Discuss Scratch

MonkeyBean2
Scratcher
100+ posts

multi-touch events

I'm working on an extension, just for this!

9NAwRfSR-%dWFS$a$g&zBMTj2?;jvS?L5%^X%qpCX|A<*paJ=lU07c)wmt$v{TxL5

scratchGui.timeTravel.year = '2020'
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Scratcher
500+ posts

multi-touch events

nyankatpro wrote:

This could easily be used to make mobile-only projects… no support.
Yes - most Scratch users are on PC.

I deleted my account on 9 June 2023. My best projects are still on Scratch. Visit my website for my latest work.
Jackson49_test
Scratcher
100+ posts

multi-touch events

Bump
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Scratcher
500+ posts

multi-touch events

game_pr0grammer wrote:

nyankatpro wrote:

whats wrong with mobile-only projects? doesnt most people have a mobile device anyway?
Scratch is supposed to be open to everyone. The only device I can run Scratch on is my PC.

I deleted my account on 9 June 2023. My best projects are still on Scratch. Visit my website for my latest work.
Endless-Ocean
Scratcher
100+ posts

multi-touch events

My Opinion

This is such an interesting topic. In my opinion, this idea would be very useful for a variety of reasons, like mobile controls, piano games, having more on-screen gestures, etc. While it may seem a bit complicated to implement, I think it could be done. Maybe your idea could be like this:

Possible New Blocks

<() fingers down?>

<touching () fingers?>

when this sprite pressed by () fingers // I don't know how to add hats in scratchblocks. Lol.

The three blocks above are the simplest blocks for this. While they have their limits, these blocks would be simpler than a whole new pointer ID system. Also, these blocks would apply to the original mouse-pointer.

Existing Blocks

The
 <touching [mouse-pointer v] ?> 
would remain untouched, however it would apply to not just the mouse but also to any fingers. Mouse X and Mouse Y would not change.

when this sprite clicked 
would apply to fingers too. Basically this means, if any finger or mouse presses the sprite, it would trigger. The block could possibly also be changed to when this sprite pressed.

Possibility of Being Implemented

While it may take a little bit of work, it wouldn't be too complicated for New Scratchers and would not take way too much to implement.

Side note, Scratch could possibly be hinting at mobile compatibility, as when you tap a number input in the editor, it opens up a number pad.

Do I support this?

I support this idea. While it may lead to mobile-only projects, so what? This can already be implemented, like some people in the discussion pointed out. Also, what if we look at it the other way? Many people who do not have computers are limited to mobile and cannot play quite a lot of the projects on Scratch. With this feature, we could have both computer projects and mobile projects! This would allow Scratch to expand both its community and compatibility.

Not to go off-topic, but the whole thing could literally go on to a fully mobile compatible Scratch editor and website, which could allow for so many more possibilities! I support this. It opens up a whole new world of projects.

Last edited by Endless-Ocean (April 9, 2022 15:30:18)

Hello, I am a coder who likes to experiment and create things on Scratch! I don't release projects that much lately because I have many big projects I'm working on. If you like you can come check out my released projects by clicking my profile picture at the top left of this post. I don't look to get famous on Scratch, but it feels good when people see my projects. Well, see you next post!
-@Endless-Ocean

wait until <(the world is flat?) = [true]>
And the ocean is endless, if you ask me. Ctrl+shift+down or else you'll miss out

Welcome to the hidden world of Endless-Ocean's signature!

Here you can just… um… whatever idk
Nice down here isn't it?

hai4a5
Scratcher
49 posts

multi-touch events

game_pr0grammer wrote:

there should be events that support multi-touch

when this sprite touched::events hat

so what it would do is it would run the event if the sprite is being touched. by “touched” i mean touch as in for a mobile device. so you can have multiple sprites being touched at once. this is different from clicking where you can only have one sprite being clicked at once.

and also i propose a sensing block for this

<this sprite touched?::sensing>

this would make making mobile controls way easier since you would now be able to make a joystick and a jump button that can be pressed at the same time

EDIT: also if you use mouse input then those blocks would behave exactly the same as their counterparts:
when this sprite clicked

<<touching [mouse pointer v]> and <mouse down>>
Full support,

nyankatpro wrote:

what do you say about the pc-only projects that take up 90%something of the explore page?

diep.io? :)

(last key pressed )
custom block
hai4a5
Scratcher
49 posts

multi-touch events

SAVVYSCLUTTER wrote:

game_pr0grammer wrote:

nyankatpro wrote:

whats wrong with mobile-only projects? doesnt most people have a mobile device anyway?
Scratch is supposed to be open to everyone. The only device I can run Scratch on is my PC.
yeah well as I said, most projects are pc-only anyway, is that open to everyone?

diep.io? :)

(last key pressed )
custom block
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Scratcher
500+ posts

multi-touch events

hai4a5 wrote:

yeah well as I said, most projects are pc-only anyway, is that open to everyone?
Scratch is designed to be used on PCs.