Discuss Scratch

kasyanthecat
Scratcher
100+ posts

DREAMCHILD: A Scratch RPG [apps closed]

This is the scratch project equivalent of a zombie. Dies, comes back, dies, falls apart, is sometimes revived, dies.

On a serious note, this thing is far too ambitious for scratch. Maybe we should switch to something more serious, like Unreal 4? I heard it has visual block-based programming. And it's free too I suppose.

ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD
I left Scratch to pursue other projects. I visit, like, once a month, but I no longer respond to F4F or contests. Sorry about that.
Check out my final project drop, kasyan's unfinished business!
I may put links to non-scratch stuff I make here, once I get something interesting done.
OUTDATED ANNOUNCEMENTS
Help us with the DREAMCHILD collab! unded Now under solo development by @WaffleTundraStudios, good luck to them!
Join the SCRATCHCOIN team – developing the best cryptocurrency in Scratch! ded In a state of limbo, basically. Not as useful as originally thought, but thanks to everyone who tried to help!
Check out my newest project - Ingenuity - The Mars Helicopter! alive (No longer my newest project, but still I consider it to be the best)
PapaBalloon1234
Scratcher
50 posts

I could view this project working out if it was tile-based and a lot of it were centered around data stored in lists (enemy data, loot tables, the map, random variables that are only used once or twice, e.t.c), because that tremendously boosts the size limit of scratch projects

Need any help with pixel art or programming? Let me know on my profile, I should be able to help.

I'm part of two collaborations. I'm a programmer in https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/523290/ , and I'm the manager and lead programmer in https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/514039/
WaffleTundraStudios
Scratcher
83 posts

kasyanthecat wrote:

This is the scratch project equivalent of a zombie. Dies, comes back, dies, falls apart, is sometimes revived, dies.

On a serious note, this thing is far too ambitious for scratch. Maybe we should switch to something more serious, like Unreal 4? I heard it has visual block-based programming. And it's free too I suppose.
Oh. Um… I kinda… sorta… started working on it in Scratch already…
kasyanthecat
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yes, but Scratch is quite limited. For instance, you can't do legitimate scrolling, you have to use tiles. And more importantly, even if you put tremendous effort into making the game, it will be lost and forgotten in the endless void of generic platformers and art contests. Scratch is kind of not suited for such a good project.

ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD
I left Scratch to pursue other projects. I visit, like, once a month, but I no longer respond to F4F or contests. Sorry about that.
I may put links to non-scratch stuff I make here, once I get something interesting done.
OUTDATED ANNOUNCEMENTS
Help us with the DREAMCHILD collab! unded Now under solo development by @WaffleTundraStudios, good luck to them!
Join the SCRATCHCOIN team – developing the best cryptocurrency in Scratch! ded In a state of limbo, basically. Not as useful as originally thought, but thanks to everyone who tried to help!
Check out my newest project - Ingenuity - The Mars Helicopter! alive (No longer my newest project, but still I consider it to be the best)
PapaBalloon1234
Scratcher
50 posts

kasyanthecat wrote:

Yes, but Scratch is quite limited. For instance, you can't do legitimate scrolling, you have to use tiles. And more importantly, even if you put tremendous effort into making the game, it will be lost and forgotten in the endless void of generic platformers and art contests. Scratch is kind of not suited for such a good project.
Not necessarily. You can do legitimate scrolling without tile clones or stamping, but each map will have to take a whole costume and multiple sprites and that isn't very efficient. Tile scrolling is easier in the long run, only takes a bit more effort, and looks really nice and organized.

Yes, it will eventually die, but if it's going to be as big as they're saying it is, that won't be for a long time.

Need any help with pixel art or programming? Let me know on my profile, I should be able to help.

I'm part of two collaborations. I'm a programmer in https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/523290/ , and I'm the manager and lead programmer in https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/514039/
kasyanthecat
Scratcher
100+ posts

PapaBalloon1234 wrote:

kasyanthecat wrote:

snip.
Not necessarily. You can do legitimate scrolling without tile clones or stamping, but each map will have to take a whole costume and multiple sprites and that isn't very efficient. Tile scrolling is easier in the long run, only takes a bit more effort, and looks really nice and organized.

Yes, it will eventually die, but if it's going to be as big as they're saying it is, that won't be for a long time.
It's not going to be as big, most of the contributors left Scratch.

edit: grammar

Last edited by kasyanthecat (Nov. 7, 2021 17:56:59)

ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD
OUTDATED ANNOUNCEMENTS
PapaBalloon1234
Scratcher
50 posts

Yeah true, unfortunately. However, if more people show up, this can still be big

kasyanthecat
Scratcher
100+ posts

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone except @WaffleTundraStudios is still interested.

My casual observation: scratch as a whole is kinda dying down, nothing really happens nowadays. I may be wrong tho.

ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD
OUTDATED ANNOUNCEMENTS
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

kasyanthecat wrote:

And more importantly, even if you put tremendous effort into making the game, it will be lost and forgotten in the endless void of generic platformers and art contests. Scratch is kind of not suited for such a good project.
While I agree with this, Scratch is a great place to try out an idea. If we already have a working game in scratch it's relatively easy to simply convert to a more serious platform.
WaffleTundraStudios
Scratcher
83 posts

kasyanthecat wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone except @WaffleTundraStudios is still interested.

My casual observation: scratch as a whole is kinda dying down, nothing really happens nowadays. I may be wrong tho.
I have way too many great ideas for this project to let it die. You do what you want, but I'm going to finish it. Plus, it doesn't need to be a scrolling game. I was thinking we could make it screen base like the original Legend of Zelda. Sometimes, you have to lower the scope.
PapaBalloon1234
Scratcher
50 posts

WaffleTundraStudios wrote:

kasyanthecat wrote:

I have way too many great ideas for this project to let it die. You do what you want, but I'm going to finish it. Plus, it doesn't need to be a scrolling game. I was thinking we could make it screen base like the original Legend of Zelda. Sometimes, you have to lower the scope.
I have a really well-working zelda-like engine

WaffleTundraStudios
Scratcher
83 posts

PapaBalloon1234 wrote:

kasyanthecat wrote:

GIVE IT TO ME!
WaffleTundraStudios
Scratcher
83 posts

I've made some considerable progress on the project. I expect it to release in 2022.
dnder
Scratcher
71 posts

Awesome. Could I see what you have?
WaffleTundraStudios
Scratcher
83 posts

dnder wrote:

It looks ugly as heck, so no. Also, the battle system isn't finished, so I better go work on that. I've had to do some deep diving to get some of the info for this though. It would be nice if someone could organize it all.

Last edited by WaffleTundraStudios (Dec. 16, 2021 00:59:28)

dnder
Scratcher
71 posts

dnder wrote:

It looks ugly as heck, so no. Also, the battle system isn't finished, so I better go work on that. I've had to do some deep diving to get some of the info for this though. It would be nice if someone could organize it all.
As soon as you're ready to share a beta I'd love to see it. I can help with finding relevant info, what do you need?
PapaBalloon1234
Scratcher
50 posts

PapaBalloon1234 wrote:

kasyanthecat wrote:

GIVE IT TO ME!
sorry for replying a few months late lol
It's the engine in my engine project for The Gemstone Quest, I'll try to rip the engine itself with an explanation on how to use it

Last edited by PapaBalloon1234 (Jan. 9, 2022 16:55:47)

WaffleTundraStudios
Scratcher
83 posts

PapaBalloon1234 wrote:

PapaBalloon1234 wrote:

kasyanthecat wrote:

GIVE IT TO ME!
sorry for replying a few months late lol
It's the engine in my engine project for The Gemstone Quest, I'll try to rip the engine itself with an explanation on how to use it
Oh. Um, I already have the engine coded by now. Sorry!
WaffleTundraStudios
Scratcher
83 posts

dnder wrote:

dnder wrote:

As soon as you're ready to share a beta I'd love to see it. I can help with finding relevant info, what do you need?
Thanks! I'll try to release a beta as soon as I can!
DREAMCHILD_Official
New to Scratch
9 posts

Little bit of an update. I've got the base systems finished, I'm fine-tuning the story, working on improving the soundtrack, and the game still looks ugly as sin. I'm still working on the sprites, but a demo will release hopefully very soon. I'm thinking of making the game in a Gameboy Color or Gameboy style. Tell me what you think so far! I'll send the TurboWarp link.

- Waffle (but not really because it's an alt account)