Old Cool Computers

16Skittles wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

The other day a few friends and I were clearing out old (not really “vintage” just bland generic old computers, other than a few iMacs) computers from our school for eWaste recycling, and reclaimed a really nice keyboard from a Tandy 1000. I've never had a mechanical keyboard any more and this one feels amazing. I'm not exactly sure what kind of switch is inside it but once my friend orders the adapters (it needs an AT port, so he's getting AT -> PS2 and PS2 -> USB adapters) we'll be able to try it out on a recent computer. I anticipate that being pretty dang nice…

The only bad thing is no Windows/Super Key. It seems to be normal to not have one for older keyboards, but I'm not quite sure why there is just a gap in between the keys where it should be.
Wow, it must be super old if it doesn't have a Windows key.
I was about to say that keyboards minus the Windows key aren't that old, only 80's and 90's, then I remembered that as far as computing goes, that may as well have been centuries. I'm no old-school computer expert, I'll be honest, but from reddit's /r/mechanicalkeyboards sub I have at least some knowledge of vintage keyboards (particularly the IBM model M)
Wow there's more to ‘mechanical’ keyboards than meets the eye! That subreddit is very interesting too. I hope that you'll be able to restore that keyboard to top notch condition too, and it'd be great to see some pics
I'm still not sure if my friend has ordered the adapters yet, but typing on it without it being connected to anything has been pretty dang glorious. As I said I'm not quite sure of the switch type. It doesn't look like what I've seen of Model M's (buckling spring) nor Cherry or Topre switches. Once we get everything working I'll take some pics for /r/mechanicalkeyboards and I'll post them here too.

Edit: I haven't seen the switch in about a week but IIRC it looked something like NMB Hi-Tek switches. I sent the wiki link to my friend to see if he can confirm.
Sounds cool! I personally use the Apple Wired Keyboard which is scissor action, better than the common mesh style. I haven't tried typing on a mechanical keyboard, but I'd love to try someday xD
I'd never really cared much about keyboards until last year. Last year I was loaned a Lenovo laptop from my school to use for programming for robotics. Lenovo's keyboards are pretty much considered to be the best, with Apple following pretty closely behind. It's a carryover from when Lenovo bought IBM's Thinkpad line, of business-oriented notebooks. It's not a mechanical, it's scissor like yours, but it was enough of a push to get me to the point where once the more important parts of my PC are purchased (doing a full rebuild basically) I'll save for a mechanical keyboard, then a new monitor, then I'll be ready to start upgrading components again, then I can add more monitors… The circle of upgrades. Everything has its proper place.

Unless of course I get this keyboard, in which case either I'll catch the bug and have to keep buying more up until eventually I have spent more on keyboards than on the rest of my PC, or I'll never have to buy another keyboard until that one breaks.
I still have an IBM ThinkPad that says “IBM” on it.
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

QuillzToxic wrote:

goldfish678 wrote:

QuillzToxic wrote:

rocketclock123 wrote:

I don't use old computers. I'm on a Mac OS X
That processor! Thought more from apple.
You're right. Seriously? Four gigabytes? That can't be right.
Might be an old macbook air. Macbook airs are known to be quite low spec compaired to the rest. Apple should make PC cpus
That processor is an intel core i7, that is a very good processor. You most likely wanted to say memory.
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

navysmeagol_175 wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

The oldest computer I have is a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. (At least it still works and I have Scratch 1.4 installed on it). Sadly, it's not very cool (literally). It can get quite hot sometimes.

We used to have a Windows XP computer with 256MB RAM but we couldn't connect to the internet and recycled it.
The oldest computer I've used is that one and by the looks of things, it used to run 98, 98SE or ME because the keyboard has that flying windows look of 3.1 and 9x. I also have another Vista computer, but it doesn't work, and if we can get it booted up, it just goes

after a couple of minutes.

My mum has a couple of DVD's and CD-ROM's for older computers. Some of them can run on Windows 95 and 98.
i have a vista! for some reason i like it even though it is slow buggy and crashes!
I also have a vista but I upgraded to windows 7. Works fine with no problems and no crashings/BSOD
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

jji7skyline wrote:

Xander52 wrote:

Bump, do you hackintoshing guys use tonymacx86 or niresh?
Both, depending on the computer. For my own computer though, I use Clover.
I use clover too!
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

infinitytec wrote:

__init__ wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

thegoldfish wrote:

__init__ wrote:

the oldest thing i have is an old vista PC that got so hot it melted the solder on the graphics card, so then the graphics card got messed up and started sextuplicating the screen, and that's why I don't use that anymore. Vista sucks anyways.
woah. i would actually pay someone to see that
Write a graphic card solder melting simulator.
Seeing double but seeing 6, or 6 screens the way you play console games with 4 players?
Seeing six stretched-out, low-res copies of the screen on the one display.
Picture?
My vista PC did the same! I still have it in the attic somewhere.
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

ry555 wrote:

I have an old Macintosh Performa from when my mom was in collage!
It still works perfectly fine and I have taken it apart lots of times! It runs Mac OS 7.5.1.
I had one but threw it out when I was 7. What a bummer! It had the original box and software and worked perfectly!
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

My school has a vintage iBook G3 “clamshell” advertisement poster that once hung at the apple store. They also have a cart full of powerbook G4 titaniums. They are all in the computer room (not the computer lab). I hope the school gives one of those to me.
SweetieBelleDerelle
Scratcher
100+ posts

Old Cool Computers

There's this old-school Apple Lisa hanging out somewhere in my house. that thing is as tiny as it is heavy

SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

SRS_A wrote:

I used to have a stack of old windows 95/98 and mac OS software disks and games.
They were thrown away when I was 7 and I really regret it.
Also, my dad gave me his old IBM ThinkPad T40. The others (IBM ThinkPad T30s and the T42) got donated to a thrift store.
I also saw a iBook Clamshell with its original box at a yard sale but I sadly didn't get it. I also think my dad has a windows 98 SE
Install CD somewhere in the attic but i'm not sure. I also used to have a PS1 (PlayStation 1) but we gave it to the thrift store along
with the IBM ThinkPad T30s and the T42. We still have the games to it though and I now have a PS4 (Playstation 4).

Link below: A IBM ThinkPad T40, like the one I got
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/laptopoutlet_2267_14818912
You're still better off than me - the oldest Windows-based computer I have runs Windows Vista. As for the oldest Apple computer I have, it's a 2015 MacBook Pro with OS X 10.11. Not very old.
is the mac yours?
vladshine
Scratcher
68 posts

Old Cool Computers

i have a old apple 2gs

old versions are my passion!
peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Old Cool Computers

vladshine wrote:

i have a old apple 2gs
Nice!

The Apple II lineup was an innovative high point. The Macintosh lineup was a really poor decision on Apple's part.

#BringBackDiscuss
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

vladshine wrote:

i have a old apple 2gs
Nice!

The Apple II lineup was an innovative high point. The Macintosh lineup was a really poor decision on Apple's part.
I love apple 2gs
OSimulators
Scratcher
68 posts

Old Cool Computers

I'm using an old Toshiba black laptop running Windows 7 (and it's really thick).
SRS_A
Scratcher
32 posts

Old Cool Computers

OSimulators wrote:

I'm using an old Toshiba black laptop running Windows 7 (and it's really thick).
What did it originally run?
TRACK3R
Scratcher
100+ posts

Old Cool Computers

I used to have Windows XP. But then I upgraded to Windows 7. I have a Dell Inspirion with SRS Premium Sound like this:
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/dell/dell-14r-black-hero-sm.jpg

i'm not dead

or am i

still not.
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Old Cool Computers

Windows 100: it ain't over ‘till it’s over.

Last edited by goldfish678 (July 27, 2016 20:43:27)

vladshine
Scratcher
68 posts

Old Cool Computers

I have an old cpu in my basement, i dont know what it runs windows or linux.

old versions are my passion!
LP_Play
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Old Cool Computers

I have a 2003 XP desktop that I took apart about a month ago. Was planning on using the parts but they seem like they are broken.

goldfish678 wrote:

Windows 100: it ain't over ‘till it’s over.

Snip

aka Windows ME

Last edited by LP_Play (July 28, 2016 00:27:11)

goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Old Cool Computers

Still have that Windows 95 laptop, it's a miracle that it still works
LP_Play
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Old Cool Computers

How to fix BSOD: Install Linux.