Discuss Scratch

puppetadventurer
Scratcher
100+ posts

My OWN GAMING CONSOLE!!!!!!!!

soupoftomato wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

If you're going to be making it based on PC hardware, I'd highly recommend making a full screen program that overlays on Windows or Linux instead of creating a completely new OS. It would give it compatibility with TF2, Minecraft, and some other games (even on Linux), would have better built-in APIs and would probably be more stable.
You could also emulate old games and make an ultimate classic console.

This really just sounds like a custom PC build with controllers.
That's kinda what video game consoles are

soupoftomato
Scratcher
100+ posts

puppetadventurer wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

If you're going to be making it based on PC hardware, I'd highly recommend making a full screen program that overlays on Windows or Linux instead of creating a completely new OS. It would give it compatibility with TF2, Minecraft, and some other games (even on Linux), would have better built-in APIs and would probably be more stable.
You could also emulate old games and make an ultimate classic console.

This really just sounds like a custom PC build with controllers.
That's kinda what video game consoles are
Yeah but he's not having anybody develop specifically for how it's built.

EDIT: Typo.
poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

poopo wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

poopo wrote:

Do you live near a Microcenter? And what's your budget?
No, I dont think i live near microcenter, but I know how I am not good * saving money, so probably, I can save up 1000 dollars in five years just in christmas money. so probably 1400 in the next 5 years
Lol. By then lots of new parts will be out. I can't help you right now unless you give me your current budget.
Not much. This will be a looooong project. I got about 35 bucks
mythbusteranimator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

poemon1 wrote:

mythbusteranimator wrote:

What language for the games?
Probably C++, maybe C.
What's the easiest for you to bring in to the hardware?

(Sorry for bad description )

I've been listening to…
Ogre Battle // Queen // Queen II // Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Metal
Orion // Metallica // Master of Puppets // Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumental
Damage Inc. // Metallica// Master of Puppets // Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Snow (Hey Oh) // Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Snow (Hey Oh) // Soft Rock, Acoustic
Who Wants To Live Forever // Queen // A Kind of Magic // Power Ballad, Soft Rock
I suggest you listen to…
For a influential playlist: Damage Inc and Orion. Both of these songs are part of the album that revolutionized heavy and thrash metal forever.
poopo
Scratcher
100+ posts

poemon1 wrote:

poopo wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

poopo wrote:

No, I dont think i live near microcenter, but I know how I am not good * saving money, so probably, I can save up 1000 dollars in five years just in christmas money. so probably 1400 in the next 5 years
Lol. By then lots of new parts will be out. I can't help you right now unless you give me your current budget.
Here's what you can get: here

I made my profile picture in 2011 when I was 12 and it is by far my greatest artistic achievement.
poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

poopo wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

poopo wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

poopo wrote:

Here's what you can get: here
Ok, but how do I like make it read discs from a cd player for the games? Or is the question ‘Can you make it read discs?’
veggieman001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nothing is permanent.

Last edited by veggieman001 (July 17, 2013 03:15:22)

FirstSkyler1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Although I'm not in any part of this team ('nor am I planning to be) I suggest running Ubuntu 64-bit or using a Raspberry Pi. (If you want to test custom games and stuff, I suggest using an emulator. There's plenty of Pi emulators.)

Last edited by FirstSkyler1 (Dec. 18, 3013 7:45:49)
poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

FirstSkyler1 wrote:

Although I'm not in any part of this team ('nor am I planning to be) I suggest running Ubuntu 64-bit or using a Raspberry Pi. (If you want to test custom games and stuff, I suggest using an emulator. There's plenty of Pi emulators.)
Ok, thanks for your suggestion
Shadow36821
Scratcher
100+ posts

I would recommend a AMD processor.

(insert GIF here)
poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

Shadow36821 wrote:

K thx
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Shadow36821 wrote:

I second this. I'm usually an Intel fan but AMD will suit your needs and will lower your budget. Also, a 1TB SSD is really expensive. First I'd recommend to find out how much space you REALLY need. If all you are doing is gaming, I'd assume your games library would fit on 256GB (especially if some are stored on a disk) so you could double your speed with a RAID 0 combo of two relatively cheap 128GB drives. Otherwise, you could do a small (32GB, 64GB) SSD for the OS and some games, then a TB HDD for everything else, or go for a hybrid drive that has a small SSD to speed up the drive, like this.

Back from hiatus?
poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

16Skittles wrote:

Shadow36821 wrote:

I second this. I'm usually an Intel fan but AMD will suit your needs and will lower your budget. Also, a 1TB SSD is really expensive. First I'd recommend to find out how much space you REALLY need. If all you are doing is gaming, I'd assume your games library would fit on 256GB (especially if some are stored on a disk) so you could double your speed with a RAID 0 combo of two relatively cheap 128GB drives. Otherwise, you could do a small (32GB, 64GB) SSD for the OS and some games, then a TB HDD for everything else, or go for a hybrid drive that has a small SSD to speed up the drive, like this.
Ok, thanks.
poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

BUMP
poopo
Scratcher
100+ posts

I always find that projects die when I start to go too fancy. I really suggest you look into Raspberry Pi and how to program it. At this point you shouldn't worry about disk drives and superfluous stuff like that. Especially since a single drive is half your budget.

I made my profile picture in 2011 when I was 12 and it is by far my greatest artistic achievement.
chocolatepenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

For the OS, try Linux and Wine (Wine's an app). Wine lets Windows apps run on Linux.

poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

chocolatepenguin wrote:

For the OS, try Linux and Wine (Wine's an app). Wine lets Windows apps run on Linux.
Ok, thanks.
chocolatepenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

poemon1 wrote:

chocolatepenguin wrote:

Ok, thanks.
Linux is open-source, and this is the most popular implementation is Ubuntu. I use 12.04, but 13.04:

It can boot up without a keyboard and mouse (learned at STEM club) and it's much easier than coding your own, as you can't access Windows' source code.

16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

poopo wrote:

I always find that projects die when I start to go too fancy. I really suggest you look into Raspberry Pi and how to program it. At this point you shouldn't worry about disk drives and superfluous stuff like that. Especially since a single drive is half your budget.
Yeah, that's a good point. Just because it is somewhat standard at the moment doesn't mean it's the best method. DVD/BluRay probably will be obsolete in the next generation of consoles (PS5 and XBOX… Umm… Two?) in favor of either online marketplaces or USB or SD Card style mediums. Looking ahead, soon both optical and magnetic storage will be obsolete to the consumer market and only remain to service those in markets that really need huge amounts (think petabytes) of storage on the cheap (like datacenters and web servers).

Edit: if we're going distro-war on here I'd put in a recommendation for Fedora or Debian. Debian is the base of Ubuntu and is known for being stable due to its slow update cycle. Fedora is what I use, and is more up to date with two updates a year. If you want something lighter, try CrunchBang (especially if you are going to make your own UI, as its window manager is more lightweight than the others)

Last edited by 16Skittles (June 22, 2013 20:23:29)

Back from hiatus?
poemon1
Scratcher
75 posts

BUMP