Discuss Scratch

FanaticReturns
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

This would be a great feature because they can use Display Names. (if you searched up the original username in the search bar the projects created by them would still be there)

To avoid impersonation, long display names, display names with spaces and display names with inappropriate or disrespectful words, there would be a username filter.

I made a mock-up on the account settings and the page to show the display name change.

Sorry if inappropriate is misspelled. I am not good at typing the word. Anyways, Scratch On!

I'm a retired scratcher since May 28th 2023.
fox_creations
Scratcher
63 posts

Display Names

sadly, this suggestion was already rejected

Last edited by fox_creations (Oct. 2, 2021 11:16:35)

hey, this is my signature. and this is an amazing game i made! click on this picture to play my game!

btw this is my kumquat protector:
<ㆆ_ㆆ> 

Reev0102
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

Would you still be able to see the original username?
fox_creations
Scratcher
63 posts

Display Names

Reev0102 wrote:

are you supporting?

Last edited by fox_creations (Oct. 2, 2021 11:12:27)

hey, this is my signature. and this is an amazing game i made! click on this picture to play my game!

<ㆆ_ㆆ> 

FanaticReturns
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

Reev0102 wrote:

Yes. They would still be able to see the username.

fox_creations
Scratcher
63 posts

Display Names

FanaticReturns wrote:

Reev0102 wrote:

Yes. They would still be able to see the username.

so my opinion is that the old name will stay for like one week, then it would dissappear.

Last edited by fox_creations (Oct. 2, 2021 11:14:32)

<ㆆ_ㆆ> 

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

Sorry, this is rejected.
8.1 Changing usernames
If a user could change their username (or even set a certain “nickname”), this could be very confusing for the Scratch community, especially for those following that user. In addition, this would make moderation of the website more difficult because it would be harder for the Scratch Team to keep an eye on what a user may be doing. The Scratch Team has allowed username changes only on very rare occasions, such as if the username contained inappropriate content or personal information. Generally, the Scratch Team does not change usernames on request (including for reasons such as “I do not like my current username anymore”).

However, because of the way that usernames are stored on the server, changing the cases of letters in your username (for example, changing @Za-Chary to @ZA-CHARY) is NOT rejected; you can discuss it on this topic.
Please read The Official List of Rejected Suggestions before posting.

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
FanaticReturns
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

mybearworld wrote:

Sorry, this is rejected.
8.1 Changing usernames
If a user could change their username (or even set a certain “nickname”), this could be very confusing for the Scratch community, especially for those following that user. In addition, this would make moderation of the website more difficult because it would be harder for the Scratch Team to keep an eye on what a user may be doing. The Scratch Team has allowed username changes only on very rare occasions, such as if the username contained inappropriate content or personal information. Generally, the Scratch Team does not change usernames on request (including for reasons such as “I do not like my current username anymore”).

However, because of the way that usernames are stored on the server, changing the cases of letters in your username (for example, changing @Za-Chary to @ZA-CHARY) is NOT rejected; you can discuss it on this topic.
Its display names, and they would still appear if they typed the username or display name.

Last edited by FanaticReturns (Oct. 2, 2021 11:22:29)

Quantum-Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

FanaticReturns wrote:

mybearworld wrote:

Sorry, this is rejected.
8.1 Changing usernames

Its display names, and they would still appear if they typed the username or display name.
A different name for something doesn't mean that it isn't rejected. Nicknames (or Display Names) are confusing - in a hypothetical scenario, imagine if Griffpatch set his display name to ‘Griffcodes’. Some users will start referring to him using his display name, which others will think is another ‘rip-off’ account.

Notice: Everything below the solid grey line (↑↑) above is my signature and appears on every post I make. Here, it is okay for you to advertise
your projects and other creations. To create your own, scroll to the bottom of the Discussion Home page and select “change your signature”.

I aplogise if I seem a bit too serious on the forums, but I am always open to feedback on my profile.
Past PPTBF Curator || Forum Helper (TFH) || Some Python, HTML and C

————————————————————————————

————————————————————————————
Quantum-Cat
dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

FanaticReturns wrote:

mybearworld wrote:

Sorry, this is rejected.
8.1 Changing usernames

Doesn't solve any problems with this.
FanaticReturns
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

Quantum-Cat wrote:

FanaticReturns wrote:

mybearworld wrote:

Sorry, this is rejected.
8.1 Changing usernames

A different name for something doesn't mean that it isn't rejected. Nicknames (or Display Names) are confusing - in a hypothetical scenario, imagine if Griffpatch set his display name to ‘Griffcodes’. Some users will start referring to him using his display name, which others will think is another ‘rip-off’ account.
The username would still be visible, just so people don’t confuse them.

dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

FanaticReturns wrote:

Quantum-Cat wrote:

FanaticReturns wrote:

mybearworld wrote:

Sorry, this is rejected.
8.1 Changing usernames

The username would still be visible, just so people don’t confuse them.
Again, that still doesn't mean it's not rejected.
Vaibhs11
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

You see guys, the rejected ones' problem is that of there is a link to a person who recently changed their name, the link would be outdated and would confuse people.
This suggestion change the name beside the pfp but doesn't change the link.

Maybe a pair of brackets contrasting the link name would help?
Or maybe it is rejected. I'm not sure.

Last edited by Vaibhs11 (Oct. 2, 2021 14:38:24)

FanaticReturns
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

Vaibhs11 wrote:

You see guys, the rejected ones' problem is that of there is a link to a person who recently changed their name, the link would be outdated and would confuse people.

The link wouldn’t be outdated.

Vaibhs11
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

FanaticReturns wrote:

Vaibhs11 wrote:

Yeah, in your suggestion. The link will be dead in the case of the rejected one.

Containing, not contrasting. autocorrect issues

Last edited by Vaibhs11 (Oct. 2, 2021 14:40:32)

DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

Vaibhs11 wrote:

FanaticReturns wrote:

Vaibhs11 wrote:

Yeah, in your suggestion. The link will be dead in the case of the rejected one.

Containing, not contrasting. autocorrect issues
The actual rejection of changing usernames, yes, that's true. The inclusion of setting a nickname/display name is also rejected, though. Read the quote.

Yes, this is rejected. This suggestion hasn't solved any of the problems included in the TOLORS quote.
Some of these problems are:
-It's can easily become confusing, especially with more famous Scratchers.
-A bit harder to track down individual users, therefore making moderation more difficult.
-It could lead to mis-linking, as a nickname/display name could be the same as another user's username.
-May or may not make it easier to impersonate.

Last edited by DarthVader4Life (Oct. 2, 2021 15:05:34)

Be Moist Also, here's a helpful link to Ocular
I am DV4L, Erector of Text Walls, Typer of Long Posts, Creator of Mini-mod posts
The kumquats have eaten this line, so I have to have a new way to repel them.
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Display Names

mybearworld wrote:

Sorry, this is rejected.
8.1 Changing usernames

Sorry, but even as “display names” or nicknames, this is something we've decided not to add to Scratch.