1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

"I Think This Could Possibly Be Just Ever So Slightly Unneeded For The Forums"
an opinion essay - ajskateboarder
Sliverus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

I think all of the “no support because it's unnecessary” suggestions are a bit redundant. What is a “necessary” suggestion, then? All of these suggestions are ideas that the Scratch Team can choose to do if they want. Even if some ideas are good ideas, none of them are “necessary” per se.
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

this is added

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH

pasta_enjoyer7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

this is added
Pretty sure the OP means to capitalize “topic,” not just “New.”

Happy almost-mid 2024! My favorite book series are Percy Jackson, The Unwanteds, and Keeper of the Lost Cities! I've read all of the books.

Here's a Scratch Partners studio you can join if you're new OR if you want to help out someone new!
Crispydogs101
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

It is now called “New topic” and not “new topic” so possibly I hope that is what you mean.

Hey! Look at this DTA!
Hej! My username is @Crispydogs101. I like listening to music, playing games, and more!
Sarah and duck, Pete the cat, Pegboard nerds, Tokyo machine, FORZA FAN!! Be High contrast Blue Be rich
hydrofungus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

What
You want to capitalize 1 letter to make it professional?????
This ain’t needed and why do we have to capitalize everything

Remember kids, don’t eat batteries dipped in paint thinner and anti-freeze

hey, you can call me kyoo
I am a minor on the internet, who’s also apparently an artist and a coder
April 13th - Non-binary - Aroace - Any pronouns

I know Scratch and HTML, and I’ve been doing art for as long as I can remember.

enjoy this picture of Five from Glitch Techs :’)

Sliverus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

Crispydogs101 wrote:

It is now called “New topic” and not “new topic” so possibly I hope that is what you mean.
It was always called “New topic” even when I used the forums in 2020.

hydrofungus wrote:

What
You want to capitalize 1 letter to make it professional?????
This ain’t needed and why do we have to capitalize everything
I think you're drastically undermining how important being professional is, especially on a site meant for education, where parents and schools will be using it often and being very observant.

Last edited by Sliverus (Dec. 17, 2023 04:43:14)

FirstPrism12
Scratcher
100+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

This is literally useless. Why would anyone care about being professional on a website intended for eight to sixteen-year-olds? Even if some other person did care, it wouldn't be cantankerous to live without one letter being capitalized.

vVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvV
my 100th post
Generation IX (9): the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
Yes, I do tierlists. Don't ask me why, don't ask me how. I just do them. - FirstPrism12, Nov 16 2023

when green flag clicked
forever
if <evil kumquat spotted ?> then
bonk x1000
end
end\

This is Cresmo the Kumquat. Don't worry, he is perfectly safe and has been reformed.

((((((((((((((((<^v^>))))))))))))))))

Alejandro from Total Drama is C tier
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

FirstPrism12 wrote:

This is literally useless. Why would anyone care about being professional on a website intended for eight to sixteen-year-olds? Even if some other person did care, it wouldn't be cantankerous to live without one letter being capitalized.
LOL
Also, I feel like I remember people complaining about “Account settings” too, so yea.. and there was someone recently who made sth about “discouraging posts with writing like this: I Am On A Computer”

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

this is added
The original poster means topic as well, like with what I stated above.

Last edited by medians (Dec. 18, 2023 00:29:48)

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;
Sliverus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

FirstPrism12 wrote:

It's a bit ironic, since I feel like the same users who are against this suggestion are also people who said on the “discourage users from using improper grammar” suggestion that improper grammar bothered them. Evidently, grammatical errors actually do bother people. I think what's really happening is that people are desperately trying to poke holes, desperately finding reasons not to support it, instead of looking at my from an unbiased angle and thinking about whether the pros outweigh the cons.

And in this case, I do think the pros outweigh the cons. As mentioned before, I think you're drastically undermining how important being professional is, especially on a site meant for education, where parents and schools will be using it often – there's an issue: marketing. The Scratch Team wants to, in a sense, convince teachers that Scratch offers something that other sites like Snap! don't have. First impressions matter, especially in business. But I won't get too deep into this because it's a relatively minor, yet slightly more helpful, change.

So let's see:

PROS
  • Grammatical accuracy
  • Sets a slightly better first impression for parents and teachers
  • Requires very little development time and funding

CONS
  • Not technically needed
Minor improvements to the site with virtually no cons whatsoever, are completely fine. And in this case, I think the pros outweigh the (non-existent) cons.
-Expo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

medians wrote:

Unithlees3 wrote:

no support
why is this even needed
some people pay attention to this (especially ND people, who notice small things better than others)

OCD be like

Scroll down / desplazarse hacia abajo | El español está abajo :D | Gib internet

Hello, I'm @-Expo! I'm a veteran Scratcher and member of the Scratch translation team who has been on Scratch ever since I was four (a long time ago!) In real life, I am a proffesional footballer for the Asociación de Fútbol Argentino and Brighton. I'm a huge Huge FC Barcelona Fan and loyal subject to Rosario Central. I use scratch for coding, making friends, and helping people out. I hope you enjoy my projects!

-ExpoEspanol

Why are you here?
BringUpYourPost
Scratcher
500+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

No Support, I Don't Capitalise Every Word In A Sentence Without It Being Weird
106809nes
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

dertermenter wrote:

ONG! How unprofessional! And since the button on all sub forums are all English, you don’t even have to translate it!
[sarcasm]Yes, Everything In The Forums Must Be Capitilised To Be Professional. So Add A Capital Letter To Make Them Professional[/sarcasm]

No. It's added.
Plus “topic” doesn't need to be capitalized.

“MY daughter wants to see MEEEEEEEEEEEEE! TAKE THAT DEPREssion..!” - Lucifer 2024
dertermenter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

BringUpYourPost wrote:

Scratch Captilisation rules is that if 2 words are paired together, both of them should be capitalised unless the second word is a preposition. “topic” is not a preposition so it needs to be capitalised.

106809nes wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

ONG! How unprofessional! And since the button on all sub forums are all English, you don’t even have to translate it!
[sarcasm]Yes, Everything In The Forums Must Be Capitilised To Be Professional. So Add A Capital Letter To Make Them Professional[/sarcasm]

No. It's added.
It does, see above.

Sliverus wrote:

I think all of the “no support because it's unnecessary” suggestions are a bit redundant. What is a “necessary” suggestion, then? All of these suggestions are ideas that the Scratch Team can choose to do if they want. Even if some ideas are good ideas, none of them are “necessary” per se.
No suggestion is necessary and if it is than it’s a bug report - and this seems like a bug to me, it’s definitely unintentional as it doesn’t follow the scratch capitalisation rules.

The2000 wrote:

All suggestions are unnecessary. If a suggestion is necessary then it's a bug report.

dertermenter wrote:

April Fools Day on the forums has been a repeated privilege, not an expectation
The-Sushi-Cat
Scratcher
500+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

W a i t

Isn't It Already Capitlaized

Unless You Want “topic” To Also Be Capitalized But It Doesn't Really Matter Lol

An evil kumquat ate my first username lol

Call me Sushi!

They/He/It/She in order of preference

A little part of me dies inside when someone says, “He/She” instead of just using they-

Try to refrain from saying, ‘No support’. It comes off as extremely negative. “The forums are for criticism! Don't post it you don't want it!” Agreed. But I never said that you should agree with everyone. No suggestion will ever be perfect
What sounds more constructive?
“No support, people would spam with it”
“This would lead to a lot of spam, since people can't get away from it. Not to mention, it might upset a few people with the way it's implemented”

In #1, you didn't help OP at all. You said you didn't like it, and why. Nothing else. Not even what was causing the issue of spam
In #2, you pointed out the flaws and the root causes of them. Flaws shouldn't always get a suggestion absolutely ignored

And simply supporting doesn't always help either. It's not a voting system, it's improving your ideas. There's going to be cons, there's going to be flaws, and that's the point of the suggestions. No suggestion is ever 100% perfect in any way
Here are some things you can look out for:
-Are there any flaws/cons that haven't been addressed or fixed?
-Is this idea fully flushed out? Or are there some questions you can ask?
-Are there any flaws that you know how to fix or do you know how to flush something out a bit more?
-Is there anyone else who is confused and needs some clarification?

If you don't have to do any of these, then you can move on!

Is a suggestion unable to be added because it's just impossible? Point out why and have them decide what to do next
But still, try not to say ‘no support’
Mogus_man
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

dertermenter wrote:

BringUpYourPost wrote:

Scratch Captilisation rules is that if 2 words are paired together, both of them should be capitalised unless the second word is a preposition. “topic” is not a preposition so it needs to be capitalised.

106809nes wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

No. It's added.
It does, see above.

Sliverus wrote:

No suggestion is necessary and if it is than it’s a bug report - and this seems like a bug to me, it’s definitely unintentional as it doesn’t follow the scratch capitalisation rules.
stop spelling capitallization wrong
it you wanted it to be ‘professional’ you would've spelt your username “Determenter” (also not an actual word, making a site for little kids “less professional”)

noo zydrolic
scroll down

Hi! I’m Mogus_man, professional amateur at everything! If you want to talk leisurely, come on down to the Kame House!
click my Pokémon
I would give you more info but uh…

69th post
100th post
BringUpYourPost
Scratcher
500+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

Mogus_man wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

BringUpYourPost wrote:

106809nes wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

No. It's added.
It does, see above.

Sliverus wrote:

it you wanted it to be ‘professional’ you would've spelt your username “Determenter” (also not an actual word, making a site for little kids “less professional”)
capitalisation has two spellings
Mogus_man
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

BringUpYourPost wrote:

Mogus_man wrote:

capitalization has two spellings
k, but, like, M U R I C A

noo zydrolic
scroll down

Hi! I’m Mogus_man, professional amateur at everything! If you want to talk leisurely, come on down to the Kame House!
click my Pokémon
I would give you more info but uh…

69th post
100th post
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

Mogus_man wrote:

BringUpYourPost wrote:

Mogus_man wrote:

capitalization has two spellings
k, but, like, M U R I C A
you spelled it wrong it is capitalization not capitallization

yes
Sliverus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Capitalise “new topic”

Mogus_man wrote:

Dertermenter is British and therefore spells it differently. He isn't being hypocritical in his post.