Discuss Scratch

pandacorn_owl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

How do you explain Greenland being a location?
Idk it's not a country there are plenty of Non-countries on there

Hello I'm a human who used to be active on the forums but sometimes reappears for fun and stuff. I can't be bothered to make a cool signature right now so umm here's a smiley face
NotDucki_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

Its almost 3,000 kilometers away from Denmark, its “home” country. It has its own government but is still mostly Danish.

Semi Active moment
Oshi No Ko - Topic vv

That moment when you got PENTA-NINJA'D dustbinned D:
Highlight this text and press CTRL Shift Down and please tell me what post this was from

spocite wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

bobcat0701 wrote:

we could just ask gobo scratch cat and griffpatch to force the st to add these in because gobo scratch cat and griffpatch rule the world
You would be surprised to hear that they do not. Even Scratch Cat has to discuss features with us to make sure they're good — it's called the Scratch Team, after all.

Yeah, but we all know griffpatch secretly runs the scratch team; I mean, he’s GRIFFPATCH. It would be outright dumb to not have griffpatch on the team. But, since it’s impossible for a human to make such good projects, it has to be either Scratch Cat, Gobo, Pico, and the other one. It has to be Scratch Cat, because the other one is too obscure, Pico is to busy making records, and Gobo is, well, Gobo. So, Scratch Cat in fact DOES have all the power, and the scratch team is a hoax made by NASA to distract from the fact that the moon landing was fake, the earth is flat, the government is run by lizard people, and spocite is a serial killer.

Furthermore, all the “Scratch Team members” are also fake. I mean, @Paddle2See is a robot designed to reject suggestions, @Za-Chary is, well, he might be held hostage by Gobo, I have no idea about him… All the rest though, they’re just actors…
colinmacc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Greenland has it's own top-level internet domain - .gl

(It's worth noting that England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales don't have their own top-level domains, they all come under the .uk domain)

All this arguing is kind of pointless, the countries in the list are all on the ISO 3166 standard list of countries, it's that simple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_3166_country_codes

Sample Projects

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

That's like saying, “How do you explain this apple being a fruit?”

I'm pretty sure the island of Greenland is “a particular place or position.”

Also, according to this post by @Maximouse, it seems that every location needs a two-letter ISO 3166-1 code as well, and Greenland has one. But not England or any of the other countries in the UK.

Maximouse wrote:

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

It has occured to me that it might not be what the Scratch Team thinks rather what the people who make the list that Scratch uses thinks.
They maintain their own list, but it looks like every country on the list needs a two-letter ISO 3166-1 code so this is probably not possible.

Last edited by xXRedTheCoderXx (Feb. 16, 2021 15:22:34)

Froggygames123
Scratcher
500+ posts

United Kingdom

Heee heee hee you are such a funny man.It would be quite easy to add an aditional menu select to allow users to decide whever they chose the UK or one of the seperate nations

Woaj is not moist. We should stick to tradition, and stay with woah. Join our army today ! https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/27322961
Futurebot5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

NotDucki_ wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Is it also like the relationship between Hong Kong and China? Hong Kong is governed by Beijing, but they have some power to rule themselves.
And Hong Kong is on the list!
Isn't Taiwan also on the list? I don't get why they won't give a simple split with the UK. I don't think that a little drop-down menu would cause any chaos.
Hong Kong and Taiwan both want to disconnect from China. Also, those locations caused some chaos when the Chinese government found out.

So…hello, ou bonjour, o hola, o ciao, oder hallo.

ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

It’s heavily autonomous, some parties are pro-leaving Denmark, and it’s thousands of miles from the mainland.

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
lovecodeabc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Futurebot5 wrote:

NotDucki_ wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Is it also like the relationship between Hong Kong and China? Hong Kong is governed by Beijing, but they have some power to rule themselves.
And Hong Kong is on the list!
Isn't Taiwan also on the list? I don't get why they won't give a simple split with the UK. I don't think that a little drop-down menu would cause any chaos.
Hong Kong and Taiwan both want to disconnect from China. Also, those locations caused some chaos when the Chinese government found out.
which is why they banned scratch lol.

Highlight + Ctrl + Shift + down to see full sig

Check out my thingymagings!
Click on them to go to them

Google
© 2019 - 2023 lovecodeabc. All Rights Reserved under Title 17 of the United States Code, and especialy under Section 101-513. Unauthorized Use Prohibited, except under 17 USC § 107, Fair Use. cease and desist letters go brrrrrrr
Uh oh, did the kumquats come again?

Click here!!!OR ELSE I WILL EAT YOUR COOKIESSSSSSSSSSSSSS AND ALSO MAYBE YOUR MOM, WHO KNOWS??

;
lovecodeabc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

I mean, Scotland has had votes on if they want to leave the union, so yeah it is
*civil war*

Google
© 2019 - 2023 lovecodeabc. All Rights Reserved under Title 17 of the United States Code, and especialy under Section 101-513. Unauthorized Use Prohibited, except under 17 USC § 107, Fair Use. cease and desist letters go brrrrrrr

Click here!!!OR ELSE I WILL EAT YOUR COOKIESSSSSSSSSSSSSS AND ALSO MAYBE YOUR MOM, WHO KNOWS??

;
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

I mean, Scotland has had votes on if they want to leave the union, so yeah it is

Thinking about leaving the UK is not the same as actually doing it.

Froggygames123 wrote:

So is Greenland, which I am very sure is part of Denmark, so idk why Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland are

Greenland is far more autonomous than scotland.

Froggygames123 wrote:

And some people in lots of countries and areas, including Scotland think they should be independant, so I don't get your point

ScratchCatHELLO wrote:

Thinking about leaving the UK is not the same as actually doing it.

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
lovecodeabc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Countries are not natural.
Countries are made by humans.
Therefore England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales are not countries simply because people don't think they are.

Google

;
dertermenter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

lovecodeabc wrote:

Countries are not natural.
Countries are made by humans.
Therefore England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales are not countries simply because people don't think they are.
Huh? They are countries!

The2000 wrote:

All suggestions are unnecessary. If a suggestion is necessary then it's a bug report.

dertermenter wrote:

April Fools Day on the forums has been a repeated privilege, not an expectation
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

The UK is the “United Kingdom”, so i don't personally see a point to doing this, saying that is like saying:
Russia is too big, separate it into many different towns

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
Froggygames123
Scratcher
500+ posts

United Kingdom

?. If you mean Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland can’t be a selectable location because they are not countries, I assure you there are many non county options. Also, are the Falkland Islands available or not?

Woaj is not moist. We should stick to tradition, and stay with woah. Join our army today ! https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/27322961
dertermenter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Steve0Greatness wrote:

The UK is the “United Kingdom”, so i don't personally see a point to doing this, saying that is like saying:
Russian towns are not countries

The2000 wrote:

All suggestions are unnecessary. If a suggestion is necessary then it's a bug report.

dertermenter wrote:

April Fools Day on the forums has been a repeated privilege, not an expectation
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

The Scratch Team has this strange policy that is something like “My location is my island/territory of another country.” I remember paddle saying something like that on a topic that asked the Scratch Team to remove HK and Macau from the location list.

Last edited by Basic88 (Feb. 16, 2021 18:10:17)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Steve0Greatness wrote:

*oblasts, okrugs, and a bunch of other stuff I forgot. Russia is way bigger than the U.K, so should we add Siberia as a location? Or those islands that are still disputed between Russia and Japan?

Last edited by Basic88 (Feb. 16, 2021 18:13:35)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
colinmacc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

?. If you mean Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland can’t be a selectable location because they are not countries, I assure you there are many non county options. Also, are the Falkland Islands available or not?

The Falkland Islands has its own ISO 3166 code, so yes.

Sample Projects

Futurebot5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

United Kingdom

Froggygames123 wrote:

There are non-country options that are miles away from mainland, like Greenland.

So…hello, ou bonjour, o hola, o ciao, oder hallo.

Froggygames123
Scratcher
500+ posts

United Kingdom

What about the heard and McDonald Islands where nobody lives? Also northern island is miles away from the UK mainland too

Last edited by Froggygames123 (Feb. 16, 2021 18:14:10)