ave, she/they
smalltoe
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc megathread ➷ march 2024

ave's leader app answers—text version
(2054 words total)

1 ) about me

hello! :wave: i’m ave, my pronouns are she/they, and i live in the wonderful land of middle-earth (well, new zealand, but that’s essentially the same thing—meaning my time zone is new zealand standard time). i love to write, and especially enjoy building my own sci-fi or fantasy worlds and magic systems. i also enjoy drawing—and just being creative in general!
when i’m not writing, working on my various creative projects, or thinking up ideas for brand new ones, i usually have my nose in my book. my current o̶b̶s̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ favourites are six of crows and the grishaverse (as always) and the these violent delights duology—and i’m currently reading the reappearance of rachel price. i also love the lord of the rings—both books and movies—if you couldn’t already tell
i am also a horse girl and a theatre kid :zany: i’ve done horse riding for two and a half years :horse: and i enjoy both watching and performing musical theatre—my favourite musical is hamilton (<33) and i will not hesitate to endlessly spam you with lyrics in capslock >) i’m also going to see hadestown in london later this year, which i’m very excited for :star_struck:
and, of course, i love dogs!! i have an adorably unhinged eleven-month-old border collie puppy, who i’ve drawn here <33
outside of hobbies—i’m an enthusiastic person who loves trying new things, talking to people and having fun. i enjoy anything creative, and there’s nothing i love more than weaving my random ideas and messy brainstorms into fleshed-out concepts, storylines, or worlds—with that feeling of everything coming together into something i’m proud of.
aaaaand like many other swcers, i very much enjoy chaos >)

2 ) experience

i’ve been a part of the wonderful swc community for nine sessions now—

● july 2021, horror carnival, camper
● november 2021, real-fi film set, camper
● march 2022, poetry wilds, camper
● july 2022, myth maze, camper
● november 2022, fantasy steampunk sanctuary, co-led with the wonderful moonlit, moss and elle
● march 2023, dystopian dynasty, camper
● july 2023, steampunk streets of the scorned, mbc member, co-led with the incredible sun
● november 2023, fantasy where no one goes, camper
● march 2024, myth the odyssey, writing competition judge, camper

both times i’ve co-lead, i’ve hugely enjoyed it—and each time, i learned a lot, too. not only did i learn about how (co)leading and creating a swc cabin works, i also learned about teamwork, collaboration, and working with others. i learned how to better express my ideas and thoughts to other people, and how to bring these ideas to reality. and through co-leading, i’ve gotten a lot more comfortable with leadership and taking responsibility.
i have had very little leadership experience outside of swc—i don’t tend to enjoy taking leadership roles irl. i always contribute my ideas and build off others’ in things like group projects, but i do prefer to let other people make the decisions and take the lead.
however, swc has given me the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and try leadership roles—and, slightly surprisingly, i have very much enjoyed it. i think it’s because i love the low-stress environment and supportive community of swc—as well as how it allows me to spend time doing things i love, such as writing and being creative.
although i am certainly not a natural leader, i’m prepared and eager to try, and to give it my absolute all, for this upcoming session.

as for experience in writing, i’ve been writing stories almost ever since i could hold a pen. creative writing is a big part of my life, and myself. some of my writing projects outside of swc include entering irl writing competitions, writing short stories and a novella, and most recently, worldbuilding and planning for a novel that i hope to write in the future.

3 ) cabin preferences

my first preference would be to lead dystopian—i have an idea that’s been brewing in my head for a while that i’d love to bring to a swc cabin. with a bit of tweaking, this idea would also work for sci-fi and fantasy.
if i’m not chosen as a leader, i’d love to co-lead any cabin genre at all! i’d probably be able to think of ideas easiest for fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian and mystery as those are the genres i usually write in, but i’d be totally happy for any other genre as well.
however, i’d prefer not to co/lead the cabin that will not win, as i do enjoy the competitive aspect of swc.

4 ) excerpt

my excerpt—my swc writing comp entry from november ‘23—can be found here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/932820528/

5 ) time dedication

● may:
i’m currently participating in a dance/drama show, so i’ll be fairly busy with rehearsals until the 28th of may. rehearsals happen three days a week, but i’ll still be able to dedicate a few hours to swc on monday afternoons, friday afternoons, saturday afternoons, and sunday mornings. on tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays, i should still be able to spend at least half an hour on swc.

● june:
as far as i know, i don’t have anything on in june, apart from the usual things—horse riding on thursdays and saturdays, musical theatre on wednesdays. i’ll also have school, which i will of course prioritise over swc, especially since i might have a few important assessments i’ll need to work on at home. still, i’ll be able to dedicate quite a lot of my time to cabin planning—at least an hour on most schooldays, a few hours on saturday, and pretty much all of sunday.

● july:
for two weeks of july, i’ll have school holidays/break—i might (not confirmed yet) be participating in a musical theatre holiday programme, which means for five days (if this is definitely happening, i’ll provide the exact dates) i won’t be able to spend much time on swc at all, due to full day rehearsals—i’ll be able to check in for ten minutes to half an hour each day, but probably nothing more than that. i’ll make sure to discuss and prepare for this with others in my cabin’s leading team.
however, in the other week of the holidays, i’ll be very active—able to dedicate most of every day to swc. i’ll spend this time talking to and bonding with campers as well as writing and doing the swc activities like dailies and weeklies.
i’ll also be decently active in the rest of july—i’ll have school and my usual after-school activities, but nothing else. although i will prioritise school and irl activities, i’m willing and eager to dedicate a large amount of my free time to swc )

6 ) time management—skills and shortcomings

beginning with skills! i’m good at prioritising, and making—as well as sticking to—schedules that ensure i’ll be able to finish all of my tasks to a high standard before their deadlines. with these schedules, i make sure that i always get a good amount of sleep—and if i do stay up late (:sweat_smile, it’s always to finish my book rather than to finish schoolwork or something for swc. on the topic of books, i also try my best to work breaks and time for myself into my schedules (for example, reading every day). this allows me to have a good balance between schoolwork, irl activities (such as rehearsals), hobbies, personal projects, and swc.
i am also very committed—if i start something, i will be determined to finish it to a high standard. this means that it’s extremely rare for me to back out of things i’ve signed up for or said i would do.
as for shortcomings, i’d say my biggest flaw when it comes to time management is that if i am behind on my schedule (or it looks like i could end up behind) i often tend to get overwhelmed and stressed. this means that i start to no longer enjoy the things i’m doing, and finish them to a lower standard. this can also happen when i have a large amount of work to do—and when i’m feeling this way, i can become paralysed and often procrastinate with meaningless things instead of working at all. i can also tend to take too much on—i often want to do too many things at once, or i come up with ideas that are too ambitious than i realistically have time for.
but i can overcome this, and i have before—as proven by the fact that this leader app is shared :zany:

7 ) collaboration—strengths and weaknesses

i genuinely enjoy working with others, and because of this i usually tend to bring a fun, positive and lighthearted vibe to collaboration and discussion. i try to treat those i’m working with not just as collaborators or coworkers but as friends <33 i know that i personally always work best when i’m enjoying myself—on a leading team, i’d bring an enthusiastic and friendly attitude to try to create this type of environment and enjoyable teamwork for everyone. the flip side of this is that i sometimes might come off as a little too informal.
i am also devoted, and i’m always determined to make my creative projects—including anything swc-related—turn out the best they can possibly be (although i try not to be a perfectionist :sweat_smile. i have a good work ethic and hold myself to a high standard—i am also very goal-oriented, and i can successfully motivate myself towards my goals i’m reliable, as i always ensure that i finish projects to a high standard, before any deadlines—i do not give up easily. however, sometimes i get so caught up in planning the perfect idea that i don’t end up with enough time to pull it off, and have to compromise on quality to get whatever i’m working on finished on time. i tend to overcomplicate things, especially during the planning/idea stage, and this leads to unrealistic ideas and plans that don’t end up working as well as i’d like them to. i try to manage this by prioritising the necessary parts of whatever i’m working on, and saving extra things (such as the art for this leader app) until the end, making sure i only work on those once i’ve finished everything else. i also often plan simplified versions of my ideas, in case my initial complicated idea doesn’t work out.

8 ) leader quality

one quality that i always value in a leader is a passion for what they do. a leader’s passion and enthusiasm should be infectious—their love for what they’re doing should shine through until everyone around them can’t help but get caught up in the excitement themselves. this is exactly what swept me up into swc in the first place—and i hope to foster this environment for others, to give them incredible experiences like mine.
i have a passion for swc, writing, and all things creative—and as a co/leader, i’d bring this quality into everything i do. i’d have an enthusiastic attitude towards co/leading, and would endeavour to create an exciting yet warm and welcoming cabin community—and i’d hope that this kind of environment, with its passion and enthusiasm, could spark a similar passion in others.

9 ) cabin atmosphere

i aim to create:
a community-focused cabin, placing emphasis on having fun and making friends. This would include light-hearted competition, with campers participating in a simple but immersive storyline.
(193 characters)

10 ) checkboxes

a.
i am applying for both leader and co-leader. (yes!)
i am applying only for co-leader. (no)
i’m willing to share a promotional project for swc. (no; unfortunately, i’m not sure if i’ll have time to make a promotional project this session )

b.
i can—and will make sure to—complete all of the leadership responsibilities listed in the faq )

c.
in the event that i know i will become inactive—or considerably less active—for a significant length of time, i will make sure to tell the hosts, and let the others on the leading team know as far in advance as i can, so we can discuss solutions and plan ahead as a group.
if a fellow leader unexpectedly becomes inactive, i will let the hosts know, and talk about what to do next with the rest of the leading team. this could end up in taking on a new co-leader, or splitting the inactive co/leader’s responsibilities between us.

ave, she/they
-BookDragon-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hobby Scrapbook–Mouse's SWC Co-Leader Application (text version)
2837 words (including the conclusion)

About Me

Hey! I’m Skyler (you can call me Mouse(y) as well, whichever you prefer <33), a silly, creative teen. I’m fine with any pronouns you choose to use for me, and you’ll find me in the majestic realm of CST!
When I’m not on Scratch, I’m usually very busy; my hobbies include drawing, singing/songwriting, crafting, reading, playing games, storytelling, and–of course–writing!
Stories–in any form–have always meant so much to me and have a special place in my heart. They’re magical–they transport you to other worlds, bring awareness to important issues, and show you a new perspective. Aside from my own stories, I have many favorites! My favorite book series are Artemis Fowl and Six of Crows–if you haven’t read them yet, I’d definitely recommend them! I also love The Bone Spindle and The Lunar Chronicles, and I’m currently reading Lord of the Rings and Masks of Faded Dreams (which I highly recommend :0) <33 My favorite movies are Nimona, Raya and the Last Dragon, the Star Wars movies, and the How to Train Your Dragon movies ;D My favorite tv shows are the Star Wars ones, especially Rebels at the moment <33
Music is also a huge part of my life and always has been, and I love a variety of music, mainly in the genres of Pop and Rock (and their subgenres!). My current favorite songs include Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay, Tie Me Up by Raynes, and The World That I Love Hates Me by Once Monsters! My favorite artists include The Score, Once Monsters, OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Adam Lambert, and Raynes (and lots more ofc, but you get the idea ;D)!!
In terms of my own stories, I’ve been writing for many years and telling myself stories at night for as long as I can remember! The first story I was determined to publish was started in May of 2021, and it was more than 15k words long! Since then I also wrote a ~20k word WIP with my bestie, and this past November I successfully completed NaNoWriMo with a 50k word novel draft! I’ve been working on that novel since then, and I’m hoping to get it published by the time the next school year starts ;D
SWC came into my life in 2022, and ever since I signed up as a backup camper that March, my life has changed for the better <33 Through SWC I’ve met and worked alongside incredible people, I’ve written more than I ever thought I could, and I’ve forged amazing, laying friendships with some of the best people I’ve ever met. I’ve improved my leadership skills, my communication skills, and overall become a better person because of this online writing camp. SWC and the people in it mean the world to me, and I’m looking forward to participating in it for many years to come <33

Experience
This July will be my 8th session of SWC, and my 5th time applying for a leadership position :0 I’ve participated in every session since March 2022, and been as active as I can be in every session since November 2022, checking in almost every day, exceeding my word count goals, and adoring each session! In total, I’ve been a camper three times, a co-leader twice, a leader twice, and I’ve been on the memory book committee twice:
March 2022 - Real-Fi - Backup Camper
July 2022 - Script - Backup Camper
November 2022 - Hi-Fi - Camper
March 2023 - Horror - Co-Leader, MBC member
July 2023 - Action - Co-Leader
November 2023 - Sci-Fi - Leader, MBC member
March 2024 - Dystopian - Leader

I’ve also had various roles in many other camps on scratch. In total, I’ve participated in 23 sessions (including my SWC sessions), and out of those sessions I’ve been a camper 15 times, a co-leader twice, a leader 6 times, (and I still have no idea what I’m doing!! /j) and I’m currently hosting two camps–Camp Jewel Peak and Mangoes and Mayhem Arson Prompts ;D
I also run Mangoes & Mayhem (the SWC podcast ;D) with Bella, which involves a lot of organizing and planning.
Outside of Scratch, I’m a very active person in my area! I volunteer at multiple places, I’ve organized and run several large (100+ people) events, babysat chaotic children, and I’m in Girl Scouts and Scouts BSA, which both have a heavy focus on building leadership skills!
As for writing, as I mentioned above I’ve been writing for many many years (at this point I don’t even remember when I started XD), and recently I’ve developed some semblance of a writing style!! I adore experimenting in many different genres and I do so constantly, I’ve taken many high-level writing classes (online and off) and attended fun classes by published authors in my area about everything from plot to dialogue to tension! I’ve also entered my writing in multiple writing competitions on and off scratch, and I’m currently working on editing the 50k word novel I finished last November! <33

Cabin Preferences
I would love the chance to co-lead any cabin!! Each one is beautiful and unique, and I have ideas for all of them <33
That said, the cabins I would like to lead the most would be (in no order): Adventure, Fantasy, Thriller, Horror, Myth, Utopian, Tragedy, Steampunk and Fairy Tales!!! (and of course Sci-Fi and Dystopian, but since I’ve most recently led them, they’re slightly less wanted than the ones mentioned above–and it would be fun to expand my cabingo ;D)
I have ideas for all of them, but since I’m only applying for co, I’ll only go over them briefly–but if you like an idea, I’d be happy to elaborate <33
Adventure: Adventure Caves, Adventure Treasure Hunt–Campers are searching for a lost magical relic, solving riddles on the way
Fantasy: Campers raise dragons by completing in-cabin activities!!!
Thriller, Horror, and Tragedy: I have plenty of individual ideas for these, but I’d really enjoy something with ghosts for all three >;D
Myth: Myth Archivists–campers are rediscovering a lost empire
Utopian: A corrupted utopia ;D or campers are protecting their utopia from an evil threat?
Steampunk: Building steampunk dragons!!!!!
Fairy Tales: The campers are protecting their realm from evil monsters and then halfway through the session a leader “falls to the darkness” :00
As for TCTWNW, I would be open to co-leading it, however, I’d rather co-lead a competitive cabin since I’m a very competitive person and I adore the competitive aspect of SWC <33

Excerpt

Misty walked down the long dark passageway of the cave, gazing at the sharp spikes of the stalagmites and stalactites and the glowing red gems in the wall that were lighting her path. Despite the dark and gloomy atmosphere of the cave, she could smell something sweet up ahead. She slowed her footsteps as she came to a blank section of the cave wall, which she pressed her hand against. It swung open silently, revealing a room. It was clearly set up for living in, and its occupant had their back to her.
“Cookies?”
Misty guessed, making the figure jump. They whirled around at her. Their face was blurry, and today their hair was black and red, tied back in a messy bun.
“Misty! You aren’t supposed to be here.”
Misty shrugged.
“Says who?”
“Says me! You said you wouldn’t be back for a few days!”
Misty glanced away, a shadow crossing her face.
“Plans change.”
The figure said nothing in reply, turning back to whatever they were doing.
“Are you really making cookies?”
Misty asked, coming closer.
“Yes. Go away.”
“Hmm… you do have the vibes of someone who would be good at making cookies,” Misty said thoughtfully. The figure turned back to her, angry exasperation on their face.
“I’m a demon, Misty. How does that give you good at making cookies vibes??”
Misty smiled.
“You’re prickly, but you can’t hide the cracks in your dark shell. I’ve seen you be nice, and you also critiqued the party food that one time with the air of someone who knew what it should’ve tasted like.”
“The party food that one time! You’re so specific!”
Misty laughed.
“I’ve always been so specific. What kind of cookies are you making?” She asked as she walked closer, trying to peer over the demon’s shoulder.
“Chocolate chip. Go away, Misty.”
“Ooooo chocolate chip is my favorite!!” Misty grinned, “How did you know?”
“I didn’t intend-”
“Joke. It was a joke. I know you’d never make them if you knew they were my favorite, which is why I’ve gotta enjoy them now, while I can,” She said, grabbing a raw cookie from the nearest tray. The demon watched her eat the raw dough with an annoyed expression.
“You could get sick from eating raw dough, you know.”
“I know,” Misty said through a mouthful of cookie, “But it’s worth it!” Before the demon could stop her, she jammed another cookie into her mouth.
“You horrify me.”
The demon muttered.
“I’ll take that as a compliment!”
Misty said cheerfully. The demon rolled their eyes.
“Whatever. Stop eating raw cookies and I’ll give you an actually baked one.”
Misty grinned, sitting down at the small worn table.
“Offer accepted. I will wait here to be fed cookies.”
The figure laughed.
“This is a one-time thing, by the way.”
“I’ll let you think that,” Misty said innocently, accepting a baked cookie from the demon.

Time Dedication

I will be able to dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to SWC, and even more time towards writing! However, I will not be the most consistently active co-leader in late June. Aside from my usual daily activities (like voice lessons, Scout meetings, other general meetings, volunteering, plus all the random activities we do), I will be going to summer camp from June 16th to the 28th. I’ll have my phone, so I’ll most likely be able to check messages and respond to the important ones, but my main focus will be enjoying myself at camp and paying attention to the training (it’s a CIT (Counselor In Training) camp, so I’ll be learning how to properly wrangle irl campers ;D) I’ll also most likely have a weekend camp (with access to my phone) the third weekend of July.
I don’t expect anything else to come up that will impact my activity, but if it does, I’ll make sure to notify my leadership team and the hosts <33

Time Management

I’ve improved a lot in managing time, I’ve been actively working to improve… and I can definitely say I have. I’m not the best at time management, but I’m much better than I used to be <33
I have a few different strengths with time management, but the ones I’ve improved on the most are my organization skills and my productivity.
Starting off with organization skills! I am not the most organized, but when I have a lot to do and a deadline to do it, I make a list so I don’t forget anything and so I can keep track of what I have done/what’s left to do, checking off boxes throughout the day as I complete my tasks. This method really works for me and almost always helps me get everything done! <33
As for productivity, I’ve really worked to lower the amount it takes to do something while making sure it’s done well–essentially, I’ve tried to limit time spent procrastinating and up time spent productively, and I’ve been mostly successful in doing so! I can usually get myself excited to do a task and reward myself upon its completion, leading to more things checked off my to-do list at the end of the day <33
However, I’m definitely not perfect, and I constantly find myself falling prey to the Dreaded Enemy of Writers: Procrastination. I procrastinate. A lot. We’re surrounded by so, so many distractions, and I struggle to block them all out. In the past, I’ve gotten distracted and procrastinated on tasks for hours, especially if I didn’t want to do said tasks. I’ve been working on this a lot, and I’ll notice when I’m distracted and get back on track with things anywhere from taking a short break from screens and returning to the task, or even just turning on music. While I haven’t stopped procrastinating, I’ve certainly been doing it a lot less and I don’t usually have to rush for deadlines.
Another one of my biggest weaknesses is overestimating myself. I’ll take on a bunch of tasks and struggle to get them all done while still prioritizing life and balancing all my other commitments, pretending I’m making progress on them and that everything’s fine until it becomes clear that it isn’t. I’ve worked on fixing this two ways: first, I always make an effort not to take on too many tasks, and complete the ones I do take on before taking on more, and second, by asking for help. More often than not, whoever you’re working with will easily be able to assist, and the task will be completed with minimal stress for everyone <33

Working With Others

I’m an extremely extroverted person, and I love working with others. It’s one of the main reasons I keep applying to co/lead in SWC! Each person on a team is important, brings a unique perspective, and incredible ideas to the table! A team setting is usually a very fun place to be in <33 I have many strengths when it comes to working with others, but I’ll only list the ones I think are most important and/or have improved on the most.
My first strength is whatever situation I’m in, I do my best to create a friendly, welcoming, and inclusive atmosphere where everyone feels comfortable sharing their ideas, is heard, and is valued equally! I try to help make sure that they feel important and that they’re contributing to the whole of the project. I also do my best to always ask for opinions–never plowing ahead without running it by the team and doing my best to get some feedback first–and I try to be as friendly and kind as I can be, never being too pushy or pressuring.
As I mentioned before, I’m also very extroverted, so talking to people comes with ease, and communication is crucial in a team setting. I’ll happily strike up a conversation with anyone (online, in person, on the leadership team, a camper, a random person–), and I love just talking to people and building connections. I try to be as friendly, silly, approachable, and as much of myself as I can be, and I’ll always lend an ear to anyone who needs it <33
Another thing that can be considered a strength or a weakness depending on the situation is that I love combining ideas; taking everyone’s suggestions and making them into something that everyone contributed to and everyone’s excited about! However, this can sometimes cause a team to end up without a clear plan, which leads to my second and biggest weakness: saying no to people’s ideas. At some point, (especially when you’re a leader of a cabin), you have to tell someone no, usually because their idea isn’t possible in the timeframe you have, or if it doesn’t go with the theme of the cabin at all. When someone’s really excited about their idea–and us passionate SWCers usually are–saying no is incredibly hard for me </33
One final weakness is my perfectionism, which I’ve worked on a lot, especially recently, and I can definitely say that this isn’t a big issue anymore, but of course it does pop up a few times, leading to unnecessary stress and things taking longer than they need to, or me being tempted to re-do someone else’s work when it doesn’t fit the ‘perfect’ version I have in my head.
All of these–strengths and weaknesses–I’ve been working to improve on in a variety of ways, and I look forward to continuing to do so throughout the session and in the future! <33

One Quality

There are so many things a good leader should be, but I think one of the most important qualities would be passion. If a leader is passionate, it shows. The work they complete is higher quality, and their passion reflects onto their team, making the team work better and in this case, the campers enjoy the experience more.
I always try to embody this trait no matter what I’m doing, giving 150% effort and making sure everyone is having fun and is able to complete the tasks they are given. SWC is not hard at all to be passionate about, and I always make it a priority in my life. I will embody this trait by purely enjoying myself and giving as much effort as possible into the things I do, and I will always continue to do so, no matter what I’m doing <33

Cabin Atmosphere

A fun, engaging cabin with a dynamic storyline, a focus on bonding, inside jokes, forging lasting friendships, and a competitive edge– will be a place you’ll never forget!

(178 characters)

Checkboxes

10A:
I am applying for both leader and co-leader
I am applying only for co-leader
I am willing to share a promotional project for SWC

10B:
I can complete all the responsibilities <33

10C:

In the event of inactivity by someone on the leadership team, I’ll discuss with my cabin’s leadership team about how to move forward–either by dividing up their responsibilities or by asking the hosts about getting a new co. In case of my own inactivity, I’ll let the hosts and my leadership team know that I’m going inactive, how long I’ll be inactive, and if I’ll still be able to complete my responsibilities or if I’ll need to drop out. <33

Conclusion
Writers create entire worlds from words on a page, and yet I can’t seem the ones to describe how much SWC means to me.
SWC and it’s crazy community of chaotic writers–from the campers to the leaders to the hosts to the gHosts–is the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time. Everyone in it is so vastly different–different lives, different timezones, different countries–and yet everyone’s working together and contributing to SWC in their own unique way, and that’s what makes it so special.
I’m so happy I’ve been able to participate in SWC as long as I have, and I plan to continue to do so for a long time–not only for myself but also for the chance to make someone else’s experience as incredible as mine is <33
I’ve learned so much through this camp, not only about writing, but also about leadership, graphic design, and how to better collaborate with others. When I first applied for leader, I had many flaws with time management and working with others, and through SWC I’ve learned ways to improve–and in some cases, completely eliminate!–my weaknesses, and it had made me a much better leader.
SWC has also brought some of the most wonderful, amazing, and inspiring people into my life, and most of them I would have never met otherwise. I’ve created beautiful friendships with people who are so cool I’m genuinely amazed by them every day, I’ve created chaos that I’ll never forget, and I’ve made some truly amazing memories.
I don’t know where I’d be without SWC. It is so much of who I am today. My novel wouldn’t even be a thing without it! It means the world to me, and I would absolutely cherish the opportunity to co-lead another amazing cabin in this amazing camp! No matter what role I’m in, I’m looking forward to another incredible session, and I can’t wait to see what wonderful chaos awaits us this time <33

Last edited by -BookDragon- (May 17, 2024 23:21:07)

Mouse(y), any/all

#GothicFTW!
-NightGlow-
Scratcher
500+ posts

Alana's Leader App Answers
word count - 2673

About Me:
Hi there! I’m Alana (she/her), an avid artist who resides in the (b)EST time zone. Though some seem to think I’m a banana, I assure you I’m not hehe (though we’ll leave that decision to this session’s cabin lineup ;D). As an ENFJ-T, I’m always on the lookout for new opportunities to pursue my interests and grow as an individual. If you know me, you know that music and dance are practically my life and soul. They have been a part of my life for such a long time that I honestly can’t imagine my life without them.

I was always an energetic kid when I was younger, and I would like to think I still am in some sense! That being said, I started dancing at the age of three, and since then, I have never looked back. To this day I still feel like it’s one of the best decisions I have ever made. Coming to music, I’ve always considered it to be a huge side passion in my life. I feel like music helps me experiment with the artistic side of my personality - it’s helped me overcome a lot of difficult challenges in my life, so I know that it’s something that I can always come back to.

Apart from dance and music, some of my other interests include: graphic design, participating in STEM-related activities, coding, scrapbooking, watercolor painting. Like a handful of other SWC-ers, I can often be seen reading a good book in my free time! Some of my favorites being “A Wish in the Dark”, “The War that Saved My Life”, “Song of Achilles”, “A Song Called Home”, and “I Fell in Love With Hope”. Since I typically read in these genres, my writing also tends to be in genres of Fantasy, Hi-Fi, Real-Fi, Mystery, and Sci-Fi (though I’m always interested in experimenting with something new!).

Some other things about me
Favorite color combo: blush pink, rose gold, black, and white (and generally pastel shades <3)
Favorite subject: Math
Favorite cuisines: Italian, Indian, Mediterranean, Thai, Mexican, Afghan, Chinese
Go-to desserts: Cheesecakes, tarts, and cupcakes!
Favorite ice cream flavor: Cookies n’ Cream

Previous Participation:
This upcoming session in July 2024 will mark my 6th session of SWC - the other sessions I’ve participated in being:

November 2022: Naan-Fi Breadhouse
Led by: Daisy (@mydoggiedaisy), Birdi (@Bellevue91), and Sophie (@i_like_kotlc)
Role: Camper

March 2023: Non-Fi Fossil Dig
Co-led with: Finley (@essayist), and Waterfall (@129waterfall)
Role: Leader

July 2023: War Between Two ❃ Myth
Co-led with: Wren (@krizpii)

November 2023: Script Misfits
Co-led with: Recca (@27coding_crazy), and Indigo (@koolkatz38)

March 2024: Trapped in a Fairy Tale
Co-led with: Sienna (@snuggles0426), and Amethyst (@Amethyst-animation)

Outside of SWC, I’m always looking for new avenues to work on my leadership skills - whether that be within a classroom setting, leading an exec team, or helping out with school events. I’ve really been working on my leadership skills these past few years by understanding what leadership as a role means to me. I have actively been involved in volunteering at summer camps while also being a part of the youth committee in a non-profit organization that I like to spend my time with. By getting involved in these activities, I’ve been able to encourage everyone to share their voice while maintaining a sense of direction within the team <3

Dedication:
During the month of July, I will be on summer break, meaning that I will have more time to contribute to SWC and my cabin. Although I will be taking a summer course in July, that should not have a great impact on my activity. I will, however, be amidst exam season in June, which might have a slight influence on my activity. Though that being said, my extracurriculars are also beginning to wrap up as of now, so I should be able to contribute at least 2 - 3 hours to SWC on weekdays (and significantly more on weekends unless I have any other plans).

I will also be traveling out of the country on July 26, though I will take the appropriate measures in order to ensure that my cabin continues to run smoothly. With this in mind, I will make it a point to complete all my assigned tasks (both within my cabin and other SWC roles) before leaving. Post July 26, I will still have a device to continue contributing to SWC, but I will not be able to be online during my time at the airport and such (to my knowledge, I should be able log back online on the 27th or 28th).

Above all, I understand that life > SWC and will definitely notify my leaders if I ever need to take a break due to something that is impacting my life IRL or if I am going to experience any form of inactivity. I believe that communication is key in any leadership team, which is why I will also ensure that I let my campers and (co)leaders know of any plans that I have that may limit my activity. In such a way, I hope to plan ahead to make sure that everyone has an amazing session filled with unforgettable memories <3

Genres:
For the upcoming session of SWC, I would honestly be open to leading any cabins in the lineup. At the end of the day, my main goal is to share my passion of writing with others by creating memorable experiences, and I believe that I can achieve this with any cabin genre! There are definitely some cabins I would prefer/not prefer to lead, but this aside, I’m really hoping to experiment with a genre that I haven’t really worked with before.

This session, my first cabin preference is a tie between both Bi-Fi and Magical Realism (I’ll leave that decision up to the hosties hehe ;D). Both cabins are focused on both lore and in-cabin activities to help campers gain more confidence in their writing while also building a welcoming atmosphere in which everyone can have fun. My goal in July is to really focus on that bonding aspect of a cabin to help create a fun experience.

Bi-Fi Minion Mayhem
As part of Gru’s newest experiment, all of campers are chosen to be test subjects
In the lab, they are converted to minions that unlock special abilities to fight against evil
Working alongside Gru and Lucy, the minions (campers) help to take down Gru’s worst nemesis
Since Despicable Me 4 is coming out on July 3rd, I was planning to have some in-cabin activities/watch party (scavenger hunt) related games and events

The Boba Tavern: Magical Realism
Located on the streets of Diagon Alley, The Boba Tavern is a minimalistic bubble tea shop
Though, they are definitely not what they seem to be on the outside! Here every camper gets to channel their inner animagus by having the ability to shapeshift into a bubble tea-themed animal (powers and other events are unlocked as the session progresses)
I was thinking of incorporating certain aspects from some of my past cabins (smoothie orders, changing scenes, and cabin-wide scavenger hunts for clues!)

There are no cabins that I would “not like to lead” this session…Although this is true, if possible, I would prefer not lead Non-Fi, Myth, Script, or Fairy Tales as these are cabins that I’ve led in the past, and would like to see all the amazing ideas someone else cabin bring to these genres <3

Cabin theme ideas:
- Magical Realism: The Boba Tavern
- Bi-Fi Minion Mania
- Fan-Fi: Battle of the Bands
- Mystery: The Ice Kingdom
- Folklore: Vanishing Tales
- Hi-Fi: Fallen Ruins
- Real-Fi: Money Heist
- Tragedy: Forgotten Heir

As for TCTWNW, I would prefer to stick with a competitive based cabin this session, as it’s one of the aspects I look forward to in SWC.

Collaboration:
Some of my strengths in collaboration are…
- Ability to listen to others and take their ideas into consideration: When working in a group project, I always try my best to listen to others to hear what they have to say. BIn doing this, I hope to create a safe environment where everyone can feel comfortable sharing their ideas - when people have a fear of their ideas constantly being “shot down”, they will be less likely to share what they have to say. I’ve definitely learned this the hard way hehe.. But I now know that everyone has something valuable to contribute and that it is vital to ensure that everyone feels like their voice is heard. I often encourage people to share their own ideas before deciding on something so that we can hear all the different perspectives, and come up with something new and original. In such a way, we can create a product that everyone is satisfied with!

- Working well with anyone (for the most part <3): I find that I can manage to collaborate with anyone - whether they’re one of my closest friends, or perhaps someone I don’t get along with as much, I always put those issues aside and ensure that it does not impact the project. A team member is a team member at the end of the day, and I want to ensure that all ideas are valued equally - I am not going to choose one thought over another just because someone’s my friend. My goal is to help everyone have a fun time, and to do that, yes, at times I’ll need to put aside my differences with people and still collaborate. By showing people that what they have to say matters, I hope to make more lasting friendships with both new and old friends <3

Now coming to some weaknesses:
- Getting a bit annoyed if things aren’t carried out as I envision them: For all of my projects, I always carry a vision that I’d like to follow through with. I’ll assign tasks to people based on their interests, but I do sometimes worry that it will be of “lesser” quality than I had envisioned. Obviously, this is not true, because people put in a lot of effort into what they do <3 This being said, I’ve come to accept that everyone has their own way of doing things, and the outcome is not always going to end up how I envisioned - but that’s ok. Similar to how I prefer things a certain way, someone else may want it another - and as a leader, it is by job to understand and respect that ^^ (which does also include speaking out so that we can collectively solve and problems before they become bigger issues)

Assets I will bring to the leadership team:
- Adaptability/creativity: These two qualities definitely go hand in hand - there are always going to be times when things don’t work out, and you need to be able to adapt. I have done that a lot of times whether it be for overambitious leader apps (sound familiar ;D) or school projects - the truth is, I’ve come to realize just how important it is to be able to think quickly on your feet. Yes, things happen (and unfortunately procrastination exists <3), but in the long run, if something doesn’t work out, I like to try to think of an ingenuitive way to solve the problem. In these cases I try combining ideas, or simplifying some things to make the goal reachable for everyone. Whenever I start a project, I also put some backup plans into place (as well as some “good-to-adds”) that are just there in case something unexpected happens. Life is unpredictable, and I understand that - that’s why I believe being able to adapt is a valuable asset in the leadership team.

Time Management:
Strengths:
- Keeping an organized schedule: One of my biggest strengths is keeping an organized schedule, something that I’ve been trying to upkeep for the past few years. Creating to-do lists has kind of become second nature to me, and I find that making them also gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can “check something off”. Although obstacles will come up from time to time, I try my best to plan accordingly to ensure that nothing gets negatively impacted

- Thinking quickly on my feet: Life is pretty much unpredictable, one thing everything will seem fine, but the next day you’ll be flooded with assignments. I’ve come to learn that there’s only so much you can do to stay prepared, which is why I value my ability to adapt and think quickly on my feet. When working on any project, I like to leave all the brainstormed ideas together just in case a backup needs to come in place.

Weaknesses:
- Need for perfection (and taking too much): As a proud perfectionist, I kind of have a vision for how I’d like everything to be - and sometimes these visions are very unrealistic. Even for the simplest things, I tend to overcomplicate things from time to time, which isn’t really the best idea. Due to this, I sometimes turn even the simplest tasks into these huge projects, which cause me to stress out over something that might not matter as much. I think that this is probably because I set a really high bar for myself and keep wanting to push above that. Although it does help me grow as a person, I find that it’s not really the best method to do so. Instead, I’ve tried compromising on certain things to ensure that I can go for “bigger” ideas but still keep them realistic based on the time I have available on my schedule. That doesn’t mean that I won’t spend time doing an ambitious project, just that I’ll pace myself out more to avoid burnout <3

One Word to Describe:
There are many traits that make up a leader, but the one I believe that is the most important to have is “adaptability”. A leader must realize that things won’t always go as planned, and to fully understand that, one must come to terms with it. All that matters is how you pick yourself up and keep going when things get tough. No one always succeeds - there is always room for improvement and mistakes from time to time help us realize that. By being able to adapt and willing to alter things, I hope to be a more open minded leader. Not just in terms of leadership, but also in terms of being a better listener. As a leader I will take everyone’s ideas into consideration when making a final decision - a leader must be able to adapt, not just sticking with what they’re comfortable with, but also ensuring that everyone feels comfortable and included in the final product!

Cabin Atmosphere:
Bi-Fi Minion Mania: (201 characters)
Bizarre events, with unpredictable outcomes? Sounds familiar, right? In this immersive storyline, the minions will form a strong community to overcome challenges. An experiment gone wrong.. Who knows?

The Boba Tavern: Magical Realism: (196 characters)
A place of dreams and wonders, the Boba Tavern is your one stop shop for all of your needs! A competitive cabin, this magical storyline will have a focus on improving both writing and confidence.

Checklist:
✓ I am applying for both leader and co-leader
✓ I’m willing to share a promotional project for SWC
I am applying for only co-leader

B. No, I can complete all of the responsibilities for a (co)leader that have been listed in the FAQ of the project.

C. In the event I have to go inactive for whatever reason, I will contact the hosts and my (co)leaders as soon as possible so that appropriate accommodations can be made to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible. In the event that one of my (co)leaders are inactive, I will try contacting them via profile comments and other places around Scratch. If I still don’t get a response from them, I will take the matter to the hosts and discuss what other next steps I should consider.

minergold48
Scratcher
100+ posts

Aurora’s Leader App || ~1130 words
Project Form: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1011553781

About Me
Hello! I’m Aurora, a strange, silly entity from the mysterious realm that is MDT! My pronouns are they/them, and I’m an artist, writer, and gamer! I’m also in a plethora of fandoms, represented through my plethora of characters, and I love to write about all of my silly little creations :3
Some other things I enjoy are listening to music, fanning over pretty space phenomenon and plants, and conversing with friends! I may come off a bit reserved, but I swear I’m friendly and I love to chat with others

Previous Experience
This will be my sixth session of SWC! I was a co-leader of a cabin last July session, but otherwise I’ve solely been a camper. I’ve always enjoyed writing, whether it’s been coming up with stories, world-building, developing characters, or roleplaying with others here on Scratch! And aside from my co-leading experience in SWC, I’ve managed two Scratch studios that had massive amounts of activity at their peaks, along with creating and leading a Minecraft club at my school! I’m also a member of my school’s student leadership club, and with being an oldest sibling, I have a lot of experience with leading a lot of kids around the age of the average SWCer.

Cabin Preferences
These preferences aren’t necessarily in any order, and I’d love to lead any cabin thrown at me!
Fantasy/Fan-fi: I adore dragons, and I’d love to make a cabin centered around one of my favorite dragon fandoms: Wings of Fire! Why have campers tame dragons when you can be the dragon?
Illu-fi: I would absolutely embrace the genre of this cabin! When I imagine this cabin I feel like it would be awesome if the cabin storyline was written as a graphic novel, and although it’d be a challenge, I’d like to try!
Mythology: One branch of myth that I haven’t seen explored as of recently is Norse mythology, and although I’m not particularly well-versed in it, a cabin themed after Ragnarok is something I’d like to create!
Sci-fi: Perhaps a space colony having to battle against cosmic eldritch horrors? This one isn’t as developed but the thought is extremely enticing to me!
I’d rather not lead TCTWNW ^^’

Writing Excerpt
Inch pushed her way through the leaves of the bush that she resided in. There was no way for her to get a few steps without having to dodge a branch or cluster or leaves, most of which she had difficulty seeing with the lack of light but she didn’t find herself bothered. She just had to get out, grab a few berries from the neighboring bush, and get back, something that she’d done tons of times before.
Instead of a branch, though, Inch found herself facing a huge snake, their tongue flickering in and out of their mouth as they investigated this possible snack. Inch just smiled, the poodle moth’s big eyes sparkling with innocent love as she waved one of her little arms. “Hello!” she chirped, before feeling her way around them, ignoring the snake slowly turning their head to watch her scoot by. She was far too adorable to eat today.
Finally, Inch stumbled out of the bush. There was only a couple of feet between her and the neighboring bush, but it was definitely going to be quite a walk for her. The moonlight shone upon the clearing, quite the contrast from the cramped bush full of shadows and leaves. She fluttered her wings, lifting off the ground a bit…before landing on the ground and happily beginning to make her way to the other bush, the red berries shining in the light. A lizard scurried past, pausing to watch the comedically small insect march over the bush and begin climbing up to the closest berry she could see. She was only a bundle of white fluff, two black antenna sticking up from her head, enough to melt the lizard’s heart as she came to help the tiny moth.
“Thank you!” called Inch, waving to the lizard as she put her down, barely visible behind the raspberry, before Inch began making her way back into the shadows of her home bush.
She waved to the snake again, even though she wasn’t able to see them, and after some effort, as she was now carrying a giant berry around leaves and bushes in pitch darkness, she made her way back to the little hollow in the bush that she called home. It was the only one of its kind, and Inch was its only resident. Some other bugs and creatures had tried to take it for themselves, but when they see this tiny little bean looking up at them with her massive eyes, twinkling with all the kindness in the world, they couldn’t bring themselves to take that away from her.
So Inch was alone. In the crowded dark. And she was happy!

Time Dedication
I can never truly predict my activity, but I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t get on at least once every day, if not a lot more. In July I have a lot of reading to get through for school, and I’m actively participating in ArtFight, but it’s also summer break! I’ll absolutely have the time on my hands to be completely invested in SWC on top of my responsibilities and other hobbies, and I will definitely prioritize any leadership role over the latter (while still keeping a healthy SWC-life balance). On the other hand, in the prep time leading up to the session, I’m jammed with homework for the rest of May. My activity will be lower, but I can definitely try to get the ball rolling! Once we’re in June, I’m basically out of school, so aside from my reading, I’ll have the time I need to prepare for the session :]

Time Management
I am a procrastinator!!! Lots of waiting until the last minute over here… but everything gets done, and it gets done well. (I’m also a perfectionist :’D)
More specifically, I tend to put off big projects that need a lot of pacing and work until the last minute, spending my time doing what’s due the next day. Sometimes I don’t give myself enough time to do this, and I wind up with a buildup of work to get through.
When it comes to something I genuinely enjoy that is not linked to school, I have better time management, as it’s a passion that I want to pursue. I adore SWC, and I want to put the work into being a member of the leader team. Without the stresses of school I can also try to learn how to pace myself more in an environment where being on time is very important. Even though I’m not the best at time management, I want to use this opportunity to practice and learn!

Collaboration
I adore working with others, and I feel like I can be a positive and motivational voice in a leadership team. I try my hardest to see all sides in a conflict, which can help me to understand and resolve any issues that may come up in a leadership group. I’m always willing to compromise, and I’m very aware that the rest of the leadership team consists of people with feelings who might not have as much time on their hands as I do. I’m a bit shy and anxious around other people, though, and this may lead to me worrying about making executive decisions despite being the one in charge, and feeling a bit pressured to implement as many ideas as possible from my leadership group. I also might give myself too much work to try and prevent the rest of my team from feeling overwhelmed. I’d try to help with this by really getting to know the team I’m a part of, so we can all feel more comfortable sharing our opinions. I’d also let the team have a say in what they want to do, while still being aware of my own availability and energy, and I will remind myself that sometimes leaders have to make hard choices that might not always benefit everyone.

Valued Quality
One quality that I value most in a leader is general dedication to what they’re leading. Of course, people can’t always be available 24/7, but the more time a leader spends positively encouraging their cabin and giving them new opportunities, the more alive the cabin feels, and the more motivated the campers may be. Having a cabin where the leader hardly comes on might wind up feeling a bit abandoned, and that’s a feeling I definitely don’t want in my cabin if I lead. I would make sure to build an engaging storyline that gives campers quite a bit of variety and keep them coming back. I would also do some question of the days to encourage conversation, and one or two check-ins with my campers to make sure that they know that I’m here rooting them on! Overall, I’ll make sure to give life to my cabin, and keep it going the whole session, not backing out when things get tough.

Cabin Atmosphere || 199 characters
My cabin will be laid back and friendly, prioritizing a collaborative in-cabin storyline where any type of writer can participate and get to know one another while still encouraging some competition.

Checkboxes
A. Checkboxes
I am applying for both leader and co-leader
I am not applying for only co-leader
I’m willing to share a promotional project

B. Incompletable Responsibilities
All responsibilities will be followed and completed!

C. Inactive Leadership
If me or a member of my team needs to go inactive/is inactive, I will notify the hosts and find someone who can take the inactive leader’s place ASAP.

Last edited by minergold48 (May 17, 2024 22:54:21)

(I’m in Thriller sobbinf but I still love Illu-Fi <3)
AIcove
Scratcher
1 post

About Me!

Hello, hello, hello. (channeling my inner Count Olaf here lol) Anyways, I’m Idylla, a fifteen-year-old girl (I use she/her pronouns) living in the wonderful world of EDT! :3

I like drawing on my hands during free periods and I primarily write sad and depressing stories that deal with heavy topics. I also enjoy reading on my bed at 1 am and developing my own characters. When I’m not drawing, writing, reading, and most importantly, not swamped by homework, I like to spend my free time playing video games. I enjoy obsessing over one or two Roblox games and AFK Journey!
Participation & Leadership :D

Yes, I have participated in SWC (as a camper) before. I have also participated in several other Scratch camps, but never in a leadership position. I do not hold any leadership positions—on or off Scratch. (I suppose having social anxiety doesn’t help much.)
Preference?

I do not have any preferences regarding which cabin I’d like to co-lead—and even if I did, what’s the fun in staying in my comfort zone all the time?
Excerpt

(This an essay I did on pedestrian safety for physical education following a certain…incident. It's not the most well-written thing in the world, but the other recent essay I wrote was a persuasive essay about substances o-o)

The Importance of Pedestrian Safety and Following Walking Instructions

Pedestrian injuries are the fifth leading cause of injury-induced death for individuals aged 5 to 19. On average, about 67,000 child pedestrians are injured each year. Of those 67,000, nearly 700 die. Compared to younger children, teenagers aged 15 to 19 are almost twice as susceptible to receiving these injuries. There are a plethora of factors that contribute to pedestrian death. While there are many factors that cannot be controlled by the pedestrian, there are a multitude of ways that a pedestrian can keep themselves safe.

For starters, ensure that you look both ways before crossing the street. This lowers the risk of being hit by a moving vehicle. It is incredibly important that the pedestrian is paying attention to their surroundings. This means that the pedestrian should not be on their phone while they are walking. Pedestrians who were found to use their phones while walking are much likelier to exhibit unsafe pedestrian practices. This is especially true for teenagers, who were found to have a higher injury rate than other, younger children.

It is imperative for students to follow a teacher’s walking instructions to minimize the possibility of such injuries. By not doing so, the student not only jeopardizes the teacher’s job, but their own life. Even if there are no cars at the moment, there is a possibility that a car can come speeding past the crosswalk. All it takes is one out-of-control driver to inflict a massive amount of damage. However, by practicing safe pedestrian practices, a student should, in theory, be able to cross the street safely.

On that note, it is also crucial to note that pedestrians should be following the road signs’ directions. If a sign tells you to not walk, do not walk. While there are many people who jaywalk without ever getting hit by a motor vehicle, it is much safer to use the sidewalk. When walking on the sidewalk, it is a good idea to stay away from the curb and remain on the “inner edge” of the sidewalk.

From following the proper directions to doing things that ensure your safety, practicing pedestrian safety is a surefire way to minimize pedestrian death rates. It is important to listen and search for the proper cues that indicate that it is safe to cross the street. Pedestrian safety might not be rocket science, but it’s just as important.
Dedication

I am going on vacation towards the end of June and it will cut a day or two into July. I am fairly sure that where I’m going will have no internet, save for the hotel. Regardless, I’m going to spend time with my family, so my activity level during that time period might be a tad bit weird. Excluding those days, I hope to be able to dedicate a reasonable amount of time (around 30 minutes) per day to SWC. It’s probably a good idea to mention that I have no idea what my summer workload is going to look like because I have absolutely no idea whether or not teachers (especially those for AP courses) will assign work over the summer. I also need to dedicate a sizable chunk of my day studying for SATs.
Time Management
Well, if I had amazing time management skills, then this application would’ve been submitted ages ago! Yeah, my time management isn’t that great, which is probably due to the fact that I am easily distracted. I have started to give myself checklists so I can tick things off as they’re completed—it’s definitely helped me manage things better since I can reorganize the checklist according to priority. It’s also extremely satisfying to tick something off and realize that I’ve completed a task. That’s one step closer to sleeping early!
Working With Others

I’m pretty good at working with others! I honestly don’t mind taking on tasks people don’t like doing for the sake of the team. I do, however, constantly seek approval and confirmation to make sure my part is right! I also have an issue with compromising—I want to include everyone’s idea in the final result, but I usually end up overwhelming myself by accident.
Values
I value the ability to create a friendly working environment. I don't use tone tags, but I do often use capital letters, emoticons, punctuation, and incoherent gibberish to express myself in a friendly way! (“:3” is currently my favorite emoticon to use!)

Cabin Atmosphere
I would love to help create a super fun, but competitive cabin atmosphere! :3 (77 characters)
Checkboxes :3

x - I am applying only for co-leader
x - I am willing to share a promotional project for SWC

Other Questions!

Are there any leadership responsibilities listed in the FAQ you cannot complete? If any, please elaborate.

Nope!

In the case of inactive leadership (either by yourself, or by a fellow leader), what steps will you take to ensure that the cabin can still move on smoothly?

I will work together with fellow leaders to compensate for the inactive leader’s workload, in the case that another leader is inactive. In the case I am inactive, I will be sure to inform my fellow leaders beforehand. I will also make the proper arrangements to ensure that everything can continue smoothly.
ForestPanther
Scratcher
500+ posts

double digits | my leader app | 2,016 words

about me

Helloo! I’m CD, your resident music kid and book enthusiast! I reside in EST-1, currently, and do indeed go by the pronouns they/them <3 Welcome to my leader application!

I have a multitude of intrests- probably too many, honestly- but I’ll try my best not to talk for too long!
I have a passion for basketball and just won MVP in our school league final- as well as that, I like any ball game and doing triple jump whenever I’m able to.
I also love to draw and paint- usually traditionally! Having just selected my GCSEs, I chose music, art and economics on top of the core subjects, so I hope to develop my art more )
Music is a huge, huge passion of mine. I play four instruments seriously- piano, clarinet, soprano sax and recorder- but also have fun with alto sax, bass guitar and harmonica occasionally. (Yes, the recorder is a proper instrument!!) I’m in all the bands in our (small) school and I love it so much there’s so much chaos sksjsjsksksk
As for artists, some favorites include Jack Stauber and Lemon Demon, (weirdcore!!) Cidade Negra and O Rappa (Brazilian reggae/rock <3) Tyler, The Creator, Matt Christensen, Laufey, and many more!
In my free time, I like to play or watch video games such as Minecraft, FNAF or Superliminal. I love particularly to watch Hermitcraft for Minecraft, AstralSpiff for horror games and Game Theory for the LOREE!!
like to spend evenings outside a lot, read a variety of book genres, and create jewelry such as earrings and ear cuffs! Goats are my favorite animal, green is my favorite colour, and picnics on the roof are objectively amazing <33

And, of course, I love to write and to be in this incredibly chaotic and awesome camp known as SWC. I can’t wait for the upcoming session!!

participation

The upcoming session of SWC will be my eleventh and throughout my amazing time here I’ve been able to participate in a multitude of roles and activities! I’ve been a leader once and a co-leader four times. Whilst part of the leadership team, I’ve been a member of the memory book committee, the daily team writers and I’ve been a writing competition panelist! Within individual cabins, I’ve drawn profile pictures, organized and executed storylines and run word count groups, as well as adding points in the Main Cabin.
Outside of SWC, I’ve led in SAC and ITWC.
I’ve also been House Captain, member of the student council, and prefect! I’ve been first chair in orchestra, captain of sports teams and led in Battle of the Books. I also have run student clubs, led my team in maths competitions and been Leader of the Government in debate competitions.
I enjoy leadership a lot and look forwards to any opportunities for it!

cabin prefs

Some genres I’d love to lead that have been done before include Poetry, Bi-Fi, Steampunk (bring them back! ) Dystopian and Hi-Fi. I think that a Debate cabin could also be intresting to have in SWC- although it’s not a strict genre of writing, despite having certain outstanding characteristics. I’d prefer not to lead a cabin that I’ve done before, such as Horror, Adventure, Thriller and Sci-Fi. Also, I don’t feel too confident in the genres of Fan-Fi or Fairy Tales.
One of my favourite parts of SWC is brainstorming a cabin theme with my friends, so I don’t tend to like coming equipped with a full storyline.
I may have some general ideas for certain cabins, though! For example, a beautiful and less explored subcategory of Steampunk is Solarpunk, which could have major potential. Debate could have a really engaging competitive side for an interactive storyline, and Poetry could be explored through the lens of an epic poem- following the adventures of Beowulf, perhaps, or the Odessey. There are so many periods of Hi-Fi that could be cool to explore- perhaps an ancient Egyptian dynasty, or even going back to the pre-historic Cretaceous periods… who knows?
I don’t feel as if I’d be a great fit for TCTWNW, as I very much enjoy the competitive aspect of SWC.

excerpt

From a poem, ‘Oh, How the Sky Moves’

Oh, how the sky moves!
From the red to the blue,
From morning to the noon,
And time passes too soon
In the evening,
But never in the morn,
Where it drags like a snail
Tail
Caught on a thorn.
From blue to the orange,
From orange to grey,
Oh, how I wish that the sun would longer stay!
But just at the sunset,
yes,
Just at that time,
When I can walk outside and the world is mine
I’m it’s, and it holds me
in its gentle clutches
Then I step inside and I feel like I’m stuck
In a windowless labyrinth built for a criminal
Folds of reality turn superliminal
Stuck in a moment
Always the same moment
It’s different, but really it’s just the same moment
Every single day I go through and I know that
Undoubtedly I will relieve that same moment
And days when I don’t, those two in a row,
Are a painting of skies in the frame of windows
That’s why I escape, whenever I can,
To a world lit with orange, this wondrous land,
It’s happy, it’s free,
You’re you and I’m me,
Though I wish it were always, eventually,

The sky will get dark and I’m forced to retreat.

time dedication

In general, I tend to be very active regarding SWC, checking in at least once every day and often dedicating hours when I can to our cabin! I like to set aside dedicated times per week for updating word counts, working on cabin-related projects and helping out with other responsibilities, so I always ensure that I can be online during these base times. As well as leadership responsibilities, I usually take a couple hours over the course week that I use to write!
I do have a couple large events that I will have to take time away from Scratch from. My end of year exams occur from the twelfth of June and last for just under a week, so during that time period, aside from brief check-ins, my priorities will be entirely on studying for school. I have my time from now until then balanced so that I can be active in SWC, but am also able to work. After that week, I’ll be almost entirely free to focus on SWC!
Additionally, I am leaving on the 20th of July to go on holiday! During this period, I still be able to log in every day- albeit for a short amount of time- to check our cabin, point adding system and the leader forum. I will have access to Scratch on mobile devices, which means that it may be difficult for me to work on projects. We will be returning from this trip after a couple weeks!

time management skills and shortcomings

Like many people, I occasionally have to deal with procrastination issues. Although this doesn’t tend to be a problem with SWC, it is still something that I do struggle with and am taking counseling on how to overcome. I’m a perfectionist regarding multiple areas of my life, so that can slow the progress or completion of certain tasks. However, I feel as if the main impediment to my time management is how busy I am- considering school, music and sport, it can be difficult to find enough time for other interests. I do feel as if I have gotten better at managing my time so that I am able to participate in everything that I want to, and I’ve definitely significantly improved my prioritization skills- I’m very good at planning when to tackle what task! I now have lots of experience in scheduling, which I find to be very helpful as well. When I put my mind to a task, I’m good at getting it done efficiently. All in all, I feel as if I have decent time management skills that could be beneficial for my team!

working with others strengths and weaknesses

I feel as though one of my weaknesses in working with others is my perfectionism- I like everything to be done to the highest possible standard. Whenever I do something that is not to the best of my ability, I can feel disappointed, and this applies to group work as well. Also, If I feel overwhelmed, I may not communicate fully about my position. It’s difficult for me to accept help in these cases, as I feel then as if I’ve let the group down somehow. This can lead to breaks in contact or efficiency.
However, in general I am strong in working with others, and I enjoy it very much! I’m an approachable person, and I can quickly form a friendship with people, which makes it easier and more enjoyable to work with and talk to them. I’m usually an organized person and I like to check in often with my team to make sure that everybody is good with their jobs. I’ve gotten much better at delegating tasks and not wanting to do everything myself- I feel as though I’m understanding my limits much better and how we as a team can work around them. I really love working in a group, and I think that enjoyment is reflected in our work- passion can really fuel a project!

most valued quality in a leader

A leader must, of course, demonstrate a multitude of qualities, all of them important in their own right, but one that I personally value a lot is dedication. Dedication is being committed to, passionate about and active in a task or responsibility. Dedication leads to being alert and helpful within the leadership community. Everybody benefits when a person is always jumping forwards to help and assisting their team whenever they can- not only are their skills often invaluable, but their energy becomes contagious! Within the leadership of a cabin, it can really help the atmosphere- the person leads by example and paves the way for a cabin where work is done efficiently and the atmosphere is wonderful to be in <3 And in the wider camp, dedication can really come through and be a great aid to campers. A person who is always there and ready to help becomes a safe person to approach. A person that is always enthusiastic lends their energy to others, leading to an exciting, friendly cabin. Demonstrating dedication also builds up a sense of trust between you and your peers- they can see your passion, work ethic and how it affects the people around you. This allows them to appreciate your work and trust you going forwards.
I would embody this trait by making sure that I am always committed to whatever responsibility I hold. I would allow my love for SWC to show through my work, and hopefully be a leader to others! Demonstrating determination can be done through consistent, enthusiastic and active participation throughout the camp, and I will do my best to show these traits.

cabin atmosphere blurb

An exciting and competitive cabin aiming to create lasting friendships and foster a love of writing! <3 (103 characters)

checkboxes and other things

(check) I am applying for both leader and co-leader
(check) I am willing to share a promotional project for SWC

I have read the FAQ entirely, and am able to complete all responsibilities mentioned in it

In the case of inactive leadership:

I think what’s most important in this situation is to communicate about the absence- for example, if I were to be inactive, I would ensure that our cabin leaders/cos, and the hosts, would know as much as they could about my leave (when I’ll be back, why ect). In the case of a sudden absence by a leader or co in my cabin, after notifying relevant people, I would be sure to prioritize cabin tasks and get all of the most important ones completed, even if it comes at the cost of less important ones.

thank you for reading my app! <3

ello ello ello
CD, they/them

solarpunk! <3
opheliio
Scratcher
100+ posts

lio’s coleader app text — july 2024

about me
hello hello! i’m lio, a booklover, rising college sophomore, and aspiring polymath. i am a very curious and passionate person, whose interests range from geography and worldbuilding to linguistics to infectious diseases to fashion history to cooking, and i particularly appreciate connecting all of these fixations through writing, both fiction and nonfiction. in my free time, i enjoy such activities as reading and writing (of course), hiking, drawing and painting, and rock climbing. though i can be very introverted in real life, online i am much more outgoing, and i’m always happy to chat!

at the moment, my media hyperfixations include dungeon meshi (both the anime and manga, i love dungeon food!), jet lag: the game (a web game show i highly recommend everyone check out), and the raven cycle (which makes me nostalgic for a life i’ve never had). i’m currently reading the raven king by maggie stiefvater. some of my current favorite musical artists are lord huron (the summer roadtrip vibes are immaculate), lucy dacus (one member of the marvelous boygenius), and chappell roan (good luck, babe! has been on repeat in my mind for the past seventy-two hours). my favorite books are the giver by lois lowry and the locked tomb series (harrow the ninth, in particular) by tamsyn muir.

i use they/them pronouns and live in the eastern time zone (edt).

previous participation
july 2024 will be my thirteenth swc session. over the past almost four years (what!!), i’ve led three times, coled five times, and campered four times. additionally, i was a member of the daily team two times, a writing comp panelist once, and participated in the memory book committee and quails / sorting team in nine and eight sessions respectively. in fewer words, i have a lot of experience with swc, in many different roles.

previous sessions, in reverse chronological order:
march 2024 — dystopian coleader, with mouse, kenzie, and allen
november 2023 — mystery camper, led by finley, clev, and mabel
july 2023 — lit-fi coleader, with fae
march 2023 — fantasy leader, with soki and river
november 2022 — folklore coleader, with ryann, faer, and vee
july 2022 — script leader, with fae, mayhem, and piper
march 2022 — adventure leader, with finley and cettie
november 2021 — contemporary camper, led by mech, viara, and ozzie
july 2021 — horror coleader, with pi and pie
march 2021 — sci-fi coleader, with kat and soft
november 2020 — thriller camper, led by cara, wats, and cj
july 2020 — hi-fi camper, led by soft and cj

beyond swc, i started writing for fun over ten years ago with no breaks since. i have much leadership experience, including volunteering a week each summer since 2019 as a day-camp counselor, and in high school i directed several one act plays.

cabin preferences
for the sake of cabingo, i would prefer to colead a cabin i haven’t participated in before. otherwise, i have no preference. i would be interested in coleading the cabin that will not win.

excerpt
when the patron was young, magic fell upon the land like rain. when the patron was learning, magic ran across the land in streams. when the patron spoke their first words, magic flowed through them and through everything. for in those days, magic was life. no more separable from the world, no more separable from life than water.
i do not know what their name was, though i know they once had one. i suspect they have forgotten it, too. i do not know which city they called home, though it was not what is now bulwark, despite what the wards claim. i do not know when they were born, when they first spoke magic, when they fled this realm. i suppose i do not seem much of storyteller, with all the information i lack. but i do know the patron, on a truly personal level. i know their heart and their song. i believe— i know— they always had the best of intentions. even with your situation, princess. and yours, ward. they may— no longer be the person i once knew. since they gave up their consciousness to magic— well. i should not get ahead of myself; that is a sign of a poor storyteller.

time dedication
throughout the month of july, i will be able to dedicate between one hour and two hours, non-consecutively, each day specifically to swc responsibilities, generally in the evening. the same is true for the remainder of may and june for cabin planning, though i will likely be less active between 16 and 25 june, when my family is going on vacation. my activity will also be impacted by a trip the final few days of july, but neither of these will completely bar me from participating.
i cannot and will not promise all of my time to swc — after all, sleep, health, and real life come first.

time management
skills
dedication, which i have both for swc and coleading, allows me to both get a lot done on a project in a short amount of time and stick with said project for longer amounts of time. i value every minute i get to spend working on swc and don’t want to “waste” any of it with poor time management.
allotment of time is something i’ve worked on a lot the past year and a half; i’ve strengthened my proficiency with proper allocation of my time and prioritization of my tasks. with this improvement, i am more productive even under time constraints.

shortcomings
procrastination is my largest challenge, stemming from my perfectionism. it leads to tasks taking far longer than needed, but i combat it by reminding myself that doing something imperfect is better—and a better use of my time—than doing nothing at all!
distraction goes hand in hand with both procrastination and dedication. i tend to get distracted from tasks i don’t want to do or ones that make me anxious by other, more exciting or familiar tasks, and often while doing things i am passionate about i lose track of time.
recently, i have used this to my advantage, rotating through varying tasks to keep from getting bored with any one activity.

collaboration strengths, weaknesses, and assets
strengths
passion — i deeply care about swc and the success of my leadership team and cabin and i value the processes and products of collaboration. this informs my every action as a team member and coleader, from working through disagreements to properly scheduling my time according to tasks.
open-mindedness — i am open to new ideas and discussion during the process of cabin planning and throughout camp. I want the cabin to reflect the work of the entire leadership team, and the camper as well, and this cannot be done without compromise and connection.

weaknesses
communication is something that, despite valuing it greatly, i am very bad at. i overthink even the simplest of messages and can be bad at interpreting others’ emotions and sharing my own. i constantly push myself over this hurdle, but it remains a weakness.
perfectionism is a symptom of my striving to be the best. i care about every tiny detail, which can lead to me taking on more than i should, rather than allowing other team members to leave their mark. i worked on overcoming this over the past year, and furthering this work remains a goal of mine in july.

assets
creativity — my ideas are constantly flowing, for new cabin concepts and activities and storylines. i want to create a cabin full of imagination and innovation by developing these with a team.
art & design skills — hand in hand with my creativity is my proficiency with art and design — i have years of experience with both as well as the ability to design a unique look for a cabin. (plus I have access to canvapro )
experience — i’ve been in swc for over three years in a variety of roles; i have the wisdom and vision that comes with such experience, as well as the desire to share both with my cabin and leadership team.
organization & spreadsheets — thanks to experience and personal interest, i have a good understanding of how to create systems for information and statistics, and an understanding of how to apply this to swc.

quality of leadership
one quality of leadership i greatly value is flexibility. the ability to adapt and go with the flow is important in a setting with as many variables and participants as swc. throughout the planning process and july’s session, i will be prepared for changes and to fulfill my responsibilities in the face of those changes. i will also look to keep my cabin compatible with the wants and needs of my campers and fellow leaders and not stress about “keeping up” with other cabins. previously, i’ve worked to respond to camper feedback and participation and it’s something i’d like to continue to focus on this session.

atmosphere
a welcoming, inside-joke-filled environment, which adapts with camper feedback and prioritizes quality & fun over quantity.
(as an additional note, i’m open to a competitive or a chill outlook at the leaderboard and within the cabin — whichever the leader prefers!)

miscellaneous
a. i am applying for both co and leader.
✓ i am applying only for co.
✓ i am willing to share a promotional project for swc.

b. no, there are no leadership responsibilities listed in the faq that i cannot complete

c. in the case of inactive leadership, whether by myself or by another leader on my team, i will prioritize clear communication with hosts, campers, and other leaders on what is happening, as well as attempting to contact whoever is inactive. then, i’ll work with the other members of my cabin leadership team to understand what we may need — whether a replacement leader is needed.

Last edited by opheliio (May 19, 2024 19:26:47)

omg lio remembered to change their signature !!

#thrillerftwnov29
Froggola
Scratcher
500+ posts

Sarah's SWC (co)leader app text version

About me-
Hey there! I’m Sarah, my pronouns are she/her, and my timezone is PST. I’m a pretty social person and can usually start a conversation pretty easily. When I’m stuck in my house, I usually pass time by writing (of course), reading, sketching, baking or hanging out with my cat. Some of my favorite books series are, the six of crows duology, the shadow and bone trilogy, harry potter, and KOTLC! I could definitely rant about those for hours.. I honestly cannot read books that aren’t apart of a series because I feel like there’s always something that needs to be added onto it. Other than literature, I love baking and cooking so I’ve been learning new recipes for tons of different things. My current favorite is tomato soup and snicker doodles! I also play two sports, soccer and volleyball. I actually just started playing soccer this year so I’m still figuring things out.

Experience-
I’ve been writing in real life since I learned to write. I used to have a little journal with tons of stories in it. Every day I got home from school, I’d make up a random new story and write it down, along with some drawings of characters and scenes. I’ve always loved to write! I found out about scratch camps when just scrolling through scratch, and I got to my first camp from someone’s profile I can’t remember. The first camp I started in was JWC which will forever hold a special place in my heart. <33 I was a co-leader my very first session and had loads of fun planning and writing all month. After that, I tried out more different camps like SNC (leader), and SRC (co-leader). I’ve been in SWC for 3 sessions.

My past sessions are:
March 2023- Dystopian camper
July 2023- TCTWNW co-leader
November 2023- Fairy tales co-leader

Cabin prefs-
I haven’t written in too many genres yet, but I feel like it would be really fun to step out of my comfort zone a little more this session! I’m definitely really interested in poetry, sci-fi or horror. Some close seconds are fantasy, fairy tales and mystery. I would prefer not to (co)lead tctwnw because I’m really pumped for the competition this session!

Excerpt-
I had always known this moment would come. I knew that no matter what I tried to do to prevent it, I would find myself in this very position time and time again. We had spent so many beautiful moments together, despite our differences. I loved you, I truly did. Even now, my heart aches for you. But the universe had chosen opposite fates for us. We were never meant to be. Although it was my very hand that placed that ring on your finger, it will be my very hand to pull the tr!gger of the g_n held to your head. Goodbye, my love.

Time dedication-
From when planning starts until the end of the session, I won’t have way too many activities off of scratch that require too much time. School ends sometime in June for me, so during summer break, I just have sports. Some weekends I might be off camping, but even if my activity will drop a little, I’ll make sure to pop into to check in as much as possible. So aside from those small drops in my activity, I plan on dedicating hour a day or more towards SWC. If anything happens and my activity drops a large amount or I end up barely being able to participate because of an irl thing, I’ll make sure to let my (co)leaders and hosts know about the problem.

Time management-
Starting off with my weaknesses in time management, I struggle the most with a pretty common topic for swc-ers: Procrastination. I keep telling myself I’ll get something done but tend to take way too long before I can get to it. In the end, I still manage to get it done in time, but I’d certainly like to improve on this since it usually leads to not enough time to think things through. Even though it may take me a little while to gain motivation to get started, After I get started, I’m pretty efficient with my time and finish before the deadline. I’m pretty flexible when it comes to time and I’m good at making sure no time goes to waste.

Collaboration-
I’m good at looking on the bright side of things and putting different little ideas together to find a common idea everyone is happy with. I always love trying new ideas and ways of seeing things and I also pitch in some of my own. I stay positive when working with others, even when there’s arguments or it’s just really hard to collaborate. I always look for a way for my skills to work with others, because everything requires a mix of all strengths. I’m patient and stay positive to make sure everyone feels as though they’re being heard which creates a better environment to work in. My weakness when it comes to collaboration is being a perfectionist. Lots of the time I tend to set standards that are too high which is mostly what makes me feel really pressured and sometimes not be able to contribute to my full strength because I’m worrying too much about making it 100% perfect.

One quality in a leader-
The quality I value most in a leader is being active. It helps create a more lively and fun environment, which can get campers more motivated to want to write and contribute to their cabin and improve their writing skills while still having fun. By being there and encouraging campers they can create longer lasting memories of the session. I think it would be awesome to have a camper go, “That was a fun session, I was really pumped to write!” I’ve seen loads of people lose motivation when it comes to finishing weeklies and dailies even if they really wanted to. But when leaders lead by example, and keep up their activity, writing away, while still encouraging their entire cabin to just try their best at it, it makes everything ten times better. I would do this by being very active in my cabin and in the main cabin. I plan on being online at least an hour a day to write. I would also make fun in cabin activities to do, involving the story line of the cabin to do as well.

Check boxes-
Yes, I am applying for both co-leader and leader.
No, I cannot make a promotional project for SWC.
B- Nope, I can complete all of them!
C-If I go inactive, I would let my (co)leaders and hosts know, and let them know what I’m currently working on so they know what to cover. If a (co)leader in my cabin goes inactive, I would help look over the things we’re doing and figure out who should now take over what part of the work.

-Raye-
Scratcher
29 posts

raye's co leader app

q.1 Welcome to my quirky little corner of the internet! <3 The name’s Raye, and I use she/her pronouns. My personality has lots of dimensions- and just when you think you know just all there is to know about me, I have something new up my sleeve. I personally believe in zodiac signs, and my sun sign is Gemini. I feel that Gemini is one way to describe me, constantly changing. I do switch personalities often. While I may be distant to someone I do not know well, I can be quite a rambler to some of my closest friends. As a Sattagarrius Moon, I find that I value individuality in friendships. I seek thrilling adventures in my life, whether that be riding a risky roller coaster(!) or listening to a horror podcast. I am quite philosophical when it comes to advice, and find exploring ideas intriguing. I have studied Aristotle before and find it very interesting to grapple with philosophical issues that deal with ethics etc. Likewise, I also search for a deeper meaning in everything. This is what led me to an interest in psychology, and exploring the complexities of human nature. One particular interest of mine currently is body language and being able to understand nonverbal cues. My rising sign is Virgo, which is how I’m perceived. While I struggle with focusing on tasks, I often find myself noticing the smallest details about a friend’s appearance. When I am focused on the task at hand, however, I pay more attention to detail which helps me complete it well. I do come off as analytical and quite a perfectionist. I do speak fluent sarcasm as well ;D. Some of my passions include veterinary medicine, psychology, writing, baking, classical dance, lacrosse, piano, and roleplaying. During my free time, I enjoy honing any of these skills, depending on what kind of mood I’m in. Some of my hobbies are more demanding than others, of which I tend to spend more time and effort on, while others come more easily to me. Some of my recent obsessions(!) include(but are not limited to) True Crime podcasts, entrepreneur activities, nonverbal body language, and the book series named Fourth Wing, Star Wars, Itzy, and other music artists.
Yes, I have played an active role in SWC over the course of multiple sessions. In November 2021, I was a camper in the fanfiction library. I wasn’t as active as I’d like to have been. However, my activity skyrocketed the following March in the fanfiction forest where I met the lukaties! They really introduced me to the amazing writing community on Scratch. I was the most engaged I’ve ever been with the plot that session. SWC became something more than a hobby- a way to express myself! In July, I (unfortunately) was unable to join due to being away on vacation for most of the month, but I was an honorary member for realistic fiction. On November ‘22, I joined Adventure(lukatie reunion)! I was really excited for the plot, especially since the Lukaties made such a good duo. Adventure was even more engaging than the previous March. In the following March, I applied for the position of leader. Though I was not accepted with the batch of co-leaders, I ended up co-leading with Birdi and JC after their third co went inactive. That session was a whirlwind. It was especially chill because it was the first session of Birdi’s new idea: TCTWNW! The course of that month honed in on my writing skills and helped me improve more than ever. After March ‘23, unfortunately, I found myself too busy to participate in camp. Life really took over and I couldn’t find time for one of my favorite activities, which led to my absence in the past 3(?) sessions over the course of late 2023 and leading into early 2024, and am gladly ending this absence this session. I have had lots of experience with writing, from writing at school to taking English lessons outside of school. Last summer, I took English lessons that drastically improved my writing style. I have also since started to roleplay once again, which has helped me regain my (somewhat) sophisticated writing style.

q.3 I have so many genres that would resonate well with my personality and plot ideas! One of my top choices has to be dystopian. The reason for this is because I highly enjoy dystopian novels. Novels like The Red Queen, The Hunger Games, Legend, Renegades, and Reboot have blown me away time and time again. They have the sense of thrill that I seek in life. However, I also often seek masterfully woven plots and authors who have absolutely mastered the skills of foreshadowing and underlying themes. For that reason, it would be such a great honor to co-lead Dystopian and be able to write and develop a storyline that I would admire.

Fantasy resonates with me well. Whether it is mythology or older folklore or newer versions, fantasy has always held a special place in my heart. I have read almost all of the Riodaniverse and enjoyed all of these books. Greek mythology(among others) was an obsession of mine a few years ago. It is particularly why I am well-versed in such topics. Adapted versions of folklore also contribute to my interest in fantasy. As a grade-schooler, I was obsessed with the series ‘Whatever After’ which explored twisted fantasy tales. A recent fantasy favorite of mine would have to be ‘Fourth Wing’ where Yarros masterfully worldbuilds a fantasy world named Navarre. The idea of exploring worlds so different from my own particularly interests me, especially if the author is as skilled as Yarros in developing a fantasy. I am hoping to be able to lead fantasy, folklore, fantasy, or mythology for these reasons as well.

Other than these genres, leading thriller, action, or sci-fi could be interesting, but believe me, I would be happy to lead ANY genre- and who knows, I might get obsessed with that said genre. I don’t have a said preference for TCTWNW, particularly because I have led that before. I would be fine with leading it once again. However, I feel like I would have more to contribute to a cabin with some competitive aspects than to a cabin completely prioritizing wellbeing.

q.4
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/966308013/

q. 5&6 Since school will be out, I expect to be able to contribute significant periods of time to camp. The only times I will be unavailable is during my extracurricular classes and when I go out with my family. However, because I will be moving to another timezone(not EST), I will be active during other periods of the day. My activity might also be spotty, because my internet connection might not be stable. If I do end up losing internet access, I will make sure those on my respective team know that this is an issue on my end so that we can plan accordingly. Other than that, there should be no problems with my time commitment, which(realistically) would be around 9-10 hours a week.
I believe that I have improved a lot with time management! I usually allot time to activities and plan out a schedule. I try to stay consistent to such schedules, unless I cannot fulfill them due to underlying circumstances. I have worked on focusing on the task at hand to make the most of my time. I believe that it is the best way to study and do any task, no matter how small. Using meditation, I figured out a method to think of my thoughts as “clouds in the sky”. Now, there wasn’t any need to expel these distracting thoughts. I just let them drift by, like clouds on a sky, instead of clambering onto such clouds and getting distracted. This would defeat the purpose of spending time on a certain task. This has helped me improve my grades, and become more efficient. I strongly believe that this will also help me as a leader.

I am still working on these skills, however. Sometimes, I do end up getting distracted. This is inevitable, and when it happens, I decide to take a break. Therefore, it might take me a while to complete any leadership task, especially due to this. I also waste a lot of my free time doing unproductive tasks such as scrolling through my fyp. This is my attempt at taking a break, and often backfires on me and my productivity. It can also become a form of procrastination. However, I manage to get back on track after I’ve satisfied the demand of whatever was distracting me.

q.7 &8 I genuinely enjoy collaborating with others to create a commodity that would have been impossible to create on your own. To start, I would bring lots of ideas to the table. This ability can be seen through any of my previous collaborative projects, majorly in school. My groups have often had to rethink designs and prototypes. Many of the ideas for improvement stem from me, if not my group members. I can effectively also assume roles to collaborate smoothly, even with people I don’t know well. I do my best to split the work accordingly so we can do our respective tasks and collaborate to improve them. This kind of collaboration has pushed me out of my comfort zone, and allows me to understand and collaborate better with others.

A weakness of mine in collaboration is communication. I often am not able to effectively communicate ideas or other information to others. This can cause issues, such as miscommunication. This makes collaboration difficult, and tedious at times. For example, I often don’t feel comfortable sharing feelings about a certain task with another person who is not close to me, so they may assume I am alright with completing the task when I dislike it. This has often backfired on my group or even myself. However, I will try my best to improve my communication skills. I will make my best efforts to get all my points across.

q.9 Those filling a leadership role, to me, must hold individuality. They must be able to be distinguished as leaders, to hold that authority when anywhere else. In other words, I feel a leader should be confident in themselves, but not arrogant or unsure of their abilities. This is the sufficient way to hold leadership. If a leader is not confident in themself, who will trust or be faithful to their abilities?

I feel as if I hold this sense of individuality. I am proud of my accomplishments, though I am careful not to boast about them. Despite the peer pressure around me to change with the trends, I only embody the traits I wish to embody. I make sure to feel confident in my own abilities.
I aim to create a cabin in which I would enjoy being a camper. For example, an atmosphere that is just enough laid-back to encourage healthy habits. I would make sure that my campers know that their wellbeing should be their utmost priority. Perhaps the cabin might even have a section of the description in which it encourages campers to do an activity for their wellbeing daily, like meditating. What better way to enforce such a statement than showcase it yourself? With planning, me and my other leaders might take on “shifts'' that allows the others to recharge. However, I also would like an atmosphere where the campers feel encouraged to apply their very best when they are feeling up to it. In this case- perhaps some healthy competition. It might involve competition in the plot. However, there’s no better way to hype campers up than with thrill in the plot. I am hoping to be able to lay out a plot that has multiple interesting plot twists with my fellow leaders. The thrill and adrenaline should keep campers going at their best until they need to recharge, which is completely acceptable.

q.10 I am only applying for co-leader. None of the duties should be an issue. In order to stay on top of word counts, I may have to organize adding words by camper. I may also only add words every 3-4 days. This may be the case if my wifi flickers out. If this happens, I will make sure to inform the other leaders beforehand. This way, we can plan ahead of time and make sure my campers know where to go for word counts if I am inactive. Any inactivity on my part will truly be due to technical difficulties. I will make my best effort to make sure everything is planned and set out beforehand. In case of me going inactive for more than a 4 day period before camp begins, I will make sure we have a backup co-leader picked out. This way, they can be informed in a timely manner. If I do end up going inactive during camp sessions, I will make sure to inform the other leadership about it. We will have a plan set in place such as splitting up the remaining campers into other word count groups, and how to change the plot to not include myself.

Raye ;D REAL-FI FTW <33 reader, writer, musician, baker, dancer etc. TOH, Riodaniverse, Willow, Star Wars, WOF etc.
silverlynx-
Scratcher
67 posts

Why Can’t I Go To Space?

You wrapped your arms around your mum, sobs muffled and heart-wrenching. A tear slid down your face hot and threatening.
“Don’t go, Mum!” You cried, breath catching in your throat. Your tongue grew thick and dry, a desert. You couldn’t speak. You stared in utter horror as she walked away, skipping along the front path. Her eyes were bright and happy, little sun rays of hope and joy. You knew she might never ever return.
“I’m going to space! I’m really going to space! Imagine! Can’t wait to see you there, Daniel!”
You felt, deep down, that wasn’t true. Her voice was so convincing that you could almost believe you were going to space with the twinkling stars and dazzling sunshine. Sunshine in space! You couldn’t even imagine it.
“Come on, Daniel!” Your dad barked roughly. “You’re only 4! You can’t go to space.”
Your head drooped in sorrow. Your breath grew shaky once more, fast and shallow. You felt your dad’s comforting warm arm around your back, as he swung you into the air. You felt invincible. You felt your invisible wings gliding softly through the air, catching on the gentle breeze.
“I’m in space!” You shouted in excitement. “I’m in space!”
You hit the shimmering fabrics of the sofa.
“No, you’re not, monkey.”
Your brow wrinkled in confusion. How have you been flying then? It was so exhilarating! You thought about your mum, laughing and chattering with the other people going to space, her dimples deep, her smile wide.
“Why can’t I go to space?” You asked.
“Because it’s dangerous!” Your dad replied
“Then how come mum gets to go?” You asked.
But he was gone.

You plummeted towards the earth, a searing pain coursing through your veins.
“Mummy!” You yelled.

You woke up with a jolt, sweat trickling down your forehead.
“Mum…” You whispered sadly.
“Daniel! Get up! Breakfast’s ready!”
You plodded down the stairs, your footsteps matching your heartbeat. Heavy and sad.
“Space launch today, kid!” Your Dad exclaimed elatedly. You nodded dejectedly.
A plate clattered down in front of you, laden with pancakes, swimming in a lake of maple syrup. You ate half-heartedly, nibbling the sugary sponge.
“Daniel? You alright?” Your dad asked worriedly.
“Fine.” You mumbled, your eyes too serious and wise for their tender age.
“Are you sure?”
You considered your answer for a minute, tapping your fingers on the rough wood of the table. You imagined the bumps as monstrous mountains, the dips shimmering lakes. Your heart yearned to go to a place of such peace. But you wanted to go somewhere else even more.
“Why can’t I go to space?”
“It’s dangerous.” Your dad answered woefully. He wiped away a tear with his hand and sniffled despondently. He ran out of the room.

Smiling people laughed and chattered around you, their smiles sickly. You felt a smile curl on your own lips, like a swan: elegant and graceful, yet deceiving. Your dad’s calloused hands squeezed yours and you squeezed back. An ugly stupendous shuttle towered over you, its shadow squid-ink black. You imagined your mum in there, her eyes sparkling and impatient with anticipation.
“10.”
Your heartbeat quickened, hammering in your chest.
“9.”
Your smile faded as you realised the moment was approaching faster than you could believe.
“8.”
Your knuckles furled into a ball.
“7.”
Tears pricked the edges of your shining eyes.
“6.”
You leaned your head against your dad’s sturdy torso, like a tree trunk.
“5.”
Your eyes widened.
“4.”
You bit your lip, blood blossoming, a bright crimson.
“3.”
You inhaled sharply.
“2.”
You held your breath.
“1.”
You let it out in a blood-curdling shriek.
“0.”
“No!” You screamed. But it was gone.
Flaming tongues licked the sides of the shuttle as smoke plumed into the air. You thought you could see your mum waving goodbye happily. You raised your pudgy hand.
“Goodbye, mum.”
You stared in terrified awe as it spiralled through the fluffy white clouds leaving murky grey smoke in its wake. It disappeared. Just like that. You cried and cried, tears pooling at your feet.
“W-why can’t I go to space?” You sobbed.
Your dad picked you up and wheeled you around in the air.
“You already are, Daniel!”
“W-what?”
“The earth is a fixed point in space. Therefore you are in space.” He explained slowly.
“What about an unfixed point?” Your face open with curiosity.
“You’d still be in space!”

A few days later…

The shuttle, Colombia, sped towards earth, ripped apart by the intense heat of the atmosphere. Debris tumbled from the blackened sky. You wailed in pain and fear. You wished that you had been with your mum. Before she died.
“Why can’t I go to space?” You asked.
Your dad remained silent, his eyes stormy and distant. His grip on you tightened.
My heart shattered into a million pieces, the shards piercing and cold.

Last edited by silverlynx- (June 20, 2024 17:36:13)