Discuss Scratch

bibleboy789
Scratcher
37 posts

Remixing with no changes...

Hey scratch team! i have a suggestion. First lemme tell you why. So there are people that keep remixing my best projects and they change NOTHING at all (it is literally the SAME project!). Now here's the suggestion: When people make projects, they have (not exactly) full control over them, right?
(they can unshare it, make changes, delete comments, Ect.) Well, it would be great if the person that made the original could delete any remixes of their project. Or if not, If scratchers remix projects and are about to share them without changes, There will be a sign or something on-screen that says “You must make changes before sharing this remix.” Thats my suggestion! Thanks.
LegoManiac04
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support.
While I think that this is a nice idea, if someone got the “You must make changes before sharing this remix", they could literally make the tiniest, tiniest change, just so it wouldn't count as a copy. I think this could make the original creator unhappy, since it is technically a copy, but has a change that makes it not a copy.

Remember though, if someone did an EXACT copy of your project, you can report it.

bibleboy789
Scratcher
37 posts

LegoManiac04 wrote:

No support.
While I think that this is a nice idea, if someone got the “You must make changes before sharing this remix", they could literally make the tiniest, tiniest change, just so it wouldn't count as a copy. I think this could make the original creator unhappy, since it is technically a copy, but has a change that makes it not a copy.

Remember though, if someone did an EXACT copy of your project, you can report it.
Okie! Thanks.
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LegoManiac04 wrote:

No support.

I believe if the change isn't noticeable, you can report the project.

Support. I've had enough of those. Unchanged remixes are just plain annoying and useless.

NilsTheChair | 5 years on Scratch | 4000+ posts | former wiki editor | 332nd FPC | CoR founder
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It really depends on what counts as a change.

For instance, I could add a sound “pop”, and not use it anywhere. That would have to count as a changed remix.

Or I could make a tiny dot in the bottom of the screen. That would have to count as a changed remix.

Or even, what if I click the green flag and the thumbnail goes away, then I save it? Does that count as a changed remix?

I think this must be thought about carefully. An automated system like this actually would help, but it wouldn't necessarily remove all possible offenses. Of course, that is what the report button is for.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support; it could cause problems with people not wanting remixes, which goes against the way projects are licensed.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
ChiaJia
Scratcher
62 posts

There are two sides to this:
If this feature is added, it can potentially decrease any unchanged remixers who remix simply to gain views+loves…
However, like other people said, this can encourage no-change remixers to make a minor change, such as recoloring the thumbnail. Since the recolor counts as a change, the remixer can freely share the copied project. There is also controversy as to what counts as a “change.”

Countless projects from my old accounts had remixes without changes, so I support this suggestion. However, instead of a popup that asks the remixer to make a change, what if Scratch automatically puts in the Notes and Credits, “Original project by @{user}. ___ changes made by @{remixer}” and makes this part of the N+C permanent? (so the remixer can't remove it)

Now, you're probably thinking, “but that defeats the purpose of the link in the project page of remixes that shows the original creator and project!”. I understand what your thinking, and that's a completely reasonable argument. However, the presence of that link never eased my frustration whenever a remixer claimed all credit for themself, or worse, claimed to be “me” on an alternate account. If credit to the original creator of a project had to be given, I'd prefer for that credit to be given in the description of the project, not a part of the Scratch page that can be easily ignored.

Also, I think that if the “___ changes made by @{remixer}” is added, it should be invisible to the person remixing the project. This way, they don't see the number and purposely add random changes to increase it, then erase those changes afterwards.

Congratulations!

You have found my invisible signature

You deserve a cookie: ●
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Support. When people remix and hardly change anything I usually get stuck browsing like 10 remixes of the exact same game, with very few changes. And then when I go into one of those remixes I see that the remixer is either:

a) says nothing about credit, “the link at the top does it for me”
b) gives credit
c) takes all the credit

As you can see, two of those outcomes are quite bad.

And yes, as ChiaJia (that name for some reason sounds so satisfying) said, the link at the top of the page is hardly noticeable. What I propose is a sort of forced splashcreen that appears just before the game begins, so nobody can take all the credit when they have to start the game every time with “This is a remix of . . . ”

Last edited by ResExsention (May 9, 2019 04:09:57)

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rather than trying to detect the changes, it could just warn every time a remix is made.

Scratch to Pygame converter: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/600562/
ChiaJia
Scratcher
62 posts

imfh wrote:

Rather than trying to detect the changes, it could just warn every time a remix is made.

Warn who? If you mean warn the original project creator, Scratch already does that…

Congratulations!

imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChiaJia wrote:

imfh wrote:

Warn who? If you mean warn the original project creator, Scratch already does that…
Warn the person creating the remix that they should make changes before remixing. Similar to the cloud warning that appears when you create a cloud variable.

ChiaJia
Scratcher
62 posts

imfh wrote:

ChiaJia wrote:

imfh wrote:

Warn the person creating the remix that they should make changes before remixing. Similar to the cloud warning that appears when you create a cloud variable.

Ah… well, that might help, but like I and other peoplesaid, there is the possibility that a no-change remixer will see the popup and make the the smallest change, like making a small dot in the thumbnail or recoloring one shape. Then, since it isn't an exact copy of your project, the remix can't be reported…

Congratulations!

NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

imfh wrote:

ChiaJia wrote:

imfh wrote:

This sounds like a rather better idea. I would support this.

Hopefully at least this would decrease the amount of unchanged remixes and make people more aware about what remixes are really about. I once saw someone reply to me saying “I remixed it so that I could save it and then show it to my friends”. I don't think they knew what remixes meant or were for…

NilsTheChair | 5 years on Scratch | 4000+ posts | former wiki editor | 332nd FPC | CoR founder
ChiaJia
Scratcher
62 posts

-snip-

NilsTheBest wrote:

Hopefully at least this would decrease the amount of unchanged remixes and make people more aware about what remixes are really about. I once saw someone reply to me saying “I remixed it so that I could save it and then show it to my friends”. I don't think they knew what remixes meant or were for…

Hmmm… now that you mention that, not knowing what remixes are might actually be the largest contributor for no-change remixes. I've always assumed that everyone knew what remixes were…

But I still don't fully support the idea of a popup telling a remixer to make a change. Besides, just telling a Scratcher (who doesn't know what a remix is) to make a change in their remix might not even get the point across that a remix is for adding changes. In the end, the no-change remixer might just make a small change to get rid of the popup.

Congratulations!

imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChiaJia wrote:

-snip-
But I still don't fully support the idea of a popup telling a remixer to make a change. Besides, just telling a Scratcher (who doesn't know what a remix is) to make a change in their remix might not even get the point across that a remix is for adding changes. In the end, the no-change remixer might just make a small change to get rid of the popup.
If you read what I said, it would warn every time even if they made changes. It wouldn't care if changes were made or not. The popup could explain what remixes are for.

imfh wrote:

Thinking about it a bit more, I think that it might be better for the popup to appear right after the remix button is pressed. It would explain what remixes are for and remind the user to make changes before sharing. The only problem is if they forget about it before they share it…

ChiaJia
Scratcher
62 posts

imfh wrote:

ChiaJia wrote:

-snip-
If you read what I said, it would warn every time even if they made changes. It wouldn't care if changes were made or not. The popup could explain what remixes are for.

But what about the people who are innocent and actually want to make their own remix with changes (such as if they're entering a contest)? What about the people who actually know what a remix is for? The popup would just get annoying.

Also, if the popup shows whether or not the remixer makes a change, if this is implemented into Scratch, a lot of Scratchers would start complaining about it. Some might even make a post in the Suggestions forum asking the ST to remove the popup because it's annoying. That would just defeat the purpose of this discussion.

Congratulations!

imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChiaJia wrote:

imfh wrote:

ChiaJia wrote:

-snip-

But what about the people who are innocent and actually want to make their own remix with changes (such as if they're entering a contest)? What about the people who actually know what a remix is for? The popup would just get annoying.

Also, if the popup shows whether or not the remixer makes a change, if this is implemented into Scratch, a lot of Scratchers would start complaining about it. Some might even make a post in the Suggestions forum asking the ST to remove the popup because it's annoying. That would just defeat the purpose of this discussion.
I don't think it would be that annoying. You only have to see it once per remix. It doesn't have to be really big or require clicking an ok button. It could go away automatically, like the cloud warning.

ChiaJia
Scratcher
62 posts

imfh wrote:

-snip-
I don't think it would be that annoying. You only have to see it once per remix. It doesn't have to be really big or require clicking an ok button. It could go away automatically, like the cloud warning.

One suggestion I can think of would be to add a “don't show this alert again” option so that people who remix with good intentions can get rid of the popup… But that has it's downsides too: if someone accidentally turns “don't show this alert” on without reading it and still doesn't know what a remix is.

Also, if the popup is small and not-very-noticeable, as you suggested, that also defeats its own purpose. If it is easily overlooked, no one would know it's there and there would be no reason to add it in the first place.

Congratulations!

ChiaJia
Scratcher
62 posts

imfh wrote:

ChiaJia wrote:

imfh wrote:

-snip-
-snip-

Also, if the popup is small and not-very-noticeable, as you suggested, that also defeats its own purpose. If it is easily overlooked, no one would know it's there and there would be no reason to add it in the first place.
It would be hard to balance between annoying and ineffective. Maybe it could be bigger for the first time, and then smaller for the rest? It's still not perfect as they might not read it the first time.

I agree, it doesn't seem that there's a “middle ground” between annoying and not-noticeable.
Maybe there should just be an announcement or something by the ST about remixes. That might solve a lot of the problems about no-change remixes.

Congratulations!

imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChiaJia wrote:

imfh wrote:

-snip-
It would be hard to balance between annoying and ineffective. Maybe it could be bigger for the first time, and then smaller for the rest? It's still not perfect as they might not read it the first time.

I agree, it doesn't seem that there's a “middle ground” between annoying and not-noticeable.
Maybe there should just be an announcement or something by the ST about remixes. That might solve a lot of the problems about no-change remixes.
An announcement might help some in the short term, but it wouldn't work long term. I think that even if a small notice doesn't solve anything, it at least might help.