similar to scratch just don't “sit” right with me, if you understand what i'm going at, for example, when creating things with ALICE, you can only see a screen roughly the size of the original Game Boy, you can call it nitpicking, but I really don't like it. It doesn't even have to be that complicated, just Scratch with a Z coordinate added (plus a few more art features and blocks to make it work)
If a person really wants to make advanced things, they should consider moving on to an advanced language (or just any language might work). MIT obviously will exist in 4-6 years (if they don't I'm going to be extremely angry and have to reconsider my life plans and stuff) but they already have tons of things to do, such as build the HTML5 editor, or fix bugs here.

Another alternative is just to use programs that are meant to be in 3D, instead of reinventing the wheel. Blender+python would work, or unity.

While scratch was intended to be able to support advanced programmers, it's better to move on to a different language, instead of just staying on Scratch. I don't see why they can't just learn a more advanced language.
curiouscrab
Scratcher
500+ posts

You forgot about changing your username.
mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

curiouscrab wrote:

You forgot about changing your username.
Thanks! He added it.

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
vacuumfan7072
Scratcher
100+ posts

Please change “this summer” to soon.

Scratching since 2010
when green flag clicked
forever
Keep Smiling, Homie
end
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

vacuumfan7072 wrote:

If you want the downloadable version so soon, why don't you make it?

mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dracae wrote:

vacuumfan7072 wrote:

If you want the downloadable version so soon, why don't you make it?
He means since it's July, that any point during the summer will be soon.

Capsicum annuum.
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pablo_Paturg wrote:

Not the place to suggest things, remember? Split this into its own topic.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Oh, yeah, and the App. Apple doesn't like it, but other devices might support it soon/now.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

dsaztur
Scratcher
500+ posts

2. Reporters and booleans in custom blocks

Is implemented.

no
thermalwolf3261
Scratcher
7 posts

Can you make it so art doesn't get messed up when uploaded? And please make a variable that is like a cloud variable but only saves to your computer, so you can save your game. It would also be really helpful if you could record your project and save it as a mp4 file so you can make game walkthroughs and PVs for video sharing websites like youtube and nico nico.
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

thermalwolf3261 wrote:

Can you make it so art doesn't get messed up when uploaded? And please make a variable that is like a cloud variable but only saves to your computer, so you can save your game. It would also be really helpful if you could record your project and save it as a mp4 file so you can make game walkthroughs and PVs for video sharing websites like youtube and nico nico.
This isn't the place to share your suggestions. Please make a topic for them.

Last edited by NoxSpooth (July 7, 2013 23:08:46)

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dsaztur wrote:

2. Reporters and booleans in custom blocks

Is implemented.
I think this means that you get to make your own reporter or boolean. So it reports a value instead of just being a stack block.

Also, could you add “un-flagging”? It seems to pop up like, all the time.

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add “Mobile Scratch”.

Capsicum annuum.
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A lot of people are suggesting group projects, where multiple people work on a project at the same time. There are plenty of moderation and server problems for this one.

JamesOuO
Scratcher
500+ posts

You should make a “random” button on explore so unnoticed scratchers can still get some views.

ArtStarArtist
Scratcher
14 posts

jvvg wrote:

3. Disabling “See inside” (formerly locking downloads)
Several people want to be able to lock their projects so that they are read-only, and other people can't see the code to copy their scripts, sounds, or artwork. However, the motto of Scratch is "Imagine - Program - Share". By putting a project on the site, you give anyone who sees it the right to see your code, all data in it, and potentially copy it. Part of the whole goal of Scratch is remixing. If you do not wish to allow this, then you are welcome to publish the project on your own site (once the downloadable Scratch 2.0 comes out).

Even posting on a website won't help, if you delete it to make not ABLE TO REMIX IT and post the code (before you delete it) on that site the cat appears says the project is removed, Youtube would help but my recorder makes the computer slow

Last edited by ArtStarArtist (July 14, 2013 15:27:54)

vacuumfan7072
Scratcher
100+ posts

Failord wrote:

Oh, yeah, and the App. Apple doesn't like it, but other devices might support it soon/now.
But could it be on Android? Even though I still have an iPhone, but it's an iPhone 4.

Scratching since 2010
when green flag clicked
forever
Keep Smiling, Homie
end
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

vacuumfan7072 wrote:

Failord wrote:

But could it be on Android? Even though I still have an iPhone, but it's an iPhone 4.

No idea. It might. All I know is Apple won't allow it, but there's no telling(with me, anyways) if it will do for other brands…