Discuss Scratch

JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

theonlygusti wrote:

I recommend trying your hand at Malbolge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge

As a beginner's language, it's almost perfect.
Thanks fro suggesting! I had no idea there were so many languages!

theonlygusti wrote:

__init__ wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

dtrager wrote:

I think python, would definitely be the next step.
no lambda assignments
Actually there are
No there isn't.

You can't use statements within lambdas, so how can you put an assignment within one?
I have no idea what you just said. Sawry. ;D

Scratch has evolved from its origins, for better or worse.
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

._. no. Malbolge is basically machine language for their VM.

C++
C
C#
Java
VB.NET
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChocolatePi wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

._. no. Malbolge is basically machine language for their VM.

C++
C
C#
Java
VB.NET
WHAT?

SuperDoom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maybe… go with @MegaApuTurkUltra? C, C+, C++, C#, or Java?
Or, if you're going 3D graphics, I suggest Alice. Or Unity. Flash and Air are good for other stuff. Perhaps JavaScript? What's Python, anyways?

WARNING: Anything I post is either stupid, sarcastic, or ironic. I am not to be taken seriously. Feel free to make fun of me for anything I say.
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
essentiallibertyisfreedomofspeech~Benjamin Franklin (This is my motto for replying to suggestions.)
As of 83G1NN1NG/0F/71M3, I use color #322F31 for my posts. If it's a link, I use #1AA0D8.
CLICK THIS LINK TO INSTANTLY CRASH THE SERVERS
Alexa, play Space Invaders.
As of November 7th, 2019, I have my computer back.
I'm awake from 11:00 AM to 11:30 PM CST (12:00 PM to 12:30 AM EST). Please be more active during that time.
I've moved to -THENEXT_LEVEL-.
aqua103
Scratcher
21 posts

Either gamemaker, or RPG maker.

Check out… @Jabeke49 @Eminecraft95 @Purple_Sheep @-Simplistic-
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

SuperDoom wrote:

Or, if you're going 3D graphics, I suggest Alice. Or Unity. Flash and Air are good for other stuff. Perhaps JavaScript? What's Python, anyways?
I have tried Alice…it's a bit strange. have you tried it?

SuperDoom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

JoCLee wrote:

SuperDoom wrote:

Me, too. And I agree.

WARNING: Anything I post is either stupid, sarcastic, or ironic. I am not to be taken seriously. Feel free to make fun of me for anything I say.
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
essentiallibertyisfreedomofspeech~Benjamin Franklin (This is my motto for replying to suggestions.)
As of 83G1NN1NG/0F/71M3, I use color #322F31 for my posts. If it's a link, I use #1AA0D8.
CLICK THIS LINK TO INSTANTLY CRASH THE SERVERS
Alexa, play Space Invaders.
As of November 7th, 2019, I have my computer back.
I'm awake from 11:00 AM to 11:30 PM CST (12:00 PM to 12:30 AM EST). Please be more active during that time.
I've moved to -THENEXT_LEVEL-.
CrazyRedScratch
Scratcher
26 posts

technoboy10 wrote:

Also you should look at the tutorials on Codecademy for JS *and* Python.
I've found that at least some of the code (prompt and confirm to be specific,) do not work in real JS compilers (or whatever the programs you use to program stuff in). I also want a way to learn real coding, javascript to be specific (again). Is there any way to apply knowlage of scratch and scratch blocks to code real programs and games. I would love to learn real javascript, like i said, from scratch blocks. like for example:
i know that

if () {

}

is a real part of javascript. But is there a place that says that:

if () {

}

is the same as:

if <> then

end
?
Thepuzzlegame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CrazyRedScratch wrote:

technoboy10 wrote:

Also you should look at the tutorials on Codecademy for JS *and* Python.
I've found that at least some of the code (prompt and confirm to be specific,) do not work in real JS compilers (or whatever the programs you use to program stuff in). I also want a way to learn real coding, javascript to be specific (again). Is there any way to apply knowlage of scratch and scratch blocks to code real programs and games. I would love to learn real javascript, like i said, from scratch blocks. like for example:
i know that

if () {

}

is a real part of javascript. But is there a place that says that:

if () {

}

is the same as:

if <> then

end
?
If you'd like to transition from Scratch to JavaScript I'd advise checking out S2JS, as well as w3schools and codecademy

Last edited by Thepuzzlegame (March 1, 2015 02:41:33)

hi!
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

JoCLee wrote:

SuperDoom wrote:

No, but I know it has Comic Sans! :0

bottom text
Rex208
Scratcher
500+ posts

Java is useful. Here's a good place to learn Java: link
I'm using it right now, and I've found it to be pretty useful, although you don't get to objects until around chapter 25.

Rex208
Scratcher
500+ posts

SuperDoom wrote:

What's Python, anyways?
It's a programming language about snakes. It's actually a bit of a beginning programming language, which (in my opinion) is great for simple text-based programs.

jTron
Scratcher
100+ posts

Thepuzzlegame wrote:

If you'd like to transition from Scratch to JavaScript I'd advise checking out S2JS, as well as w3schools and codecademy
*gasp* you didn't!

Once you're at the proficient level, if you're looking things up just for reference, use MDN.

Also, codepen (IMO) easily trumps jsbin/jsfiddle/etc. in terms of awesomeness.

clipd • osx clipboard manager and history

;
Thepuzzlegame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jTron wrote:

Thepuzzlegame wrote:

*gasp* you didn't!

Once you're at the proficient level, if you're looking things up just for reference, use MDN.

Also, codepen (IMO) easily trumps jsbin/jsfiddle/etc. in terms of awesomeness.
Eh, I still think w3schools is a good place to start, although it is true that once you reach a certain level it's good to use other sources such as MDN.

hi!
IronBit_Studios
Scratcher
1000+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

No. Just NO.
Personally, I think Python is pretty easy to learn, and there are a ton of tutorials. That was my 1st language after Scratch!

Thepuzzlegame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

IronBit_Studios wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

No. Just NO.
Personally, I think Python is pretty easy to learn, and there are a ton of tutorials. That was my 1st language after Scratch!
I'm fairly certain they were being sarcastic.

hi!
Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If you want to know REAL code, start with HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Qjury or what ever you call it. I made the mistake of started UnityScript and C# instead of making a website.

Last edited by Vetpetmon (March 29, 2015 14:31:52)

Pet peeve: Lag. Just, lag. Lag, lag, LAG SPIKE-
There is a need for perfection, even if it's unusual: www.vetpetmon.com
A retired Scratcher who won't be using scratch. I usually go on the forums. I mostly play Unturned, but sometimes, I make mods for games. Knows many programming languages: 100% of HTML, about 60% of CSS, 1% JS, 2% of C#, 50% TSC (for CS modding) and, 1% ASM. Is experienced at Beatbox. I also like writing stories about topics that are interesting to me. I'm well known for my variety of skills that range from programming, art, music, writing, and more. Yes, I have too many hobbies, and I am in 6 fandoms right now!
;
Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

Vetpetmon wrote:

If you want to know REAL code, start with HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Qjury or what ever you call it. I made the mistake of started UnityScript and C# instead of making a website.

jQuery…

And also, it's not a mistake to start with a different language to what people say - choosing a language that is outside of your comprehension/skill level IS a mistake - understanding code is like building blocks, you need to have a foundation (basic theory) to build upon (other more complex languages).
kvackkvack
Scratcher
500+ posts

Zeusking19 wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

jQuery…

And also, it's not a mistake to start with a different language to what people say - choosing a language that is outside of your comprehension/skill level IS a mistake - understanding code is like building blocks, you need to have a foundation (basic theory) to build upon (other more complex languages).
This.
This so much.
Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What is this I don't even

Pet peeve: Lag. Just, lag. Lag, lag, LAG SPIKE-
There is a need for perfection, even if it's unusual: www.vetpetmon.com
A retired Scratcher who won't be using scratch. I usually go on the forums. I mostly play Unturned, but sometimes, I make mods for games. Knows many programming languages: 100% of HTML, about 60% of CSS, 1% JS, 2% of C#, 50% TSC (for CS modding) and, 1% ASM. Is experienced at Beatbox. I also like writing stories about topics that are interesting to me. I'm well known for my variety of skills that range from programming, art, music, writing, and more. Yes, I have too many hobbies, and I am in 6 fandoms right now!
;