Discuss Scratch

Ebony_Starcutter
New Scratcher
2 posts

Length limit on how long a recording can be before it can't be saved?

Hello. I would like to ask a quick question about how large a project can be before it can't be saved. I've tried uploading some recordings of mine, but it doesn't seem to want to save anything longer that 2.5 minutes.
My question is: How long can a recording be before the site can't save the project that it's been uploaded to?
Sorry to bother you.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's not a length limit, it's a file size limit. Sound files can be at most 10 MB before they can't save.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
PoIygon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

50MB is how much it is

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PoIygon wrote:

50MB is how much it is
This is not correct - this is old information that dates from Scratch 2.0 and is no longer true.

Current information can be found here, although @Za-Chary has already answered @Ebony_Starcutter's question.

Add a SPOOKY SKELETON to your project!

The Scratch 3 Project Save Troubleshooter - find out why your project won't save

ST, Please Add A Warning When A Size Limit Is Exceeded

My Dumb Creations - THE BEST ANIMATION | The Windows 98 Experience (made on Windows 98) | nobody cares about Me… | the2000 Reveals His New Profile Picture | Not Dumb Creations - Ten Years
Ctrl+Shift+Down for more…
Do evil kumquats keep eating your signature? Assert your dominance and eat the evil kumquats. Did you know that kumquats are only about the size of an olive?
Ebony_Starcutter
New Scratcher
2 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

It's not a length limit, it's a file size limit. Sound files can be at most 10 MB before they can't save.
Thank you very much for telling me. I appreciate it.
SneakyMind299
Scratcher
6 posts

the size doesnt matter if it doesnt go over 10 MB. its limited to 1hour if its less

this is my signature

and this is some text in a scroll box                                                                                                                                                                weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee                      
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SneakyMind299 wrote:

the size doesnt matter if it doesnt go over 10 MB. its limited to 1hour if its less
Please don't necropost.

this https://scratch.mit.edu

This is my signature. It is a small piece of text that appears below
every post I make. In my signature, I can include quotes, images, and even Scratch blocks.

define k0d3rrr
coding since [2019 v] :: #f18800 // The lowest year you can select is 2007, which was when Scratch was released.
favourite Scratch version: [3.0 v]:: #f18800
second favourite Scratch version: [1.4 v]:: #f18800

And now, some words of forum wisdom (which may or may not be controversial):
“What's the point of telling people not to post on your topic, if they are still going to post on your topic anyway?” - k0d3rrr
“If you are writing a story or creating a character roleplay for a Scratch studio, shouldn't it go in either Collaboration or Show and Tell instead of Things I'm Making and Creating?” - k0d3rrr
princetike
Scratcher
2 posts

I’m going to attempt a 384 second recording or higher!
LightBoy77
Scratcher
500+ posts

k0d3rrr wrote:

SneakyMind299 wrote:

Please don't necropost.
Oh no! The world is going to end now!

Male | He/Him | Norwegian | Fox Furry

Jenniferxze
Scratcher
4 posts

I post some sounds. how long can you're recording be? just asking
960times10_5is106044
Scratcher
500+ posts

When you record a sound, Scratch records a WAV, mono, 768kbps (768 kilobits per second, that's awful, or 352kbps if it's too big) sound file picking up from your microphone. Scratch only records in 768kbps and 352kbps. Scratch has a 10MB asset limit. If we have a maximum of 10MB and a bitrate of 768kbps, that allows 104.17 seconds or 1 minute and 44 seconds of recording in Scratch. If we have a bitrate of 352kbps, that allows 227.27 seconds or 3 minutes and 47 seconds of recording in Scratch.

Also, don't necropost. The topic is 1 year, 2 months old. It's when you post something on old topics (3 months or higher). Reporting to be closed.

Check it out:

Also, check out the Mineral Fish Topic (not by me) and the Numberblocks Fish Topic.
Press Shift+Down to see the rest.

You found me!