Discuss Scratch

14152cool
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

I mean, caps ARE purely cosmetic, though it would help for clarification of when the block is supposed to be used. And plus you can't place things under caps. Also, what about ringifying hats? Would there be any use for that?

Annoyingly, my signature was eaten by a small, white dog. How annoying.

cycomachead
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

I don't think “clarity” is really “purely cosmetic” – or if so, then that's certainly not a bad thing.

Ringifying hat blocks is certainly useful when it comes to meta programming tasks – more specifically, that could be writing a script that generates certain handlers for sprites, or accomplishing tasks like autograding students' projects.
It can be accomplished with JS though, and that seems to work OK.
axisjack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Hey guys anyone know a good ide for javascript? I use eclipse and it works very well with java (autocomplete, document, suggestion, etc) and the debugger is even better. Is there something similar for javascript?
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

axisjack wrote:

Hey guys anyone know a good ide for javascript? I use eclipse and it works very well with java (autocomplete, document, suggestion, etc) and the debugger is even better. Is there something similar for javascript?
VSCode is widely considered to be the best for javascript intellisense + debugging, especially once you find the extensions you need. I couldn't recommend it more strongly.
axisjack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

PullJosh wrote:

axisjack wrote:

VSCode is widely considered to be the best for javascript intellisense + debugging, especially once you find the extensions you need. I couldn't recommend it more strongly.

Cool thanks!
TheAspiringHacker
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

axisjack wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

axisjack wrote:

Cool thanks!
Please be aware that the version of VSCode downloaded from its website is not libre software and has telemetry features.

Long live Kyoto Animation!
axisjack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

TheAspiringHacker wrote:

axisjack wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

axisjack wrote:

Cool thanks!
Please be aware that the version of VSCode downloaded from its website is not libre software and has telemetry features.

Thanks!, seems most libre or not sofware has some telemetry features . But can you suggest any alternatives?

Last edited by axisjack (May 6, 2019 12:15:55)

axisjack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

bharvey wrote:

axisjack wrote:

Maybe but as for a programming language remember scope? Well this is it and you said it is important.
Scope shouldn't need keywords. A scope is enclosed in a bigger scope if the procedure definition is physically inside the bigger procedure

There seems to be reserved keywords for future implimentation of JS that looks similar to java. Example
implements
interface
package
private
protected
public
static
yield

What say you Mr harvey?

Edit: ok it seems valid in “strict mode” only

Last edited by axisjack (May 6, 2019 14:35:42)

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

axisjack wrote:

There seems to be reserved keywords for future implimentation of JS that looks similar to java.
These were implemented back in the very, very first days of JavaScript when such ideas were still considered a possibility. Nowadays they have been totally scrapped in favor of JS's modern syntax. Those keywords are still kept around because otherwise there might be incompatibility with old JS code (which of course is everywhere on the internet), and they couldn't risk that, but they don't have any meaning. That's why, as you noticed, they are allowed in strict mode – strict mode is a modern thing which, realistically, only new JS programs opt into. That means they can make breaking syntax changes (like making those normal names instead of keywords), as long as they only apply in strict mode.

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

_nix wrote:

Nowadays they have been totally scrapped in favor of JS's modern syntax.
Whew! That would have been unbearable.

TheAspiringHacker
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

axisjack wrote:

TheAspiringHacker wrote:

axisjack wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

axisjack wrote:

Cool thanks!

Thanks!, seems most libre or not sofware has some telemetry features . But can you suggest any alternatives?
I don't do JavaScript that often, so I don't have an IDE set up. When I do write JavaScript, I use Emacs. I'm not sure what qualifies as an IDE, but Emacs is an extremely extensible text editor.

Last edited by TheAspiringHacker (May 7, 2019 00:03:21)

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

_nix wrote:

These were implemented back in the very, very first days of JavaScript when such ideas were still considered a possibility. Nowadays they have been totally scrapped in favor of JS's modern syntax. Those keywords are still kept around because otherwise there might be incompatibility with old JS code (which of course is everywhere on the internet), and they couldn't risk that, but they don't have any meaning.
Huh? They were reserved for future use, so no old code could use them.

Last edited by Jonathan50 (May 7, 2019 03:59:46)

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jonathan50 wrote:

_nix wrote:

These were implemented back in the very, very first days of JavaScript when such ideas were still considered a possibility. Nowadays they have been totally scrapped in favor of JS's modern syntax.
Oh, yeah, sorry – I meant that when I said they were “implemented”. You're right, they didn't actually do anything. It's just that nowadays we decided they wouldn't ever be used, scrapping that possibility, hence they're not reserved in strict mode. (Funnily enough, there was a brief(?) time when there was a specification for JavaScript – ECMAScript 3 or 4, maybe? – which did implement a lot of those keywords, IIRC. I think ActionScript (which is what Flash uses) was based off of that, though I'm not totally sure about that )

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
axisjack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

TheAspiringHacker wrote:

I'm not sure what qualifies as an IDE, but Emacs is an extremely extensible text editor.

A software that integrates tools to aid programmers. I guess you can think of it as a workbench. A simple text editor is like a worknench with little to no tools. (Tools like for example numbering code lines, coloring syntax etc)

Last edited by axisjack (May 7, 2019 13:51:55)

axisjack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

_nix wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

_nix wrote:

These were implemented back in the very, very first days of JavaScript when such ideas were still considered a possibility. Nowadays they have been totally scrapped in favor of JS's modern syntax.
Oh, yeah, sorry – I meant that when I said they were “implemented”. You're right, they didn't actually do anything. It's just that nowadays we decided they wouldn't ever be used, scrapping that possibility, hence they're not reserved in strict mode. (Funnily enough, there was a brief(?) time when there was a specification for JavaScript – ECMAScript 3 or 4, maybe? – which did implement a lot of those keywords, IIRC. I think ActionScript (which is what Flash uses) was based off of that, though I'm not totally sure about that )

But they are still reserved so its not entirely scrapped. Albiet in strict mode
cycomachead
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

axisjack wrote:

TheAspiringHacker wrote:

I'm not sure what qualifies as an IDE, but Emacs is an extremely extensible text editor.

A software that integrates tools to aid programmers. I guess you can think of it as a workbench. A simple text editor is like a worknench with little to no tools. (Tools like for example numbering code lines, coloring syntax etc)

I think it's lets about what's “strictly” an IDE, which emacs on its own is not. However, when you combine emacs with the many many customizations it can approach and even exceed the functions of many more visual IDEs. I think the more common functions thought of in IDEs are tools that take advantage of knowing the framework and language you're working in – such as letting you quickly jump to function definitions, auto refactoring, or automatically compiling code when you type or save a file.

axisjack wrote:

_nix wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

_nix wrote:

But they are still reserved so its not entirely scrapped. Albiet in strict mode

The `static` keyword does get used in new JS classes. While there's no current intention to go fully towards Java classes, the possibility is opened.
Those words have been reserved, and there's no reason to “un-reserve” a keyword. Once you do that, it's nearly impossible to make that word be a keyword in the future. One of the most interesting things about JavaScript is how syntactically (and also functionally) consistent it has been for nearly 25 years. Most often when JS is run, you don't get to specify which version of JS is going to be used, which is unlike almost any other programming environment. (Python, Ruby, Java, C++ have all had breaking changes. Not sure about C…that'd be interesting.) So, the JavaScript committee has to make sure that old programs can still run in new versions of JS without breaking (to as much as is reasonably possible…which means jumping through lots of hoops).

(The story of ECMAScript 4 is an interesting one. It was scrapped because it got too big…mostly.)
axisjack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

cycomachead wrote:

I think it's lets about what's “strictly” an IDE, which emacs on its own is not. However, when you combine emacs with the many many customizations it can approach and even exceed the functions of many more visual IDEs. I think the more common functions thought of in IDEs are tools that take advantage of knowing the framework and language you're working in – such as letting you quickly jump to function definitions, auto refactoring, or automatically compiling code when you type or save a file.

Yes these are great tools for sure. Listing an object functions as well.

cycomachead wrote:

The `static` keyword does get used in new JS classes. While there's no current intention to go fully towards Java classes, the possibility is opened.
Those words have been reserved, and there's no reason to “un-reserve” a keyword. Once you do that, it's nearly impossible to make that word be a keyword in the future. One of the most interesting things about JavaScript is how syntactically (and also functionally) consistent it has been for nearly 25 years. Most often when JS is run, you don't get to specify which version of JS is going to be used, which is unlike almost any other programming environment. (Python, Ruby, Java, C++ have all had breaking changes. Not sure about C…that'd be interesting.) So, the JavaScript committee has to make sure that old programs can still run in new versions of JS without breaking (to as much as is reasonably possible…which means jumping through lots of hoops).

(The story of ECMAScript 4 is an interesting one. It was scrapped because it got too big…mostly.)

Yeah you got a point about unreserving. As for the 4th edition maybe fir the y2k problem too :p
wHEresMYm0n3yd4d
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

wut is snap looks like a knockoff

from kfc import chicken
TheAspiringHacker
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

wHEresMYm0n3yd4d wrote:

wut is snap looks like a knockoff
I find your lack of faith (in the lambda) disturbing. Functional programming is hip now; all the popular languages are getting lambdas! C++, Java, Python, and JavaScript are among the languages that have them. Scratch is behind the times!

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

axisjack wrote:

TheAspiringHacker wrote:

Emacs is an IDE. Emacs is an operating system. Emacs is a spreadsheet. Emacs is a mail reader. Emacs is a psychotherapist. Emacs is a video game. Emacs is a programming language. Those who have achieved satori need never leave Emacs.