Discuss Scratch

kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

Make Gobo, Giga, Pico, Nano have more memorizable names

ScolderCreations wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

Personally, I don’t see why it’s important that new scratchers need to memorize these mascots’ name.
Well, just discontinue all 4 mascots, leaving only scratch cat instead.
Why the heck would we do that? Do you have a grudge against the mascots? Did they steal your Cheezits? What happened that made you decide they should be renamed or removed?
Only one mascot can be ideal for a kids website.

to view scratch 1.x versions : archive.glitch.pizza (I have no idea why it got the name pizza) and u can also view pre-releases of it, cool
About Me:
Male
Japanese who can speak English and Japanese, and some Mandarin
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
if <[followers and views] > [1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]> then
become happy
play sound [Soviet March ]
go to [scratchstats.org ]
if <(kumquat) = (near?) > then
kill all the kumquats in the universe
inform everybody about the death about the evil kumquats
make more games
end
end
end
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

It's called an EASTER EGG. You won't pick up on it if you don't look for it. It's fun
It tells you in the sprite library. This isn’t exactly an Easter egg. Plus, this is discussing the memorization of the names, not letting them be clearer to learn.

Shift + Down arrow to see the rest of my signature

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

Scratch should be politically neutral.

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

This is my signature. I am allowed to adertize here.

_______________\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Please Click —> This project is literally my life's work. <— Please Click
_______________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jenny LeClue is the best
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

Yeah, numbers are easier to remember.
The debate here is really just this:

What matters more? Fun or memorization?
I think fun, but memorization is also important and really matters.
If you had fun with the names, you'd remember them. Plus, the names aren't so long. It's really not as difficult as you are making it.

^-^::#ff70d2 cap

Probably analyzing a book or something.
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

Ideal in what way? What are you even arguing anymore?? First you want to change their names, now remove the mascots entirely?

What do you have against the mascots?

Last edited by musicROCKS013 (July 28, 2022 21:58:10)

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

Jenny LeClue is the best
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

Ideal in what way? What are you even arguing anymore?? First you want to change their names, now remove the mascots entirely?

Yeah… does anything have 1 mascot????????

kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

If you had fun with the names, you'd remember them. Plus, the names aren't so long. It's really not as difficult as you are making it.
But when you’re suddenly came up with those names and show them to new users, it could be confusing.

to view scratch 1.x versions : archive.glitch.pizza (I have no idea why it got the name pizza) and u can also view pre-releases of it, cool
About Me:
Male
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
if <[followers and views] > [1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]> then
become happy
make more games
end
end
end
kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

If nobody agrees on changing their names, then just delete them.

About Me:
Male
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
become happy
make more games
end
end
end
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

But when you’re suddenly came up with those names and show them to new users, it could be confusing.
Ok? The blocks are confusing too so why don't we get rid of those? Oh but text is even harder so we should make the workstation a white background. No matter what you do, it's always going to be confusing. They get over it or don't.

musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

Change everyone’s username to “Scratcher_[scratcher ID]” because it’s easier to learn and less confusing.

Jenny LeClue is the best
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

If nobody agrees on changing their names, then just delete them.
This is just turning into one of those, “If I can’t enjoy it then nobody should be able to enjoy it.” arguments.

Jenny LeClue is the best
kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

Change everyone’s username to “Scratcher_[scratcher ID]” because it’s easier to learn and less confusing.
More confusing since there are billions of scratchers. But those mascots are only 4 right?

About Me:
Male
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
become happy
make more games
end
end
end
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

More confusing since there are billions of scratchers. But those mascots are only 4 right?
…and what about Neigh Pony? And all the other sprites? Will they get renamed to “Sprite 1” because remember Unicorn is too hard?

musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

It’s not hard to learn the names. Even if it was, it doesn’t matter anyways.

Jenny LeClue is the best
kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

…and what about Neigh Pony? And all the other sprites? Will they get renamed to “Sprite 1” because remember Unicorn is too hard?
Neigh pony isn’t even a mascot!

About Me:
Male
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
become happy
make more games
end
end
end
HeliosTheSuperior
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'd have a much harder time remembering which character is which number.
Plus, “monster 1” is NOT a name. This would literally make them no longer characters and just a design. Which isn't really important, but yk.
Also, it's way too late in Scratch's development to rename such iconic characters who have been here so early in development.
This isn't even an issue, it's not like you have to remember these names to use Scratch.

You see, sensei~
I love how deep your voice can get. I've been recording and collecting it as MP3s.
I've gone absolutely crazy. From the Internet, I downloaded Audacity.
Cutting, pasting, until it was complete.
“Sensei whispering his love to me.mp3” <3

Hello, I'm Helios and I use they/xe/he >:​​^)
I'm an artist and a writer and I do cool stuff. :​​P
I'm currently working on my first-person story Teacher's Pet Chronicles! The story is about a girl who tells on one student, and then becomes thirsty to tattle on them all! But some classmates aren't easy targets, some are almost impossible to tattle on. Can she remove all of them from the classroom? Will her teacher notice her actions? Hmm…
I'm also working on a collection of poems called “I Wish I Were Them”. It's about a boy who is obsessed with the lives of others.
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

HeliosTheSuperior wrote:

This isn't even an issue, it's not like you have to remember these names to use Scratch.
True. If you just look for it in the sprite list, you'll find it eventually.

RL1123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

To be honest, I think that renaming the mascots would give more memorization to the people currently on Scratch as they have to relearn the “names” again. These names have been the same for many, many years and there's really no point in changing them.

By the way, the names for Gobo's Friends are derived from metric prefixes for powers of 10:
“Pico” means 10 to the −12th
“Nano” means 10 to the −9th
“Giga” means 10 to the 9th
“Tera” means 10to the 12th

kentkoide wrote:

through tough thorough thought, though

Signature #11
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Honestly, if this was implemented (renaming them, not removing them) I would still call them by their metric prefix names. I don’t think this would really change anything, but confuse new scratchers about why people are saying metric prefixes and who “Tera” and “Pico” are.

Jenny LeClue is the best
kentkoide
Scratcher
100+ posts

RL1123 wrote:

To be honest, I think that renaming the mascots would give more memorization to the people currently on Scratch as they have to relearn the “names” again. These names have been the same for many, many years and there's really no point in changing them.

By the way, the names for Gobo's Friends are derived from metric prefixes for powers of 10:

kentkoide wrote:

Well, if you introduce somebody’s name first, it could be confusing

About Me:
Male
Project Nerd
Tech Guy
Taurus
Atheist

Be whatever you want

when green flag clicked
forever
become happy
make more games
end
end
end
HeliosTheSuperior
Scratcher
100+ posts

kentkoide wrote:

RL1123 wrote:

kentkoide wrote:

Well, if you introduce somebody’s name first, it could be confusing
Uhhh no it wouldn't be?????????????
Most names are like 4 syllables most but it's usually lower than that and the mascots all have 2 syllable names which are very easy to pronounce (I think it's all IPA pronounciation except maybe Nano???).

You see, sensei~
I love how deep your voice can get. I've been recording and collecting it as MP3s.
I've gone absolutely crazy. From the Internet, I downloaded Audacity.
Cutting, pasting, until it was complete.
“Sensei whispering his love to me.mp3” <3

Hello, I'm Helios and I use they/xe/he >:​​^)
I'm an artist and a writer and I do cool stuff. :​​P
I'm currently working on my first-person story Teacher's Pet Chronicles! The story is about a girl who tells on one student, and then becomes thirsty to tattle on them all! But some classmates aren't easy targets, some are almost impossible to tattle on. Can she remove all of them from the classroom? Will her teacher notice her actions? Hmm…
I'm also working on a collection of poems called “I Wish I Were Them”. It's about a boy who is obsessed with the lives of others.