like the most popular non-st studios would be even more spammy

king of page

Projects I want people to see:
iiucandyfloss
Scratcher
500+ posts

Option for Studio invite restriction

Malicondi wrote:

Why not make it so you can only send curator invites to people who have chatted in your studio? This would stop spam, and it would prevent people from getting an invite to a studio they don't want to join.
This could be an option inside of account settings as a checkmark box for if you would like to receive all invites, or invites to studios you're a part of.

There are a few issues with this idea, however:

a) Spam isn't really an issue with studio invites as you can't send two invites or more from the same studio to the same user.
b) If someone doesn't want to join a studio, they can simply not accept the invite.
c) How would the servers determine whether someone is a part of a studio?
d) However, this isn't fair for small studios that are looking for members. If someone receives an invite, they can either accept or decline it. They can discover new studios, friends and/or projects this way. It encourages friendship-making and adds a sense of community - after all, we are a community.

Thank you for reading this

credits to @happyha8 for image hosting my forum banner -

Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LP372 wrote:

No support. ‘Trending’ studios would be mostly Scratch's official ones, it would cause massive drops in growth in studio followers and the host's followers, and a lot of people ask on profiles to join so it could cause problems. It could clog up studio comments as everyone asks to join in the studio or sends a random comment just to be invitable
that's why its an option.

post #1000 post #100 i help in the forums post #1 post #500 0 second ninja
I recommend reading jvvg's essay about the scratch team before complaining, as it may change your opinion and provide insight on the topic.

coming soon :)

Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

iiucandyfloss wrote:

There are a few issues with this idea, however:

a) Spam isn't really an issue with studio invites as you can't send two invites or more from the same studio to the same user.
b) If someone doesn't want to join a studio, they can simply not accept the invite.
c) How would the servers determine whether someone is a part of a studio?
d) However, this isn't fair for small studios that are looking for members. If someone receives an invite, they can either accept or decline it. They can discover new studios, friends and/or projects this way. It encourages friendship-making and adds a sense of community - after all, we are a community.
A - Spam is a problem, as many people have bots or just hand invite a large amount of people from random places, most of which don't want to join
B - Many people, including me, dislike the notification of an curator invitation
C - Servers already store all project adding in the studio activity section, and they already store all comments created by individual users
D - That's why its an option, if someone wants to get invites from any studio, they can. The option would be off by default, and they can change it at anytime.

I recommend reading jvvg's essay about the scratch team before complaining, as it may change your opinion and provide insight on the topic.

LP372
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Malicondi wrote:

LP372 wrote:

No support. ‘Trending’ studios would be mostly Scratch's official ones, it would cause massive drops in growth in studio followers and the host's followers, and a lot of people ask on profiles to join so it could cause problems. It could clog up studio comments as everyone asks to join in the studio or sends a random comment just to be invitable
that's why its an option.
yea, but some people use keybord shortcuts and stuff, to add high amounts of people, but a popup may break it

Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LP372 wrote:

yea, but some people use keybord shortcuts and stuff, to add high amounts of people, but a popup may break it
There doesn't have to be a popup, it could simply not send the invite, and sending mass invites to people to get on the trending page of studios violates the Terms of Use, and isn't allowed regardless.

Last edited by Malicondi (March 20, 2024 17:10:00)

LP372
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Malicondi wrote:

LP372 wrote:

There doesn't have to be a popup, it could simply not send the invite, and sending mass invites to people to get on the trending page of studios violates the Terms of Use, and isn't allowed regardless.
what would it be on by default

Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Malicondi wrote:

The option would be off by default, and they can change it at anytime.
“Sorry, you have to wait 60 seconds between posts.”

LP372
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Malicondi wrote:

Malicondi wrote:

Definitely no support, the first studio invite i accepted i had not interacted before, but i have never regretted it.

Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LP372 wrote:

Malicondi wrote:

Definitely no support, the first studio invite i accepted i had not interacted before, but i have never regretted it.
in this case, off would mean that they receive all invites, on would be they don't.
edit: close tags please.

Last edited by Malicondi (March 20, 2024 17:22:19)

LP372
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oh, ok, semi-support, it would reduce spam but i'm not sure if famous studio scratchers would be happy (that includes me)

undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LP372 wrote:

oh, ok, semi-support, it would reduce spam but i'm not sure if famous studio scratchers would be happy (that includes me)
You are a lot of things but you are not a famous scratcher… Also if you don't like this feature then don't turn it on. I often get spammed studio invites, I don't really like it. So it would help me and not affect you in any way.

yes
LP372
Scratcher
1000+ posts

undeterminstic wrote:

LP372 wrote:

You are a lot of things but you are not a famous scratcher… Also if you don't like this feature then don't turn it on. I often get spammed studio invites, I don't really like it. So it would help me and not affect you in any way.
i do have about 390 follows

CST1229
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I felt like making a mockup.

(I'd define “interacted with” as “followed, commented or added projects to the studio”)

Last edited by CST1229 (March 20, 2024 18:01:33)

This is a signature. It's a piece of text that appears below every post I write. Click here to learn more, including how to make your own.
RIP assets image hosting. 2013?-2023

Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CST1229 wrote:

I felt like making a mockup.

(I'd define “interacted with” as “followed, commented or added projects to the studio”)
i forgot about following studios, i'll add to op.

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

no it’s inconvenient support ONLY if it’s optional to users.

Last edited by starlightsparker (March 20, 2024 18:19:27)

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ they.them !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Malicondi uses bump! … It's not very effective…

LP372
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Malicondi wrote:

Malicondi uses bump! … It's not very effective…
LP372 removes bump..

Malicondi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

Quantum1993
Scratcher
100+ posts

Malicondi wrote:

Why not make it so you can only send curator invites to people who have interacted in your studio? This would stop spam, and it would prevent people from getting an invite to a studio they don't want to join.
Part of a studio/interacting would be classified as following, commenting in, or adding a project to a studio.
This could be an option inside of account settings as a checkmark box for if you would like to receive all invites, or invites to studios you're a part of, and it would be off by default and can be changed at any time.
mockup:

mockup by: CST1229

on mobile so I'm currently unable to search for a dupe.
I like the idea of preventing studio invite spam, but what if my friend wants to join, and they haven't interacted in the studio?

Manager of Quantum Games and Quantum Software
Are you an experienced Scratcher? Join the Jurassic Park: Security Shift Development Team at https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/34523787