Discuss Scratch

JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

SWOW Manager Forum and Stuff

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

I ask again: Any article you want me to write? Send the topic.
Sorry for not seeing the first time you asked, Carmen — I wasn't originally thinking of anything in particular, but now that you ask, how about an article on the top five gifts for writers? Or something like that, in light of it being SWOW's birthday month XD I'm planning on getting another birthday themed magazine issue done this year so an article like that would be pretty fun to include ʕ⁠·⁠ᴥ⁠·⁠ʔ
Only if you have time to do that though- This is cutting it pretty close but it is what it is (⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ᴥ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ⁠ʋ⁠)
JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

WriterDerp wrote:

PoppyWriter wrote:

Did anyone else catch frikadella678's question on the studio? They asked if it could be a chapter from a series.
I think this is where the rubric comes in XD
I personally think we should allow it, but what do you all think?

Yeah, I think we should allow it, too. :0

Like Dawn said, maybe have them mention it in their form so we can keep it in mind. Also, should we request some kind of summary of the main plot so we can understand what's happening (or does it maybe go without saying)?
Oh yeah, some of you may have seen already but I took on this suggestion and added a request in the sign-up form for the main pieces of context if a piece isn't a stand-alone one ฅ⁠^⁠•⁠ﻌ⁠•⁠^⁠ฅ So that's that sorted!

Speaking of writing contest stuff, there's already two entries- ヽ⁠(⁠。⁠◕⁠o⁠◕⁠。⁠)⁠ノ⁠.
PoppyWriter
Scratcher
500+ posts

JollofRice123 wrote:

Speaking of writing contest stuff, there's already two entries- ヽ⁠(⁠。⁠◕⁠o⁠◕⁠。⁠)⁠ノ⁠.

Ahhh, yay!!

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a girl who has a lot of books and too little bookshelf space must be in want of… more books.
Dawn-Bellastrom
Scratcher
63 posts

JollofRice123 wrote:

Hooray!!
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

JollofRice123 wrote:

(#1181)

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

Sorry for not seeing the first time you asked, Carmen — I wasn't originally thinking of anything in particular, but now that you ask, how about an article on the top five gifts for writers? Or something like that, in light of it being SWOW's birthday month XD I'm planning on getting another birthday themed magazine issue done this year so an article like that would be pretty fun to include ʕ⁠·⁠ᴥ⁠·⁠ʔ
Only if you have time to do that though- This is cutting it pretty close but it is what it is (⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ᴥ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ⁠ʋ⁠)
Dang. I would have done an article but my schedule today is filled. So sorry I will do an article for the next magazine though.

^-^::#ff70d2 cap

Probably analyzing a book or something.
JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

JollofRice123 wrote:

(#1181)

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

Dang. I would have done an article but my schedule today is filled. So sorry I will do an article for the next magazine though.
That's alright! You did the writing quotes collection for the last magazine issue and Derp did an article for this one, so you two kinda swapped months XD Essentially, we have enough magazine slots so all's well that ends well :D
Dawn-Bellastrom
Scratcher
63 posts

Question: Are we doing a NaNoWriMo event this year?
JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

Dawn-Bellastrom wrote:

Question: Are we doing a NaNoWriMo event this year?
Good question- Well, there's nothing set in stone for any events after the writing contest, so we definitely fit in another event between Oct—Dec. If we do, the two options (thus far) would be doing another NaNoWriMo event or doing a writing exchange, which Carmen has suggested as an event idea before, but we've been yet to do.

Before we get to deciding between the two, though- is anyone expecting to be super busy at any point between this month and the end of the year, or is it too early to tell, since things may come up later? Feel free to mention which one you'll prefer to work on, if at all, even if you're not sure about your schedule yet ฅ⁠^⁠•⁠ﻌ⁠•⁠^⁠ฅ I personally am leaning toward a writing exchange because it sounds like fun and we haven't done one yet (plus I'll be a little busier myself from now to the end of the year, so I don't know how much time I'll be able to dedicate to another NaNoWriMo event. Of course, though, there's always the option of doing things differently to last time). But in any case, what are your thoughts? Do you reckon we'll be able to pull off another event this year, and if so, which one would you prefer to work on? ʕ⁠·⁠ᴥ⁠·⁠ʔ

Ps: Role rotations coming soon!
PoppyWriter
Scratcher
500+ posts

I think a writing exchange would be a whole lot of fun! It would definitely bring the whole community together more, and it'll be a great chance for people to improve their writing

As for my schedule, the only things I can think of is that I'll be gone for about a week in October because of a family thing, and November will be fairly busy for me between school stuff and doing NaNoWriMo again. Other than that, I really can't think of anything that's going to majorly affect my schedule. If anything comes up, I let you guys know

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a girl who has a lot of books and too little bookshelf space must be in want of… more books.
Dawn-Bellastrom
Scratcher
63 posts

A writing exchange would be pretty fun! For my schedule, I'll probably be super busy in november for NaNoWriMo and I won't be on for a lot of december either. It's too early to tell though so I'll let you guys know.
WriterDerp
Scratcher
100+ posts

I think a writing exchange would be really fun! As for my schedule, I don't really know yet how busy I'll be, I'll let you all know if anything comes up. As of right now, I should be mostly free. :]
Unity_and_Cq
Scratcher
500+ posts

I love the idea of a writing exchange around the holidays. It's like a Secret Santa! Anyway, I will be a little bit more busy due to theatre and robotics competitions that I will be participating in. I will let all of you know about my schedule :]

^-^::#ff70d2 cap

Probably analyzing a book or something.
chocolatefrogs13
Scratcher
98 posts

A writing exchange sounds super fun! I don't think I've ever seen it before. I'm not sure how busy I will be, but I'm probably going to be a lot busier than last year. I'll update you all when I am more sure of my schedule.

Hi! You can call me Ada. I love reading and writing. I've been playing piano for 8 years (but I'm not very good at it). My best subjects are Maths, Drama, Art and English.

Book(s) I'm currently reading:
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Keeper of the Lost Cities: Everblaze - Shannon Messenger

Songs that I currently love:
Guns and Ships - Leslie Odom Jr., Daveed Diggs, Christopher Jackson, Original Broadway Cast of Hamilton

“Don't cry when the sun is gone, because your tears won't let you see the stars,” - Violeta Parra, Musician, 1917-1967
JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

Unity_and_Cq wrote:

I love the idea of a writing exchange around the holidays. It's like a Secret Santa!
Ooh, I love that idea! (⁠◕⁠ᴗ⁠◕⁠✿⁠)(⁠*⁠´⁠ω⁠`⁠*⁠)

So, it looks like we'll be doing a writing exchange later on in the year! When do you think we should start brainstorming on how to run it? My suggestion would be mid-late October, since that'll probably be after the writing contest results are decided, right?
PoppyWriter
Scratcher
500+ posts

JollofRice123 wrote:

So, it looks like we'll be doing a writing exchange later on in the year! When do you think we should start brainstorming on how to run it? My suggestion would be mid-late October, since that'll probably be after the writing contest results are decided, right?

I'd personally say mid October, but that's just me

Dawn-Bellastrom
Scratcher
63 posts

JollofRice123 wrote:

I think mid-late october, though I can't promise I'll be very active…
WriterDerp
Scratcher
100+ posts

In the Suggestions Forum, a user submitted a suggestion requesting we do NaNoWriMo again this year. I know we were trying to do something else this year, but maybe we could ask what the writers want to do. If this is a common sentiment shared among the writers, then maybe we should do NaNo again. If not, and this person is in the minority, then we could, of course, continue with our current course (we could also do both, that'd be tough, but not impossible).
PoppyWriter
Scratcher
500+ posts

WriterDerp wrote:

In the Suggestions Forum, a user submitted a suggestion requesting we do NaNoWriMo again this year. I know we were trying to do something else this year, but maybe we could ask what the writers want to do. If this is a common sentiment shared among the writers, then maybe we should do NaNo again. If not, and this person is in the minority, then we could, of course, continue with our current course (we could also do both, that'd be tough, but not impossible).

I think that it might be really hard to set up a full on event, especially since we're running the writing contest right now, but what if we set up a little ‘nanowrimo support group’ where members participation in NNWM can come to the studio for help, support, ideas, etc., but it's not as much of a large thing as it was last year. This, of course, is just a suggestion. Maybe we could try something small? I don't know…
Anyone else?

JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

Role Rotations: September 2023
Okay, working on future events this month (and running the writing contest too)! Sorry these are late by the way (⁠@⁠_⁠@⁠)!!

Roles for September:
• QOTD: @Dawn-Bellastrom and @gh0stwriter
• AOTW: @Unity_and_Cq and @PoppyWriter
• Off duty*: @WriterDerp
• Magazine Slots*: @chocolatefrogs13 and @JollofRice123

*Officially changing the ‘events’ role to ‘off duty’, since we all work on events together anyway, and it's always good to have a bit of time off regardless (and the events role was already kind of a ‘no official task’ role in the past anyway XD)
JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

(For those of you who joined SWOW/became a manager during or after 2021/just don't follow the suggestions forum (a mostly dead, well, forum where people can make suggestions for events, or just the studio itself XD), you can find the referenced suggestion here. That was a long sentence-)

PoppyWriter wrote:

WriterDerp wrote:

I think that it might be really hard to set up a full on event, especially since we're running the writing contest right now, but what if we set up a little ‘nanowrimo support group’ where members participation in NNWM can come to the studio for help, support, ideas, etc., but it's not as much of a large thing as it was last year. This, of course, is just a suggestion. Maybe we could try something small? I don't know…
Anyone else?
I'm mostly with Poppy on this one — a NaNoWriMo support group would definitely be easier to run, especially when the event we were planning on doing is within the same time frame as NNWM.

That being said, a support group can supply all the tips and suggestions that a more complex event would — and the studio for it, if there is one (which there presumably will be if we were to this) — could be up for the same time period of three months whilst people participate in NNWM. The main difference would be that we wouldn't need to supervise as much since there wouldn't need to be sign-ups ฅ⁠^⁠•⁠ﻌ⁠•⁠^⁠ฅ

Then if we do the writing exchange toward Nov/Dec, we can encourage NNWM writers to participate, for inspiration, critique, or just a bit of a break from their own writing. All whilst getting other people to sign up haha ʕ⁠·⁠ᴥ⁠·⁠ʔ Anyway, that's kinda what my master plan for this would be. Asking the studio members directly is definitely still an option to consider though, since that will provide better insight on what the community would like. In any case, what does everyone else think? Does anyone this that we should go for a full NNWM event like last year? ヽ⁠(⁠。⁠◕⁠o⁠◕⁠。⁠)⁠ノ⁠.

One day I'll learn the skill of summarizing…one day…
But that day is clearly not today lol XP