Discuss Scratch

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jonathan50 wrote:

Snap! 5 and the Snap! conference are very exciting! The video sensing blocks aren't yet listed under Etcetera.
Ah, thanks. They're really new. :-)

14152cool
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

bug report: blockvars cannot be renamed occasionally. Works great otherwise.

Annoyingly, my signature was eaten by a small, white dog. How annoying.

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

SimpleScratch wrote:

(Due to a misfeature,
Not seen that phrase before
Yeah, it's taking me much too long to convince Jens that "costume 0" is a costume regardless of how he implemented it.

SimpleScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Snap! user discussion

This is a hard topic.

Switching to Snap forum (as easier to paste images in)

https://forum.snap.berkeley.edu/t/local-state-with-script-variables/483
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Why does the new block for playing sounds take a sample rate rather than a factor to speed the sound up by? Is it better than a constructor (like STRETCH) or a mutator?

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jonathan50 wrote:

Why does the new block for playing sounds take a sample rate rather than a factor to speed the sound up by? Is it better than a constructor (like STRETCH) or a mutator?
Hmm I was hoping Jens would handle this one, since it's his feature. He kind of invents exactly the block he needs for exactly the project he's creating (on the fly in a demo, sometimes). At a guess, he used it to determine by ear what the correct sampling rate was for some imported sound.

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

bharvey wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

Hmm I was hoping Jens would handle this one, since it's his feature. He kind of invents exactly the block he needs for exactly the project he's creating (on the fly in a demo, sometimes). At a guess, he used it to determine by ear what the correct sampling rate was for some imported sound.

Edit: Better than a mutator, not as good as a constructor, of course!

Oops I hit quote instead of edit again… no wonder it wouldn't let me do it for 60 seconds…

Last edited by bharvey (May 30, 2019 07:01:42)

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Berkeley server scheduled downtime Mon June 10 6-8pm California time

Berkeley servers will be down for scheduled maintenance Monday June 10, 6-8pm California time. snap.berkeley.edu should be redirected to a mirror site, but just in case of trouble, try bjc.edc.org/snapsource/snap.html or cs10.org/snap/snap.html

Our cloud file storage will not be affected.

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Okay, it's official, 5.0 is up, the community web site is up! Thanks, Jens; thanks, Bernat; thanks, Michael!

s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

Snap! user discussion

bharvey wrote:

Okay, it's official, 5.0 is up, the community web site is up! Thanks, Jens; thanks, Bernat; thanks, Michael!
Excellent!! A round of applause to the team!
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

s_federici wrote:

bharvey wrote:

Excellent!! A round of applause to the team!
Likewise! Congratulations!!

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

The new Snap website looks nice. It feels slightly more like Scratch now.

bottom text
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

bharvey wrote:

Hooray! Are you still considering adding first class colors (which appear as colors and can be given as color inputs)? They could be a type of list so PIXELS OF COSTUME could be changed and existing projects would still work.

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

Snap! user discussion

bharvey wrote:

Woohoo congratulations guys!
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jonathan50 wrote:

Are you still considering adding first class colors (which appear as colors and can be given as color inputs)?
Yes, but not high on the list. We're still working out the arguments about HSL vs. HSV, and I still want crayons in the SET PEN primitive! (My big last-minute project besides trying to keep the manual up to date with last-minute projects was refining the crayon list to include all the block colors.) What is likely in the near future is updating the color picker. Jens is floating the idea that we should have different color pickers in different contexts, and have a choice of pickers like the Photoshop set or the Mac set of pickers. I like Joan's proposed one:

because we agreed on big-ish black and white buttons at the ends of a grayscale gradient, and my 20-crayon subset below that. I still think it should be bigger, though, or zoomable or something.

mastery4
Scratcher
62 posts

Snap! user discussion

I just went into Snap! today and found all my projects gone, replaced with some computer save system that I do not store my projects in. At least let Snap! users access their older projects from Snap 4.0. I am mad. Period.

Last edited by mastery4 (July 1, 2019 04:37:28)

Shop | Artwork | Profile | My Recent Project | Popular Project | Community Guidelines | Scratch Wiki

((Reporter Block:: #00aa00) (Boolean Block:: #00aa00 boolean) (Hat Block:: #00aa00 hat) {Stack Block:: #00aa00} {Cap Block:: #00aa00 cap} (() Ring :: #00aa00 ring) :: sensing)
space_elephant
Scratcher
500+ posts

Snap! user discussion

mastery4 wrote:

I just went into Snap! today and found all my projects gone, replaced with some computer save system that I do not store my projects in. At least let Snap! users access their older projects from Snap 4.0. I am mad. Period.
Works for me.

red link
[url=redlink.com][color=red][u]red link[/u][/color][/url]
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

mastery4 wrote:

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Do I take it that you used the “Browser” save option, rather than the cloud? I'm told that if you hold down the shift key while choosing “Open” from the File menu, you'll get the Browser option. But you should then transfer your projects either to the cloud or to your local disk using the “Computer” option in the save dialog.

mastery4
Scratcher
62 posts

Snap! user discussion

bharvey wrote:

mastery4 wrote:

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Do I take it that you used the “Browser” save option, rather than the cloud? I'm told that if you hold down the shift key while choosing “Open” from the File menu, you'll get the Browser option. But you should then transfer your projects either to the cloud or to your local disk using the “Computer” option in the save dialog.
It worked, thanks!
Successfully transfered!

Last edited by mastery4 (July 1, 2019 17:18:52)

Shop | Artwork | Profile | My Recent Project | Popular Project | Community Guidelines | Scratch Wiki

((Reporter Block:: #00aa00) (Boolean Block:: #00aa00 boolean) (Hat Block:: #00aa00 hat) {Stack Block:: #00aa00} {Cap Block:: #00aa00 cap} (() Ring :: #00aa00 ring) :: sensing)
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

Snap! user discussion

One of the reasons why I'm not using Snap for my lessons yet (other than the fact that I didn't test all the projects that I use un the lessons and that my students develop by using Scratch/BYOB) is that when zooming the browser page (both in Chrome and in FireFox) the graphics of the IDE gets blurred. I noticed only today that if, after having zoomed the page, I reload it, the graphics is crisp. As I need to change the zoom level very often during my lessons, reloading the page is not an option as the IDE goes back to the empty IDE.

Is there a way to make the graphics readapt to the zoom level without reloading the page?