Discuss Scratch

JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

MrFlash67 wrote:

That's absolutely right, Python just sucks less.
Haha! You smart-alecks! Very true, very true!

Scratch has evolved from its origins, for better or worse.
spkshark
Scratcher
12 posts

Javascript or Python, and Scratch with the Raspberry Pi is worth a go!

Check out my stuff here:

SOUNDCLOUD | YOUTUBE | SCRATCH
—————————————————————–
“AHA” - Alan Partridge
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

spkshark wrote:

Javascript or Python, and Scratch with the Raspberry Pi is worth a go!
Thanks!

JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

I don't think they sell the Rasberry Pi here….

Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

JoCLee wrote:

Where are you in the world? I might be able to track down somewhere for you.
Dabbler
Scratcher
1 post

I did JavaScript. CoffeeScript is a good compromise between JavaScript and Python; Python's nice syntax with JavaScript's runtime.

I've been building a tool to help people transition to text after Scratch – it's a Scratch-inspired block editor, but can switch between text and blocks at will. Try it at pencilcode.net – the language is CoffeeScript, but you can edit it with blocks. If you end up at the pencilcode gym (via the “Let's Play!” button), make sure to look for the block/text toggle button in the lower-left corner.

Last edited by Dabbler (Aug. 26, 2014 19:15:55)

JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

Zeusking19 wrote:

JoCLee wrote:

Where are you in the world? I might be able to track down somewhere for you.

Urm, I'm in Malaysia, I thought it said that on my profile XD

Dabbler wrote:

I did JavaScript. CoffeeScript is a good compromise between JavaScript and Python; Python's nice syntax with JavaScript's runtime.

I've been building a tool to help people transition to text after Scratch – it's a Scratch-inspired block editor, but can switch between text and blocks at will. Try it at pencilcode.net – the language is CoffeeScript, but you can edit it with blocks. If you end up at the pencilcode gym (via the “Let's Play!” button), make sure to look for the block/text toggle button in the lower-right corner.
Thank you! I love it! You MADE that?????

TehCow
Scratcher
50 posts

If your still looking for ideas, NaaLaa is a great place to start. NaaLaa stands for Not an Advanced Language at All. Although NaaLaa is a bit hard to use, there are lots of useful libraries. NaaLaa is similar to Lua in the sense that it can be 2d or 3d and it is great for game making (and not much else). On the other hand it is also very different in the sense that there is one NaaLaa Syntax where Lua has LÖVE and Roblox and many other platforms. NaaLaa also has it's own editor so you're not just typing in notepad, even though NaaLaa files are simply .txt's and if you're comfortable enough you can just type it anywhere (even on your phone) then email it to yourself, copy it, put it in a .txt then open it with NaaLaa's editor and hope you don't have syntax errors . Although I have so much great stuff to say about it, there are no (decent) tutorials. I plan on making some once I'm comfortable using it (because I'm still trying to teach myself with the limited tutorials). Anyway, I hope this was useful and not just a rant on a website.

When a first you don't succeed, tr- WHAT!?! Griffpatch shared a new project?!?! *Views project* Man, I'll never be that good.
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

TehCow wrote:

If your still looking for ideas, NaaLaa is a great place to start. NaaLaa stands for Not an Advanced Language at All. Although NaaLaa is a bit hard to use, there are lots of useful libraries. NaaLaa is similar to Lua in the sense that it can be 2d or 3d and it is great for game making (and not much else). On the other hand it is also very different in the sense that there is one NaaLaa Syntax where Lua has LÖVE and Roblox and many other platforms. NaaLaa also has it's own editor so you're not just typing in notepad, even though NaaLaa files are simply .txt's and if you're comfortable enough you can just type it anywhere (even on your phone) then email it to yourself, copy it, put it in a .txt then open it with NaaLaa's editor and hope you don't have syntax errors . Although I have so much great stuff to say about it, there are no (decent) tutorials. I plan on making some once I'm comfortable using it (because I'm still trying to teach myself with the limited tutorials). Anyway, I hope this was useful and not just a rant on a website.
I am honored to have TehCow on this forum. Thank you very much for your suggestion. It will, like all the others, be considered. Thanks!

DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lua and Love2D. You'll love them.

Heck, if you want to get functional, you can even get MoonScript which compiles to lua.

I do, in fact, have my own site; it's here.
I'm also working on a thing called Fetch. Look at it here!
@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
waimate01
Scratcher
10 posts

For anyone interested in where to go after Scratch, it seems to me the list of desirables includes:

- a language that can be used to write decent graphical games
- games can run on pretty much any device
- can be shared without needing all sorts of support software installed
- builds on your existing scratch skills

Have a look at S2JS, which has been designed with just this in mind, and is free. Runs in a browser, and has built-in tutorials, development environment and deployment platform. Still a work in progress, and feedback welcome.

Last edited by waimate01 (Nov. 6, 2014 04:20:35)

JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

waimate01 wrote:

For anyone interested in where to go after Scratch, it seems to me the list of desirables includes:

- a language that can be used to write decent graphical games
- games can run on pretty much any device
- can be shared without needing all sorts of support software installed
- builds on your existing scratch skills

Have a look at S2JS, which has been designed with just this in mind, and is free. Runs in a browser, and has built-in tutorials, development environment and deployment platform. Still a work in progress, and feedback welcome.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

DigiTechs wrote:

Lua and Love2D. You'll love them.

Heck, if you want to get functional, you can even get MoonScript which compiles to lua.
Thanks for the advice, but could you keep the language down? Thanks so much!

__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MrFlash67 wrote:

JoCLee wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

https://wiki.theory.org/YourLanguageSucks
Sorry, it seems to me those people think every language sucks.
That's absolutely right, Python just sucks less.
+1

thisandagain pls explain
dimondprogramer
Scratcher
84 posts

I think you should trie small basic

Visit My Profile

if <Using Scratch> then
forever
Imagine
Program
end

theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I recommend trying your hand at Malbolge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge

As a beginner's language, it's almost perfect.

dtrager
Scratcher
7 posts

I think python, would definitely be the next step.
theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dtrager wrote:

Python is shocking. It is so unsimilar to any other language, I mean, with indentation matters, the colon being everywhere, the tuple syntax being confusing for beginners, #comment rather than // or /* */ , no switch statement, no lambda assignments, elif rather than else if, no do…while(), ternary assignment is stupid and unlike other languages and it's just awkward.

__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

dtrager wrote:

no lambda assignments
Actually there are

thisandagain pls explain
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

dtrager wrote:

Python is shocking. It is so unsimilar to any other language, I mean, with indentation matters, the colon being everywhere, the tuple syntax being confusing for beginners, #comment rather than // or /* */ , no switch statement, no lambda assignments, elif rather than else if, no do…while(), ternary assignment is stupid and unlike other languages and it's just awkward.
But everything else…

YES…

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

__init__ wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

dtrager wrote:

no lambda assignments
Actually there are
No there isn't.

You can't use statements within lambdas, so how can you put an assignment within one?