Scratcher
47 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

WNTS
roboguy88
Scratcher
9 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

I know that Scratch is supposed to be a beginner-friendly 2D programming language, but what if there were two versions of Scratch, a 2D and a 3D?
That way, people who are new to programming can use the 2D version. Then, when they are ready for more complex programming, they can move up into the 3D version. That way, you still attract new programmers who, in the same familiar interface, can then move on to make modern games.
Scratch has the best and friendliest interface of any programming language I have ever seen, and I would love to see it put to even greater use, allowing literally a whole other dimension of easy-to-use programming.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Ugghhh….

Please read the sticky “READ THIS BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING”:

8. 3D Scratch
Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to pick up. Adding 3D would make the language extremely complicated, and much more difficult for beginners to understand. If you wish to try a 3D programming language, I recommend trying Alice.

stampcollector
Scratcher
58 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Alice is a different program; a harder way of scratch and is in 3-D. You can also make sprites do twice as much as what you could do for motion on Scratch.

Welcome to Scratch! Interested in learning about the community? Join the Scratch Committee!
Want to know the latest news in what is happening? Go to the Scratch News Channel!
when green flag clicked
forever

say [I LOVE Computers!!]
move (10000000000) steps
end
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

mitchboy wrote:

Please. Read this topic.

cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Another project of MIT, StarLogo TNG, uses 3D ad has a drag-and-drop programming language similar to Scratch. Why not check it out?

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
roboguy88
Scratcher
9 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Yes, I know, but if 3D scratch was a seperate program, then beginners could still use the 2D version.
That is what I am suggesting, because you could (when advanced enough) move on to 3D Scratch.
The Scratch team could even base Scratch 3D off some other already existing Java 3D engine, by modding it so that instead of lines of code, it would have a Scratch-like interface.

Last edited by roboguy88 (Nov. 9, 2013 05:41:25)

PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Just use Alice. I don't see why the Scratch Team would bother to put so much effort into making an entire new program when the current one requires lots of attention as it is currently.

Actually, here's an interesting post from the Scratch Team:

cheddargirl wrote:

Another project of MIT, StarLogo TNG, uses 3D ad has a drag-and-drop programming language similar to Scratch. Why not check it out?

Last edited by PhirripSyrrip (Nov. 9, 2013 09:40:56)

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;You thought I'd get away from you, didn't you?!
roboguy88
Scratcher
9 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Thanks PhirripSyrrip, I'll check out StarLogo.
roboguy88
Scratcher
9 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Wow! Looks great! I just downloaded it onto my mac, and it works really well. Thanks a lot!
I think that maybe it would be still a good idea to have it so that StarLogo TNG projects could be uploaded to the Scratch website. That at least would be pretty cool.
iTweak0r
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

I think the user @Dreamod is making a 3D Scratch program called Z-Cloud. I don't know if they are still working on it.

Specs 1 (main): Safari on MacBook Pro; Late 2008; Core 2 Duo @2.4GHz; 8GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM; Mac OS X 10.10;

Specs 2: Firefox on Lenovo Yoga 13; Core i7 @2.0GHz; 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM;
tri-boots Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS X 10.10, and Ubuntu 14.01 LTS;

All have the latest version of Flash.
fyromaniac1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Jvvg wrote:

8. 3D Scratch
Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to pick up. Adding 3D would make the language extremely complicated, and much more difficult for beginners to understand. If you wish to try a 3D programming language, I recommend trying Alice.

Check out some of the best games made by me!
Mozzi64
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

PLEASE READ THAT STICKY.

Jvvg wrote:
8. 3D Scratch

THE POTATOES, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE
HEELLLLPPP
lol

they-might-be-cats
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

read the sticky.
besides 3d project are not Impossible just hard
scratch342
Scratcher
55 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

I think there should be a 3d editor in the new scratch update. It will be very nice if scratch could make one in the next update. I have been wishing for one of these ever since I started scratch. For example, I have been trying to make 3d super mario galaxy on scratch but I can't do it. For starters, I can't make a 3d mario, I can't make 3d terrains, I can't even make 3d stars. Please scratch, everybody really needs this. If you do and I will make also 3d mario kart and more people will want to have scratch because you can make 3d things. I hope you do. Thanks!

Messi dribbles everyone and scores. Hardly celebrates
Cristiano Ronaldo scores a 30 yard screamer. You can guess what he does
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

READ THIS BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING

jvvg wrote:

8. 3D Scratch
dowcwow
Scratcher
67 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

Whenever you make a new project, it should ask you if you want o make a 3D or 2D game.
when making a new project
ask [would you like to make a 3D game or 2D game?]

dowcwow
Scratcher
67 posts

Scratch 3D AN IDEA

go to(new project)
[/scratchblocks]