Discuss Scratch

CST1229
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch's high contrast editor update is out now!

(formerly called “Optional high contrast blocks (and non-optional purple menu bar) coming very soon”)
The update's out! Scratch 2.0 pages are also purple now, seems like they were updated a bit after 3.0 pages.

The ST is planning on releasing an update to the Scratch website and editor at the end start (!) of June June 28th (confirmed by announcement).
Official announcement: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/689659/
This will include: (alongside website changes)
  • Most blues (like in the menu bar) being changed to purple (not togglable): (and also some other menu bar changes)

This was probably done for the text to better contrast with the background (though they could have also used a darker shade of blue instead).
  • A theme picker, with original and high contrast options:

• Other style changes for contrast:

• neon extensions

You can see it here: https://scratchfoundation.github.io/scratch-gui/develop/

There's an unused dark mode in the code, but it isn't in the selector and is very incomplete (currently only changes the Code tab). It's probably postponed for Later™.

Activate it with: (credit to Jeffalo for the original code for the beta editor, modified by me)
document.querySelector('#app')._reactRootContainer._internalRoot.current.child.stateNode.store.dispatch({
    type: "scratch-gui/theme/SET_THEME",
    theme: "dark"
});

NOTE: The below replies are from back when this topic was also about dark mode (which was an option earlier in this feature's development).

Last edited by CST1229 (June 30, 2023 09:52:20)

This is a signature. It's a piece of text that appears below every post I write. Click here to learn more, including how to make your own.

Thanks Jeffalo
RIP assets image hosting. 2013?-2023

JackyBorderCollie
Scratcher
1000+ posts

hopefully they will add this to the offline editor, we use that in school a lot, and it is pain to look at the light mode since i use dark mode for the school chat app

gilvasunner is epic
JackyBorderCollie
Thanks to ввcode corner for the gradient in my siggy!
WojtekGame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Probably in night mode

forgot to update sig, i own minecraft months ago lol
maybe even a year at this point
INSERT-USER_NAME
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is definitely quite cool. I hope this gets added sometime soon.

Also bump.

consider posting here maybe?
hey guys
lolecksdeehaha
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CST1229 wrote:

The themes look like this (obviously they won't look like this once fully implemented):

that doesn't look very high contrast to me…

Beep boop. I am a robot, and this action was performed automatically. If you have any concerns, please contact the owner of this robot.

ing season coming “soon”

I'm the founder of Forumoji, the source of all those neat forum emojis you occasionally see (the ones not in the default menu).

TheSecondGilbert
Scratcher
100+ posts

Aw, I thought the dark mode would be using the normal contrast blocks but with a dark background… (because the contrast would be even better that way)
That's a pity.

Hi! This is an alt of my main account.
I'm “back” from a 10-month hiatus.
I forgot the ways of the forums, so I might be wrong.
My first post!
SavetheAtlantic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lolecksdeehaha wrote:

CST1229 wrote:

The themes look like this (obviously they won't look like this once fully implemented):

People complained about the original design which had a much higher contrast. Granted, there wasn't much information and it was assumed that the high contrast mode would be the default.
mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm not a contrast expert by any means, but doesn't that new mode have less contrast?

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
TheSecondGilbert
Scratcher
100+ posts

SavetheAtlantic wrote:

lolecksdeehaha wrote:

CST1229 wrote:

People complained about the original design which had a much higher contrast. Granted, there wasn't much information and it was assumed that the high contrast mode would be the default.
What the- they already had the design worked out, and now they retracted it because people hated it? It's not even properly done; now the contrast is worse than it was before!

My first post!
INSERT-USER_NAME
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Y'all,

CST1229 wrote:

obviously they won't look like this once fully implemented

They're a work in progress, the text is supposed to be black on the high contrast blocks and probably will be when they release.

Last edited by INSERT-USER_NAME (Feb. 15, 2023 06:10:04)

consider posting here maybe?
hey guys
TheSecondGilbert
Scratcher
100+ posts

INSERT-USER_NAME wrote:

Y'all,

CST1229 wrote:

obviously they won't look like this once fully implemented

They're a work in progress, the text is supposed to be black on the high contrast blocks and probably will be when they release.
Good point.

My first post!
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

As you may have known, I've tried messing around with scratch-www's CSS to try making a consistent dark mode, only to realize that the site breaks in most places. So, ummm, in combination with a ~1m30s build time, good luck to anyone adding dark mode in the future :\

At least scratch-gui's colors are more consistent
CST1229
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheSecondGilbert wrote:

What the- they already had the design worked out, and now they retracted it because people hated it? It's not even properly done; now the contrast is worse than it was before!
That isn't final!! It will probably look like Scratch Lab when it's finished (probably that changing text color hasn't been implemented yet).
(oops, i keep not reading context; someone already responded)

Last edited by CST1229 (Feb. 15, 2023 14:04:36)

This is a signature. It's a piece of text that appears below every post I write. Click here to learn more, including how to make your own.

Thanks Jeffalo
RIP assets image hosting. 2013?-2023

gilbert_given_189
Scratcher
500+ posts

CST1229 wrote:

TheSecondGilbert wrote:

That isn't final!! It will probably look like Scratch Lab when it's finished (probably that changing text color hasn't been implemented yet).

TheSecondGilbert wrote:

Good point.
I've should've said “point taken”.

If you see a line above this text, it means that below this text is my signature.
This place is just a memory to me, I may return occasionally but I'm busy.
I guess I'm an ATer now.

I think I may have seasoned my posts a bit too much.
Also, my posts are getting lengthy lately. Whoops.

Colored Pencil is supposed to color the siggy, but Scratch says it's too big.

There is nothing here…

don don pan pan
dondo pan pan
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajskateboarder wrote:

As you may have known, I've tried messing around with scratch-www's CSS to try making a consistent dark mode, only to realize that the site breaks in most places. So, ummm, in combination with a ~1m30s build time, good luck to anyone adding dark mode in the future :\

it’s way easier to just apply/write a userstyle or use scrape modules. I’ve done both.

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchCatHELLO wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

it’s way easier to just apply/write a userstyle or use scrape modules. I’ve done both.
It was for a pull request, not just for me. I would obviously use an extension otherwise
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajskateboarder wrote:

ScratchCatHELLO wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

It was for a pull request, not just for me. I would obviously use an extension otherwise

k. how does it break the site to change css? couldn’t you, say, have variables for each color (primary, background, foreground, etc) and then modify the variables based on a cookie?

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
thmnko
Scratcher
56 posts

scratch team did another thing

trh rthtfghfhhfghghafgth v]
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchCatHELLO wrote:

k. how does it break the site to change css? couldn’t you, say, have variables for each color (primary, background, foreground, etc)
Basically, some parts of the site may use a UI color for a background while others use it as a text color.
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is the beginning, of the end..

The fact that there is a theme selector gives me some hope that it will be optional

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH