Discuss Scratch

butterflygirl2
Scratcher
51 posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

I think Scratch should make it so that if you posted something on the forums, and someone quoted it in reply, you should get a message saying so. This will make sure everyone gets a chance to know when their questions are answered and their comments replied to, even if they are not following the discussion.

Hi!
peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Sorry, no support since this would make using the forums considerably slower. For example, if I did this:

NonexistentUser wrote:

Random text here.
Then the program to notify Scratchers that they were quoted would be confused. It would first have to check if NonexistentUser is an actual user by cross checking it with the names of about 4 million users and then send a message to the user that the quote matches. Doing this every single time someone quoted someone would be quite stressful to the server.


#BringBackDiscuss
Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Sorry, no support since this would make using the forums considerably slower. For example, if I did this:

NonexistentUser wrote:

Random text here.
Then the program to notify Scratchers that they were quoted would be confused. It would first have to check if NonexistentUser is an actual user by cross checking it with the names of about 4 million users and then send a message to the user that the quote matches. Doing this every single time someone quoted someone would be quite stressful to the server.
Why the need to crosscheck anything? If you have the name then you send the message to that name, existent or not. No different from typing NonexistantUser in the search bar and getting their page
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

What if someone posted

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

etc.?

When they create their account, will they get hundreds of notifications?


Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Last edited by Detriment (Dec. 6, 2014 23:23:54)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.
What about clicking the quote button?

However, I could do this…

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

etc.

And you'd have 6 messages from me quoting you 6 times.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
gregory9
Scratcher
100+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Support.

Use DuckDuckGo instead of Google, Bing, or Yahoo

Check out Coursacado, and SBX Share!

I am gw90 on GitHub
peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Sorry, no support since this would make using the forums considerably slower. For example, if I did this:

NonexistentUser wrote:

Random text here.
Then the program to notify Scratchers that they were quoted would be confused. It would first have to check if NonexistentUser is an actual user by cross checking it with the names of about 4 million users and then send a message to the user that the quote matches. Doing this every single time someone quoted someone would be quite stressful to the server.
Why the need to crosscheck anything? If you have the name then you send the message to that name, existent or not. No different from typing NonexistantUser in the search bar and getting their page
In that case, you'll get delivery errors if the message can't be sent. And as others have said, people can spam the quote button.


#BringBackDiscuss
Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Sorry, no support since this would make using the forums considerably slower. For example, if I did this:

NonexistentUser wrote:

Random text here.
Then the program to notify Scratchers that they were quoted would be confused. It would first have to check if NonexistentUser is an actual user by cross checking it with the names of about 4 million users and then send a message to the user that the quote matches. Doing this every single time someone quoted someone would be quite stressful to the server.
Why the need to crosscheck anything? If you have the name then you send the message to that name, existent or not. No different from typing NonexistantUser in the search bar and getting their page
In that case, you'll get delivery errors if the message can't be sent. And as others have said, people can spam the quote button.
Why would you get delivery errors? The system would, and in that case, it won't even matter. If the person doesn't exist then they don't need a message delivered
butterflygirl2
Scratcher
51 posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

TheHockeyist wrote:

What if someone posted

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

Nonexistent user wrote:

etc.?

When they create their account, will they get hundreds of notifications?
Maybe if whoever develops Scratch made it so you will only get one notification per forum post that has a quote from your post in it, that kind of spamming won't happen.

Hi!
butterflygirl2
Scratcher
51 posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Firedrake969 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.
What about clicking the quote button?

However, I could do this…

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

Detriment wrote:

This idea won't really work because quoting isn't connected to accounts, it's just text of the username and BBcode that makes “quote” into a box like “i” does italics. The forum would have to be remade with a different system for this to be possible.

etc.

And you'd have 6 messages from me quoting you 6 times.
Maybe if whoever develops Scratch made it so you will only get one notification per forum post that has a quote from your post in it, that kind of spamming won't happen.

Hi!
Really_A
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

I think it would be nice if there is a notification when someone quote our post, so we don't need to check our post everyday. Like this:

Edit: this was suggested by shaymin88 down there.
There have been people quoting your post on a forum
Or this:
You have been quoted in a forum.
(Suggested by ChocolatePi, thanks ChocolatePi!)

Support?
List Of Supporters:
Me (duh)
shaymin88
ChocolatePi
JavaFernOS
Cyoce
easyScratcher
samanyolu
MewTheSmasher
GyroscopeBill
charlesdog
scratcher7_13
IronBit_Studios

But how about following the forum discussion? Well, sometime the new post doesn't has something to do with us. And I think there is a glitch.
someone quotes you in the forum thread a forum at 3:14 am
someone quotes you in the forum thread a forum at 3:15 am
someone quotes you in the forum thread a forum at 3:16 am
someone quotes you in the forum thread a forum at 3:17 am
Ignore my previous suggestion!

Last edited by Really_A (March 28, 2015 14:23:12)

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Other than…

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

… I don't see any problems with that!

Really_A
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

CatsUnited wrote:

Other than…

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

… I don't see any problems with that!
What did you mean? I don't understand.
Doodle-cats
Scratcher
500+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post


Really_A wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Other than…

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

… I don't see any problems with that!
What did you mean? I don't understand.
They mean that you would get spammed with a lot of mail.

Did anyone tell you I was a Time Lord? You should know. I live in Fourtrees, with my good friends Germany, England, America, and my fellow pokemon Skitty and Delcatty. We go to Hogwarts and battle Titans.
One last thing~ Never-I mean never-make France laugh.
France laughs [honhonhonhonhonhon] ::looks
Really_A
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Doodle-cats wrote:

Really_A wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Other than…

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

… I don't see any problems with that!
What did you mean? I don't understand.
They mean that you would get spammed with a lot of mail.
Ooh.. yeah..
matey1234
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

no support as per CatsUnited.. someone could constantly quote you randomly and spam your mail.

| Artist | Gamer | Roleplayer | Weirdo | Lazy |

Really_A
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

matey1234 wrote:

no support as per CatsUnited.. someone could constantly quote you randomly and spam your mail.
Okay..
Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

I made a topic like this a while back, but I can't find it…

If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
shaymin88
Scratcher
100+ posts

Notifying Users When Somone Quoted Their Forum Post

Support! I made a topic about this a while back.

CatsUnited wrote:

Other than…

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

Really_A wrote:

… I don't see any problems with that!
Wouldn't a 1 message until checked be fine.
There have been people quoting your post on (insert link to topic name here)
Sounds like a good message instead of.
Really A quoted you on (insert link to topic here)
Really A quoted you on (insert link to topic here)
Really A quoted you on (insert link to topic here)
Your inbox wouldn't be overflowing then.

Recall Alert!!! This is no joke!
All Scratch signatures are supposedly contaminated with millions of different strains of the flu virus! Bring your signature down to Kumquat and Friends so we can properly dispose of it!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile