Discuss Scratch

kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

Make Gobo, Giga, Pico, Nano have more memorizable names

HeliosTheSuperior wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

RL1123 wrote:

To be honest, I think that renaming the mascots would give more memorization to the people currently on Scratch as they have to relearn the “names” again. These names have been the same for many, many years and there's really no point in changing them.

By the way, the names for Gobo's Friends are derived from metric prefixes for powers of 10:
“Pico” means 10 to the −12th
“Nano” means 10 to the −9th
“Giga” means 10 to the 9th
“Tera” means 10to the 12th

kentkoide wrote:

Well, just discontinue all 4 mascots, leaving only scratch cat instead.
Well, if you introduce somebody’s name first, it could be confusing
Uhhh no it wouldn't be?????????????
Most names are like 4 syllables most but it's usually lower than that and the mascots all have 2 syllable names which are very easy to pronounce (I think it's all IPA pronounciation except maybe Nano???).
Then call them like character giga, gobo, nano, tera, all with the word character.

to view scratch 1.x versions : archive.glitch.pizza (I have no idea why it got the name pizza) and u can also view pre-releases of it, cool
About Me:
Male
Japanese who can speak English and Japanese, and some Mandarin
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
if <[followers and views] > [1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]> then
become happy
play sound [Soviet March ]
go to [scratchstats.org ]
if <(kumquat) = (near?) > then
kill all the kumquats in the universe
inform everybody about the death about the evil kumquats
make more games
end
end
end
ScolderCreations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RL1123 wrote:

To be honest, I think that renaming the mascots would give more memorization to the people currently on Scratch as they have to relearn the “names” again. These names have been the same for many, many years and there's really no point in changing them. By the way, the names for Gobo's Friends are derived from metric prefixes for powers of 10:
“Pico” means 10 to the −12th “Nano” means 10 to the −9th “Giga” means 10 to the 9th “Tera” means 10to the 12th

kentkoide wrote:

Well, just discontinue all 4 mascots, leaving only scratch cat instead.
Well, if you introduce somebody’s name first, it could be confusing
Uhhh no it wouldn't be????????????? Most names are like 4 syllables most but it's usually lower than that and the mascots all have 2 syllable names which are very easy to pronounce (I think it's all IPA pronounciation except maybe Nano???).
Then call them like character giga, gobo, nano, tera, all with the word character.
Why? Why not just call them by their own unique names, give them a useless prefix? It seems like you're just trying to make a useless suggestion, I don't understand.

Last edited by ScolderCreations (July 28, 2022 22:49:37)

musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think you might’ve missed this point I made.

musicROCKS013 wrote:

Honestly, if this was implemented (renaming them, not removing them) I would still call them by their metric prefix names. I don’t think this would really change anything, but confuse new scratchers about why people are saying metric prefixes and who “Tera” and “Pico” are.

Shift + Down arrow to see the rest of my signature

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

Scratch should be politically neutral.

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

This is my signature. I am allowed to adertize here.

_______________\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Please Click —> This project is literally my life's work. <— Please Click
_______________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jenny LeClue is the best
glomeromycota
Scratcher
100+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

No. Would you ever rename Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse? They are the Donalds and Mickeys of Scratch.
Well, then just name it like monster 1 2 3 4 and so on and so forth.
So you saying then we COULD turn Mickey into Mouse 1, Minnie to Mouse 2, etc? Because no one will ever remember those.
Yes.
So naming Pico, for example, Monster 1 would be MORE memorable than Pico. +all the names for them are based off of units of measurement which is just so cool.
But younger people who use scratch may not know what's even a unit of measurement.
1. the probably will know
2. they don't need to know that the names are units

I used to be this guy
I own a namesnipe here
the

;
portalpower
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why?

thank you for reading my post and have a nice day!
shift+down to view my signature

idk what to put here.
DinoMaster20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

Yeah, numbers are easier to remember.
The debate here is really just this:

What matters more? Fun or memorization?
I think fun, but memorization is also important and really matters.
If fun is more important, that's what we need to go with. Not numbers.

kentkoide wrote:

Yeah, numbers are easier to remember.
Matching a number to a character would be hard IMO. Names, much easier.

Last edited by DinoMaster20 (July 29, 2022 00:45:08)

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow, 00:00:00)
~ ᴅᴍ20 ~
This is my forum signature! It shows up under every post I make! Here is more info!
ERRØR; THE NEXT BIG THING “Resolved” Button for QaS
/\ Male /\ Forumer /\ TokTik /\ Chatsnap /\
/\ Scratch Wiki /\ Community Guidelines /\ Scratch Team /\ Postpercent /\ Ocular
Currently most active on the forums! I don't make projects, I might come out with one in 100 years.

thanks to rl1123 for gif, and hosting it bc my braindead self couldn't do it
I have eaten the rest of DinoMaster20's siggy! Yum! Find out how to stop evil kumquats like myself here: Evil Kumquat Guards
TheGlassPenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Uhh…no. I don’t know about anyone else, but for me numbers are harder to memorize than names. Beyond that, the names are fine anyway, so why change them and remove all sense of uniqueness from them? Removing them would be an even worse idea, these characters have become a core part of Scratch and it’s identity, and if they were removed, there would be a lot of angry people.

Last edited by TheGlassPenguin (July 29, 2022 00:58:00)

han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

hey remember tera

I don't think to be renamed… How are we supposed to know if Giga is Monster 1 or 2?

<Scratch Wikian | Forum Helper | 6000+ Posts>

Credit to -gge for the icons in my signature | I condensed all this code into five lines using [p] tags, idk why

-iviedwall-
Scratcher
500+ posts

Numbers are the most difficult data to remember, and it is more complex to memorize than images and words. And even more challenging to match them with pictures. I don't want to call people “Human 1”, “Human 2,” etc.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm seeing points on how numbers are easier to memorize — and I suppose they are, to a point — but I think it would probably be easier to collectively remember the numbers, but not remember which number belongs to which specific monster.

What I mean is: If someone goes to my profile and asks “Hey, what do you think of the Monster 2 sprite? Also why are you saying ‘apple’ a lot?” My first thought would be “Oh boy, time to go to the sprite library to figure out who Monster 2 is because I've certainly forgotten.”

While I do think it would technically be easier for me to remember that the mascots are collectively named Monster 1, 2, 3, 4, I don't think it would be easier for me to remember which one Monster 4 is.

I'm also unsure of the utility of outright deleting the Monsters if no one can get used to their names. What would deleting them solve? I could maybe understand it if you suggested that the Scratch Team just keep them contained in the sprite library and not show them elsewhere in the website, but I'm not sure what the point of that would be either.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

I'm seeing points on how numbers are easier to memorize — and I suppose they are, to a point — but I think it would probably be easier to collectively remember the numbers, but not remember which number belongs to which specific monster.

What I mean is: If someone goes to my profile and asks “Hey, what do you think of the Monster 2 sprite? Also why are you saying ‘apple’ a lot?” My first thought would be “Oh boy, time to go to the sprite library to figure out who Monster 2 is because I've certainly forgotten.”

While I do think it would technically be easier for me to remember that the mascots are collectively named Monster 1, 2, 3, 4, I don't think it would be easier for me to remember which one Monster 4 is.

I'm also unsure of the utility of outright deleting the Monsters if no one can get used to their names. What would deleting them solve? I could maybe understand it if you suggested that the Scratch Team just keep them contained in the sprite library and not show them elsewhere in the website, but I'm not sure what the point of that would be either.
Well, Only show them in the sprite library, and not show them elsewhere, except Scratch Cat then.

to view scratch 1.x versions : archive.glitch.pizza (I have no idea why it got the name pizza) and u can also view pre-releases of it, cool
About Me:
Male
Japanese who can speak English and Japanese, and some Mandarin
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
if <[followers and views] > [1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]> then
become happy
play sound [Soviet March ]
go to [scratchstats.org ]
if <(kumquat) = (near?) > then
kill all the kumquats in the universe
inform everybody about the death about the evil kumquats
make more games
end
end
end
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

Well, Only show them in the sprite library, and not show them elsewhere, except Scratch Cat then.
Why? What problems are the mascots causing?

After answering that question, think: What proof do you have that this problem is relevant enough for this to get implemented?

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

Jenny LeClue is the best
Sliverus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wait a second, what does that make Scratch Cat? Cat-1?
HeliosTheSuperior
Scratcher
100+ posts

you arent even coming up with one suggestion, you keep changing what youre suggesting.

You see, sensei~
I love how deep your voice can get. I've been recording and collecting it as MP3s.
I've gone absolutely crazy. From the Internet, I downloaded Audacity.
Cutting, pasting, until it was complete.
“Sensei whispering his love to me.mp3” <3

Hello, I'm Helios and I use they/xe/he >:​​^)
I'm an artist and a writer and I do cool stuff. :​​P
I'm currently working on my first-person story Teacher's Pet Chronicles! The story is about a girl who tells on one student, and then becomes thirsty to tattle on them all! But some classmates aren't easy targets, some are almost impossible to tattle on. Can she remove all of them from the classroom? Will her teacher notice her actions? Hmm…
I'm also working on a collection of poems called “I Wish I Were Them”. It's about a boy who is obsessed with the lives of others.
Yin-_-Yang
Scratcher
100+ posts

With pico, nano, etc, you would be able to differentiate them much easier. But imagine trying to find which mascot is which with Monster 1, Monster 2, etc! You guessed it - you would mix them all up. It would also take away some fun from the community! Deleting them would confuse the community about why the 4 mascots just disappeared. Imagine just trying to get a mascot - but you can't find it even when you search its exact name! I don't see the point in this. You've change the subject of this like 3 times.

Last edited by Yin-_-Yang (July 29, 2022 19:46:16)

Lasetdtied by kaj (June -2 1923 00:00:00)

Hi!
PROTECT YOURSELF FROM EVIL KUMQUATS TODAY! (unfinished)
<(5) [odd v] ? :: operators>
peppino
I know this is a signature but…
when somebody goes to my profile :: events hat
if <did they comment on my profile? :: sensing> then
reply [what] :: control
end
Plz don't call me YY.
You can call me Yin
Cool FPS system
when green flag clicked
forever
change [counter v] by (1)
if <(timer) > [1]> then
set [FPS v] to (counter)
set [counter v] to [0]
reset timer
end
end
;
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

So, just to get things straight, who will be Monster1, Monster2, etc?

I assume this is the order?:

Gobo - Monster 1
Giga - Monster 2
Pico - Monster 3
Nano - Monster 4
Tera - Monster 5

Also I just realized you forgot Tera.

Jenny LeClue is the best
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

So, just to get things straight, who will be Monster1, Monster2, etc?

I assume this is the order?:

Gobo - Monster 1
Giga - Monster 2
Pico - Monster 3
Nano - Monster 4
Tera - Monster 5

Also I just realized you forgot Tera.
Yeah but this better not happen to my precious Tera.

^-^::#ff70d2 cap

Probably analyzing a book or something.
Yin-_-Yang
Scratcher
100+ posts

I understand why you want to do this - but I also don't. I feel you - you think it would be easier to memorize. And if we can't agree on anything, they should just be deleted. But there are many reasons not to. One reason - when the names get changed (they almost certainly won't), the community wouldn't know their real names - they would search their old names, but they couldn't find them because their names were changed.

Hi!
peppino
end
Plz don't call me YY.
You can call me Yin
Cool FPS system
when green flag clicked
forever
change [counter v] by (1)
if <(timer) > [1]> then
set [FPS v] to (counter)
set [counter v] to [0]
reset timer
end
end
;
The_5th_Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

No support, Giga, Pico, Nano, and Tera being units of measurements is a (really) fun thing to find out. I think names are just fine.

Also, does this suggestion extend to the people category? Then they would have to name each character (they also have names) Persons 1-64

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Sorry, you have to wait 60 seconds between posts. | I'm on the scratch wiki! | Naming Scripts | Var Sensing | Tracing Shop | Fifth's Adventure

Winston Churchill said:
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

The 5th Scratcher
User #62532525, Cat Owner, Minecrafter, much more…

This is my current profile pic!

Yin-_-Yang
Scratcher
100+ posts

The_5th_Scratcher wrote:

No support, Giga, Pico, Nano, and Tera being units of measurements is a (really) fun thing to find out. I think names are just fine.

Also, does this suggestion extend to the people category? Then they would have to name each character (they also have names) Persons 1-64
I agree, no support. This would confuse the entire community.

Hi!
peppino
end
Plz don't call me YY.
You can call me Yin
Cool FPS system
when green flag clicked
forever