Discuss Scratch

Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Make a Strict Policy about the New Scratchers Forum [A Need to Prevent Spam!]

Ban New Guides in the New Scratchers Forum

Please read the whole topic and this before posting!

Hello, everyone! My name is Nambaseking01 but people prefer to call me Nammy since that name is too long. But as per the topic tradition (*sighs*) people can call me whatever they want. Last time someone called me “chocolate”, which isn't my favourite nickname but okay. I'm excited and scared to see what you guys will make of me (no inappropriate names!). My username on GitHub is the same, and my username on Roblox is “amritasai07”, so feel free to ask on my profile if you want to be friends with me.

Please check out my other topics: Truth or Dare: Official Topic and Tutorials/Engine Suggestions

Enough pep talk - what is this suggestion about?

Someone else suggested a better idea, so instead of this, go read this post. If you don't understand the subject yet, just read the paragraph below and then the post given.

Recently, a lot of people have been creating guides and tutorials in the “New Scratchers” forum and the Scratch Team has been constantly closing them due to there being enough. So I propose that they officially make a policy about banning new guides on this forum. But the only change would be that, if an inactive user wants to move their topic to a new one then it would be allowed (or if the Scratch Team wrote one themselves). If you look at the amount of random guides on that forum, it's actually painful to look at (the irony that there is sun shining outside the window as I'm writing this!).

More expanding/clarification on Candylanguagegirl's ideas

The post I gave at the beginning of the last section was unclear about several things so I note the expanded ways of it here. When a user makes a topic in the New Scratchers forum, there will be a message like this at the top:

Hi! Please don't create unnecessary tutorials or guides in this forum, there are already a lot and we have enough. Only make a new topic if you are a New Scratcher introducing yourself or if an owner of an existing guide asked you to take it over.

For the above, it would be nice if someone provided the orange hex code of Scratch instead of that one.

+ As a general clarification, I would like to explain that this won't stop a Scratcher from making a topic in the New Scratchers forum - there will only be a policy that people can break if they are…weirdos… (!)

A little harsh, people can still make topics on Scratch, right?

Go and look at that forum. There are currently seven closed guides on the first two pages and none of them were stickied. The New Scratchers forum should only be for people introducing themselves and not random guides, if you ask me. Those creators, they are harsh.

Proof

Here are some posts @coder2045 posted here about the amount of topics being closed:

coder2045 wrote:

I counted 6 guides.

coder2045 wrote:

Counted again, counted 7 guides on the first 2 pages (besides Paddle2See's one), and one of them was “How to move a sprite.”

+ there are nine supporters!

Special Thanks

The Rainbow Text Generator for the rainbow text at the start!
Candylanguagegirl on Scratch for improving my idea!

I have an idea/question for this suggestion!

Feel free to give your suggestions and ask them! I'd love to consider adding them to this topic. #BanGuidesOnNSF

Thanks for reading,
~Nammy~

Last edited by Nambaseking01 (Jan. 20, 2020 18:31:24)

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
coder2045
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I counted 6 guides.
Support. It does seem to be being filled with random guides and all of them are unnecessary.

Highlight this text and press Ctrl-Shift-Down to view more of my signature. There's a lot in there.
I FOUND THE POSTIE POSTIE POST LINK THIS
Brainteaser: What comes next? Answer on my profile. First correct answer gets a follow.

[ ]
[ [ ] ]
[ [ [ ] ] [ ] ]
Good projects ⬇️

Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

coder2045 wrote:

I counted 6 guides.
Support. It does seem to be being filled with random guides and all of them are unnecessary.

Thanks!

LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

It appears people want a sticky, yet they don't fully realise that stickies on these forums have existed since day dot.

I very much agree that harsher policy is required. Since it's geared towards New Scratchers, maybe only allow New Scratchers (and ST) to create posts, but allow Scratchers to reply (with welcoming messages and all). This should stop people with well-established accounts farming stickies (or, at least, trying to!)
Computer_Fizz
Scratcher
100+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

It appears people want a sticky, yet they don't fully realise that stickies on these forums have existed since day dot.

I very much agree that harsher policy is required. Since it's geared towards New Scratchers, maybe only allow New Scratchers (and ST) to create posts, but allow Scratchers to reply (with welcoming messages and all). This should stop people with well-established accounts farming stickies (or, at least, trying to!)
I don't agree with this, for several reasons:

• The New Scratcher rank is created as an anti-spam measure and is not intended for determining whether or not someone is new to Scratch. Many people on the Suggestions forums do not realize this, but even with 2.0's glorified version of the rank it still shouldn't be used to separate like that.
  • Implementing this would mean that becoming a Scratcher takes away some permissions, when truly it should only add permissions.
  • Scratchers may be confused as to why they used to be able to post there and can't anymore
  • People who need New Scratcher to do so will have no problem creating new accounts

Last edited by Computer_Fizz (Dec. 25, 2019 00:16:26)

coder2045
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Computer_Fizz wrote:

The New Scratcher rank is created as an anti-spam measure and is not intended for determining whether or not someone is new to Scratch. Many people on the Suggestions forums do not realize this, but even with 2.0's glorified version of the rank it still shouldn't be used to separate like that.
Huh???

Computer_Fizz wrote:

Implementing this would mean that becoming a Scratcher takes away some permissions, when truly it should only add permissions.
The forum we're talking about is for new scratchers.

Computer_Fizz wrote:

Scratchers may be confused as to why they used to be able to post there and can't anymore
Maybe they could put it in an existing sticky?

Computer_Fizz wrote:

People who need New Scratcher to do so will have no problem creating new accounts
You can just refuse to accept the invitation, like ResExsention did.

Highlight this text and press Ctrl-Shift-Down to view more of my signature. There's a lot in there.
Brainteaser: What comes next? Answer on my profile. First correct answer gets a follow.

[ ]
[ [ ] ]
[ [ [ ] ] [ ] ]
Good projects ⬇️

Arceu
Scratcher
500+ posts

Ok, Namlord

Support, the New Scratcher forum gets filled with this kind of stuff and blocks out innocent people trying to introduce themselves.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

But since I'm a New Scratcher… Basically I would have the power to create topics whilst still being a firmly set account. People not promoting themselves is a possible (albeit rare) issue.

But support. This is unneeded spam and could really use a bit of moderation.

Last edited by ResExsention (Dec. 26, 2019 06:42:10)

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Thanks for all the supports, guys! I was inactive so, well, I couldn't reply to all of them at once.

Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I wouldn't say ban it entirely- but it might help with moderation if it was clearly stated somewhere that they aren't looking for new stickies in that forum at the moment. A full on ban would be in the same general vein as shutting down the suggestions forum because most of the suggestions are repeats/won't be implemented anyway. I'd imagine there are always exceptions and if somebody came up with something truly new and useful, I can't imagine the topic would just be closed and left at that.

~Fail spectacularly~
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

I wouldn't say ban it entirely- but it might help with moderation if it was clearly stated somewhere that they aren't looking for new stickies in that forum at the moment. A full on ban would be in the same general vein as shutting down the suggestions forum because most of the suggestions are repeats/won't be implemented anyway. I'd imagine there are always exceptions and if somebody came up with something truly new and useful, I can't imagine the topic would just be closed and left at that.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'll change the OP to match that. Thanks for the idea.

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, I've also seen the large amount of closed guide topics on the New Scratchers forum. Those topics just overload that forum with unnecessary guides that may or may not repeat information from the stickies…

I think that there should be some information added in a currently existing sticky topic or a new sticky topic about guide topic rules.

I have about 3450 posts, 90 shared projects, 180 total created/followed topics, and 425 followers.

HW_Games
Scratcher
500+ posts

Nambaseking01 wrote:

Ban New Guides in the New Scratchers Forum

Please read the whole topic and this before posting!

Hello, everyone! My name is Nambaseking01 but people prefer to call me Nammy since that name is too long. But as per the topic tradition (*sighs*) people can call me whatever they want. Last time someone called me “chocolate”, which isn't my favourite nickname but okay. I'm excited and scared to see what you guys will make of me (no inappropriate names!). My username on GitHub is the same, and my username on Roblox is “amritasai07”, so feel free to ask on my profile if you want to be friends with me.

Please check out my other topics: Truth or Dare: Official Topic and Tutorials/Engine Suggestions

Enough pep talk - what is this suggestion about?

Someone else suggested a better idea, so instead of this, go read this post. If you don't understand the subject yet, just read the paragraph below and then the post given.

Recently, a lot of people have been creating guides and tutorials in the “New Scratchers” forum and the Scratch Team has been constantly closing them due to there being enough. So I propose that they officially make a policy about banning new guides on this forum. But the only change would be that, if an inactive user wants to move their topic to a new one then it would be allowed (or if the Scratch Team wrote one themselves). If you look at the amount of random guides on that forum, it's actually painful to look at (the irony that there is sun shining outside the window as I'm writing this!).

A little harsh, people can still make topic on Scratch, right?

Go and look at that forum. There are currently seven closed guides on the first two pages and none of them were stickied. The New Scratchers forum should only be for people introducing themselves and not random guides, if you ask me. Those creators, they are harsh.

I have an idea/question for this suggestion!

Feel free to give your suggestions and ask them! I'd love to consider adding them to this topic. #BanGuidesOnNSF

Thanks for reading,
~Nammy~
Support. The guides seem to be ‘clogging up’ the new scratchers page. Most of them seem to have already been covered, e.g. ‘How to share a project’.

Welcome to the Scratch forums.
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LuckyLucky7 wrote:

Support, I've also seen the large amount of closed guide topics on the New Scratchers forum. Those topics just overload that forum with unnecessary guides that may or may not repeat information from the stickies…

I think that there should be some information added in a currently existing sticky topic or a new sticky topic about guide topic rules.

HW_Games wrote:

Support. The guides seem to be ‘clogging up’ the new scratchers page. Most of them seem to have already been covered, e.g. ‘How to share a project’.

Thanks for all the supports!

coder2045
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Counted again, counted 7 guides on the first 2 pages (besides Paddle2See's one), and one of them was “How to move a sprite.”

Last edited by coder2045 (Jan. 2, 2020 17:12:51)

[ ]
[ [ ] ]
[ [ [ ] ] [ ] ]
Good projects ⬇️

Morimop
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. Why not? There are tons of unnecessary tutorials by new scratchers (ironically), and it's real pain.

Also a pop up can appear when a New Scratcher enters to “New Scratchers” forum for first time.
It can be like this:
“Please do not make unnecessary topics, there are already existing tutorials for new scratchers and blah blah blah”

Last edited by Morimop (Dec. 31, 2019 14:32:07)

i literally have nothing to write here. huh.
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

coder2045 wrote:

Counted again, counted 7 topics on the first 2 pages (besides Paddle2See's one), and one of them was “How to move a sprite.”

See? There is a consistent amount of irrelevant tutorial topics remaining there.

Morimop wrote:

Support. Why not? There are tons of unnecessary tutorials by new scratchers (ironically), and it's real pain.

Also a pop up can appear when a New Scratcher enters to “New Scratchers” forum for first time.
It can be like this:
“Please do not make unnecessary topics, there are already existing tutorials for new scratchers and blah blah blah”

Perhaps like this: Hi! Please don't create unnecessary tutorials or guides in this forum, there are already a lot and we have enough. Only make a new topic if you are a New Scratcher introducing yourself or if an owner of an existing guide asked you to take it over.

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nambaseking01 wrote:

coder2045 wrote:

Counted again, counted 7 topics on the first 2 pages (besides Paddle2See's one), and one of them was “How to move a sprite.”

See? There is a consistent amount of irrelevant tutorial topics remaining there.

Morimop wrote:

It can be like this:

Perhaps like this: Hi! Please don't create unnecessary tutorials or guides in this forum, there are already a lot and we have enough. Only make a new topic if you are a New Scratcher introducing yourself or if an owner of an existing guide asked you to take it over.
I support this idea. Maybe you should add this to the OP.

Additionally, I think that there could be some kind of FAQ page for the discussion forums(if there is not already one), and there could be a “Learn More” link under the message. Would you like me to make a mockup of this?

I have about 3450 posts, 90 shared projects, 180 total created/followed topics, and 425 followers.

Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LuckyLucky7 wrote:

I support this idea. Maybe you should add this to the OP.

Additionally, I think that there could be some kind of FAQ page for the discussion forums(if there is not already one), and there could be a “Learn More” link under the message. Would you like me to make a mockup of this?

Perhaps.