AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

MrFlash67 wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

best-selling PC game of all time.
[citation needed]
Well, they have sold 16 million copies, and if you can find something that tops that, then it isn't.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

turkey3 wrote:

For games only Flash is pretty good as well as Java. Making games with JavaScript can be quite tricky.
However, game designers are really common these days, and only Javascript is really cross-platform.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

AonymousGuy wrote:

No. Just no. Python has a syntax that is basically unique to itself, as it is an interpreted language. It also is probably more useful for server-side or automated boring processes than anything like a commercial application or a game.

So for server-side scripting it's great, otherwise, it's a bit crazy.

JS, however, has similar syntax to things like Java, C#, and other C based languages, including C itself.

Personally, I started with C#. It was interesting, but it seems to be more for professional Windows applications than games, and I was trying to make games.

Java is for the most part general-purpose. It's also the programming language for the best-selling PC game of all time.
Thank you. Any suggestions on where I could learn C?

turkey3 wrote:

For games only Flash is pretty good as well as Java. Making games with JavaScript can be quite tricky.
I haven't tried Flash yet, although I do have it. I think I should open it up and try it

Scratch has evolved from its origins, for better or worse.
astro-mechanic
Scratcher
500+ posts

I like how nobody's trying to agree on just one language.

turkey3 wrote:

Flash is…don't use Flash.

Java is fun. Java is pleasant. The horror comes when you deal with the standard library. But it's nice to know.

AonymousGuy wrote:

JoCLee wrote:

Seems like the majority of people prefer Python. I must admit it is easier than JS. However, I think I will need JS to become a good IT.
No. Just no. Python has a syntax that is basically unique to itself, as it is an interpreted language. It also is probably more useful for server-side or automated boring processes than anything like a commercial application or a game.

JS, however, has similar syntax to things like Java, C#, and other C based languages, including C itself.

Personally, I started with C#. It was interesting, but it seems to be more for professional Windows applications than games, and I was trying to make games.

Java is for the most part general-purpose. It's also the programming language for the best-selling PC game of all time.

You're correct about Python's use cases – though syntax shouldn't be a deciding factor in learning a language or not.

Javascript was made in a few days by Netscape just to get ahead of IE…the ES6 standard doesn't help much. It feels like you're writing code that won't work, almost all the time.

C# is (as far as I know) the primary development language for xbox.

Copies sold doesn't determine the quality of a game's programming.

sign here
emperor of shiny things
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

astro-mechanic wrote:

I like how nobody's trying to agree on just one language.

turkey3 wrote:

Java is fun. Java is pleasant. The horror comes when you deal with the standard library. But it's nice to know.

AonymousGuy wrote:

JoCLee wrote:

Seems like the majority of people prefer Python. I must admit it is easier than JS. However, I think I will need JS to become a good IT.

You're correct about Python's use cases – though syntax shouldn't be a deciding factor in learning a language or not.

Javascript was made in a few days by Netscape just to get ahead of IE…the ES6 standard doesn't help much. It feels like you're writing code that won't work, almost all the time.

C# is (as far as I know) the primary development language for xbox.

It's a pretty dang good language for one developed in about 10 days, then!

JS never feels like it won't work to me–you just have to combine it with jQuery, CSS, and HTML to make it even more awesome. If you want to get into any sort of web design, learn the “Web Trinity”–HTML, CSS, and JS.

And “being an IT” is extremely vague–you could be anything from tech support to hardware design.

'17 rickoid

SurfingPikachuGames
Scratcher
100+ posts

I say python and construct 2

yeah I know my sig is awesome
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Construct 2 is geared mainly toward games and isn't “programming” as much, per se.

'17 rickoid

davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Python.

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.

Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
MrFlash67
Scratcher
500+ posts

davidkt wrote:

Python.
this. It's got a really pretty syntax, a huge standard library, and a lot of support. (Me, DKT and several of the Snap! gang use it. And many more.)

EDIT: 499.5-ish post!

Last edited by MrFlash67 (Aug. 7, 2014 23:42:13)

like tears in chocolate rain
(2012 - 2022 - 20XX)
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

JS never feels like it won't work to me–you just have to combine it with jQuery, CSS, and HTML to make it even more awesome. If you want to get into any sort of web design, learn the “Web Trinity”–HTML, CSS, and JS.
Yay! That's what I'm doing now. Or at least, was doing.

astro-mechanic wrote:

Why?
Hmmm…
True, true.
Even truer.
Wait, WHAT? Then why do people use it so much?

NOW WHAT? People say JS is good, people say JS is bad…I think I will just get familiar with it to be on the safe side.

Scratch has evolved from its origins, for better or worse.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well, saying “it feels” is pretty opinion-based.

'17 rickoid

astro-mechanic
Scratcher
500+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Indeed! Hence I said “it feels” instead of “it is”. I hatehatehate objects in JS. It's very similar to PHP to me.

sign here
emperor of shiny things
QuillzToxic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Python and kivy:
kivy.org
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

astro-mechanic wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Indeed! Hence I said “it feels” instead of “it is”. I hatehatehate objects in JS. It's very similar to PHP to me.
PHP=Too many required semicolons. I always forget the semicolons.

Last edited by Deerleg (Aug. 10, 2014 15:16:27)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Deerleg wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Python = not enough semicolons. I always add semicolons.

'17 rickoid

DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Lua = Semicolons are optional! (Well, in versions < 5.2, that is)

I do, in fact, have my own site; it's here.
I'm also working on a thing called Fetch. Look at it here!
@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
astro-mechanic
Scratcher
500+ posts

DigiTechs wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

As in Python. Semicolons are perfectly valid in Python. xD You still need to use newlines for stuff like ifs/whiles though.

sign here
emperor of shiny things
DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

astro-mechanic wrote:

DigiTechs wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

As in Python. Semicolons are perfectly valid in Python. xD You still need to use newlines for stuff like ifs/whiles though.

Take this, Python!

local i = 0 while true do if i < 10 then print("hi") else i = i + 1 end end

One liners are extremely helpful when you want to do something just once and don't have the time to keep hitting enter.

Last edited by DigiTechs (Aug. 10, 2014 18:31:47)

@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DigiTechs wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

DigiTechs wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Take this, Python!

One liners are extremely helpful when you want to do something just once and don't have the time to keep hitting enter.
i=0;while(true){if(i<10){console.log(“hi”);}else{i++;}}

'17 rickoid

DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

DigiTechs wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

DigiTechs wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

astro-mechanic wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Take this, Python!

i=0;while(true){if(i<10){console.log(“hi”);}else{i++;}}

This is a Lua > Python argument again, not JS