Discuss Scratch

PizzaAddict4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

--Explosion-- wrote:

PizzaAddict4Life wrote:

While, I think this would be a very good thing to have, the only problem is it might not be feasible.

I think before they could even add live commenting, they should fix the problem of not seeing comments for minutes occasionally. I don't think live commenting will fully work unless even showing comments will fully work.
Hmm, I haven't ever seen tht happen =/ They show up immediately on messages at least.

It isn't like it happens often, but it does happen, enough for it to be noticed. However, it seems that if you just post another comment above it, it will be fixed.

But yeah, once that is fixed that could sound like a great idea, super useful for roleplays and stuff like that. Or even just a discussion.

But I have another question for you, how would the comments be added in? What I mean by that is, how does the comment appear? Does everything below where it needs to go go down, and then it slowly fades in? Does it just pop in?

And what happens when there is a new comment in a studio, not a reply. In a new comment, it would push everything down, but there is a comment limit per page, so what would happen to the comment and replies at the bottom? Would they fade away, or just pop away?

And what about in specific comments, such as in a project, where it only shows and highlights that comment chain. What would happen if a new comment was added, not in the comment chain?

Projects
#SaveCubeupload | Kumquat Attack | Game in which you can submit your avatar

Studios
Be Moist | Forum Helpers

Topics
#RoadToMoist100

Press CTRL+SHIFT+DOWN after highlighting a bit of my signature to see the rest of my signature (and keep doing it)

Whats a stick?

If you suggest that the days since 2000 block is removed, you are going to feel the wrath of my TNT recklessness

My kumquat protectors: (~˘▾˘)~ ( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ) ( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ) ( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ) (◕‿◕✿) ( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ) ( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ) ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Total Power: 35

Ok this is the end of my signature, but scroll down some more if you want some nice color hex codes.

Turquoise ish green: #17e67b
Epic nice blue: #0090c0
Cool light blue: #c4ffec, #a3ffe1, #85ffd7

Bippity Boppity Boo wow you found me congrats
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

I also think that this suggestion might insinuate further that Scratch is a social media, when it isn't. This feature just doesn't feel right for a site intended for education.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Moon-cat90
Scratcher
95 posts

Real time commenting!

fdreerf wrote:

I also think that this suggestion might insinuate further that Scratch is a social media, when it isn't. This feature just doesn't feel right for a site intended for education.
Good point! Scratch isn't a social media, but I support –Explosion– idea because when you are going to do a collab with someone It will be very useful. ( When you collab with someone you can learn something new )

→ᴍᴏᴏɴ ﹣ ᴄᴀᴛ 90 ✉..
✄ - - - - - - -「a b o u t m e ◦ 」↴

ᴍᴏᴏɴ // ɢɪʀʟ // ᴀʀᴛɪsᴛ // ᴘʀᴏᴜᴅ ғᴜʀʀʏ // ᴅᴇᴄᴇᴍʙᴇʀ // ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍᴇʀ // ᴄʜᴏᴄᴏʟᴀᴛᴇ // ᴀɴɪᴍᴇ // ᴀᴇsᴛʜᴇᴛɪᴄ // Sᴘᴀɴɪsʜ ᴜᴡᴜ  // ᴡᴇɪʀᴅ :,) // ᴄᴀᴛ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ // ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ <3 // ʙʟᴀᴄᴋ ʟɪᴠᴇs ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ // sᴛᴀʏ sᴀғᴇ // ғᴏʀᴜᴍ ʜᴇʟᴘᴇʀ // ʙᴇ ᴍᴏɪsᴛ //ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ --
Amazon box official studio
✄ - - - - - - – - - - ✉
HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

I would say that it would just be useful, GitHub is also not Facebook, but the forums still have it, because it can be nice.

Joke of the century: Just made a good remix of this with Scratch's music extension.
                      BE MOIST B) AND CHECK OUT
_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
| |_ _____ | | | |_ _ __ ___ ___ _ __ ___ _ ___ _ __ ___ #RoadToMoist100
| \ \ /\ / / _ \ | | | | | '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '_ \/ __| |/ _ \| '_ \/ __|
| |\ V V / (_) | | |/ /| | | | | | | __/ | | \__ \ | (_) | | | \__ \
\_/ \_/\_/ \___/ |___/ |_|_| |_| |_|\___|_| |_|___/_|\___/|_| |_|___/
--Explosion--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

bump

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)
✰✩✭✴★--Explosion--★✴✭✩✰
Forum helper | boy | platformers | 14yrs | guitar | website

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

This is two duplicates.

Please continue the discussion in the links above. That way, the conversation sticks in two places individually, rather than being scattered across the forums.

Illusion705
Scratcher
500+ posts

Real time commenting!

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

This is two duplicates.

Please continue the discussion in the links above. That way, the conversation sticks in two places individually, rather than being scattered across the forums.
I believe that the second link you gave is a duplicate to. Here's a topic I found that was made before that one: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/8356/

Illusion705

Forum Helper | Past SCC | SDS Curator | SWC Curator | Scratch Wiki Editor

Links

Jeffalo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

so how would it work? ping a server every 10 seconds or something?

perhaps with web sockets but that seems like it adds a lot of unnecessary work for the scratch team. though websockets are very cool

disclaimer: sometimes my posts are pretty critical of the scratch team (especially my older ones), but i really do scratch & scratch team. jvvg made a short essay thing about the scratch team, which is a pretty good read, if you want a different perspective for the scratch team's actions.

my website: jeffalo.net | ocular: scratch forum search

Boomer001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

Support!

Jeffalo wrote:

though websockets are very cool
I agree

:::::::::   ::::::::   ::::::::  ::::    ::::  :::::::::: :::::::::   :::::::   :::::::    :::   
:+:    :+: :+:    :+: :+:    :+: +:+:+: :+:+:+ :+:        :+:    :+: :+:   :+: :+:   :+: :+:+:   
+:+    +:+ +:+    +:+ +:+    +:+ +:+ +:+:+ +:+ +:+        +:+    +:+ +:+  :+:+ +:+  :+:+   +:+   
+#++:++#+  +#+    +:+ +#+    +:+ +#+  +:+  +#+ +#++:++#   +#++:++#:  +#+ + +:+ +#+ + +:+   +#+   
+#+    +#+ +#+    +#+ +#+    +#+ +#+       +#+ +#+        +#+    +#+ +#+#  +#+ +#+#  +#+   +#+   
#+#    #+# #+#    #+# #+#    #+# #+#       #+# #+#        #+#    #+# #+#   #+# #+#   #+#   #+#   
#########   ########   ########  ###       ### ########## ###    ###  #######   #######  ####### 
CHECK OUT MY FORUM STATS

HufflePuffRules1009
Scratcher
100+ posts

Real time commenting!

I fully support!

This makes it easier to chat with users on one page and not reload it to see for new ones! Very useful in Roleplays, or just when your having a friendly chat!

Of course, I’m thinking of adding a button to turn this on, and if you press it a pop-up like this appears:
Turn Real-Time Commenting On?
This will make any new comments appear automatically without reloading the page, but this may cause lag.
Yes | No
Anyways, I fully support this idea!

thanks for reading this but i have nothing else to put here
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

ahem, dupe. guys, continue…. well, actually, they could be merged this has much more discussion that both dupes. so all three (3 includes this topic) could safely be merged.

Be Moist Also, here's a helpful link to Ocular
I am DV4L, Erector of Text Walls, Typer of Long Posts, Creator of Mini-mod posts
The kumquats have eaten this line, so I have to have a new way to repel them.
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
ioton
Scratcher
500+ posts

Real time commenting!

One word:
lag
it would cause lag

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓
▓░░█████░░██████░░█████░░██████░░█░░░█░░░▓
▓░░░▒█▒▒▒░█▒▒▒▒█▒░░▒█▒▒▒░█▒▒▒▒█▒░██░░█▒░░▓
▓░░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░█▒█░█▒░░▓
▓░░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░░░█▒░█▒░██▒░░▓
▓░░█████░░██████▒░░░█▒░░░██████▒░█▒░░█▒░░▓
▓░░░▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒░░░▒░░▓
▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

ioton wrote:

One word:
lag
it would cause lag
When it only happens whenever the servers don't have much to do, it wouldn't.

Joke of the century: Just made a good remix of this with Scratch's music extension.
                      BE MOIST B) AND CHECK OUT
_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
| |_ _____ | | | |_ _ __ ___ ___ _ __ ___ _ ___ _ __ ___ #RoadToMoist100
| \ \ /\ / / _ \ | | | | | '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '_ \/ __| |/ _ \| '_ \/ __|
| |\ V V / (_) | | |/ /| | | | | | | __/ | | \__ \ | (_) | | | \__ \
\_/ \_/\_/ \___/ |___/ |_|_| |_| |_|\___|_| |_|___/_|\___/|_| |_|___/
Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

DarthVader4Life wrote:

ahem, dupe. guys, continue…. well, actually, they could be merged this has much more discussion that both dupes. so all three (3 includes this topic) could safely be merged.
Honestly this has a much more fleshed-out original post and way more discussion at this point. I'd much rather keep the existing momentum going rather than try to move people to a thread that has… 2 posts, and a pretty unspecific OP.
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

Harakou wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

Honestly this has a much more fleshed-out original post and way more discussion at this point. I'd much rather keep the existing momentum going rather than try to move people to a thread that has… 2 posts, and a pretty unspecific OP.
ah. ight. i'll attempt to keep that in mind for the future.

Be Moist Also, here's a helpful link to Ocular
I am DV4L, Erector of Text Walls, Typer of Long Posts, Creator of Mini-mod posts
The kumquats have eaten this line, so I have to have a new way to repel them.
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

Harakou wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

What about these?

This is two duplicates.

Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

Harakou wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

What about these?

This is two duplicates.

That's a different, more specific idea, and the other one is also kinda inactive. I'm going to discuss this more with the other mods to see what we all think, but in general there's a reason we close things as duplicates, so it's important to keep that goal in mind and make sure we're facilitating discussion and the development of good ideas, not hindering it.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Real time commenting!

Thanks for the suggestion - but we're going to pass for now. There are two major concerns we have. First, would be the potential negative effects on the servers. It sounds like the suggestion would be asking more from them and increasing the load on them - something we cannot afford to do at this time. Second, while Scratch has a social media aspect, we want the primary focus to continue to be making and sharing Scratch projects. Increasing the speed of producing comments puts more focus on the social media aspect perhaps at the expense of the project making aspect.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;