Discuss Scratch

clove-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch Reading Camp || April Planning Thread

Hello! How's camp going to far for everyone?
Any book recommendations?

former owner of buzzy bee banners and host of bbbb & src
current high school senior in new england
math & politics nerd, photography & ceramics enthusiast

pro-choice, pro-queer rights. always.

(she/they)

updated as of november 22, 2023.
MiraculousLover05
Scratcher
500+ posts

clove- wrote:

Hello! How's camp going to far for everyone?
Any book recommendations?
Just finished reading “The Castle Behind Thorns”. It's kind of for a lower level (it's in the J Fiction section at the library) but I thought it was really good.

mira ⭒ she/her
Coder_Annika
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Reading Crawl 4/8:
We’ll start out slow, how many bookshelves do you have? Read that many chapters

Now, pick a bookshelf and count how many different series you have. (A series has to have 3+ books, but you only have to own one or more books) Multiply by a number rolled on a die/dice. Read that many pages

How many books are in your favorite series?

Trilogy: Read 12 pages in 10 minutes
4 – 6 books: 15 pages in 10 min
7 or more: 20 pages in 10 min

Now pick your favorite book in the series. Whatever number in the series it is, Multiply by 10 and read that many pages

Now count the chapters, read that many pages

Lets dig a little deeper into that favorite book of yours. What genre is it?

YA: 5 minute sprint

Realistic: Read for 10 minutes with 5 minute breaks

Fantasy: Try for 10 pages in 7 minutes

Sci-fi: Shoot for the stars and read 50 pages as fast as you can

Romance: 10 minute break from TOO MUCH KISSING

Other: Read the same page 5 times wthout stopping
What about your favorite character?

Guy: Read for 15 minutes without stopping

Girl: Read 30 pages without stopping

Can’t decide: Do both

Now, this was shortened, but HAVE FUN.
Take a 20 minute break

Coder_Annika
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Most of my campers are inactive.
But I'm doing well for my goal of 10k

doggiecake
Scratcher
500+ posts

Coder_Annika wrote:

oof keep on going i believe in you

Dogyee
YIAAJSSIDTAI creator ❤ Fangirl ❤ Animator

clove-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Coder_Annika wrote:

Yeah… we're trying!

(she/they)

doggiecake
Scratcher
500+ posts

PEP TALK (I'm mainly just you know doing something, mainly putting off having to redo homework :P I'm not a bad kid my mum just thought my choice wasn't good)
Maybe you've looked at those who have read a stupid amount of pages met there goal of 10,000 and you haven't met yours of 500. That can really put you down. Maybe you look at those novels around you and think ‘i can’t be bothered' and go read that comic you found on a blog or that off the rails fanfiction on WattPad. If you are any of these and think for one second that you are not a reader then you are wrong.
These are the definition of a reader
a person who reads.
a schoolbook for instruction and practice in reading. (a second-grade reader.)
a book of collected or assorted writings, especially when related in theme, authorship, or instructive purpose; anthology: (a Hemingway reader; a sci-fi reader.)
a person employed to read and evaluate manuscripts offered for publication. (a proofreader.)
a person who reads or recites before an audience; elocutionist.
Where does it say that you have to read a novel? You proofread what you're writing, add a page to your total. That Shakespeare play your drama teacher made you read? You read it. Did your relative come round and shove the subtitles on your TV and you read them. Maybe you decided to see what google translated from your favourite K-Pop song. How long did you scroll through Instagram, those memes count you know? This camp celebrates reading what you want to read so maybe you're like Annika who can read Harry Potter or whatever they read 10times through without getting bored. Maybe you're like me and spend hours reading fanfics and AUs. Maybe you're like *insert anyone who does this* and you proofread you're essay and your friends and your sisters. These all count remember read whatever the heck you want and have fun.
Dogyee out.

Dogyee

hpanda16
Scratcher
100+ posts

doggiecake wrote:

PEP TALK (I'm mainly just you know doing something, mainly putting off having to redo homework :P I'm not a bad kid my mum just thought my choice wasn't good)
Maybe you've looked at those who have read a stupid amount of pages met there goal of 10,000 and you haven't met yours of 500. That can really put you down. Maybe you look at those novels around you and think ‘i can’t be bothered' and go read that comic you found on a blog or that off the rails fanfiction on WattPad. If you are any of these and think for one second that you are not a reader then you are wrong.
a person who reads.
a book of collected or assorted writings, especially when related in theme, authorship, or instructive purpose; anthology: (a Hemingway reader; a sci-fi reader.)
a person employed to read and evaluate manuscripts offered for publication. (a proofreader.)
Where does it say that you have to read a novel? You proofread what you're writing, add a page to your total. That Shakespeare play your drama teacher made you read? You read it. Did your relative come round and shove the subtitles on your TV and you read them. Maybe you decided to see what google translated from your favourite K-Pop song. How long did you scroll through Instagram, those memes count you know? This camp celebrates reading what you want to read so maybe you're like Annika who can read Harry Potter or whatever they read 10times through without getting bored. Maybe you're like me and spend hours reading fanfics and AUs. Maybe you're like *insert anyone who does this* and you proofread you're essay and your friends and your sisters. These all count remember read whatever the heck you want and have fun.
Dogyee out.

So true!!
doggiecake
Scratcher
500+ posts

hpanda16 wrote:

doggiecake wrote:

a person who reads.
Dogyee out.

So true!!
thanks How's mysteryee coming

Dogyee

doggiecake
Scratcher
500+ posts

Guys can everyone give me a faint description so i can do something to celebrate how awesome this month is and going to be. It's going to be a bit like a year book (Inspired by SWC)

Dogyee

clove-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

doggiecake wrote:

Guys can everyone give me a faint description so i can do something to celebrate how awesome this month is and going to be. It's going to be a bit like a year book (Inspired by SWC)
What's a faint description

(she/they)

hpanda16
Scratcher
100+ posts

doggiecake wrote:

hpanda16 wrote:

doggiecake wrote:

a person who reads.
Dogyee out.

So true!!
thanks How's mysteryee coming

It’s going good, although because of Bareera leaving I’m now leader and it’s weird cause I’ve got no co. But it’s all good How’s Fantasy?
marshmallowmuffins
Scratcher
100+ posts

hm
Berricake
Scratcher
69 posts

isnt this just-

Coder_Annika
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Berricake wrote:

isnt this just-
Just what? SWC? Wasn't that resolved already?

FloraFauna_SS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

doggiecake wrote:

Hey, it's fine if you use this idea but please credit SWC, thanks

FloraFauna_SS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Coder_Annika wrote:

Berricake wrote:

isnt this just-
Just what? SWC? Wasn't that resolved already?
hmMMMMM

Coder_Annika
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Doggie already explained their inspiration here, and I quote:
“SRC started as a war if you haven't seen them scratchers would collab to make projects. I held one about reading but I got one sign-up other all so it was taken down. In October I saw the project and after signing up for SWC I put the two together to create SRC. SWC is humongous but many camps are held like this, it's just that they're similar topics and require the same names etc.”

doggiecake
Scratcher
500+ posts

FloraFauna_SS wrote:

doggiecake wrote:

Hey, it's fine if you use this idea but please credit SWC, thanks
I’ve already stated that it was inspired and I will put that in the project as well.

Dogyee

doggiecake
Scratcher
500+ posts

clove- wrote:

doggiecake wrote:

What's a faint description
Hair eye colour. Just enough to draw so hair length gender etc

Dogyee